The Voice (Australia)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

216 replies to this topic

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

There's a blind girl, Rachael, who's conveniently TV friendly, cause she's really pretty, and perky. Luckily, she's also as good a singer as the two really good girls from the first episode. She's probably destined to win between the three of them, because she's got the best "story", in addition to the voice. The show really milked her backstory, but you almost can't blame them since she's such a bonanza in terms of checking all the boxes (talent, looks + backstory which comes off as super-inspirational but also a touch tragic).

Okay I've seen the clip, she sounds good and pleasant. But I think I still prefer the performances of the two girls from the first episode. I also have reservations as to how Rachael will do on more contemporary songs.

I'll be checking out the rest of the auditions later.

ETA: It's annoying that they blocked the other videos for Australian viewing only. For what purpose really? Don't they want more hits? I don't understand the logic LOL

Edited by Ehyeh, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:33 AM.

CarlyM

CarlyM

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Yep, I think that was Mahalia Barnes. I hope she whips out a Tin Lids classic. Everybody walk the dinosaur. Boom boom acka-lacka-lacka-boom...

I haven't posted in this forum in so long, woah. I've been watching online so I only really view the songs, I'm not too interested in the judges' battle royale parts. So far I like Peta, Karise, Michael & Kelsie. I agree that there's a lot of great female talent, which is cool. It's interesting to see who's charting on iTunes too.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Okay I just watched the other performances, I gotta say that I like the offbeat song choices from the blind auditions of this particular franchise.

I still heavily favor Casey and Karise though because they managed to do both: choose a good song and vocally own it.

I have to admire the guts of the girl for choosing Wuthering Heights although her vocals weren't up to par as I would have wanted. Maybe she should have just ditched the mimicking of Kate and use her natural voice instead.

Some females seem to be doing the "quirky" singing thing. They were decent but I have reservations until I can hear them get challenged in the battle rounds. There are other good voices from the male side too but they haven't totally grabbed me yet.

That Matt guy was bordering on a wedding singer type of performance but I think I enjoyed him the most just because he looked fun.

Hmmm, I like Gail even if she's old and old-fashioned. I actually think she gave one of the better (if not the best) vocal performances from the second episode. Too bad no one turned.

Edited by Ehyeh, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:36 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

ETA: It's annoying that they blocked the other videos for Australian viewing only. For what purpose really? Don't they want more hits? I don't understand the logic LOL

If they were CONSISTENT I could sort of understand. But on the SAME official channel, it appears to be TOTALLY RANDOM which videos are Intl. blocked and which aren't. Today's new crop, for example, is about 50% open/blocked, with zero logic as to which is set which way.

pillboxhat

pillboxhat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

I liked Peta last night - even to the point of downloading her song. *shallow moment* Did anyone else notice Idol refugee Barry Southgate in the montage of those that didn't make it?

Speaking of Idol alumni - I see from Twitter Prinnie Stevens is also taking a crack at the Voice.

thistoo

thistoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Why on earth did anyone turn around for Guy's brother? He was terrible. And why do men keep trying to sing Halo?

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

According to this article, it's official, Australia is in love with Keith, which is fair enough I think - this article pretty much describes me, the four friends on FB who said the same thing and the girls around the office this morning who were giggling over him (caveat, I still don't find him attractive, it's the rest that's working for me . . . )

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:06 AM

Add me to another who is liking Keith. I have no idea of any of his songs, but he's lovely.

Agreed with whoever said Delta was being too picky - she only really pressed the button when other judges did too, until the blind girl picked her. Then it seemed was a little more confident in herself.

I also agree about Guy's brother. Halo was not a good song choice for him.

Loving it though

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Karise's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...o?feature=watch

Several songs there we haven't heard from her in other videos spread around the net. I like her Guns N' Roses a lot, for example, and her Etta James. Her Janis covers (1, 2) are, as I've said elsewhere about other videos with her singing them, a bit too... on the nose. There are a few others (Joss Stone, Rene Gayer, etc. up there too, although the volume sucks on most of those).

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:43 PM.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Why on earth did anyone turn around for Guy's brother? He was terrible. And why do men keep trying to sing Halo?

The way he started that song was really bad. He got a little better though in the middle.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

Yep, I think that was Mahalia Barnes. I hope she whips out a Tin Lids classic. Everybody walk the dinosaur. Boom boom acka-lacka-lacka-boom...

LOOOOL. I did a dance to that song in Year 6. Wonder which other famous relative will turn up?

I will be gutted if no-one walks up to the blind auditions and doesn't do John Farnham's "You're The Voice" GUTTED. (for the non-Aussies the chorus starts with 'you're the voice try and understand it')

I am hating Delta. She's so damn annoying. I was rolling my eyes big time when she was telling the blind girl how she knew her struggles and snarked to my flatmate how could she possible know. I completely forgot she had cancer. Ooops.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

Anyone watch last night? I still have yet to get through an entire episode (need to catch up online) but I'm really enjoying a singing talent show for the first time in years, since S3/S4 of Idol. I was very surprised that someone as relatively well known as Mahalia Barnes was a contestant, but I suppose with the (relative) star power of the judges, it's a big attraction for someone like her. I mean, no way would a lot of these people have gone for Idol because they didn't fit the format or perhaps they felt it was "infra dig". And I'm also enjoying the fact that there are no bad contestants. I think Idol well and truly flogged the bad auditioner dead horse until saturation point and it's actually a lot more enjoyable when even the contestants who aren't so great are still very good.

Evan14

Evan14

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

I was a little surprised that nobody pressed the button for the mother/daughter team, or at least one of them.
Seal looks to me to be the judge who is the hardest to please.
And, as good as Jimmy Barnes's daughter is, should relatives of famous Aussie music legends be allowed to compete in shows like this(ditto for Guy Sebastian's brother)?

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

My impression from watching the US version is that a lot of the contestants have had some previous success in music; there were a lot of semi semi well known contestants on the US version - like the one guy who was on Mickey Mouse Club with Xtina, Justin and Brittney. Reading the US thread, it seemed like every second person who had auditioned had been represented or had a cd out a couple of years ago or was big on youtube etc.

I don't think it should exclude them, I think it's WHY there are no bad auditonees and even the mediocre ones are decent, if not brilliant, singers.

I both felt for the mother/daughter team and found the mum HILARIOUS in her anger when no one then turned for her. I mean, these judges are seeing (hearing) a JACKLOAD of singers all in the one day and they can't turn around for every good singer - esp if they already have a comparable singer already in their group and frankly, both of them were just powerhouse singers, I didn't think either of them showed any (IDOL QUOTE ALERT) shade, any storytelling. Heh.

Both my housemate and I were dumsquizzled when Seal turned around for that last girl who was not great but we deduced he must be realising he needs some cannon fodder on his team for the battle rounds.

Also - anyone else recognise little Sarah Lloyde, who is all grown up now, and if so, which Idol season was she on, it's making me nuts . . .

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Also - anyone else recognise little Sarah Lloyde, who is all grown up now, and if so, which Idol season was she on, it's making me nuts . . .

No, but I did recognise Andrew whatshisname from The Singing Bee, when he used to do all the mens' songs Rob Mills couldn't handle. His Broken Wings is extraordinary.

Freeze Ray

Freeze Ray

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

I can't believe that Delta got away with having no competition for a lot of the acts she got. Talent is high and the judges are being so picky (or are they letting her get these small wins?)

Sarah Lloyde with her young chops is definitely one to watch. I wonder how big an improvement we'll see from her in the series.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Sarah Lloyde was on Season five of Idol (so says Wikipedia). Well done to her for not giving up singing in disgust after not making it to the final 12 against the bunch of talentless hacks in that season. She'll do well, I think. Loved her song and, more superficially than this show would have me be, she looks great too.

Was it only me who thought that the last girl tonight was about a tone flat? Delta mentioned inconsistency, but that's not fair. She was consistently off-key. Probably the first truly bad performance in five shows, though, so I shan't complain.

Edited by cavalier196, Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:43 AM.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Both my housemate and I were dumsquizzled when Seal turned around for that last girl who was not great but we deduced he must be realising he needs some cannon fodder on his team for the battle rounds.

I was beyond confused. She was average at best. So to get that reaction baffled me. The reaction to Katniss was real because I had the exact same reaction. But Mercy girl? Yeah, no.

I was RAGING that the guy who sang 'We Are the Champions' didn't go through. He was AMAZING! I was going to buy that single. I didn't watch the rest of the show but to then hear that tone deaf twit go through really pissed me off. I just don't get it.

I didn't really have an issue with Chris Sebastian and Mahlia Barnes but was shocked when the Hairspray chick rocked up. There's a difference between 'released a couple of singles on iTunes' and 'star of the biggest musical in Australia in the last two years'

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I was beyond confused. She was average at best. So to get that reaction baffled me. The reaction to Katniss was real because I had the exact same reaction. But Mercy girl? Yeah, no.

I was RAGING that the guy who sang 'We Are the Champions' didn't go through. He was AMAZING! I was going to buy that single. I didn't watch the rest of the show but to then hear that tone deaf twit go through really pissed me off. I just don't get it.

I didn't really have an issue with Chris Sebastian and Mahlia Barnes but was shocked when the Hairspray chick rocked up. There's a difference between 'released a couple of singles on iTunes' and 'star of the biggest musical in Australia in the last two years'

Apparently the mother from the rejected mother/daughter duo was one of the judges on Popstars Live!

Edited by Reny Sue, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:14 AM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Agreed. A couple of the people we've had so far really shouldn't have been there - no Hairspray lady, no faded 90s boyband guy (much as I like him), certainly no Delta's backup singer.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Wait who was the faded 90s boyband dude?

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

A couple of the people we've had so far really shouldn't have been there - no Hairspray lady, no faded 90s boyband guy (much as I like him), certainly no Delta's backup singer.

I didn't have a problem with Delta's back up singer - trying to get to the front of the stage when you've always sung in the back isn't easy. I was quite shocked that she didn't recognise his voice but somehow knew Chris Sebastion even though she only really knows Guy.
I don't really have an issue with semi-professionals auditioning, at least we don't have to hear weeks of deluded people who are tone deaf trying out and then arguing with the judges that they can sing, because Barry down the pub said so.

I can't understand why all the musical singers are trying out, though. Musical theatre is different to pop singing in the way you use your voice, and singing pop songs can actually ruin it. I'm stunned that these people thought musical theatre was a back up for them, rather than pursuing a pop career from the outset. The girl who sang Wuthering Heights was Elphaba in Wicked for crying out loud. I'd say that's being rather successful and using the voice she has in the best way.

Bobsbin

Bobsbin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

That would be Mary Poppins. Hairspray was a commercial failure in Australia and hardly made Jaz Flowers a household name. Why shouldn't she get a second chance? I did think her singing was a bit too theatrical, but hopefully Keith can help her with that.

I haven't watched the overseas shows, have the battle rounds already been filmed?

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Yeah, I think there's a huge difference between Jaz auditioning versus if say, Verity (Mary in Mary Poppins) showed up. Certainly, Hairspray in theatrical circles was considered a failure - the reason you're seeing so many musical theatre people showing up to audition is because the work just isn't out there for them. I mean MP is in a completely different league - even Wicked doesn't measure up. When you are in a musical - for instance, Annie is about to open here in Melb - it may only be for a limited run, Annie is only for 12 weeks here, A Chorus Line recently was a short run as well, and unless you're prepared to live in Japan and play Princess Jasmine or Beauty, there's not a lot around. If you want to make money from your singing, you gotta go commercial - hence we're seeing Jaz, Sam and Matt, all musical theatre 'well knowns', trying something different. It's hard out there for a pimp, yo. (heh)

The problem they face is exactly what is being said about them and Mahalia, they've had their chance etc etc - and I think this is where the show has taken a mis-step. It needed to be more specific up front about how all these people got this far in the audition process - were they all invited? Were there emails to the talent agencies of Australia saying 'send us your singers', you know? Much as I grew to absolutely loathe the Idol auditioning process (and the fabrication of the All Day One Set Of Auditions where EVERYONE got to see the judges and nobody was handpicked to humiliate themselves, which was a blatant untruth) and am relieved that there hasn't been some dickhead in a plushy costume Giving It His Out Of Tune All, I'm still curious about the pre-Blind audition process and would have liked an idea of it said on the show.

SitDownShutUp

SitDownShutUp

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

One of my son's close friends made it to the blind audition round and he went to see the filming (and support her, of course!)

Some interesting info from him:
* The contestants do NOT get to choose their song. They are given two songs and they must make their choice from those.

* Delta did have team members early on, the auditions are being shown all out of order and TPTB have clearly edited to play the sympathy for Delta card.

* Before they get anywhere near the stage (I think my son said they had to provide this info with their song decision), the contestants have to tell TPTB who's team they want to be on.

* Apparently Delta is gorgeous looking and my son appears to be a bit smitten (which is weird..... he's pierced and tattooed and usually likes his females that way too!)

* Mike Goldman is the warm up the audience dude

* The coaches all had cards in the sides of their seats which they read before each contestant. One can perhaps assume that it's not completely blind!

*The audience werent quite when contestants were walking out, although they were told to be. The whistles etc have been edited out.

Alas, my son's friend didnt make it through, but did get on the telly, but only in the bit where they showed the people who didnt make it through. Her name is Kay Proudlove, she sang Blackbird. She is awesome and you should check her out!!!

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Why thankyou SitDownShutUp, that's quite helpful! Do you know how she found out originally about the audition, was it through advertising and she just showed up? Was there another initial audition, or just the blind one?

Thanks!

SitDownShutUp

SitDownShutUp

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Not sure how she found out about them but I know it wasn't a rock up and do your thang kinda of audition. If I remember rightly, she had to send in a video, then she auditioned in front of others, then the blind audition. She has been performing on the pub circuit for a while doing acoustic type stuff. She and my son are both in the final year of their Bachelor of Music degree.

Morrolan

Morrolan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

I didn't watch the rest of the show but to then hear that tone deaf twit go through really pissed me off. I just don't get it.

Was that the one that sang only girl in the world? I couldn't understand why 3 of them turned around for her especially Seal.

* Delta did have team members early on, the auditions are being shown all out of order and TPTB have clearly edited to play the sympathy for Delta card.

And yet she still comes across as smug and arrogant.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

That would be Mary Poppins. Hairspray was a commercial failure in Australia and hardly made Jaz Flowers a household name. Why shouldn't she get a second chance? I did think her singing was a bit too theatrical, but hopefully Keith can help her with that.

I hadn't realized that. I'm in the musical boondocks (Perth) and recognized her when walking into the room. I am glad they're not hiding any of this though. They're quite up front. (and wasn't Laura Bunting the standby for Elpheba? She doesn't appear to be on the Wicked website anymore which is even more interesting. I've just listened to a bootleg and am not impressed at all. I saw Jemma Rix and she was amazing. Lucy Durack was the real star of that show) I think Jaz is brilliant though but it shocked me someone so relatively well known made it on.

My main takeaway from that is Hairspray won't be coming to Perth *sob*

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:02 AM

I hadn't realized that. I'm in the musical boondocks (Perth) and recognized her when walking into the room. I am glad they're not hiding any of this though. They're quite up front. (and wasn't Laura Bunting the standby for Elpheba? She doesn't appear to be on the Wicked website anymore which is even more interesting. I've just listened to a bootleg and am not impressed at all. I saw Jemma Rix and she was amazing. Lucy Durack was the real star of that show) I think Jaz is brilliant though but it shocked me someone so relatively well known made it on.

My main takeaway from that is Hairspray won't be coming to Perth *sob*