Suburgatory

• Please log in to reply

1583 replies to this topic

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

But I do agree that Dallas is awesome, and a good influence on Tessa. She's more of a consumer than my tastes, but she's also deeper than that, and she gives Tessa the opportunity to grow

I agree. I think on the surface Dallas is someone I would never be friends with but would love if I got to know her (and I have had a few friends like that). Yes, she is a consumer and she puts too much ephasis on material things and looks. But she adores Tess and genuinely wants what is best for her. And Tessa adores her right back. I loved her look of concern when she thought work was impacting Tess's school work. And when someone is already as intellectual and in her own head as Tessa is it can be a good thing to have someone to even that out. Being a little superficial isn't bad.

In the end, what more do you want for your child to be surronded by people who genuinely love and care about her?

Edited by Cherith, May 7, 2012 @ 3:49 PM.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Up until the first commercial break, I thought we were getting one of the better episodes. Then the final 23 minutes happened.

We got more Eden, Noah, obnoxious!George, and Tessa revealing an interest in journalism that was referenced in one episode in the fall. I'm genuinely confused as to why they thought this surrogacy thing would be funny because it's not like it's just an execution problem. I don't get conceptually what they were going for.

The kangaroo and summer camp plots weren't as funny as I hoped (although I did love Chery Hines line reading of whether Eden beats Tessa). But even still I'd prefer an in depth discussion of sports camp to this terrible surrogacy storyline.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

The Eden at breakfast thing with those highly annoying voices almost made me flip the channel - ugh. Granted, Tessa and George found them annoying too so they were supposed to be irksome, but damn.

I did not follow along with lots of the story - seemed to be to much ground they were trying to cover in too short a period of time.

Dallas and Dahlia were pretty funny talking about putting the maid in a medieval coat of armor and seeing a kangaroo randomly jump through the house. I liked the concept of putting it in the guest house.

Dallas and George did not share much time, but I really enjoy their relationship. Not a shipper usually, but I like how the two of them seem to have chemistry and nothing is being forced down my throat.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

So if George and Tessa were both assuming that an internship at the Village Voice would involve her living in the city, rather than commuting, where did they think she would live? Was that explained?

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

Why would Eden have any say at all in tessa's life? Why would she think that? Why would George be talking about someone else helping him parent? They have been going out for like what a month or two?

George is a shitty dad. He always just freaks out, and thinks its totally ok to force a random woman on his daughter. I don't like him or Eden really.

Also if someone told me I couldn't use the Internet in my own house? I would be really pissed, haha.

I'll admit, though, I found Tessa funnier this ep. Everyone else pretty much sucked, though.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Why would Eden have any say at all in tessa's life? Why would she think that?

Because George said she had a vote. But afterwards she did say that she overstepped her bounds, so I wasn't really bothered by that.

Still, it wasn't a very enjoyable ep. I get the feeling the surrogacy thing is one big setup. There's not much comedy in the story line itself, so it must be leading to a big payoff. Noah and Jill will have a baby. Tessa will be commuting to NYC (because of Eden's influence). Sheila's backstory will be revealed, along with Lisa's and possibly Ryan's.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

OMG, Lisa was again the highlight with that lacrosse stick. "I AM A WARRIOR, AIEEEEEEEEEE...." *glass breaks* I just about died with that. And Malik in that knitted ensemble was great. "Lookin fly, Malik." And what was their 'couple name'? Malisa? Heh.

Eden may have pushed too far, but I did like her when she was negotiating between George and Tessa. Sometimes you need an outsider to find the best solution. But....I am ready for this relationship to wind down. I enjoyed their chemistry last week but it's been diminishing returns.

Edited by megsara, May 10, 2012 @ 8:30 AM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

A few eps back, I know they had Tessa go out with Ryan again (I think after he caught her eating butter straight in her jammies). Did they wrap that up and I forgot or did they just leave that storyline hanging?

BrittaisMe

BrittaisMe

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

I missed it! So who was really adopted?

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Lisa is still waiting for the DNA test results. Which reminds me, I loved when she air-quoted "mother" and then Sheila air-quoted "Lisa".

Freckles101

Freckles101

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Wow, Eden is really obnoxious. This wasn't the greatest episode but I liked most of the stuff that didn't involve her or Tessa. Lisa is so hilarious and the one George/Dallas scene was really great. They are so sweet and have great chemistry and I loved Dallas watching The X-Files at the end!

Edited by Freckles101, May 10, 2012 @ 12:04 PM.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I was indifferent to the Eden plot...until that breakfast scene. Yikes.

My brother thinks Dallas was always a closet X-Files fan and just didn't want George to know, but I guess there's not much more they can do with the joke either way.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Other than Lisa and the lacrosse ball, Malik and the macrame pimp outfit, and the closing tag with Dallas and the X-Files, this episode was a major let-down.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

A few eps back, I know they had Tessa go out with Ryan again (I think after he caught her eating butter straight in her jammies). Did they wrap that up and I forgot or did they just leave that storyline hanging?

I think it was just a one-time thing.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I think Lisa and Malik are so cute together.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

It's too bad that they're insisting on going to the same camp. Even with Lisa, Malik will probably have a terrible time.

lanter

lanter

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

It's too bad that they're insisting on going to the same camp. Even with Lisa, Malik will probably have a terrible time.

Malik did say that he was good at everything, and the guy is pretty laid back so I think he will end up enjoying himself. Lisa, on the other hand, loves Macrame Camp and would have probably hated Sports Camp...or gotten thrown out for laying waste to girls during field hockey.

This episode was weaker than the past few. I am ready for the baby storyline to end. I would rather see more of Dallas and Dahlia's relationship than the borefest that is George and Eden.

What is with all of the X-Files references on TV lately? Not that I am complaining, it was a fave of mine, but two different shows in one night making mention of it is surprising.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

I really don't understand why Eden felt that George giving her a vote gave her the right to make unilateral decisions without consulting George. Even if Eden was Tessa's mother that's still the sort of thing she should have discussed with George beforehand, especially since it's not like Tessa tricked her into thinking George would be fine with it.

And who is older, Ryan or Lisa? I'm thinking that Ryan is but in that case why would Lisa believe she was adopted (besides wishful thinking). Her parents' video seemed to be the video of a childless couple and not one with one child already but who, for some reason, can't have another one.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, May 11, 2012 @ 8:23 AM.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Not enough Dallas and George. But there's rarely enough Dallas and George. Exceptions: The Halloween episode when George came over to watch horror movies w/ Dallas. Or the episode when Dallas and Dalia moved in with the Altmans. Even the episode when they argued about Dallas's Man in White and debated whether or not Dallas had feelings for George. There's great chemistry between the two actors, and their scenes pop.

Still an enjoyable episode. Tessa's line delivery was hilarious, as was Dalia's. And I loved the Sheila Shay/Noah scene -- "Who's his daddy?" "I'm his daddy. Who's your daddy?" "You've never met. He lives in Oregon."

--but I'm confused. Noah kept saying that he's going to be a great dad and that he's looking forward to fatherhood. But he and Jill already have a daughter. Or has she disappeared from the family?

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

I think it was just a one-time thing.

I don't think it's over. I think it's just on hold for the Eden plot. (Along with the rest of the show.)

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:30 AM

I'm hating Noah more and more with each episode, and George keeps looking like a worse parent too. I keep hoping Sheila's currently unfounded hatred of Eden will pay off when they reveal whatever it is they're revealing about the Shay family secret, but so far it just makes her look even more unhinged than usual.

The Lisa and Malik plot was nice; too bad there was a pile of nonsense in the A-plot.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

--but I'm confused. Noah kept saying that he's going to be a great dad and that he's looking forward to fatherhood. But he and Jill already have a daughter. Or has she disappeared from the family?

I think that was the joke. Noah has little interest in his own daughter but he's so psyched to be a parent again.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

I think that was the joke. Noah has little interest in his own daughter but he's so psyched to be a parent again.

Noah's daughter is a teenager. I guess he wants another baby as a do-over.

Edited by Bella, May 16, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

While I would be happy to see a divorced (or widowed) single parent that isn't expected to go into lifelong chastity out of duty to the child, there is a big difference between dating someone and moving them into your home before your kid has even gotten a chance to get to know them, nevermind giving the stranger a say in parental decisions. George is making me hope that Dallas pays well enough for Tessa to become emancipated and move out on her own.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I think I might have been overly invested in the discussion of donut holes at the end of the ep. I totally agree with Noah. And I loved Dallas at the end too. "Why won't he just kiss her?" indeed.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

After really gaining some momentum and IMO having one of the best episodes of a freshman TV show in Down Time, this show collapsed down the stretch worse than Dallas did tonight. I can understand Eden as a stumbling block to George/Dallas, but I'm at a loss as to the surrogacy plotline. What were they thinking? Thankfully, the Shays were good.

On the plus side, they have the summer to reset. There's enough talent in both the writing and acting to make it work, but the focus needs to be on Tessa/Chatswin.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Ryan repeatedly kissing his mother as she crossed the finishing line was hilariously creepy. As was the Prince Charming stuff. Love the Shays. No surprise that Ryan is the adopted one.

Malik is so freaking cute.

Everything else was pretty mediocre to bad. I felt really bad for Tessa when Dallas wanted Dahlia though. I mean I totally get it. She is her daughter and she was on pain killers. But after all of their bonding it was quite sad.

I did like the conversation with Yakult. I think Cheryl Hines is great.

Edited by Cherith, May 16, 2012 @ 8:21 PM.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I was seriously bawling my eyes out the last 2 minutes. Of course, Dallas asking for her daughter is what finally triggered Tessa's longing for her mother. Funnily enough, I could care less who the mother is in How I Met Your mother, but I really wanna meet Tessa's mother! I really want to know the story behind it; is she mentally incapacitated? Imprisoned? It's so mysterious.

Somehow the season feels unfinished. It's like we need another episode. We have to wait four months to find out what happens to Eden/George/the baby? Is Alicia even signed on for next season?

I have a headache now.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I like this show, but tonight's season finale felt rushed and out of sync and just not very funny, like the writers were in a rush to wrap up one plot (Lisa isn't adopted) and start another one (Tessa wondering about her mother) while carrying over the George/Eden thing and reminding us how weird the Shays are. Oh well, there's always next year.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Was Whoopi Goldberg the voice of Yakult?

I'm getting a little tired of Sheila Shay, Wire Mother Weirdo Empress of Chatswin. Did I really hear

"... I'm not going to swallow."
"Whatever you're comfortable with, it's not about me!"

Lisa looked almost as freaked out as I felt. (Allie Grant's the best thing about the Shay family.) I can't believe that made it past Standards & Practices.

Edited by Sandman, May 16, 2012 @ 11:06 PM.