Suburgatory

• Please log in to reply

1583 replies to this topic

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:18 AM

As lame as the cult storyline was, I enjoyed seeing Mae Whitman as a singing nomad after all the angsting and crying she's been doing this season on Parenthood. I had a hard time believing that Chatswin would let these hippie weirdos park their Partridge Family school bus anywhere in town, erect a tent at one of their parks, and run around playing their instruments. Considering what tightasses everyone in that town is about EVERYTHING, I thought the residents would have chased the hippies out of town with pitchforks before they had time to unload their tie dyed tent from the bus.

Tessa seemed to lose her brain this week. Aside from being dumb enough to join the cult without realizing it was a cult, she seriously thought someone taught her how to play the rain stick? I did laugh at Jane Levy's utter commitment to playing that rain stick for her dad. Once she realized that she was in a cult and wanted to leave, why didn't she just play it cool for the rest of the afternoon and then just, you know, not ditch class the next day? Since she was only hanging out with them when she was supposed to be in Senior Tanning, it wouldn't be that hard to just not show up to the park during school hours.

I laughed at Dallas's cult questions, but it was stupid for them to stand there inside the cult tent and talk about the cult being a cult. That's not suspicious at all! I know I shouldn't try to apply logic to this show, but usually it's wackiness, not stupidity, that makes me willing to overlook the lack of logic.

I haven't missed Noah and I don't like his new weird skittish Melvin persona. I would be fine if he went back to his anger management treatment for a few months. As juvenile as it is, I laughed my ass off when the waiter licked his glass.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:23 AM.

purejosie

purejosie

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:12 PM

Tessa seemed to lose her brain this week. Aside from being dumb enough to join the cult without realizing it was a cult, she seriously thought someone taught her how to play the rain stick?

I think Tessa's break-up with Ryan has affected her more than she (or anyone else) anticipated since he's now Enlisted elsewhere. She was miserable when she moved to Chatswin, found some amount of happiness with Lisa and Dallas, found true happiness with Ryan, thought she could find happiness with her flighty mother, but now she's lost Ryan, Dallas, and her mother, and she isn't being very nice to Lisa. Tessa doesn't have a happy place right now and seems to be searching for one.

I know I shouldn't try to apply logic to this show, but usually it's wackiness, not stupidity, that makes me willing to overlook the lack of logic.

Pole-dancing PTA moms? A teenager wearing an IUD to improve her cell phone reception? I settle for the cheap laughs on this show.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 8:37 PM

When Mr. EB saw the cult member wearing deer antlers, he said, "It's the Yellow King from True Detective! Someone call Rust and Woody and tell them to get to Chatswin!"

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 4:50 PM

He messed up that guy's teeth.

Oh! That's right. Thanks. Next question: why did he do that again? Boy, my memory is failing me these days.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 6:12 PM

The guy was dating Carmen, I think? 

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 12:08 AM

I recognized Katie in the wheelchair was played by Sam Futerman. She was born in Korea and adopted by a New Jersey family when she was a baby. There was a great story on GMA last month of her finding her long lost twin sister, who grew up in France. Her twin found about her from a YouTube video she made and contacted her through Facebook.

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Mar 6, 2014 @ 12:09 AM.

augmentedfourth

augmentedfourth

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2014 @ 4:03 PM

I wasn't crazy about George's storyline, but I enjoyed Tessa's. And Sperm Can't Underwater Be Activated had me laughing for the rest of the evening.

I felt like chunks of the Dallas vs. the juice bar plot were missing. Also, where's Dalia?

vladica07

vladica07

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 5:49 AM

I don't understand why so much hate for this episode. I wasn't keen on Dallas vs. Juice bar thing. I was surprised when they showed the place where she works, they haven't in a while, I almost forgot she has her business.

I get why Tessa turned out to be a hater, but she wasn't friends with that birthday boy, so why should she go? I didn't find it rude.

All in all, I'm happy that the show is back as in on regular TV program.

I was surprised when I saw Noah so much, that at first I thought it was a different actor, since the media wrote about his departure before. Boy, did their turn the tables on him and his story!

The only thing I was missing was Dahlia.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 8:32 AM

I get why Tessa turned out to be a hater, but she wasn't friends with that birthday boy, so why should she go? I didn't find it rude.

I thought she was rude, but you're right that she shouldn't have felt obligated to go to someone's party when she didn't like the person. Plus, he really is a jerk. 

I'm so tired of this show. I watch it because there's nothing else on at that time, and it follows The Middle, which I like. If Suburgatory were on Thursday, I'd be happier because I would love cutting it out of my packed DVR schedule.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 10:17 AM

Wasn't the birthday boy the guy that Dalia became fixated on last season?  Whatever happened to that?  Or did they just drop it?

I recognized Katie in the wheelchair was played by Sam Futerman. She was born in Korea and adopted by a New Jersey family when she was a baby. There was a great story on GMA last month of her finding her long lost twin sister, who grew up in France. Her twin found about her from a YouTube video she made and contacted her through Facebook.

She also has a recurring bit on Kroll Show, playing a character named Tunes in an ongoing sketch called "Wheels Ontario," which is a great send-up of Degrassi.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

I'm still missing Dalia... nowhere to be found in the picture...

But I guess they are managing the show's budget... 

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 9:22 AM

There was plenty of Dalia in last night's ep. She had some great lines.

Something that suddenly struck me: Lisa sounds a lot like her mother, Sheila. I'm going to guess that's deliberate. I remember at the beginning of the series I really liked Lisa, but then she got very weird, particularly in her line deliveries. Maybe the actress (or director) decided it would be good if the daughter spoke like the mother, esp since the two of them are always at odds.

And now that I see her as speaking like Sheila, I like her more.

I loved this:

George: I'm worried about Lisa.

Fred: Join the club.

Sheila: Meet the captain of it. Toot! Toot!

The whole thing with the It's Just Yogurt lady was great. "I have singlehandedly found love for more people than eHarmony, OKwhatever, Tinder, Grouper, It's Just Cappucino combined." Dalia's requests for a boyfriend were funny, too.

I have to say I was very disturbed by Dallas' Barbie foot.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 9:36 AM

I loved the specificity of Dalia's potential boyfriend. 

augmentedfourth

augmentedfourth

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Oh, Dalia, how I've missed you. That entire scene with the matchmaker was pure gold. As was "Carmen! Mommy fell!" (And hell, that "yourself" conversation at the end was kind of touching, in a totally Dalia-esque way.)

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 12:03 PM

It feels all topsy turvy to me. I have to admit, I liked George and Dallas together, and the storyline with Tessa and her mother was very bittersweet. Come to think of it, Ryan and Tessa together were good for me too.

So I'm still watching a show where all of my favorite elements are gone. Hmmmm. I'm going to think this one over.

However, Jane Levy's incredible skin is almost a reason to tune in every week

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 12:49 PM

Something that suddenly struck me: Lisa sounds a lot like her mother, Sheila. I'm going to guess that's deliberate.

I noticed this too, and it's the first time I've ever noticed it. Maybe the more she becomes like her mother the more she goes off the deep end. 

Gotta hand it to Cheryl Hines, it was damn brave of her to look so ragged. She looked a good ten years older, easy. I can't think of that many actresses willing to dress down like that.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

Cheryl Hines didn't look ragged! Except for the awful glasses- I thought she looked 100x better than she does as Dallas.  Her face was still incredibly smooth with makeup (just not "Dallas" make up), and her outfit was pretty normal. I didn't think she looked old- I just thought she no longer looked ridiculous.  To me, Dallas does not look like a real person (Dalia either).

Dalia ruins this show for me. I cannot think of a more annoying character on TV.

I wish they would put this show on after Modern Family or before The Middle. I really don't know why I watch it anymore.

Edited by Skittl1321, Mar 13, 2014 @ 1:20 PM.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 1:34 PM

I too thought that dressed-down, normal-looking Dallas was actually quite attractive as compared with the usual super-made-up, over-the-top Dallas. And Dalia's little speech of encouragement to her towards the end was actually rather sweet, suggesting that at some level Dalia may in fact be human rather than a robot.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 1:40 PM

I have to say I was very disturbed by Dallas' Barbie foot.

When I was in high school, one of my teachers had developed quite a bit of a feminist streak over her teaching career. By the time we had her, she had taken to using Ms., she invited us to call her by her first name, telling girls not to go to college to get their MRS degree, and wearing orthopedic flats after years of wearing  the more feminine looking heels. One day when she was in a particularly feisty mood, she went on a rant about social norms for women and took her shoes off. OH. MY. GOD! The years of heels had totally deformed her feet. The whole class was slightly disturbed, even the boys. It's been almost 20 years since I graduated, but seriously, I still can see her deformed feet. Smashed, crossed toes, and weirdly high arches. Barbie foot. Not as extreme as the x-ray, but disturbing nonetheless. 

I used to like the character of Lisa, but she's getting too weird for me. Like future stalker, has him chained up in the basement weird. Malik better run far, far away if he decides to say no to her proposal. The actress does a good crazy though!

Dahlia is better in small doses, but I liked her whole storyline last night. Her boyfriend wish list was hilarious, and very her. I was touched she showed some actual feelings for Dallas, other than the normal boredom and disdain. 

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 3:36 PM

This was easily my favorite ep of the season.  There were no wasted, idiotic storylines.

I expect Lisa to be more intelligent than to consider marriage to a boy while she's in high school.  But look at the scene with her parents and George... if her parents think she isn't remotely good enough for Malik, then why would Lisa think she is?  Wouldn't it make sense that she would be worried about not keeping/finding someone as good Malik with those parents?  I know it's played for laughs (and I usually laugh about it), but Fred and Sheila's attitude towards their daughter bothered me a lot in yesterday's ep.  I think it's contributing to Lisa making an asinine decision.

I loved the song playing at the house party... it was the song playing in the movie "House Party" when Kid n Play were doing the same dance Malik was doing with the girl.

Dalia was great in this ep, especially due to her being more positive than she usually is.

I thought Cheryl Hines was frightening looking in dressed down mode due mostly to the hair.  The biggest issue I have with her OTT outfits is actually the teeth, but apparently, those are her real teeth.  Oops.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 6:58 PM

Catching up a bit... good episode last night.  I liked the Dallas plot and with the Tessa plot, I pretty much always enjoy watching doppelgangers.

The one before last, not so good, and for me it comes down to being way too elastic with what Chatswin is.  It can be an every suburb or it can be a weird, specific, super-rich suburb.  I don't think it can be plausibly be both.  I don't think George goes back to Manhattan for a day and gets sticker shock at the prices there, not when he's been living in freaking Chatswin for the last few years.  The public school he sent his kid to has a carving station in the cafeteria.  The Shays and the Altmans might not be as ostentatiously rich as the Royces and the Werners, but all four families could afford the ridiculously fancy country club, and George had no sticker shock at the fancy juice bar.

(but points for "A Pressed Nation"...)

Fred and Sheila's attitude towards their daughter bothered me a lot in yesterday's ep.  I think it's contributing to Lisa making an asinine decision.

Agreed, and I think the show plays it almost entirely for laughs, or at least that's how it comes off for me.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

Yeah Dallas doesn't look that bad dressed down, but those feet! ouch... 

Dalia is following the same path, she's still young though but I think she'll never give up her heels either..

I guess Dallas is gonna realized the mistake she made of letting George go... we'll see..

Have they forgotten George's new flick? that dog walker girl? where is  she?

GottaStoryToTel

GottaStoryToTel

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 6:58 AM

This is one of my favorite shows although, I could do with less Dallas on each episode.I do adore Dahlia and wish she had more screen time. I had stopped watching the show entirely when Dallas & George got together. They were such a mismatched couple IMO that it was torture to watch them. I was gleeful when they finally broke up. Just saw the last epi On Demand and found it very amusing with several laugh-out-loud moments. The plain Dallas was atrocious to say the least. I wouldn't take my garbage pail to the curb looking that horrific. I am firm believer if the barn needs painting then paint the damn thing! And Tessa's blonde friend (her name escapes me now) is so thin now (she definitely needs a few extra pounds) she looks like a 50 year old woman playing a teenager! And, whats with all the teeth in this episode...can't anyone talk anymore without showing all their mouth enamel?

Edited by GottaStoryToTel, Mar 17, 2014 @ 7:00 AM.

BabyElla

BabyElla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 4:09 PM

This was easily my favorite ep of the season.  There were no wasted, idiotic storylines.

--I agree. I really liked the Dallas and Dahlia story line. A lot of funny moments and some tender ones, too. (Dahlia's "yourself speech). But why did Dallas have to tease her hair in order to be dressed down? And I agree that she still looked great without the Dallas makeup.

--Lisa was funny. Her speech to the party girl was almost word-for-word what Jada Pinkett Smith said about her husband Will. Lisa even had Jada's "I'm a tough, no nonsense black woman" voice down pat.

--I kept waiting for Tessa's boyfriend/twin to start pursuing Dahlia. The way he criticized her in the yogurt shop with so much detail, methinks he doth protest too much.

I loved the song playing at the house party... it was the song playing in the movie "House Party" when Kid n Play were doing the same dance Malik was doing with the girl.

Great catch, shockey80te.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 3:35 AM

One thing I really disliked about this episode was the whole "we're too alike so our relationship is boring/opposites attract is so much better." It's so cliche. The one reason I am giving it a pass is that Tessa is a teenager so of course she is convinced that her lust for Ryan is something more, and she's idealizing it even more now that he's gone.

I totally loved Dahlia's very specific request for her yogurt date. She might be picky but at least she knows what she wants which shows that at the very least, she has put some thought into it.

When I was in high school, one of my teachers had developed quite a bit of a feminist streak over her teaching career. By the time we had her, she had taken to using Ms., she invited us to call her by her first name, telling girls not to go to college to get their MRS degree, and wearing orthopedic flats after years of wearing  the more feminine looking heels. One day when she was in a particularly feisty mood, she went on a rant about social norms for women and took her shoes off. OH. MY. GOD! The years of heels had totally deformed her feet. The whole class was slightly disturbed, even the boys. It's been almost 20 years since I graduated, but seriously, I still can see her deformed feet. Smashed, crossed toes, and weirdly high arches. Barbie foot. Not as extreme as the x-ray, but disturbing nonetheless.

I took a course on women in Chinese history when I was in college and when we talked about foot binding, everyone was horrified that parents would cripple their children like that for a chance at marriage. Then someone pointed out that moden women essentially do the same thing to themselves voluntarily. High heels are so terrible for your feet, your joints, your back, etc. They shorten the Achilles heel, put too much pressure on the ball of the foot, throw your alignment and balance out of whack but they are considered what a feminine woman should wear on her feet. Related rant: women carrying heavy handbags, especially on their forearms. Although Dallas's Barbie foot was played for laughs, I was hoping that she would at least start wearing flats. It's one thing to want to make yourself look pretty to attract a man. It's another to cripple yourself while doing it. And I say that as someone who used to wear 3" heels to work every day and then walk across campus up hills.

Lisa's motivation for wanting to lock Malik down before his price goes up made me sad. I've heard people use the same logic when deciding to get engaged in real life. I want to shake these people and tell them that getting married because you're afraid to lose someone is a horrible idea. You shouldn't get married out of paranoia or fear. If this person loves you, they are going to love you and be faithful to you whether you are married or not.

Heh, obviously I am taking this show too seriously.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 18, 2014 @ 3:43 AM.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 8:35 PM

Oh, Malik. I'll marry you. That song was so sweet. And I loved that so many kids were involved. Even Dahlia contributed in her own special way.

And once again, Dahlia provided some comedic gems: "You're 25, aren't you? You look like you've been left back a lot."  I did miss Dallas.

It seems like the writers don't know to do with George, which is weird since he's one of the show's leads. But his plotlines haven't interested me all season.

augmentedfourth

augmentedfourth

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 9:15 PM

I really enjoyed that episode, so many cute moments to warm my cold black heart. Dalia continues to be awesome in everything.

This episode made me miss Ryan, and I'm torn. It's obviously way more realistic to have Tessa and Ryan not be together due to distance and different life stages. However, those flashbacks...it reminded me how much I loved the "you don't know how I leave" scene in the bathroom from last year.

George's plot was admittedly kind of meh. I did laugh at the dog with the pink mustache, though.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 11:04 PM

I wasn't really enjoying this ep until Malik's song. That was so sweet and perfect. And I cracked up when Dalia walked by with her "2" tucked under her arm.

BabyElla

BabyElla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:05 AM

I wasn't really enjoying this ep until Malik's song. That was so sweet and perfect. And I cracked up when Dalia walked by with her "2" tucked under her arm.

Yes, the song was the best part of the episode. I did like the entire ep, except for Lisa's karaoke.

Tessa's sadness over Ryan makes me sad. Why was it so easy for him to move on? Damn you, Ryan!

NightCruller

NightCruller

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 5:25 AM

Why was it so easy for him to move on? Damn you, Ryan!

After the episode ended, I noticed something: he didn't move on easily. I'd forgotten about her clothes until the very end, then the entire episode fell into place. Chain of events: Tessa sent her clothes to Ryan, Ryan's roommate wouldn't leave them alone, and Ryan fumbled. With that sequence of events, Tessa's clothes probably made him not want to "be" with June so he asked his roommate not to leave them alone, and Tessa literally threw him off his game when he fumbled.