Paranormal Witness on SyFy

• Please log in to reply

609 replies to this topic

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

OK ghost fanatics! Did anyone catch the first episode of Paranormal Witness last night?

I liked the format, the actual "witness" tells the story and reenactors (that look nothing like the real people lol) play out the scenarios. It's in the 10:00 PM slot so SyFy even makes it a bit scarier for those of us who like a little horror with our ghost stories.

LisaLuvsThomas

LisaLuvsThomas

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

I loved this show! Of course, my experiences with actually living in haunted houses do add to the realism.

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 7:32 PM

I saw it, and I had to turn it off when the little girl got snatched down to the basement. It seemed like every little creak in my house might have been Emily watching me.

And as for her telling the girl to "go out the window"? Yeah, no. I was scared. (But I will certainly press Resume Playback on my dvr this evening. While laying next to deadpanman. With the lights on.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

i agree that the emily story was indeed spooky deadpanlady but did you see the second part of the show??? the story about the FACELESS, yes that's right, as in NO face just a "hole", ghost girl that's seen on the roadside. holy shit that story scared the crap out of us. me and the mister were literally on the edge of our couch. every light in our house was on after that. i can't even... *shudder*

Edited by msbeesknees, Sep 9, 2011 @ 12:09 AM.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

I was home alone watching this show, and the no-face ghost on the side of the road FREAKED ME OUT! The fact that they had driven such a long way when this thing reappeared was scary enough! I was with the teenaged daughter who got on the floor of the car in order not to "see" anything and covered her ears, too! I would NOT have stopped the second time. I was afraid right there in my living room!

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

Damn it! I really wanted to see this show & forgot it was on. A faceless ghost along the side of a dark road? AWESOME. I hope to God they do a rerun soon - I really wanna watch. **off to the SyFy channel to see when it's going to be repeated**

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

oh it will definitely repeat KittyMarthaPoo, its a must see!

i really enjoyed the way the mother and daughter told the faceless ghost story. they set it up well, spoke with great pause and seemed genuinely terrified when they retold the story for the cameras. i FELT the teenagers fear, she knew something was wrong. her mother should have been like, "well it IS odd that this hunched over girl already vanished once, then re-appeared 3 miles down the road in the opposite direction. maybe i should just keep going." DURRRR.

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

I did, indeed, watch the second part with the faceless ghost. Scared the shit outta me, too! This reminds me of the "A Haunting in __________", but the people telling the stories seem more genuine. It's scarier to me when the people in the story look really, really ordinary. Same thing with the houses. If your story features a haunted house that looks like any other house on the block, I'm more freaked out.

Not that I'd go spend the night in the Winchester Mansion or anything.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

I adored the Bal'more accents in the house story -- nice realism. Both parents seemed truly terrified and remorseful as well as determined to never return to that hell hole. I guess the only part I missed was someone checking with the neighbors or hitting the local library for some backstory. WHO were Emily and the "white face" and the evil man? I have to thank the goddesses that when hubby got possessed he didn't turn into Zak, he just choked the shit out of his lovin' wife.

The format reminds me a bit of the haunting show from Canada where the survivors are sitting in chairs and sharing their stories while the the re-enactments bring it on home. Minus the Asian guy in the large open white room with columns doing the intros and commentaries.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 4:46 PM

yes!!! Glass Ocean ghostly encounters!! i was thinking the same thing.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Obviously, SFC is attempting to milk the sucess of My Ghost Story on BIO (why the hell is it on THAT channel. anyway?)!

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

ubi its on right after ghost hunters in the destination truth slot. i think you might actually like it??? its scurrry!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 6:58 AM

Yeah, I saw it on Friday. I got bored with the first story but liked the faceless apparition story, but it seemed like a rip-off of My Ghost Story.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 12:19 PM

In my book [and on my TV], the more true first person ghost stories, the better. Much better than 99% of what supposedly passes for "Reality TV" these days, which is most often scripted anyway. I prefer to watch creepy crawlies/ESP/aliens of whatever ilk than nasty people being nastier to each other. I'm looking at you, Project Runway!

So it's fine with me if one channel borrows from another as long as the final product is enjoyable and well done. This field has been my passion since I was in junior high, so if TPTB choose not to devote an entire channel to it, then I'll gladly hunt around for whatever decent shows I can dig up. And if the ghosties stay dug up, then I'll have to purchase one of those ghost hunting kits to verify my story. What are they going for these days, anyway?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:08 AM

I watched the newest ep last night and was unimpressed. This ep featured the recounting of how some woman and her little boy who went missing were found after a woman driving by their crash thought she saw a naked woman's body on the side of the road. This 45-minute segment was 40 minutes too long. It was followed by a five-minute segment on a police helicopter that encountered a UFO.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

I too was a bit unimpressed with last night's episode. However, my favorite is hardcore haunted houses with ghosts, not necessarily other "paranormal" things like UFO's, Bigfoot, The Mothman, Jersey Devil, etc.

This show is a lot like 'My Ghost Story' which I also love. I think the best ghost stories are from regular people in regular houses (as opposed to old haunted Navy transporters or Civil War battlegrounds, etc.)

Last week's Baltimore haunted house with Emily was outstanding. I too really wish someone had done some research into the home. It sounded like Emily's mother drowned her in the bathtub. OR, "Emily" was actually a non-earthbound spirit (read: demon) seeing as how the psychic got posessed & the voice said to get rid of all the Bibles in the house. I would have been peeing my pants at that point.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

However, my favorite is hardcore haunted houses with ghosts, not necessarily other "paranormal" things like UFO's, Bigfoot, The Mothman, Jersey Devil, etc. ~KittyMarthaPoo

Ditto.

I tend to tune-out, maybe go get something to eat or paint my toe nails, when anything other than scary-ass hauntings are being discussed. Hahaha

Edited by msbeesknees, Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:35 AM.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

OMG me too, beesknees!! I go get a snack and yes, I do my nails too! :-)

Hope next weeks is a good one.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 6:10 PM

Well, I may be the only one who is truly enjoying this show, but I do! I loved all the psychic interconnections regarding the young woman and her son whose car went off the road and they didn't find them for five days. All the folks involved were so moving in their recollections, shedding tears while talking about it and recalling crying when they had their dreams. And the kid actually survived! That was shocking to me. He must have had some head trauma becasuse he didn't talk about getting from the front seat to the back or not eating or drinking for so long. And then to watch him 8-10 years later, remembering the light surrounding the car and the figure in the light going up to the road, because the cops were not likely to have ever found that car in time to save him.

The UFO thing was pretty cool because it was two police helicopter pilots talking about their encounter with a not-so-common form of UFO. Plus another cop on the ground as an independent witness. They knew what height they were flying at and exactly where the other thing was, all up close and personal. That's quite indisputable evidence from very relaible sources.

But the best part of all the stories are the real emotions we see from those who had the experiences.

Edited by Glass Ocean, Sep 15, 2011 @ 6:11 PM.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

But the best part of all the stories are the real emotions we see from those who had the experiences.

that first story about the dead mother and her son, omg i cried my freaking eyes out, much to the chagrin of mr. beesknees. god! sometimes these shows just kick my ass. honestly though, i believe his mother's spirit watched over him, i truly do.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Last night's episode where there seemed to be a demon in the house scared the crap out of me. Produced and told well, but I was skeptical. Why would someone presume that a string holding a door shut would stop a demon who could obviously move things and destroy things. He wouldn't think to cut the string? (He did.) To me, I think that family would have moved out way sooner than waiting for the demon to start fires before they go! Scary story? YEP! Do I think it really happened? Hmmmm, not sure. The people seemed believable in their telling of the story, but why didn't they get the hell out of there? Or call more religious people for an exorcism or whatnot?

harrie

harrie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:50 PM

Why would someone presume that a string holding a door shut would stop a demon who could obviously move things and destroy things. He wouldn't think to cut the string? (He did.)

I thought the same thing. That, and with all the banging, the demon broke through one very thin plywood side of a door but couldn't get past the honeycomb paper inside the door and the other thin piece of plywood on the other side? I had a bedroom door like that as a child, and I kicked all the way through it once when having a temper tantrum. I claim no demon heritage, but I figured a real demon could chew up the door and spit toothpicks at the poor girl. This was my first Paranormal Witness, and I don't know if there are more in my future.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

I figured a real demon could chew up the door and spit toothpicks at the poor girl.

I laughed out loud at that! I'm at work! Maybe we should have warnings when we are about to snark really well!!!!

peaceknit

peaceknit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

Does anyone know what city the demon house in California was located? At the end of the epi, they said that all the neighbors had moved out too. I wonder if the area was ever checked out by psychics/mediums, etc. It was puzzling that the family never brought one in.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

no idea where in california the first poltergeist story took place. i tried googling "jamie skipper" and "paranormal" but didn't get any hits. all i know is that i believe them. the haunting showed all the signs of classic poltergeist/pk phenomena with the stacking of items, setting fires, and general making a huge mess of their house. i saw real trauma in jamie as she spoke of her past and have no doubt she experienced what she did. she is a haunting survivor. i'll try and find out where exactly this occurred, i'm guessing northern california.

thewalkindude

thewalkindude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

i'll try and find out where exactly this occurred, i'm guessing northern california.

The website PeopleSmart lists a Susan Lewis with possible relative of Jamie Lewis with previous addresses of Moreno Valley and Niland, CA. There is also a listing for a Jamie Skipper in Moreno Valley....

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

nice sleuthing thewalkindude looks like moreno valley is right outside of los angeles. i wonder if the homes were built on a cemetery where only the headstones were removed, a practice more common in housing development than one would think. hmmmm...

looks like susan tells her story on True Ghost Tales but still no mention of the town.

oh! oh! in this article about PW they mention moreno valley "...Susan, Matt and their daughters move into a new home in Moreno Valley, California where a vicious poltergeist turns their world upside down."

eta: two links

Edited by msbeesknees, Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:49 PM.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

Count me in the poltergeist camp, especially with two teenage girls in the mix. Was anyone else concerned about how anorexic the daughter looked? That fact kind of made me nervous about the level of her involvement, conscious or not. I've interviewed survivors of poltergeist activity, and their true tales are creepy beyond words. But this story very effectively scared the crap out of me.

Camembert

Camembert

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

I watched the poltergeist/demon episode last nght and I had to walk out of the room at several points or watch through my fingers because I was too freaked out. Ghosts are one thing, but a malicious entity is something completely different. I too was completely taken aback by the real teenage girl; she looked undernourished and like she had been through something very dark. Couple that with the exasperation in the mother's voice as she was re-telling her story... yeah, I totally bought that this happened to them.

The second story about the humanoid beast in the Cascades was well-told and suspenseful, and thankfully lighter than the poltergeist segment.

Tetralih

Tetralih

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

I really like this show. I really don't care how real the stories are, the fact is, they are some wonderfully creeptastic stories. Enough to give a good scare.