Suburgatory

• Please log in to reply

1583 replies to this topic

BabyElla

BabyElla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

After the episode ended, I noticed something: he didn't move on easily. I'd forgotten about her clothes until the very end, then the entire episode fell into place. Chain of events: Tessa sent her clothes to Ryan, Ryan's roommate wouldn't leave them alone, and Ryan fumbled. With that sequence of events, Tessa's clothes probably made him not want to "be" with June so he asked his roommate not to leave them alone, and Tessa literally threw him off his game when he fumbled.

Interesting. I never thought of it this way. At the end of the episode, when Tessa got Ryan's text, I started yelling at the TV. "Text him back! Text him back!" And I know it's wrong, but I hope "Enlisted" gets canceled so Ryan can come back. And I hope Suburgatory doesn't get canceled in the meantime.

The Shay's are weird, and they've gone from being funny weird to being uncomfortably creepy weird. They did have some funny lines--June's carry-on bag being full of boy shorts, and June being a jinx for Ryan, but the way they were all up in his sex life? Weird. And the fact that they know nothing about the life-changing events in Lisa's love life? Sad.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 8:41 AM

I'd rather save Enlisted and cancel Suburgatory, not that I think it's an either-or situation.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

What did the text say? I can't read those kinds of things on a TV screen with my near-sightedness.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 12:11 PM

Something along the lines of "Am I supposed to know what this bag of clothes means?"

Sparger Springs

Sparger Springs

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:46 PM

I loved Malik's song so adorable. But, I wish he stuck to his guns and didn't propose to that girl. I hope the season doesn't end with a teen wedding and Tessa making goo goo eyes at Ryan.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

It seems like the writers don't know to do with George, which is weird since he's one of the show's leads. But his plotlines haven't interested me all season.

This one about his girlfriend kinda came out of nowhere.  They could have shown her being a bit abrasive in prior episodes and I am not sure I even knew she had her own business.  Really I don't know enough about her to care that her and George are over.

I miss Ryan.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:55 AM

I would love a spinoff of Malik's family.  I loved how the mom was so WTF at Lisa singing but then got into it and ended up joining her. 

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

I generally hate sappy stuff like that proposal but dammit, Malik's song was just so cute. I still say it's a huge mistake for them to get married though.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Yeah they are too young to marry, perhaps if they set the date after college graduation, but if they marry they must go to the same college now..

Dalia almost got Jane Levy's age right, she's 24, if it weren't for the "teen" clothes she'll look more her age..

I've got more sadness than joy from this episode, more sad people than happy ones IMO.

I wish George would take a leap of faith and go for it with the dog lady.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 4:28 PM

Did anyone else squee when Malik proposed?  I actually did.  My cats were startled.

Not that I think teenage marriage is a good thing, but some do work out, and both Malik and Lisa are going into their engagement (hopefully a long one) with eyes wide open.

The visual of the dog with the mustache made me laugh.

Every damn time I hear a song I like, I look it up on Google, and it's always Bruno Mars.  Always.  Either he writes millions of songs, or I have very specific taste.

NightCruller

NightCruller

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 12:19 AM

And I know it's wrong, but I hope "Enlisted" gets canceled so Ryan can come back.

I'd rather save Enlisted and cancel Suburgatory, not that I think it's an either-or situation.

According to TV By the Numbers, "Enlisted" is most likely canceled. "Suburgatory" is a question mark by all accounts.

And I have to disagree that it's not an either or. I think they learned that in "Suburgatory" the Tessa/Ryan relationship (particularly Ryan character) was what they needed to balance the show. Tessa/Dahlia is great for this, but it's more combative and best in small doses. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why the show's been in bubble limbo since he announced he was leaving. They were waiting to see what would happen to "Enlisted."

Unrelated question. During Malik's song, does anyone know who the people in the blond wigs were suppose to be?

bros402

bros402

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 1:44 AM

Unrelated question. During Malik's song, does anyone know who the people in the blond wigs were suppose to be?

The Medium Fan Club!

NightCruller

NightCruller

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Oh yeah!! I completely forgot about that! Thanks.

Edited by NightCruller, Mar 30, 2014 @ 9:50 AM.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

I loved Malik's proposal. It was the perfect proposal for the two of them even if Lisa is verging on creepy/obsessive these days. I do hope the actress stops losing weight though. I know her weight loss has been talked about a little bit here, and I've noticed she's getting the lollipop look since her body is so little compared to her head, but I didn't really realize how drastic it's been until last night. I saw an old repeat of Private Practice and she was the daughter of the patient of the week. She was a bit chunky and probably bordering on overweight, but to see her then and now is just startling and not in a good way. 

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 10:29 AM

She was a bit chunky and probably bordering on overweight

And what's funny is that when you see an actress who looks borderline overweight, they usually are nor. But when she's standing side-by-side with stick-thin actresses, and when you consider the weight that the camera adds, she can look chunky.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 12:24 PM

Loved meeting Dallas' family. Here sisters are Georgia, and what were the other two? Julia Duffy certainly is getting a lot of work these days, she's been popping up all over the place. Tessa with the big hair was funny too (especially since nobody in Dallas' family thought she had big hair). The stuff with George, Fred and Noah was pretty pointless though.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Yes, the song was the best part of the episode. I did like the entire ep, except for Lisa's karaoke.

I loved that the women of the family really got into the song.  If Lisa and Malik do (one day far in the future) get married, she's clearly joining a family she fits into.

The stuff with George, Fred and Noah was pretty pointless though.

The entire "I want to switch dates on this blind date" thing is so gross.  But I did love that in the run up to that date, we learned that George has a secret fantasy about doing something to Noah.  In a sexual way.  I'm dying to know what he was thinking at that moment.

And during Malik's song and dance (from the previous episode, which I just watched last night), Dalia did throw a small look of longing in the direction of the Jewish kid she was hung up on last season. (I know I'm not imagining it!) I'm so mad that entire plot got dropped.

Edited by LTG, Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:42 PM.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

Here sisters are Georgia, and what were the other two?

Savannah and Sunset.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 2:31 PM

Loved meeting Dallas' family. Here sisters are Georgia, and what were the other two?

Savannah and something that was a hyphenate but not a geographic name.

I enjoyed this episode so much because of meeting Dallas's family. I'm more-or-less meh about this show anymore, but keep watching because of the hotness that is Jeremy Sisto. This ep was a welcome refreshing oasis of humor in a desert of boredom.

I'm in the southeast U.S., and yeah, there are some women around here that look like that. Maybe a little toned down from what we saw on the show, but yeah...extensions, tans, sparkly dresses and heels. It's a sight.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 8:28 AM

Sunset Laemmle (aka the Sunset 5), which was a West Hollywood arthouse movie theatre [on Sunset Blvd.] that lost their lease a few years ago.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Sunset Laemmle (aka the Sunset 5), which was a West Hollywood arthouse movie theatre [on Sunset Blvd.] that lost their lease a few years ago.

That reminds me of the animated Disney show from a few years ago called The Proud Family. There was a Latino family on the show--the daughter was named La Cienega and the wife was Sunset, and their last name was Boulevardes. Funny or borderline racist? So hard to tell these days. I don't know if it offended any Latino viewers. I personally don't get upset when black TV characters have names like Shanequa or D'Mon-Jate'. I'm more bothered by characters who behave stereotypically. 

--But that's another thread.

Anyway, I haven't seen this ep yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I love seeing Dallas interact with multiple people. Cheryl Hines is hilarious in scenes where she's dialoguing and riffing with other actors. I think that stems from her improv and sketch comedy background. Remember the great episode when her sorority sisters came to visit for the weekend? That remains one of my favorite episodes ever.

And during Malik's song and dance (from the previous episode, which I just watched last night), Dalia did throw a small look of longing in the direction of the Jewish kid she was hung up on last season. (I know I'm not imagining it!) I'm so mad that entire plot got dropped.

I caught that, too!

Edited by topanga, Apr 4, 2014 @ 12:26 PM.

40Love

40Love

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 6:47 PM

I liked this one. Dallas's family was a hoot. And I thought the triple date was funny when clicking jaw woman let Noah know she could hear him. Lol!

I for one liked Dallas and George as a couple. I hope they get back together.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 9:04 PM

I love the Dallas/Tessa relationship, so combining a Dallas/Tessa plot with a subplot featuring the old Noah? That was enough of a combination to make this episode one of my favorites of the season.

BabyElla

BabyElla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 7:55 PM

Who knew Dallas could throw down in the bedroom? Unless George was just being nice.

"She was a dud in the sack, huh?"

"Well, not everyone can be Dallas Royce."

I love the Dallas/Tessa relationship

Yes, this was my favorite part of the episode. I especially liked the jokes about Tessa's hair not being big enough and Dallas opening up about her feelings toward her mother.

But I did love that in the run up to that date, we learned that George has a secret fantasy about doing something to Noah.  In a sexual way.  I'm dying to know what he was thinking at that moment.

Yes, that was a quick but quite funny moment in the episode.

Edited by BabyElla, Apr 6, 2014 @ 7:57 PM.