Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable: No Subtitle Needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

13 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 9:54 AM

So Le Batard has parlayed his subbing on PTI to his own gig, starting Monday on ESPN2:

Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable, the new studio show hosted by sportswriter and Miami radio host Dan Le Batard, will premiere on Monday, September 12th. The 30-minute program, from the creators of Pardon the Interruption (PTI), will air weekday afternoons at 4 p.m. ET as part of ESPN2’s revamped afternoon lineup.

The Cuban-American Le Batard, who viewers may know as a frequent guest host on PTI, is known for being a witty contrarian with a distinctive voice among sports media personalities. Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable is formatted to showcase Le Batard’s “questionable” approach to sports commentary highlighting his thoughtful, humorous, and sometimes thoroughly misguided perspective on the world of professional sports.

In another highly questionable move, the show will feature Le Batard’s 72-year-old Cuban father, Gonzalo Le Batard, to collect and give voice to the most compelling sports questions of the day, bicker a bit, and generally seem rather unimpressed with his son’s take on things. The show will frame itself around a series of questions about the most topical stories and sports figures of the day combined with hypothetical questions that prompt speculative but engaging answers and debates. Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable will also feature prominent guest figures from around the world of sports and will encourage viewer input via digital and social media.

“We have worked closely with Dan and the show’s producer Erik Rydholm to make sure the program captures Dan’s distinct personality and his ability to connect with sports fans across platforms, as he has demonstrated with his newspaper column and radio show,” said Marcia Keegan, VP of Production at ESPN. “Given the popularity of our afternoon lineup of discussion and debate shows, we know that our audience is drawn to accessible and engaging personalities so we expect Dan’s smart yet irreverent take on sports combined with the often diverting and occasionally thoroughly pointless interaction with his father to make for an oddly compelling program. If nothing else, don’t say we never take chances.”

Le Batard is currently a columnist for the Miami Herald where he began his career in 1990 after graduating from the University of Miami. Additionally, Le Batard is the host of the “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz” on WAXY-AM in Miami.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

One LeBatard on ESPN on a regular basis is one too many.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

Yuck, I would rather watch Scrabble or Domino competitions, than watch yet another ESPN craptacular talk show.

It is bad enough that Sunday NFL Countdown is expanding from two hours to three hours. Chris Berman's act is getting old, I don't think I can sit there and watch three hours of that.

How about showing more sports and less talking?

Edited by bumblehare74, Sep 10, 2011 @ 3:03 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 1:30 PM

One LeBatard on ESPN on a regular basis is one too many

If he's on the show to argue with his son and hopefully do some namecalling as well I see him quickly becoming a fan favorite.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

Just watched bits and pieces of the first episode, and it was just as bad as I thought it would be.

Quent

Quent

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

It was actually even worse than I thought it would be -- and that's saying alot because I expected it to be awful. If I had to think of one good thing to say about it, it would be that -- because it doesn't employ a "debate" format, they is isn't any yelling of the type that has taken over -- and for me often ruins -- Around the Horn and even, on occasion, Pardon the Interruption.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

sometimes thoroughly misguided perspective

Sometimes?

I'll skip this one, thank you very much. If I want to hear the views of someone outside the sports mainstream, I'll read Dave Zirin.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

• Interests:The Fake News is All I Need!!!

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:08 AM

Will the senior LeBatard be able to beat his son's ass with a belt on the show? If so, then millions of viewers will tune in waiting to see it happen.

MantisFly

MantisFly

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 3:57 PM

I like Dan Le Batard. I think PTI would be a better show if he replaced Wilbon. When he is snide, snarky and sarcastic, he is at his best, and funniest. Dan also really needs a yin to yang.

His dad ain't it. Five out of 23 minutes of the show could be eliminated if Dan stopped saying "Have you seen this yet Papi? Let's watch." I'm sure his dad is really nice, but there is a reason that Dennis Miller and Tony Kornheiser aren't doing MNF anymore. He simply does not belong on a sports show. The show is not even a week old, and with so few topics for a non-sports individual to discuss, the Le Batards are actually debating about whether or not to watch a show about dinosaur poo.

But there are solutions! Replace Le Batard the elder with Mike Lupica or Bill Simmons. And put the show in a studio and 86 that 50s Miami kitchen.

So begin making jokes about the title now:
The decision to green-light this show was...
Dan agreeing to do a show with his dad is...
Retaining the producer and director of this show is...

ferrisave

ferrisave

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 3:38 PM

I like his dad..he cracks me up! I love how he sits with his hands folded and just says whatever is on his mind. I think this show is going to be a success.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 6:01 PM

The editing on the show seems weird. All of a sudden, they'll skip to a new moment in time, but there will be no visual cut/graphic. I find that really distracting. Furthermore, the gimmick with his father is not helping the show. I don't know why someone would choose to watch this show over PTI or Sports Nation. You can't watch all three or else you'll hear the same thing argued three times.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

I love this. I find Dan funny anyway, and his Papi is utterly charming. I do watch both this and PTI- the sports are entirely secondary on this one. Si o no? I say "si".

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

I thought I would hate this show, but I actually find it pretty charming. Yeah, the analysis isn't that deep, but that's true of most shows on ESPN. I enjoy the relationship between Dan and his Papi and I like that they don't come off as self-important as most of the commentators on ESPN.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I didn't care for the show the first day or two I watched, but Dan's Papi is so cute he alone won me over. I too like that they don't take themselves seriously. Si or No to this show? Siiiiiiiiiii