The Zombie Apocalypse For Dummies: Survival Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

1050 replies to this topic

Wolfden

Wolfden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Lawless, we are surrounded by mountains here. Look up Round Mountain NV...Won't find much...lol. Lots of wildlife and cattle everywhere on open range. We live off of well water so always have fresh water...Winters can be cold but no blizzards here. Most places here have woood burning stoves in them. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go east to more population.

Edited by Wolfden, Mar 22, 2012 @ 3:23 PM.

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

Regarding the weapons debate. One character in "Highschool of the dead" said that Katanas become useless after slicing through about a dozen humans or similar things (zombies). While I wouldn't call that show highly scientific, I'd guess they'd get that one right, since it is an anime.
So that's pretty much out...
An ax? I don't like it. A small hand ax has a way to close range for me. Ofcourse in the show they kill zombies with simple knifes all the time, without getting bit, but that's just plot convenience. A long ax is too heavy.
If you have to I guess some kind of spear, made of a light wood or an aluminium rod, if you can find one somwhere, would be a good idea.
But your best bet is still a gun. Sure the sound will attract more zombies, but if you are ever faced with a big herd, you better have a plan prepared.
Prepare your house so that the first floor is zombie inaccessable (remove staircase, replace with ladder), when faced with a herd go there. If you are not near that house, drive there as fast as you can, unless it's far enough away so that you can lose the herd.
A moat might also work, but I think with a big herd it would fill up too quickly and you would be overrun anyway.
If you are holding up in the first floor you can just let the zombies roam the ground floor, until most are gone, then clean up.

Farm vehicles? Sure, they'll be able to crush and slice and dice zombies... and then promptly break down. I don't think it should be a surprise that a vehicle with blades designed to cut down stalks of wheat would jam in an instant if used against actual flesh and bone. The undercarriages of vehicles are not nearly as durable as you'd think, especially against, again, flesh and bone, which is pretty hard. And driving over zombies is a good way to strand yourself... in the middle of a bunch of zombies.

I know farm vehicles pretty well, considering my uncle has a farm and I spent quite some time there.
Even if the blades of a harvester should jam, they are still about two and a half men high, so the zombies won't be able to get to you. And you will still be able to drive over them.
Tractors are ridiculously robust. Those things can drive over basically anything. They have to, sicne they have to driver over freshly plowed fields, crappy field roads, etc. Zombies could never jam those things. And again since those things are extremely high, you are way out of reach of the zombies.

Edited by Miles Prower, Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Zombies could never jam those things. And again since those things are extremely high, you are way out of reach of the zombies.

Time to tweet Mazzara! I want to see Andrea's Ripley moment where she runs from zombies into a barn as carl cowers, then the barn doors bust open and Andrea is on a harvester like "Get away from him, you freaks!" Okay, maybe the line would be too corny, but admit it, the thought of Andrea on a harvester excites you.

:shanevoice: G'on now, admit it

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Wolfden, your situation sounds very enviable in the event of a ZA! Utah could be similarly good too -- my problem would be crossing the Rockies to get there. I assume I-70 would become an impassable zombie infested mess, and would expect someone would dynamite portions or block tunnels in a futile attempt to hold back zombies coming from the Denver-Boulder corridor. There are other roads, but not many, and I'd expect similar problems. I'm just not young, fit and outdoorsy enough to safely cross the whole range on foot, so I assume I'd have to stay on this side, and head to less populated areas to the north or east. Now, that said, there is a prison located in a small town in the mountains . . . but I'll wait til next season to see how appealing that looks!

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Well assuming the prison isn't allready occupied by zombies or hostile humans I can definitely see the appeal. Heavily fortified, stocked with food and an armory, emergency generators (IIRC) cells to lock Carl in (just saying).

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

teach your kids how to follow basic instructions. And to run towards help, not away from it. (Seriously. All that downtime in Camp Dinner Bell and no one gives the girl some basic woodmanship skills?)

Or in the case of Carl, tell him to run away from danger, not run to danger. Just getting him to stay in one place would be a start.

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Survival skills are all well and good, but you try being a scared twelve year old alone in the woods being chased by zombies and see how much of it you actually remember.

hincandenza

hincandenza

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Really, it can't be stressed enough that "teamwork" is the best weapon. I really like the bowl-them-over approach while another crew sweeps through hitting them on the ground. Actually- it's not been too clear from the show, but zombies seem pretty slow to move or get up; maybe once they're down they're like a turtle, and while they will get back up, they won't do so quickly and will prefer to just crawl towards the visible target. Getting them down to the ground is a great first strategy, because it's easier to hit them when they're down.

For what you're armed with as an individual: a large-clip, easily reloaded automatic weapon like the XM-8 or M4, etc, is the best single person weapon. It's great at a distance, it's rapid in close range, and is almost certainly a killing or stopping blow (enough to get a second shot, or get away). While ammunition isn't infinite, it keeps for a long long time, and can be gathered in huge amounts or eventually manufactured.

While there's a simplicity to the axe/blade approach, you should never ever let it get to that point or you've lost the most important battle by letting it be on terms the zombies prefer. If you're getting overrun, any bladed weapon is tiring to swing constantly, and is likely to get lodged/stuck in one of the targets long enough to have you taken out.

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

The thing is, generally speaking you don't have to hit them when they're down.

If they are encroaching on your territory, beating down on the doors of your hideout or whatever, yes it would be a good idea to knock them down and crush their skull. But if you're just trying to get by or get away you don't have to do anything but knock them down. Once they're down you can saunter on your merry way and they probably won't we able to get back up before you're gone.

I think a basic shotgun would be a good weapon for personal use too. Not counting Hershel's magic (like pretty much everything else on the farm) shotgun, which held an awful lot of rounds, the force of a shotgun blast at close range is more than enough to knock most walkers off their feet. If you do it right you can even take several of them down at the same time.

Luckedout

Luckedout

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I believe it was World War Z that made the point that knocking a zombie down, without killing it, is a bad idea. Now it's a snake in the grass. Deadly, out of sight, yet easily within ankle range.

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Only if you're staying in the immediate area.

If a zombie is chasing you, knocking it down so you can continue running away from it is no threat to your ankles. If you come back to the area and don't notice that same zombie you knocked down earlier is still there, well, you deserve to have your ankles bitten.

Luckedout

Luckedout

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

If a zombie goes unnoticed on the manicured lawns on the show, then yes. That's Dale-level of awareness there.

However, in my area, open fields tend to have waist high grass unless there's a herd of cattle or some sort of machinery that keeps it low. If group A knocks down a zombie at the start of the ZA, then group B walks by there a few months in and the zombie has been chilling on his belly for that long, group B is going to have a problem.

So yeah, it's the inevitable tactic that works in the short run, but it's not very appealing in the long one.

Although, when I think about it, who would walk in tall grass in a ZA anyway?

Wolfden

Wolfden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

My hubby is a electrican at the gold mine here. They have hundreds of gallons of gas and diesel fuel....Also big ass trucks and equipment...Medical office on site so has some meds....Ya i think we are sitting pretty good here...lol

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Although, when I think about it, who would walk in tall grass in a ZA anyway?

Lori.

Carl.

Dale.

Carol.

Glen.

Maybe Rick.

Shane, if he's chasing Lori.

Not Daryl or Hershel though. Even when he thought they were just sick, Hershel knew enough not to do that.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I lack the firearms experience to make an informed decision on guns (though I would definitely want some, as killing zombies from outside grabbing distance would be far preferable to closing within arm's reach). But for up-close emergencies I think I'd go with a machete over an axe. They're designed to chop vines and branches down all day long, so they wouldn't dull all that quickly so long as you're aiming for necks and not trying to dismember your opponents. But unlike an axe, there's not a whole length of edge-less handle for zombies to grab and yank out of your grip, and they wouldn't be as prone to overbalancing you.

I've used a scythe, and wouldn't want to depend on one to defend myself against anything faster-moving than a field of grass.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

With the recent news about a man who ate another man, a mother who ate her baby, and a man who threw his intestines to the cops in Florida, which made everyone seems on a verge of panic especially with this article of zombie apocalypse.... made me realize with all the talks about survival and how we prepare for it... I don't think I'd ever ready, people. We can talk about HOW we should do it and stuff like that. In the end it doesn't matter because I don't think I'll ever ready, and probably would die first. See, either being eaten by them or poison myself. I live in a country where no guns allowed. So it would be difficult to defend myself from zombies.

Or I can just take the car. Go to Mum's. Go to a pub, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Or I can just take the car. Go to Mum's. Go to a pub, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.

I'm with you, save me a bag of pig snacks.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

Just watched the episode where Dale gets killed, and it sure seems like this was the umpteenth time someone got taken out, or almost taken out, by a zombie they didn't notice was right behind them. Dale had a rifle, too, was in open terrain, and knew there was a zombie nearby who had just been feasting on a cow! Jeez.

So I'd say a good basic survival tip would be to just really get in the habit of regularly looking all around you. Stop every few paces and do a 360 if you need to. I mean, it's not like zombies are stealthy. If you regularly look all around you, stay armed at all times, and avoid going into places with close quarters and/or poor visibility (unless you are positive such a place has been carefully cleared and continuously guarded), there's no way they should ever get the drop on you.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

That's yet another thing I liked about the pilot. Rick didn't get snuck up on in the beginning, he heard the little girl shuffling around. He didn't just keep walking, he took off his hat and got down on the ground to see what the deal was. Yes, stay alert and look around in the zombie apocalypse. Although I guess I could fanwank it away by saying Dale was old and his hearing was subpar by then.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Of course, Dale saw the cow. He stood there staring at it with his bug eyes, like a moron, instead of looking around.

Seriously, that zombie should never have caught anything faster or smarter than a cow.

ChipBach

ChipBach

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Seems a Dead-guy-meat-suit and a poker are all you really need to survive this thing...

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Seriousy, that zombie should never have caught anything faster or smarter than a cow.

Then Dale was the perfect prey for it.

lisasquared

lisasquared

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Lawless, we are surrounded by mountains here. Look up Round Mountain NV...Won't find much...lol. Lots of wildlife and cattle everywhere on open range. We live off of well water so always have fresh water...Winters can be cold but no blizzards here. Most places here have woood burning stoves in them. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go east to more population.

Wolfden, I live in Las Vegas, and therefore demand directions on how to get to where you are! ;) And keep me off US-95, I can only imagine that wouldn't be an option...

SpecialBrew

SpecialBrew

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

You know, watching previous seasons and given the state of the roads and all the blocked freewayrs I wonder if they wouldn't all be better off on horseback. They can cover more terrain and outrun zombies easily, and have the option of weaving around all those stalled and route-blocking cars to be ablet to still sort of stick to the roads. Granted, the window of finding a farm or stable with enough living, healhty horses probably ended quite some time ago. Herschell had a few but not enough for this whole group.

Edited by SpecialBrew, Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:46 PM.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

The downside to a horse is it getting spooked and throwing off the rider. Falling from a horse hurts. By the time the rider's up and ready to limp away, chances are the horde is already swarming. Also, and I say this as someone who loves horses, if I'm in a zombie apocalypse and the sight of a scrawny owl makes me salivate, I'm eating horsemeat.

Also, when eating canned dog or cat food, it's important to remember that a dent in the can is external damage; a bulge in the can is botulism.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Survival Tip from ep 3.01: Just because it doesn't move right away, don't assume its not.... not-dead (re-animated? semi-live? Seriously, what should we call the Walker's state of being? Differently lifed?) Sorry, Herschel, you made a rookie mistake and now you're probably going to die, or maybe worse. Since the remnants of Camp Dinner Bell have gotten a lot smarter about killing things since we last visited their rag tag group, I'm surprised they haven't figured out the double tap rule about seemingly dead bodies. Unless you can see the white/pus yellow of their eyes through the back of their skull, stick them again, just to be sure that not a walker playing possum.

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Un-re-deaded.

Yeah, if it were me, any time I came across one of them laying or sitting around and it didn't have damage to its head I would give it some.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

Survival tip from Ep 3.02: When facing the probablility that you will soon be doing surgery that you have virtually no training for, zombies make excellent practice cadavers. Seriously, Carol, while the timing might be questionable, it was really smart of you to think so proactively. Colour me shocked, but impressed.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Yeah, I was all "who's this ruthlessly practical woman with nerves of steel and what did she do with the simpering wreck I remember from last season?"

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I haven't read the comics so I have no idea whether or not this prison can be the self-sustaining sanctuary Rick and his group hope it will be. For the purposes of my query, I'm going with of course it is. They'll clear it out and plant the crops and all will be well (ish) It seems then that one of the biggest dangers they'd face would be having one of those big hordes of undead finding them. Or worse yet, two hordes combining into one mega-stagger. Those guys would push through the fences pretty quickly I'd think. Everyone would shelter inside and be safe, but the siege could potentially go on for years. Once everyone's basic needs of survival are met, what would be the rules for dealing with a horde? How could the cull happen? Would it be better to live as though no horde is going to show up? Or go out there and start whittling them down? Yes, this is the sort of thing that goes through my head when I'm trying to get to sleep!