The Voice (Australia)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

216 replies to this topic

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Not totally disagreeing with the decision on the night, but I'm disappointed that Casey was eliminated. For all the talking up of the choices Seal has made, as far as I'm concerned Team Seal now consists of Karise, four people who are too bland to care about and Guy's Brother (who shits me as much as the original).

Both of Team Joel's battles tonight were excellent. Actually, I think his is my favourite team (with the possible exception of Prinnie who still comes across to me as entitled). Love Sarah and Laura, though. I think he's right in saying that Sarah could win this whole thing. At this stage, she'll be my pick to take it out.

Team Delta is not shaping up too badly, though I would have chosen Sarah Lloyd over Danni de Whatsherface. I can take or leave the fact her backing singer is on her team, but what can you do? If a guy is to take out the title, it will probably be from her team (the only other real chance I see is Lakyn, Team Joel).

And Team Keith, oh Team Keith. I think I disagreed with his decisions in the Battle Rounds the most. I would have easily kept Abbie, Jaz and Glenn over their respective opponents. I'm not really a raging fan of anyone left on his team. A whole bunch of 'meh' combined with people who are supposedly better than other people I actually liked.

If I'm right, the next couple of weeks have two entire teams sing. The audience votes a bottom 3 per team and the coach picks one of them to go through. Rinse, repeat to turf two more from each team to get the top eight (two per team). Weird shit involving mathematics happens to pick the top contestant out of each team (but basically boils down to -- the coach can pick a contestant to go through or defer the decision to the audience vote). Only then at top four stage do the teams go against one another to pick the winner.

So on that note, anyone care to go out on a limb and pick a Top Four? My tips:
Team Delta - Ben
Team Joel - Sarah
Team Seal - Karise
Team Keith - Adam

Edit:

Since this is Shrieki we are talking about here, it begs the question - who else was in the pool of talent?

Laura Gissara from Idol S3, Karl Kennedy and the lady who sings on the Budget ads (Buuu-jay, buuu-jay, "It's Budget, love").

BWAH! Tea, meet keyboard.

Edited by cavalier196, May 7, 2012 @ 9:32 AM.

Evan14

Evan14

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Agree that Team Joel is shaping up as the one to beat.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

Laura Gissara from Idol S3, Karl Kennedy and the lady who sings on the Budget ads (Buuu-jay, buuu-jay, "It's Budget, love").

Hee! Well, that's about the only thing that would explain it. Oh, and you left Lee Harding off the list. ;)

I just finished watching last night's episode and I am very happy with some choices, not so much with others. Delta majorly goofed in picking Matt Hetherington over Jerson Trinidad because if it truly was about the actual voice, anyone with ears would pick Jerson, whose voice was one of the most original and interesting I've heard in ages. Matt - one dimensional screamer. In Joel's battle of the skanks which the pink-haired one won, I didn't care for either of them so they were both meh, but I was upset to lose Casey, even though Emma-Louise did a great job with At Last. In the Team Keith battle between Brittany and Kelsie, I thought they both did a fantastic job and it's a pity they both could not have been chosen, but he picked Darren Percival despite him being, on the surface at least, not that marketable. Perhaps Keith is smarter than Mark Holden and Vyle Kyle (well, that wouldn't be hard) and understands the impact that the "power knitter" market which got Damien Leith over the line in Idol S4 can have. I'd certainly vote for Darren but by the same token, the guy he knocked out had a beautiful tone to his voice. Finally, I was sorry to see Michelle get knocked out by the girl with the wild curly 'do because I always loved her work as the main female singer on DWTS. Her replacement isn't in the same class, that's for sure.

Still loving the quality of the vocals on this show.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I watch all 3 versions on The Voice (US, UK, AU) and AU is miles ahead of the other two. Just watched the second battle and I am beyond bummed that Casey didn't make it through. I hope she gets some success because I would buy her CD in a heartbeat. She has the most angelic voice and she really is so beautiful.

Evan14

Evan14

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Thoughts on the first of the "Live Shows":
Team Seal vs Team Delta.
The girls outsang the boys by miles.
Best for me were Carise, Emma Louise and Dani.
Rachael is very sweet, but I don't see her as the winner.
Chris Sebastian - very average.
None of the other boys who sang did it for me.
And Darren McMullen is a terrific host - Luke Jacobz could learn a few pointers from Darren on how to be a decent compere.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

The girls definitely out sang the boys. Delta's team all seemed to be singing well below their range, the sounds was appalling, and I kept wondering if they allowed the rejected contestants to dress them. Styling was awful.

Karise was the stand out for me. Although I thought Rachael sang much better than her battle round. Was Emma Louise in the red dress? Her voice died about half way through her song. It was a shame as the first half was really good. She definitely needs vocal exercises to strengthen it in future.

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I thought the whole night was dire and horribly amateurish - from the awful song choice, to the sound mixing, to the production itself (whose crackbrained idea was it to allow the audience to hear the judges talking to their contestants after the song??? The contestants looked like they just wanted to get off stage and Delta and Seal sounded crazy fake to me).

I'm also really pissed that not ONE of the judges actually mothereffing JUDGED, especially Joel who had a look of horror at times at some of the singing but who then went on to praise the singer! Horrible. Really horribly disappointing after such a strong start.

Carise is on top of iTunes this morning FWIW.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Agree with those who found the first live show terribly disappointing after the build-up from the battle rounds. Nobody really covered themselves in glory IMHO but those who did best with bad song choices and bad keys were Karise and the Russian girl whose name I've forgotten. Most of the men made my ears bleed. Guy's brother was awful and that screaming rock bloke of Delta's...YUCK. And Delta's young One Direction wannabe guy - his attempt at their song was woeful. The thing is, though, I don't feel we can entirely blame the contestants. The mentors, if they are going to have limited song choices to foist upon their charges, need to do much, much better. Songs are like clothes in a way. There will be something that looks great on you - right colour, right cut, size, etc - which might only look that great on you for a variety of reasons. There are some songs you just can't sing, with the best will in the world, because for whatever reason they just don't suit you. At least on Idol, even though it's probably still an inferior product in a way, the hamsters had more say in what they sang.

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

For nonAussie news website readers, Team Joel has lost one of it's contestants who has left the competition after singing on Guy Sebastian's latest single and appearing in the video - there's now apparently a bit of an outcry for Mahalia Barnes to Wildcard it back in . . . I've never seen this on the US version, has this happened on the Brit version (or any other?). What happens now - does Joel just go ahead with less contestants and only lose one at the first elim instead of two??

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Enjoy watching this from the US. No firm opinions as of yet but agree that the judging needs to include...well...judging. Come on, guys, some of those performances weren't great and fantastic and wonderful and amazing.

However, I do have one request for the producers/editors. Please, can we have no more freeze shots of Ben Bennett's sweaty pits? Ewwwwww.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

However, I do have one request for the producers/editors. Please, can we have no more freeze shots of Ben Bennett's sweaty pits? Ewwwwww.

Hah! I noticed this on the night of his first audition and the same frame has been shown every time his name has been mentioned since. Agree, ewwwww!

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

I have another "ewww" thing to report - WHAT is that thing that Joel is constantly chewing, and why is he chewing it? My theory is he's a chain smoker and because he isn't allowed to smoke on television, he chews on that gross thing instead?

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Except for Taga, Keith's team CRUSHED IT tonight, loved Diana and Brittany so very hard that I might even download their versions of their songs. Keith's song choice was just ridiculously ON. I totally missed the beginning of the show though and have no idea who got through from the other teams but whoever it was made Seal truly unhappy because he was a bit of a shit the whole night, I thought.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I think it's telling that four girls got voted straight through to the next round and four guys got the boot.

Agree, TallulahBelle. From just a couple of weeks ago when I had written off Keith's team entirely, they were something else tonight. Diana(?? -- never heard of her before tonight) who sang Beyonce was spectacular. I HATE that song, but I really enjoyed that performance especially. I don't get the appeal of Jimmy, though.

Joel's Team, who by contrast I did have high hopes for, didn't really do a lot for me tonight. Sarah I think was the best but was awesomely overshadowed by the host introducing her as another contestant. Nice one. Laura flat out sucked, Prinnie I feel like I've heard her sing that song 20 times over on the dozen-or-so singing competitions I've seen her in now and Lakyn couldn't have looked or sounded less interested -- is that cool to do these days? I see it a lot and it makes my blood boil.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I have another "ewww" thing to report - WHAT is that thing that Joel is constantly chewing, and why is he chewing it? My theory is he's a chain smoker and because he isn't allowed to smoke on television, he chews on that gross thing instead?

WHO mag says it's a toothpick. Some people seem to think it's cool to have a toothpick hanging out of their mouth and be chewing on it. The H&A character Liam does it too. To me it looks ridiculous.

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I thought young Ben was the best on Joel's team, followed by Sarah. Prinnie just got the worst fucking song to sing - I mean Nikki Minaj, Joel? REALLY??? /Amy Poehler on SNL
I've now seen who went and I am SHOCKED that it was four guys. Does this mean we might see our first female winner of an audience voting reality show(DWTS and ANTM notwithstanding) since Natalie Gauci won Idol? It should be a woman, they are consistently outperforming the guys.

Diana(?? -- never heard of her before tonight) who sang Beyonce was spectacular.

Totally agree, cavalier196, to the point that I downloaded her version last night. I thought she was electric live and her voice was great. Man, it can not be said enough, Keith NAILED song choice. I want to go to karaoke with him now.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

WHO mag says it's a toothpick. Some people seem to think it's cool to have a toothpick hanging out of their mouth and be chewing on it. The H&A character Liam does it too. To me it looks ridiculous.

I'm right with you there, nozycat! Bleah.

Just catching up with last night's episode. Thoughts -
  • Darren Percival - this guy has a great tone to his voice and I really enjoyed him on this song, especially in the key either he or Keith picked. Tempted to chuck him a few votes.
  • Prinnie Stevens - Never heard this song before and hope I don't ever hear it again. Guess she did okay with it but she seemed very pitchy in the chorus.
  • Adam Martin - Didn't know this song either but have to agree with my fellow posters in that Keith has a great way with appropriate song choices. Suited him down to the ground.
  • Sarah DeBono - Yet another unfamiliar song. She isn't my style of singer because I don't like shouty melismatists, but it was impressive enough, I guess.
  • Jimmy Cupples - Sounds a lot like the lead singer of Led Zeppelin. Did a serviceable job but no magic there for me.
  • Ben Hazelwood - Recurring theme - I didn't know this song either! While I think he did pretty well with it and I like his voice, the song didn't seem entirely the best fit for him. Hope he gets through so I can hear him do something else.
  • Taga Paa - Wow, someone's remixed 'Africa' - who knew? Another example of someone I can tell intellectually is a good singer but does nothing for me, kind of lke Guy Sebastian or his vastly inferior photocopy brother.
  • Laura Bunting - Why the bare feet? This is not a song to over-enunciate so it sounded almost comical. This classical training they keep going on about, I'm not hearing it. I'm hearing an unpleasant, shrill tone.
  • Diana Ruvis - Actually prefer this version to the original because Beyonce is more melismatic and this was more like a jazz song to me. Brilliant!
  • Lakyn Heperi - I'm with you, cavalier - he looks bored shitless and it annoys the crap out of me. Sang flat too.
  • Brittany Cairns - I love this song and man, can this girl deliver a song. Love.

Edited by katisha66, May 22, 2012 @ 12:47 AM.

Vandy10

Vandy10

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

After the US Voice finished a couple of weeks ago, I sought out the Australian one online because so many TWoPers were saying how great it was. I've finally caught up to the most recent live show, and I'm really loving it! Seal's kind of hyper critical, which isn't necessarily a terrible thing in a contest about singing. It killed me though, that he was right about Lakyn's performance. Lakyn always seems so disinterested, which sucks because I absolutely love his voice. His blind audition made me seek out the song "Kids" which I'd never heard before. And now I'm off to buy it. I hope he can get over whatever it is that makes him seem so blank, because his sound is amazing.

Freeze Ray

Freeze Ray

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

I was in the same boat with I guess half the audience in writing off Keith's team's chances until this week. His duet song choices were very questionable but now, he makes use of his infinite song knowledge from the blind auditions and gave really suitable choices for most his acts. It also helps that I think all of the other coaches made super spotty song selections for their artists this week.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Adam Martin. Sure, he's a WGWG but there's something different in him that I like.

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

I'm so impressed with Keith's depth of musical knowledge and his team won the day. Anyway, I had to go and find the song, "Different Worlds" (sung by Brittany Cairns) on iTunes because it sort of haunted me after hearing it. Since I couldn't get Brittany's version in the US, I got it by the original artist, Jes Hudak. Lovely song.

Still loving this so much better than The Voice here in the US. But then again, I like their version of Masterchef better than ours too.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I was in the same boat with I guess half the audience in writing off Keith's team's chances until this week. His duet song choices were very questionable but now, he makes use of his infinite song knowledge from the blind auditions and gave really suitable choices for most his acts.

You know, I was prepared to give him a lot of credit for Diana Rouvas' song choice... until I searched her on YouTube and saw a performance of her doing the song this past January.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hXXFu2_pGjA

Its not nearly as good a performance, and clearly the handlers on The Voice AU were able to cobble together a lot of things to help her tune her performance, but... its pretty clear SHE came to the table with the song. Keith just had it on a list of songs she already had down pat, and THAT was his part of the choice.

This is pretty consistent with what I remember of the better Voice US contestants. They were typically the ones where it became obvious that they already had their own repetoir/creative vision and the show was mostly exposure and a lot of high level tweaking you can get with a big media company behind you (vocal coaches, professional hair and makeup, wardrobe, dancers, financed studio time to test things out, etc.)

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 4:29 AM

Who else watched last night? I caught up with my recording today and I would love to know how on earth Lakyn got through on the public vote? He was dreadful and I can't even see how a prepubescent kid could find him "hot". What am I missing? I agreed with all the others voted through or chosen, though.

As for last night's performances, I loved Viktoria's take on Smells Like Teen Spirit, thought Fatai did a beautiful job on the Beyonce song, enjoyed Emma Louise singing The Look Of Love and even SebAssHat Jr was really on point with I Can't Stand the Rain. But Danni singing When Love Takes Over was soooo flat, it hurt my ears and I was bored by Delta's backup singer, whose name I still can't remember. Karise seems very popular and I like her way with a song. In some ways she reminds me a bit of Casey Donovan, but not as good a vocalist. And as a side note, the Team Delta rendition of Born To Try was lovely.

If you're reading this, Delta, please give Viktoria that Grace Slick song Dreams because she would knock it out of the park. ;)

Edited because I seem permanently baffled/confused these days!

Edited by katisha66, May 30, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

Vandy10

Vandy10

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I would've voted for Lakyn if I lived in Australia. It's not because I find him hot (because I don't), but I absolutely love his tone. I keep replaying his blind audition, "Kids" from youtube. It gives me goosebumps, and I would buy it if I could find it on itunes!

Does anyone know why the show is forcing the previous week's singers to return to hear their fate in the exact same clothing/hair/makeup as the prior week? I find it so odd. I mean, the judges are wearing different clothes, and it's clearly a new week, so who are they trying to fool?

Second question: Who is Guy Sebastian? They mention him so much on this show as the shadow that Chris has to live in that I feel like I'm completely missing out on an experience or something.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Vandy10, Guy Sebastian was the winner of the first ever season of Australian Idol and I think most would see him as its most successful winner, too. Chris sounds EXACTLY like him, except not as good.

Nerm

Nerm

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

I have to say I am completely and utterly committed by now to Team Karise. I'm not a big iTunes downloader but I've bought each of her songs and they really do stand up beautifully to repeat listening, unlike some others. Absolutely stunning. Some of the others have put in what are great performances on the night but they're not necessarily 'radio' or repeat rotation quality. At first the other night I was thinking Oh Seal - why another quiet song? Let her rip with that big voice! But on reflection, and having listened to the downloaded version of Landslide (which sounds much better than her hard-to-hear live performance), I think his decision to help her bring out her softer voice, with the raspiness and emotion still behind it, is sheer brilliance. Of the remaining contestants, I rate her, Fatai and Darren Percival. Rachael is lovely but I'm not sure she is unique enough...ditto for Emma (whose styling has been absolutely gorgeous). Seal really did get the best team, followed by Keith. It's a shame Karise and Fatai will have to be up against one another at some point. They are both better than a good number of the remaining contestants.

On another note, isn't the rate of attrition in this show horribly rapid? I'm so used to the one-casualty-a-week drawn-out format of other shows of this ilk that it all seems a bit fast - we hardly get to know the hamsters before we're doing a double take and whaaa-they're gone! I can't help but wonder how some of the ditched contestants, like Mitchell who lost out to Fatai in the Battle Rounds, would have done. He was terrific - there are some excellent examples of his stuff around on the web.

Edited by Nerm, May 30, 2012 @ 10:41 AM.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I'm one of those Americans who gravitated to The Voice AU immediately...love the talent down in Oz!!!

:shrug: I actually had high hopes for Sarah De Bono, but have been pretty underwhelmed by her. I've heard "Listen" covered so many times, & her take was barely mediocre to me. Girl is damn pretty though. Watched her twitter account for a while, but she comes across as a bit desperate, even posting an address, asking fans to send her birthday presents; found that weird for some reason.

YMMV, obviously, when it comes to Lakyn... I do like his tone, but just can't feel him at all. Seal only said what I was thinking; kid takes "laid back" to extremes, and I get the feeling listening to him on multiple songs would induce a coma.

Vandy10

Vandy10

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

I really enjoyed Adam's performance of Romeo and Juliet! Poor Prinnie; I think she's the only one who has to keep learning a song AND a dance routine. Everyone else gets to focus on the vocals.

Espy

Espy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Adam's a real dark horse in this competition. I forget all about him, but as soon as he sings I think he's terrific. He has that old school folk-rock vibe going on. Keith has made really good choices for him too.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Poor Prinnie; I think she's the only one who has to keep learning a song AND a dance routine. Everyone else gets to focus on the vocals.

I wouldn't feel sorry for her. I imagine she is partly responsible for wanting to do both. She was 'confident' when she was on Australian Idol and what I saw of her in the Battle rounds she still appears 'confident' I cannot express how much I am enjoying the lack of enthusiasm the iTunes purchasers have for her songs. Surely there is no way that Joel's genitalia can save Prinnie this round. And she can go back to being a backing singer on other reality shows.

AndrewR

AndrewR

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 5:17 AM

Sarah De Bono - please watch Casey Donovan doing this song on Australian Idol season 2 to see how it should be done.

Edited by AndrewR, Jun 11, 2012 @ 5:18 AM.