Anderson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

649 replies to this topic

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

That said, would he be in Israel if he was still fighting to keep this show on?

Don't know for sure, BlueSapphires, but I think his contract with CNN dictates where he goes & I don't think he's willing to jeopardize his CNN gig for a show that's already cancelled.

Edited by MedicineCrow, Nov 21, 2012 @ 12:29 PM.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I found the ending of today's show with Andy Cohen and Kyle to be bizarre. The Thanksgiving Song girl singing into a turkey leg mike with the hoard of backup dancers with turkey hats--but they kept the parents of the dead child who had donated their child's organs at the table with the organ recipients (who certainly had something to celebrate).

The parents seemed ok with it but I found it a little surreal.

jcsc

jcsc

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Definitely agree, car54. They had just experienced a huge moment in the final chapter of their son's death, and then had to be part of that bizarre spectacle?! Didn't seem right.

Edited by jcsc, Nov 22, 2012 @ 1:33 PM.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

I'm an unapologetic Rosie fan, so I loved it.

You and me both. I'm only harsh on Rosie because I love her and want to see her succeed. I'm the same with Anderson.

Can you only imagine the dynamo that Anderson and Rosie on daytime TV would be? Where the hell are the suits that could make this happen? We could be co-executive producers. CAA and Cindi Berger call us!!

Can you imagine a more powerful duo on daytime TV?

Dibs.

Edited by Xingu, Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:55 AM.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I HATED how Christie kept interrupting Anderson's stories & she even cut in when Nancy Snyderman was talking about Anderson's blindness due to sunburn.
Christie was OTT, yapping like a rabid chipmunk (similar to someone on another show) & absolutely idiotic with Gilles Marini (sp?).
I felt SO sorry for that woman who was charged with the death of her husband & was glad that Anderson shone the light on her innocence. Poor lady -- didn't even get an opportunity to mourn her husband. What a travesty!!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Was just about to come here and write the same thing about her constantly not letting AC finish what his was trying to say. She's beautiful and she sure knows it. Let the spotlight shine down on her. I was eating when Anderson was sharing his graphic bathroom plane story. It is awful to be sick like that when you are at home but I can't imagine being in a public place and a plane of all places. Did feel sorry for the guy even though he ruined my lunch.

LucyEwing

LucyEwing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I adore AC. Really, I do. However, I can't understand how a guy who is grossed out by bare feet is comfortable telling us all a story about being sick (on both ends) for hours and hours on a flight. A bit much, Silver Fox.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

I REALLY don't want to, but I like Meghan McCain!!! I can't help but admire her intelligence & quick wit. It was funny to watch her get skeeved out when they were talking about germs in restaurants.
One thing that particularly impressed me when they were talking about Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating People, Meghan said Malala, the 14-yr.-old Pakistani girl who was shot in the head for opposing the Taliban would be a lot more interesting than Honey Boo Boo Child. Score, kiddo!!!

Edited by MedicineCrow, Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:00 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Anderson, that wasn't a housecoat that the escaped pet monkey was wearing. Looked like a faux shearling double breasted outer coat.

Would have been totally hilarious if it were dressed in UGG from head to foot. Little pair of baby UGG boots and a trapper hat with the Elmer Fudd ear flaps either worn up or down.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I can't believe there wasn't a better concept for this show than Anderson sitting around doing some bitchy gossiping - then acting all serious about stuff like pageants and plastic surgery. I love this guy, but even I can't get through a show.

And now the rumor is that Ann Curry will take his CNN slot so that Anderson can be a "roving reporter"?!! Ack. I had a feeling that he took the daytime job just so that he could STOP doing those sorts of assignments. But hopefully he changed his mind and isn't going to be pushed off CNN too.

LucyEwing

LucyEwing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Loved the kid who organized a toy drive for Sandy victims, but couldn't stop staring at his father who was mouthing along to the son's prepped answers to Anderson's questions.

This show is going downhill fast. Not sure if a lot of effort is being put in since it's already been canceled, but these full hour "first fifteen" episodes just make it seem like they can't book any celebrity guests/can't be bothered.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

Half the staff is probably prepping their resumes/going on interviews.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

If he wanted to do lighter stuff he should have taken Regis place--he had a good chemistry with Kelly and he showed it way before the new Michael was ever on.

I like him on CNN--he covers things nightly that I am interested in most nights.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

I can't believe there wasn't a better concept for this show than Anderson sitting around doing some bitchy gossiping - then acting all serious about stuff like pageants and plastic surgery. I love this guy, but even I can't get through a show.

Honestly, before the show debuted, I was hoping "Anderson" would capture Anderson's bitchy, gossipy side without him quite dragging himself down into the muck. He's a great straight man (in the comedy sense) and theoretically you could have a fun talk show where he tries to stay in control of the ridiculousness that often rules daytime TV (as opposed to trying to give serious interviews to Tan Mom or acting outraged at whoever that lady was that he kicked off the show as if she's be a reasonable person once the cameras started).

He's clearly a smart guy and I like it when smart people dig into their enjoyment of trashy stuff. Those moments are fun on A360 and if "Anderson" could have been just those moments, it would have been a great show. Unfortunately, "Anderson" was a little too much like any other daytime talker.

I still think there's an opening for a show like the "Anderson" I wanted to see, one with a highbrow host tacking lowbrow topics without turning into a lowbrow host. Sadly, I'm not sure if there's anyone aside from Donohue who has accomplished that.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

I'm not sure what AC is up to - revolving reporter for CNN? That is fine. He is wealthy.

This show is cancelled.

I think he has jepordized his cred - but has a lot of charisma.

He will prevail. But need to shake off his friends like Andy Cohen and Kelly Ripa. IMO

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

I get the sense that Anderson just doesn't give a shit anymore. He's happy to just spend the hour chatting with his girlfriends. There is no rhyme or reason to anything he does. That Charlie in the Box is pathetic. It looks like a grade school project. His cheapness is disgusting. Not washing jeans for six months? Wearing the same clothes everyday? No boyfriend? Does he plan on taking his millions to the grave? He's starting to really repulse me. He seems to be morphing into his mother.

And now we're in the season where he is going to feign being repulsed by Kathy Griffin co-hosting NYE.. Please, hooker. If you didn't want her there CNN would not force you. Stop clutching your pearls. She's there for two reasons: you like the way she humiliates you and you like the dough it brings in. And not necessarily in that order. After coming out, I wouldn't be surprised if Kathy had him dress in a gimp outfit complete with ballgag.

Edited by Xingu, Dec 18, 2012 @ 4:05 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I feel like I could put on an Anderson mask & no one would know the difference. I realize every performer, especially daily TV performers, relies on schtick. But Anderson's tropes are so tired and overused. I picture his staff laughing hysterically when he did his Charlie in the box impression & telling him he has to do that on the show, and now he doesn't stop. And he always says 'It's so cold in Times Square New Year's Eve, but I never sweat as much as when I'm on the air w/Kathy Griffin'. There are a bunch more, so maybe it's too much of a good thing seeing this much of AC.

SummerSands

SummerSands

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Well, I love him on New Year's Eve, and I believe he and Kathy play up their shtick and are really good friends. He pretends to be horrified, and that's their game. He has been fabulous in Newtown, CT, BTW. I really hope he doesn't lose that CNN gig.

No boyfriend? Does he plan on taking his millions to the grave? He's starting to really repulse me. He seems to be morphing into his mother.

I don't think I see the connection here. What do you mean "no boyfriend"? That he doesn't have one? How does that make him a repulsive millionaire taking his cash to the grave?

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I don't think I see the connection here. What do you mean "no boyfriend"? That he doesn't have one? How does that make him a repulsive millionaire taking his cash to the grave?

He doesn't have a boyfriend/partner. I think he is too driven by money to maintain a relationship. 3 TV shows doesn't leave much time for a partnership. IMO, one of the joys of being partnered is being able to share your wealth with the one you love and build a life together so that you have someone to grow old with. That doesn't make him a repulsive millionaire, his cheapness does. Even by his own account he is ridiculously cheap. He wears his cheapness like a badge of honor; I find that tacky, and yes, repulsive.

He has stated that he tries to do DIY projects and fucks them up instead of hiring a professional in the first place. When Hurricane Sandy was coming he spent hours moving stuff out his basement instead of hiring qualified moving professionals and then bitched about it. That's what the "taking his money to his grave" comment was based on.

I'm all for being frugal, but cheap is just ugly IMO. As always, these are just my opinions, YMMV.

Edited by Xingu, Dec 18, 2012 @ 2:12 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

He doesn't have a boyfriend/partner. I

Aren't he and Ben still together? there were pictures of them out and about not to long ago, but even if they did break-up they were together for three years, so it's not like he has never had a boyfriend. He was also with his previous boyfriend Cesar for many years. So I doubt that he is going to die alone. Especially since he is only 45 and only recently started acknowledging his personal life.

Edited by biakbiak, Dec 18, 2012 @ 2:15 PM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Now I thought today's show was very good. Same day, serious subjects, Anderson showing what a smart, caring man he is. If this was on everyday, I'd want to watch. I just can't get into the dumb topics. He should have gone more newsy - real time.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Now I thought today's show was very good. Same day, serious subjects, Anderson showing what a smart, caring man he is.

Absolutely. The compassion and the details were just right.

Seeing the faces of the victims instead of the shooter; hearing that the family decorated their daughter's casket with magic markers; and the gut-wrenching fact that the parents of such a sweet-faced little girl were advised not to see her after her death because of the condition of her body.... these were things I haven't heard anywhere else (to be honest, I've been avoiding the coverage because I'm kind of freaking out). Hearing it from Anderson because of his compassion felt exactly right.

So much better than seeing reality tv show "stars" interviewed. I wish Tuesday's Anderson had showed up for more of Anderson Live's run.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

Anderson is a journalist and a reporter. I know that the producers wanted to get the ratings for a daytime show but they made a big mistake by focusing on those vapid reality stars as guests. Investigative reporting would be a welcome change on daytime. Too bad Anderson Live couldn't have done it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I thought it was AC's idea to have a show that was lighter. That he did his investigative stuff on his night show, but wanted to discuss his 'obsessions' of Housewives & Toddlers & Tiaras etc. I don't think he is faking that he watches all those shows. He wanted to come across as more than a reporter and news anchor and show more of his personality, he picky eating habits, his pet peeves of bare feet on Amtrak & airplanes, etc.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Whoever's idea it was for the reality show stars it just didn't work IMO. I'll miss Anderson in the afternoon.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

I think it's odd that Anderson's show is being canned whereas Probst isn't and they both get bad ratings. I guess there is no rhyme or reason for it. I actually liked Anderson's first season in the studio with the big window. The set alone was so different from everybody else that it didn't feel like all the others. This season he moved into a new studio and had a co-host so he could bounce off of and it didn't work. I think deep down inside he really wanted Regis's job but the timing was just off. I'm not saying it would have been a good or bad move for him but I think he really wanted to work with Kelly & she wanted that too and has publicly said so.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Someone posted here that these syndicated daytime shows have deals for two years to start, so Probst can't be canceled yet.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Aren't he and Ben still together? there were pictures of them out and about not to long ago, but even if they did break-up they were together for three years, so it's not like he has never had a boyfriend.

There were also recent pics of Ben kissing another guy in Central Park. When confronted Anderson said they had an open relationship. So who knows. But his personal life is his, I'll leave it at that unless he brings it up on the show.

Kathi Lee and Hoda on the Today show talked about Anderson's wearing of the same jeans. They said that the staff sent his jeans out to be tested and they came back as a bio-hazardous nightmare with more that 200 strains of nastiness. If he's that into not ruining the newness of jeans, I just wish he would use some of his millions and buy a few extra pair. I don't know how anyone can wear A pair of jeans for six months with nothing more than a cold showering and not expect there to be things growing in them. At the very least his balls must sweat with all the running around he does.

My main problem is the quality of the show. Or lack thereof. If you are going to rebrand your show "Live" then it should be so. And if he says, "But nobody wants a Charlie in the box" one more time I'll vomit.

Rosie Perez. Ugh. I would rather watch a loop of nails on a chalkboard, I find her voice that grating. Really, Anderson, Gloria was thrilled to know that Rosie had her hands down your pants and that you might have switched teams? Stupid, stupid attempt at humor. And it implies that there is something wrong with being gay. I hate when he and Andy Cohen (a frequent co-host) play like they are straight. I find it insulting. One can appreciate the beauty of a woman without acting like one wants to fuck one. I find it gross and tacky and degrading to women.

If I wanted to watch a show about YouTube videos, I'd watch YouTube.

Dowton Abbey cast? Truly enjoyable. More of that please.

Anderson is a journalist and a reporter.

He may be elsewhere, but I haven't seen it employed here. He hasn't done one whit of investigative reporting on this show. Every story he discusses is covered by his producers. He is nothing more than a voice-over, followed by a poor (IMO) in-studio interview. I can't remember one story that he directly covered in the field. (With the exception of clips from his CNN show and call-ins to the show while on assignment for CNN/CBS.)

Edited by Xingu, Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:08 PM.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Whoever's idea it was for the reality show stars it just didn't work IMO. I'll miss Anderson in the afternoon.

It's what I originally tunes in for, if they could have captured the "I know this is dumb but I enjoy it. You can judge my tastes after you report from a war zone." attitude Anderson has when he's on CNN, it would have been a great addition to daytime TV. Instead he tried to cover reality TV like any other daytime show.

Overall, this seems to be the pattern when someone interesting gets a talk show. I get excited, tune in and they're expected to fit in this box of what all daytime TV is supposed to be like, where reality TV stars are supposed to be taken seriously. If they succeed from within that box, they get to be themselves a little more but they usually don't get to start out as themselves.

kems28

kems28

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

I think Anderson's cheapness is a product of being raised by a Vanderbilt. Old money families are notoriously stringent with their wealth and are obsessed with holding on to it. A pretty surefire way to tell the difference between new money and old money is to see which one has more flashy possessions. 9 times out of 10 it will be the person who just recently came into wealth. Now Anderson's kind of weird and definitely takes that behavior to an extreme, but I bet that's where the roots of it are from.