2 Broke Girls

• Please log in to reply

2249 replies to this topic

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

I actually liked the upper East side mom scene. Thought that was funny "no not that one, the cute one". I found Max's voice annoying. I'll probably give it a few more chances since I really wanted to like this show and it's right before H50 so I'll watch.

CoveredInGaston

CoveredInGaston

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

Wow. I watched the first episode and wondered aloud how they were going to cram more hilarious foreign stereotypes into this show, and as the girls were listing their potential jobs and got to "Janitor" and "Drug Mule", my housemate said "well, there you go". Unfortunately that made me laugh much harder than anything in the show itself. I won't be tuning back in, hope it gets better for those sticking with it!

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

Especially if they won't want to use whatever connections they might have had through their family.

Not to mention, people hate her family a WHOLE lot. They'd be pariahs. It stands to reason that her family now has nothing AND no one - they're bad PR, and they likely swindled people they knew. Business school is all about networking, so she could maybe use some Wharton connections, but again, people would be loath to give her a hand up. I know if any of my b-school friends showed up in the papers for swindling folks out of billions, I doubt I'd try to help them find work.

If she has a graduate degree she'd be at least mid twenties. I don't know anything about business school, but law school is three years, and Wikipedia says business school is about two years.

Business school is two years, so she's 24 at the youngest unless they make her some kind of wunderkind that graduated from high school at 15 or something.

Yeah, plus I think that knit hat line was a bunch too labored.

The knit hat line was by far the worst line in the episode. Hipsters don't listen to Coldplay, and it just wasn't funny.

ETA: Oh and even at the trendiest bakeries here in NYC, cupcakes cost like $3.50-$4, max!

I was thinking that too - Magnolia Bakery cupcakes are $3. Cupcakes are still trendy, but I don't know anyone who would pay $7 for one. You can bake a whole cake for $7.

Also, full-time nannies in Manhattan make decent money - if Max is nannying for a rich family, she might not need to wait tables to scrape by. She'd still be living with roommates (especially in Williamsburg), but she wouldn't be broke-broke. Although I guess if she likes selling her cakes, waiting tables gives her a place to do that.

Brighton Beach would make more sense for a diner formerly owned by the Russian mob, and also for someplace people don't really go AND for an area with cheaper rent. Trustafarians have driven Williamsburg prices way up.

LekoBoy

LekoBoy

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

"Oh those? I don't know what they're called, but they make smart girls stupid."

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

It wasn't bad. Kat Dennings was the best part, and at times I was thinking she needs to be on a better show. They need to scrap most of the diner characters.

It did throw me off that the vibe was very "classic sitcom" while some of the jokes were very dirty. I did laugh at "She's coming!" though.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Business school is two years, so she's 24 at the youngest unless they make her some kind of wunderkind that graduated from high school at 15 or something

Like some people mentioned upthread, Wharton has an undergrad program, so she could be 22 and just have a BA.

I watched the first two scenes of this and tuned in for a few bits later in the show. I thought it was a really jarring combination of edgy humor in a dated production setting with the laugh track and 3 camera setup. I liked Dennings but not the other girl. I probably will not be tuning back in. Too many other choices on TV.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

I went to college in Manhattan with a ton of fancy types who would never ever set foot in Brooklyn and behaved as if it were a third world country.

Yes, I know, but Williamsburg is hipster-trendy these days, so, out of all of NY's many neighborhoods, it's not the one to pick if you want to be sure of never seeing anyone from your former fancy Manhattan life.

I think a Brighton Beach (or Coney Island - which would actually be pretty funny all by itself) setting, as suggested upthread, would have made more sense, as would almost any neighborhood in Queens or the Bronx, and it would have had the added humor potential of being unfamiliar to the audience. Anyway, whatever, Williamsburg it is, so we'll see how the show develops.

Edited by A Little Edgy, Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:54 AM.

Temmere

Temmere

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:00 AM

Terrible. Truly, truly not funny.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

It's a pretty groundbreaking show. A rich girl that's neither slutty or dumb? I don't believe that's ever happened before on network television.

I liked it more than the season opener of How I Met Your Mother, meaning that I actually laughed a few times. I thought both girls were very appealing, and I'm looking forward to the episodes where their savings takes a hit.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:07 AM

Also, full-time nannies in Manhattan make decent money - if Max is nannying for a rich family, she might not need to wait tables to scrape by. She'd still be living with roommates (especially in Williamsburg), but she wouldn't be broke-broke. Although I guess if she likes selling her cakes, waiting tables gives her a place to do that.

I don't think she was a full time nanny. There was a morning nanny mentioned by the mom and since Max works nights there must be a night nanny. She may have been the 3rd hired so the opportunity to be full time nanny isn't there for her.

Not having been to NYC more than twice, my entire knowledge of Brooklyn is that the SATC girls were upset when Miranda moved there so whether this is set in Brighton Beach or Williamsburg or what location is hipster is way beyond me.

SilverLake0315

SilverLake0315

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

.....and it's right before H50 so I'll watch.

That was only the slot for this week. Next week, "Mike & Molly" will be back on at 9:30 and "2 Broke Girls" will move to its permanent spot at 8:30/7:30c.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

I'll give it a couple of episodes. I like Kat Dennings too.

The only scene I didn't really enjoy was the one with Caroline and Max's boyfriend. Could have done without it.

No, but it did show that she had some morals and was pretty loyal to the only person that's been nice to her.

Arya Snark

Arya Snark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

No, but it did show that she had some morals and was pretty loyal to the only person that's been nice to her.

This is true. Caroline's a breath of fresh air when it comes to rich, pretty girls on television.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

Not having been to NYC more than twice, my entire knowledge of Brooklyn is that the SATC girls were upset when Miranda moved there so whether this is set in Brighton Beach or Williamsburg or what location is hipster is way beyond me.

Williamsburg, where this show is set, is a part of Brooklyn that had nothing going on when my mom and grandmother were growing up in Brooklyn - Mom says it had nothing but "vacant lots and overpasses." But it has become trendy and gentrified and artsy and as a result, very pricey. Artists were drawn to the area initially for lower rents but rents have increased dramatically since the '90s. There are areas of Manhattan that are cheaper to live in than Williamsburg, high-rise condos going up, etc. Brighton Beach is next to Coney Island, so it's "out of the way" - it's a hike to get there from Manhattan. (I used to work with someone who lived out there because it was so cheap - she only lasted a year because it took her 90 minutes to get to our office in midtown.) It's also known for being an enclave for Russian immigrants and by extension, the Russian mafia, hence why having the diner set there would make sense since the owner bought it from the Russian mob. Not trying to lecture, just trying to give a framework.

I don't think she was a full time nanny. There was a morning nanny mentioned by the mom and since Max works nights there must be a night nanny. She may have been the 3rd hired so the opportunity to be full time nanny isn't there for her.

I wasn't even thinking about a night nanny - I was thinking more 8-5. I used to do a lot of weekend babysitting for families with full-time nannies when I was in college (in Manhattan) and the nannies worked about 8-5 Monday through Friday, generally speaking. It sounded like Max worked 10-3ish; I think she said she had to be at her second job by 10 and she'd be home by 4 so she and Caroline could go to work together.

I enjoy Garrett Morris but I kind of don't see the point of his character.

This is true. Caroline's a breath of fresh air when it comes to rich, pretty girls on television.

Yeah, I like that she's clueless, not mean. And not stupid either - she doesn't know much about the workaday world, but she's not a bimbo.

Edited by Empress1, Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:48 AM.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:06 PM

I enjoy Garrett Morris but I kind of don't see the point of his character.

Crazy old guy who comes up with off-the-wall rants? I remember him from the primordial days of SNL, and I think he has the potential to be funny in this role. As with any new show, I think it will take a few episodes to get to know the characters, including the diner owner and the letcherous chef.

Anosmia

Anosmia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

Not to mention, people hate her family a WHOLE lot. They'd be pariahs. It stands to reason that her family now has nothing AND no one - they're bad PR, and they likely swindled people they knew.

Plus Max's nanny employer said that Caroline had tried to crash with multiple friends and all of them basically slammed in the door in her face--further proof that she doesn't have many viable connections at her disposal right now.

I hate laugh tracks and I was determined to not take on any new shows this season, but somehow I found myself getting sucked into watching it. To my surprise, I actually chuckled a few times. I guess I'll probably stick with it for a few weeks and see how it develops. At this point I think the pendulum could swing in either directions, in terms of this becoming a schlocky mess or a smart, enjoyable comedy.

Lara

Lara

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

I ended up enjoying it so maybe there is something to the 90's feel considering I've watched very few sitcoms since.

I used to live in Bay Ridge, that could have been another option since there's no way UESers would make that trek on the R train. :P Williamsburg makes me think of Gossip Girl, oh well. If they're going to joke on hipsters it's admittedly a good spot.

Btw, considering Arcade Fire last played Madison Square Gardens I don't think they'll be doing the Music Hall of Williamsburg again anytime soon! But it was a fun shoutout.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:44 PM

Williamsburg, where this show is set, is a part of Brooklyn ....

Thanks for the overview. As someone who lives in flyover country (but with lots of family in the NYC area, Bergen County NJ, my Dad was born in the Bronx, so I've been to NYC quite a few times, but mostly Manhattan) as far as I'm concerned Williamsburg is in Virginia, and Brooklyn is TV code for "not Manhattan, but not TOO ghetto". Sorry to stereotype all the NYC boroughs that way, but everyone in NYC stereotypes the rest of us as "not anywhere interesting" (and that might be true to a degree).

I thought the show was okay, but didn't pay much attention, as I don't remember thinking it was dirty. I heard the "you're getting me wet" joke and though "seriously, come on", but I don't remember the others that people are talking about.

I think the show has potential. It wasn't great, but HIMYM has fallen so much and yet I still turn that on... If the TV is on, I'll watch this one for awhile.

Edited by Skittl1321, Sep 20, 2011 @ 12:44 PM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

I thought it was cute, but not hilarious. I think the part with the upper east side mom was the highlight. Most of the diner stuff fell flat. The problem with the finger-snapping scene is that it went on for too long. But the leads are appealing and I'm impressed the shallow blonde isn't a dimwit. Has potential. Not too much of an investment to make putting it on the DVR. For now.

dietcoker

dietcoker

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

a pretty groundbreaking show. A rich girl that's neither slutty or dumb? I don't believe that's ever happened before on network television.

This is exactly what I was thinking. As far as pilots go, I thought this one was great. But it's mainly because I love the rish girl character.

I didn't do the math but I don't see how they are going to rai 250k in 2 years. Otherwise, I agree with the other New Yorkers about the cost of cupcakes. Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes are one of the tastiest things I have ever had in my life and they are 2.50 a piece (at the Grand Central location).

I've never been to Williamsburg. But I thought it was a trendy, expensive neighborhood. Her apartment was pretty big and had a yard. I found the portrayal of the neighborhood as some sort of far away dangerous slum was very odd as well. But I guess from the perspective of a billionaire, anything outside of the exclusive neighborhoods of Manhattan would seem that way.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

I was expecting this to be awful, but I have to say, I really liked it. I didn't LOVE it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the acting was off at times, but the writing was mostly great. Kat Dennings was mostly awesome, too.

Yup, I think I'm gonna stick with this one for a while.

lostmind

lostmind

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:26 PM

I thought it was ok. Looking to see how it goes.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

Yikes. I was disappointed. I thought it was crap. I hate old style 1980 ish sitcoms. The sets seemed so cheap and tacky. Did not like this show at all and it never once made me laugh. Oh well...off to find a funny show.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

I like it. As with most pilots there are kinks that need to be worked out, and I'm sure they will. As long as CBS posts the episodes to their site, I'll keep watching.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 4:08 AM

I loved Caroline's character. I want to know more about Max, so I'll give the tired jokes and awful laugh track a pass.

The horse and the New York stereotypes though? Ugh! I really, really hated how they made the subway look. Has anyone who works on this show been on the subways in the past 15 years? Also, the Manhattan socialite grated--nobody is that vapid.

The show has a lot of potential and I honestly love the Bernie Madoff angle, so I'm looking forward to it staying on the air long enough to work out the kinks and strike a balance.

sprinter

sprinter

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 7:52 AM

This has a ton of potential but it could also go the other way and become unwatchable. For now, I'll keep watching; the two girls are excellent and the humor is surprisingly sharp (if a little broad).

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 8:56 AM

A quarter of a million dollars just to open a shop that sells cupcakes? Well okay it's a "conceit", but if you're in your twenties and can raise $250K in two years between the two of you might as well just keep doing whatever that is for another ten years and retire to Costa Rica at age 35 and make cupcakes for your friends for the rest of your life.

Non-idiot rich girl is a pleasant surprise and Kat old school va-va-voom and funny. She could play Mae West in a biopic if she hasn't already. But man that laugh track grates. I often watch TV on mute with the CC on. Too bad there isn't a separate laugh-track mute. I thought Chuck Lorre was the only person still doing those. Pity.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

but if you're in your twenties and can raise $250K in two years between the two of you might as well just keep doing whatever that is for another ten years and retire to Costa Rica at age 35 and make cupcakes for your friends for the rest of your life.

I didn't really hear what her plan was, but I kind of thought "oh, crazy rich girl has no idea how hard it is to get money". So I'm not really expecting for the plan to go well. Maybe the intent is that they actually are able to do it- in which case, your plan sounds better than cupcake shop.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

a pretty groundbreaking show. A rich girl that's neither slutty or dumb? I don't believe that's ever happened before on network television.

I wouldn't say never been done. I could see that on my tv every week in the 1980's. Two words, Blair Warner.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:36 AM

I didn't really hear what her plan was, but I kind of thought "oh, crazy rich girl has no idea how hard it is to get money". So I'm not really expecting for the plan to go well

It was something to the effect that they both could get 2 jobs and earn $2000 a week which is vaguely doable if they each earn 12.50/hr and each work 2 40 hr/week jobs. I'm also expecting setbacks to occur, which is what usually happens to the working poor. They get a teeny bit ahead and then break an arm or something with no insurance.

Since my mom told me once (and she grew up in Manhatten in the 40s and 50s), that they used to house the Central Park horses in a building and took the horses up and down the service elevator (this MAY be an urban legend but she says she saw it happen), I'm oddly okay with the horse in the back yard. I would imagine their landlord finding out about that may be one of their financial setbacks.

Honestly I spent most of the episode transfixed by Max's boobs in that waitress uniform. It seemed to really emphasize the size difference between the two women as blondie was swimming in hers. (I know it was the Russian waitress's uniform prior and I am sure she would probably have been described as 'buxom'). I'm undoubtedly reading too much into it but it really seems to emphasize the class difference between the two women as blondie represents anorexic chic and Max is more a "real" woman. (I'm not at all saying she's fat, just she has curves and blondie doesn't really.)