23-1: "I Need Redemption" 2011.09.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

256 replies to this topic

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

I would have voted Cochran out over Semhar, even though I like him quite a bit and her not so much. But I don't understand the selling points for Cochran. He's weak, which isn't going to change over the course of the next couple of weeks. He's neurotic and lacks confidence. He doesn't actually know how to work things like machetes and climbing walls. He's heavier Semhar, which is an obstacle when he has to be dragged somewhere. He's smart, a law student, and a student of the game - all factors that can definitely be a liability when you're looking at who is going to stick with you for the long haul (and who's potentially going to be a persuasive force against you).

This I agree with. Semhar certainly let her tribe down today. But that doesn't mean she couldn't be valuable in the future.

I can't see Cochrane bringing much to the table in the future. Also, from what everyone has seen, Cochrane is extremely insecure and jittery. That doesn't seem like someone you want to be in a position of counting on to hold steady when things get hairy down the line.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Only that racist dude a few seasons ago made me as sick as Mini-Hantz did with his B.S. about not approving of Mikayla because she's always "flaunting herself" and how he's not going to "get close to a situation that could get him in trouble." Dude is 19 and married, and seems to have wrapped himself with structures of the societal and religious variety because he's terrified of his own impulses. The creepy vibe so many are getting from him is spot on, I think.

Ugh. It had a very date-rapey "she was asking for it" feel. And, seriously, does he really think he even has a shot at that "situation"?

KaCO

KaCO

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

I wonder about Cochran's comment about the girls. He was talking about how embarrassing it would be to be voted off first, and I wonder if he was refering to the fact that girls tend to be the first voted off. So not only is he being voted off first, but he's considered so useless that he goes before the typical first-vote fodder.

Being such a huge fan, he knows who typically goes first.

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music, yoga, cuisine

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

He's smart, a law student, and a student of the game - all factors that can definitely be a liability when you're looking at who is going to stick with you for the long haul (and who's potentially going to be a persuasive force against you).

True, all reasons to vote him out. But also all reasons for fans of the game to root for him to stay around, as I'm certain that he will be entertaining.

As will, I predict, a blow up between temptress Mikayla and religious zealot Nephew of Hantz.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

It is my opinion that Probst is really crossing the line with his comments. There was no reason for him to physically show that the red team lost "by one coconut" and verbally putting a big target on Semhar. I know that he has become more involved in recent seasons and it is my opinion that it is no coincidence that the four returning players over the past two seasons have been Jeff faves but at what point does it cross the line.

Is it just me or is this season an older group of players? As for lil Hantz.....creepy! and did anyone else note that he had his own little separate moment in the opening credits?

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

But I wasn't sure where the nephew was coming from.

He referred to her as Delilah. No doubt this says a lot about his view of women, but it was neverthess an oddly specific reference to throw around on the very first day.

tadasana

tadasana

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

Re: Cochrane, don't you think a smart guy and a long-time fan with a weak physique would prepare for Survivor by practicing things like cutting a coconut with a machete and fishing with a Hawaiian sling? This many years into the show, it's not difficult for someone to purchase those things and practice at home. Heck, I'd do it. That's what doesn't ring true about Cochrane: he seems to have gone out of his way to *not* prepare in obvious ways for this experience. Perhaps he's just arrogant or lazy but if you really want to be in the game there are obvious ways to prepare for it and the fact that he is perceived as "needing direction" means he isn't taking initiative around camp in ways he could have predicted and proven himself from the start. I want to root for him but I can't do it yet.

Re: Mark Anthony aka Papa Bear, his whole "call me Papa Bear" thing--especially when they were in the water and he kept describing himself as a bear and insisting that would be a good nickname--reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where George decides he wants a cool nickname and insists people should call him "T-Bone." Other than that I like the guy.

loriac

loriac

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

I agree that Lil' Hanz came across as creepy. But did anyone else feel that scene seemed very cut together? I got the feeling that his comment, her working on the shelter and then his leering from behind the branches were 3 different time periods.

Edited by loriac, Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:27 PM.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

As soon as I saw the producers gave airtime to Semhar's spoken word performance, I knew she was going. They rarely let any contestant showcase their talent and by doing so this time, they threw felt sorry for her and threw her a bone.

I like Cochrane, but that may change. I can see him being the go-to puzzle guy.

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music, yoga, cuisine

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

Really creepy that Hantz referred to Mikayla as Delilah. Here is a description of Samson and Delilah from wiki:

"Samson loved Delilah, she betrayed him, and, what is worse, she did it for money."

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

So....how many folks do you know that have their last name tattooed on them not once but twice.

Well, maybe he's a little slow and keeps forgetting?

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

So....how many folks do you know that have their last name tattooed on them not once but twice.

Well, maybe he's a little slow and keeps forgetting?

Maybe it's just that he got the one on his back first, and didn't realize till after the fact that he wouldn't be able to read it from there.

In all seriousness, though, he apparently spent some time mixed up with gangs and is now attempting to walk the very straight and narrow. He's young - it's still all about extremes to him.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

Wow, I'm actually not liking Cochran at all. Between his desperation to get Probst's attention, his "girl" comment, his being all over the place during Tribal Council, and his needy little "thank you" to Dawn after he was spared the boot, I'm hoping he goes soon. But he'll probably fester and stick around like Phillip last season. Gah.

I kinda liked Semhar and wish she'd stuck around. I really don't see why blowing one challenge should've made the difference. Chris blew the first challenge, yet survived the first boot and even went on to win Vanuatu, and Rocky (sometimes undeservedly) survived many boots despite blowing several challenges in Fiji and at least made the jury. And let's not forget Dan, who stuck around way past his expiration date in Nicaragua. OTOH, I think she sunk herself more with her confrontation with Jim. I guess I'll be the lone voice hoping she gets back in the game. Or at least sticks around Redemption Island for a while.

So far, I'm liking Whitney, Elyse, Mark, and Dawn on Savaii, and I'm liking Rick, Edna, Christine, Stacey, Mikayla, Sophie, and Albert on Upolo. Of the two returnees, I still like Coach and am glad that, so far, the Dragonslayer version of him hasn't emerged. Don't like Ozzy, but I was glad to see him stick up for Semhar, both before and during Tribal Council (even if she was already getting the boot by then). So in that respect, I at least don't hate him anymore like I did in Cook Islands and Micronesia.

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:57 PM.

Jaen the Glad

Jaen the Glad

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

The episode was fun for me because there were quite a few identifiable players and personalities, so easier to get involved. Cochran made me wince at his gaffes! A student of the game should realize how deadly it is to separate yourself from the herd at the beginning. Unfathomable that he wasn't anticipating appearing in his underwear. And he really blew his defense at TC. Ah well. His language makes me smile but his lack of confidence is a severe handicap.

I was pretty impressed with Coach turning around what looked like certain doom and didn't mind rooting for him.

Mark tried awful hard to install himself as lovable...mascot? "Don't you think I look like a bear? Call me Papa Bear!" I did think he was kinda cute but I noticed his manipulative skills. He did Cochran no favors in TC, bringing up and analyzing in great detail the way he "panicked" at the challenge. Earlier in the ep, I forget who he was talking to, maybe Cochran or Dawn, it seemed to me that he was subtly undermining the other person, giving bad advice under the guise of caring support.

Jim had some spot-on observations and I hope he lasts a while.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Semhar's downfall was not her suckage at the challenge itself, but her rant at camp afterwards. Not only did she permanently implant in everyone's heads the idea that she individually lost the challenge (which was not at all true), but then she goes and starts making enemies to boot.

Dumb, dumb gameplay.

TotalMagnum357

TotalMagnum357

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

Semhar's downfall was not her suckage at the challenge itself, but her rant at camp afterwards. Not only did she permanently implant in everyone's heads the idea that she individually lost the challenge (which was not at all true), but then she goes and starts making enemies to boot.

Dumb, dumb gameplay.

This! Semhar may have talked herself right out of the game and I really can't picture her winning any duels at RI.

Lil' Hantz may not be exactly like his trollish uncle, but he's really creeping me out.

This season is starting out well.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Lil' Hantz may not be exactly like his trollish uncle

They're pretty similar, frankly. The creepy thing for me was the gait. They walk the same.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

Maybe it's just that he got the one on his back first, and didn't realize till after the fact that he wouldn't be able to read it from there.

As opposed to the one on his arm which he could only read if it's upside down or in a mirror but then it would have to be backwards or maybe he could stand on his head in front of the mirror or go behind the mirror..... One thing's for sure, this guy isn't going to Harvard! At some point don't you think that Coach is going to want to see Brandon's tats?

I was amazed to see that Coach suddenly has both a social game and a strategy ("a tight five will make it through to the merge and beyond"). When did he finally become self-aware?

And he really blew his defense at TC. Ah well. His language makes me smile but his lack of confidence is a severe handicap.

I thought he was goner for sure when he said 'May I interject something here?'

Edited by Quilt Fairy, Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:13 PM.

wigglepuppy

wigglepuppy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

Little Hantz's comments about Mikayla were so skeevy! I mean she was in shorts and a tank-top in the jungle! I wonder what he would think of the girls in the other tribe who got down to their undies and jumped in the ocean? But then again, I think that a Duggar girl would be too scandalous in his eyes.

So far I like Pappa Bear, The Russian- Economics student, the female medical student on Coach's team, Cocharn is endearing in a socially awkward way, Jim (as somebody mentioned before aka Woody Harrelson), The guy who owns a ranch and Shocker! Coach.

Semhar's spoken word was terrible. Granted she was on the spot but if she was doing it since she was a teenager you would think that she had a collection memorized.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

I got such a strong Woody Allen vibe from Cochran. We heard so much from him, I think the producers like him. I think they like Coach too... they showed him playing a great social game. Also, the producers went out of their way to introduce us to Edna. I would never have remembered her if she hadn't told Coach her name. I know the show was a half hour longer, but there must be a reason she was singled out.

I'm Wrong

I'm Wrong

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:18 PM

I think Little Hantz will do quite an excellent job at redamning the Hantz name, myself. And oh how I found myself rooting for his teammates to pull his shirt over his head while hauling him up the wall in the immunity challenge, only to have his team lose said challenge due to the shock from his tattoos' unmasking. I guess I'm ultimately glad that didn't happen, though, as I look forward to when his tribe starts discussing how ridiculous he looks going in the water all the time with his shirt pastered over his upper body.

And gimmicky though Johnny Cochran's desire for Jeff to call him by his last name was, I found Probst's willingness to go along with the Papa Bear moniker far more record-scratch-noise inducing. Even though it fits, you don't have to submit.

Lastly, I'm surprised the Freakout-On-Day-Two woman wasn't more in the mix as Redemption Island's first potential resident. Is she the new Holly, perhaps? [Hey, they're both teachers of a kind.] I will admit that I found her failed Tarzan swing on the broken branch to be the funniest thing about an otherwise lacklustre premiere episode.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:23 PM

or this entire season will be set up to give him the win just like last season was for Rob.

I don't understand. How was last season set up for Rob to win?

LutherMahoney

LutherMahoney

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

My brother recently died after a 2 year battle with liver cancer and the prices that those medical marijuana distributors charge is horrendous so I'll admit that I had an early irrational hatred for Jim. He didn't change my mind.

Cochran's schtick is going to get really old really fast.

At Tribal, Ozzy looked like Joey Lawrence during the Blossom years.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:30 PM

The tribes get a bag and a water bottle? What happened to roughing it?
'Loco' creeps me out.

goombalina

goombalina

Couch Potato

Also, the producers went out of their way to introduce us to Edna. I would never have remembered her if she hadn't told Coach her name. I know the show was a half hour longer, but there must be a reason she was singled out

She was singled out because what she did was classy and Coach will never forget it. He will bend over backwards to protect her as long as he can, I predict he might even sacrifice himself at some point for her.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

The episode was fun for me because there were quite a few identifiable players and personalities, so easier to get involved.

I couldn't agree more. Casting this show has always played a huge role in its success/failure, and it appears they got most of the casting right this season. The contestants are unique enough from each other to be memorable, but not so over the top unique that they are fake/annoying...at least not yet.

Coach was very likeable on tonight's episode. He's such a dufus, but I can't help but love the guy. He knows Russian? Of course he does! I loved watching him worm out of the obvious early fodder role.

Dick

Dick

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

I don't understand. How was last season set up for Rob to win?

The teams were predetermined and unbalanced. At the very least we should have seen Rob and Russell randomly selected for the teams the way we did tonight with Coach and Ozzy.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

The teams were predetermined and unbalanced. At the very least we should have seen Rob and Russell randomly selected for the teams the way we did tonight with Coach and Ozzy.

We... did.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

Good first episode, in the sense that Coach isn't Coach-y so far. I figure after seeing Special Agent Phillip for four months, he'll probably try to rein in the crazy. Ozzy is still a heartthrob, and the red stain on his camouflage shirt makes him look badass, like he survived a bullet to the heart. Only real asshole exposed so far is Jim The Ganja Man. I know, he doesn't do the product, but after sniping about Semhar, I kinda want him to go next, then for her to thrash his ass out of the game.

Seeing Semhar going on in the dark on Redemption Island (or Redemption General Area) about how so many people lied to her . . . has she seen the show? It's great that we got people who actually seem to be fans, but she might be a case where a few casting people fast-tracked her for her poetry and the rack . . .the rack that was no contained by a sports bra, I might add. In the TV Guide Channel special, didn't Probst peg her as the first to go?

I want to like Cochran, but he needs improvement. People who ask for nicknames (including "Papa Bear" . . . remember "Papa Smurf," who got taken out for medical reasons?) are kinda lame. If John really is a fan, he should know that Probst gives nicknames to those he crushes on . . . like Colby Donaldson, whose likeness adorned a blow-up doll Probst kept for two years.

As for Brandon . . . he doesn't want people to know that he's remotely related to the show's Great Satan (Hitler? Try Napoleon, for the lack of height and the massive nuts), but he's got two tattoos that say "Hantz." Couldn't something be done to temporarily cover it up? Or something like, "See, I'm a fan! Look at this! 'Hantz Sucks A Dick'!" Even if he keeps a shirt on, I think Probst will out him one way or the other. If he doesn't bring it up at Tribal Council, he'll yell for players to rip his shirt in challenges. I do not put anything past the least-deserving four-time Emmy winner currently working today.

I feel we got a good mix, and it doesn't feel like a guarantee that our three-timers are automatic locks to win. Then again, I probably thought that last season, and I forgot that people turn into morons around Rob.

ETA: When the winning tribe chanted their name, did it sound like "OOMPA LOOMPA! OOMPA LOOMPA!" to any of you?

Edited by Lantern7, Sep 15, 2011 @ 12:15 AM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

. Earlier in the ep, I forget who he was talking to, maybe Cochran or Dawn, it seemed to me that he was subtly undermining the other person, giving bad advice under the guise of caring support.

Was this when he referred to the older lady as "you're a nice lady..."?

I understood that to be a bit condescending.

Whenever someone says that, I kind of assume that they're trying to imply that a person might be terrible at everything else but "you're nice."