2 Broke Girls

• Please log in to reply

2250 replies to this topic

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

I looked and couldn't find a thread for this already. Let me know if there is one already. Anyone going to watch this one?

Set in New York City, the series chronicles the lives of two waitresses in their twenties—Max (Kat Dennings), who comes from a poor working-class family, and Caroline (Beth Behrs), who was born rich but is now down on her luck—working together at a Brooklyn restaurant. The two become fast friends and build their dream of one day opening a cupcake shop (for which they need to raise $250,000), although they can barely afford anything with the pay they receive at work, and must continually find ways to make ends meet. Among those working with them at the restaurant are their boss, Han Lee (Matthew Moy); Oleg (Jonathan Kite), a cook; and Earl (Garrett Morris), the cashier.

kiseki

kiseki

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 3:29 PM

I will but I'm trying to watch every pilot this season. That being said, this was the only preview for a multi-cam that made me smile instead of cringe.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

I will watch probably the first few because I adore Kat Dennings. That being said, I didn't love the previews I saw but all the critics keep raving about it. So I'm hopeful. And actually I hadn't see the description, so I'm glad to see that there is a running plot/goal for the girls.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:49 AM

This is the new sitcom that I'm most looking forward to. But that's not saying much because none of the other sitcom premises/previews that I've seen looked good.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

Extended preview on YouTube.

This looks like a show that has potential. Kat Dennings cracked me up in it. At least Beth Behrs' character doesn't seem like a complete moron and seems like she may have a heart of gold.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

I really want to like the show, but that preview looked really bad. Maybe I'm just not cut out for laugh-tracked sitcoms any more.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

I'm looking forward to watching this show. I've heard nothing but raves.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:11 PM

The AV Club has a (slightly) spoilery review of the pilot. Which, in passing, reminded me this was created by Whitney Cummings. I'm curious, has anyone said how is she going to EP this show while being lead actress on her other new show? I assume she won't be showrunning day to day, but have they said what her involvement is/will be?

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

This is probably the best of the new comedy pilots I've seen so far. And after a night of so-so CBS comedies, long past their prime, it was good to see something a bit original.

I do agree that everything besides the two girls needs to GO AWAY. The Asian boss, the vaguely foreign kitchen worker, the spoiled society broad stereotype that wasn't funny in the nice version on "Mad Love". Are she and 'mean waitress' supposed to be related somehow? I thought I heard that, but have no idea.

Garrett Morris can stay, though I'm not sure what his purpose is.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

I thought this was terrible. I'm no prude but some of that stuff was over the top and makes me miss wholesome sitcoms.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

I don't see what everyone is raving about. I had really high hopes, but this totally felt like 90s sitcom.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

It was kinda cute. Obviously, nothing ground breaking, but it's supposed to air after How I Met Your Mother this season, and I can keep the TV on a half hour longer for a little while to see how it turns out. I feel like they tried to cover a lot in the episode, and that the script could have improved a lot from a few extra minutes. But pilots aren't like regular episodes, and since I don't have to make an extra effort to catch it, I'll probably watch again next week.

I had really high hopes, but this totally felt like 90s sitcom.

I totally get what you're saying. It definitely felt like the kind of shows that used to air on TGIF. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I was a kid during that time, but they were entertaining enough, if nothing particularly special.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I agree that it felt a bit retro, but I enjoyed it. I feel too many sitcoms have fallen flat lately trying to emulate the few really good ones that have come out the last few years (Office, Modern Family, etc)., but nothing wrong with something like this if it makes you laugh and I laughed a lot.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

Add me to the "It feels like a '90s show" crowd. Of course, I think everything was better in the '90s, so this is not necessarily a bad thing for me. I enjoyed the episode. It didn't blow me away by any means, but I didn't feel like I wasted a half hour of my life by checking it out. This also feels like the kind of show that probably doesn't need half, if any, of the supporting characters they have, or perhaps they should have created better ones. If anything is going to get old really fast, it's them.

The shtick of showing the savings tally at the end of the episode is kind of a cute touch, too. I'd imagine as the girls get into shenanigans, as characters are prone to do on these kinds of shows, the total will be seeing deductions.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

90's sitcoms didn't have the semen jokes, coming, put your tambourine around it etc...society has really degraded.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

too forcibly quirky and the laugh track grates. Still its a pilot so I'll give the Denningses a couple more episodes.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

90's sitcoms didn't have the semen jokes, coming, put your tambourine around it etc

I'm pretty sure similar ground was covered by the likes of Seinfeld and Married with Children.

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:36 PM

I'm pretty sure similar ground was covered by the likes of Seinfeld and Married with Children.

Seinfeld was a lot more subtle. Married with Children wasn't subtle but even so I think they were still pretty careful how some things were worded.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

I always figure you have to watch a few episodes of a new show before making a decision, since the pilot has to spend time just introducing characters and developing a background to build on. That said, I found some lines tonight pretty funny, I think the Odd Couple relationship between the waitresses could be amusing, and I'll watch again next week.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

The shtick of showing the savings tally at the end of the episode is kind of a cute touch, too.

I really liked that too. And the horse. This show may end up being more cute than hilarious, but it could still work. And it's not like I wasn't amused at all. I think there are some good elements there, but it's definitely still rough around the edges.

Fonzie

Fonzie

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:49 PM

Both girls had good comic timing--I liked this show overall.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

NYC is supersaturated with cupcake shops; you'd think a Wharton grad would take something like that into consideration.

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

I know its a silly sitcom and only the pilot. However, I hope they still at least try to address the following questions:

1) Okay, Caroline lost all her money and her dad is in jail. So, does that mean it was only her and her dad?! No mother or siblings?! Because why isn't she with them if she has a mother and siblings?!

2) Caroline has a business degree and I assume business skills and connections. Yet she can only get a job as a waitress?! Wouldn't an MBA land her something more professional?!

manytwos

manytwos

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

@ above

Item Two:
It was mentioned that she picked the diner to avoid everyone from her regular social circle, therefore we assume that she would avoid said previous connections to gain more respectful employment.

Edited by manytwos, Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:06 PM.

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

It's not unrealistic that in today's economy someone with an MBA is waiting tables. Especially if they won't want to use whatever connections they might have had through their family.

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

I found the vent to her customers that were snapping in her face HILARIOUS. I will definitely be watching next week.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

2) Caroline has a business degree and I assume business skills and connections. Yet she can only get a job as a waitress?! Wouldn't an MBA land her something more professional?!

Not to mention that nepotism goes a long way, even if the famous family member is not so liked by the public.

She's supposed to be basically Bernie Madoff's daughter, right? Can you imagine the media circus if Bernie Madoff's Wharton-grad daughter was working as a waitress in some hole-in-the-wall diner in New York?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Caroline has a business degree and I assume business skills and connections. Yet she can only get a job as a waitress?! Wouldn't an MBA land her something more professional?!

It was mentioned that she picked the diner to avoid everyone from her regular social circle

Plus, it's a recession. This (fictional) person would hardly be the first MBA to have to take a job waiting tables.

At least they didn't make it about that...

clevernamehere

clevernamehere

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

I liked this. Not sure I’ll be tuning in every week, but it has potential.

Caroline has a business degree and I assume business skills and connections. Yet she can only get a job as a waitress?! Wouldn't an MBA land her something more professional?!

I think the idea is that she is radioactive right now and no one wants to hire her. If Paris Hilton is ancient, I’m guessing she’s supposed to be early 20s and wouldn’t have strong enough connections to overcome the family baggage. I think the reason she was avoiding people was that she didn’t want them to know how low she’d sunk, not that she was loathe to use connections.

I totally get what you're saying. It definitely felt like the kind of shows that used to air on TGIF.

It is definitely trying to be edgier than that. All the TGIF shows were pretty clean, family oriented sitcoms which have pretty much disappeared from broadcast TV.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I’m guessing she’s supposed to be early 20s

If she has a graduate degree she'd be at least mid twenties. I don't know anything about business school, but law school is three years, and Wikipedia says business school is about two years. Most people finish high school at age 18 and undergrad at about 22, which would make her about 24 (assuming she's fresh out of Wharton).

ETA: Paris Hilton is 30, and hasn't really been popular (YMMV) in four years. I think Caroline was calling Hilton passé more than old.

Edited by ddawn23, Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:27 PM.