2012 Academy Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1088 replies to this topic

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Well, if we are trying to rationalize MJ being included in the In Memoriam for that year, he did sing that song "Ben" which was nominated for Best Original Song in 1973. He even performed it at the Oscars. So, I can kind of get why he was included and not Farrah, if you look at it that way.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Aside from roles in a couple of movies, 2 of the songs from the Bodyguard soundtrack were nominated for Oscars in 1993. You can bet they will include Whitney in the tribute and this year too. Just because she was Whitney Houston. I hate how they bend the rules for certain people. The omission of Corey Haim and Brad Renfro pissed me off to no end. And now probably Jeff Conaway. Poor guy already got left out of the Emmy and SAG tributes. Very sad.

LadyJaney

LadyJaney

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

I'd really like to think that Jeff Conaway would be recognized in the Memoriam, as his role as Kenickie was a very memorable one to so many.

I usually see the In Memoriam as a memorial to those who left a lasting impression on the big screen. But yes, they do seem to forget some that I haven't, like Corey Haim.

I do think that we will see Whitney in it this year. Her passing has been so high profile, that I would be surprised if they didn't fix it up at the last minute to include her. And the Bodyguard had such a huge hit song that she sang (it was nominated for an Oscar and/or won that year, right), I think she'll be in it.

People I hope to see/expect to (along with directors/writers producers, etc.):

Jeff Conaway
Elizabeth Taylor
Whitney Houston
Cliff Robertson
Farley Granger
Jayne Russell

Those are some anyway. Who am I missing here?...

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

If i may correct the info regarding Farrah, she actually had 7 movies to her credit, not 4.

Edited by kemon, Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:03 PM.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Thank you Kemon for the correction. I double-checked and saw the three I missed. I must have thought they were television movies.

Zanzibar

Zanzibar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

"The Bodyguard" had two Oscar nominations, for "I Have Nothing" and "Run to You." "I Will Always Love You" was not a song written expressly for "The Bodyguard" and therefore not eligible to be nominated for an Oscar. (The winning sing that year was "A Whole New World" from "Aladdin.")

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Well Whitney herself wasn't nominated for an Oscar - she only sang the two songs (and another song with Mariah Carey from Prince of Egypt). In the end it all comes down to them including Michael Jackson and that leaving potential for others to be in. But the thing was MJ had worked with several iconic directors for his videos and had ties with high profile members in Hollywood. Plus didn't one of his videos have buzz to be nominated for Best Live Action Short, but rejected because it had a high budget? That's what I vaguely remember.

Oh academy, it amuses me how you turn death into a competition. All it takes is to tack on an extra photo and avoid all this controversy. Will they include Maria Schneider at least this year? Or will she be ignored like Corey Haim for dissing Hollywood?

Edited by blackburn, Feb 21, 2012 @ 9:00 PM.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Sacha Baron Cohen Banned from Oscars: Exclusive

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

People I hope to see/expect to (along with directors/writers producers, etc.):

Jeff Conaway
Elizabeth Taylor
Whitney Houston
Cliff Robertson
Farley Granger
Jayne Russell

Those are some anyway. Who am I missing here?...

A few more...

Peter Falk
Jackie Cooper
Anne Francis
Pete Postlethwaite

Seems someone's name always comes up in the In Memoriam clips that surprises me. I just wish everyone would hold their applause. I hate this with a passion.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 5:05 AM

The In Memoriam film should be people the public expects to see. It shouldn't be about who is popular with the Academy or not. If the person does not have to be an Academy member to be in the film, then they should also include people who made films the Academy might feel were not at Oscar standard. (Although they've celebrated some turkeys in the past, even for Best Picture.)

The In Memoriam clip is shown to millions of people world wide. It shouldn't be about popularity within the Academy, or snob appeal, and it definitely isn't just any actor who's got a SAG card and been in one film (which could number into the millions.) So they should drop the pretense, and cater to the public somewhat, since that is who they are showing the clip to. If they want it to be 'people we like' (i.e. the members) then show it at the Academy dinner. Or have it playing on a loop at the Governor's Ball. And be done with it. Otherwise, throw the public a bone.

They should definitely include Michael, Whitney, and Jeff Conaway. They were actors, dammit. And the public expects to see them.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Different strokes. I like the fact that the In Memoriam segment reminds us of the very important people behind the scenes.

Last year's winning actors (Firth, Portman, Bale, and Leo) are all presenting this year.

Edited by Inquisitionist, Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:57 AM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

If i may correct the info regarding Farrah, she actually had 7 movies to her credit, not 4.

And one of them, Extremities in 1986, had a lot of Oscar buzz for her. I remember her being talked up quite a bit, so that should have made a difference in my mind.

I saw on on E.T. that Billy Crystal was critical of Hathaway and Franco for not going after Leo after her cursing in her acceptance speech. I have a tiny suspicion that she may end up being the butt of more than a few zingers this year.

Edited by vb68, Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:02 AM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

Ugh! I can't stand Melissa Leo. Cursing in your acceptance speech is so unclassy. Especially at the Oscars.

I just read that Sacha Baron Cohen said he better get his tickets back by noon on Sunday or the Academy will face unforeseen and unimaginable consequences. As if.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I saw on on E.T. that Billy Crystal was critical of Hathaway and Franco for not going after Leo after her cursing in her acceptance speech.

I didn't see that (ET, I mean). Was he saying that they missed an opportunity to use it for humor in the show? Or was he offended by Leo's cursing? I'm reminded of the Oscar show where Jack Palance did pushups, and Billy hilariously called back to that all evening. That's what a host should do -- If something happens on stage that's interesting or embarrassing, then put it up front and use it, without embarrassing the person further. I know there's an arsenal of writers backstage coming up with stuff on the spot, and I would think that Hathaway and Franco had writers doing just that. I wonder if they were handed a joke about Leo but decided not to use it.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

I didn't see that (ET, I mean). Was he saying that they missed an opportunity to use it for humor in the show? Or was he offended by Leo's cursing?

I think mostly the former although it was suggested that he was a little put off by it. I think you got it right in that he would have gone back to it all night for jokes.

hlisy

hlisy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Whatever happened to the streakers that put some excitement into the show?? Yes I know, they were probably hired to do it but still.

Since I'm only interested in best picture/actor/actress, I'll be tuning in about 10pm ET. Don't really care about the gowns, though usually the men end up looking better than the women, IMHO. Have money riding on an Artist sweep. Hollywood loves Hollywood.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

I saw on on E.T. that Billy Crystal was critical of Hathaway and Franco for not going after Leo after her cursing in her acceptance speech. I have a tiny suspicion that she may end up being the butt of more than a few zingers this year.

I hope he goes after her - I would enjoy that. She made an absolute fool of herself and not only with the cursing. I wonder if she will make it all about herself when she presents the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. I wouldn't be surprised.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

"We've just gotten word that Jack Palance has just bungee jumped off the Hollywood sign".
...over 20 years ago and I can still remember that. Mr Palance's win, and Billy Crystal calling back to it all night,is the kind of stuff that makes this show memorable, not who wins.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I like the fact that the In Memoriam segment reminds us of the very important people behind the scenes.

Yes, definitely! I love that. I know somewhere their families are crying to know they are being remembered and honored. It's just that the Academy members should not turn up their noses at those they deem beneath them for other, social reasons. At least, that's what it looks like from the cheap seats.

I think Farrah was a good actress, very good; and she did Broadway, as well as film and television. It's sad they left her out. I know they have to make editing choices and all, but I liked her.

Whatever happened to the streakers that put some excitement into the show?? Yes I know, they were probably hired to do it but still.

I don't remember many details - I might've been asleep by the time that happened. I think what I saw later was a photo (blurred) in Rona Barrett's Hollywood (old movie magazine) or something. Did that happen more than once? Streaking was big in the '70s, right? I think David Niven made a joke about the guy "exposing his shortcomings?"

There did used to be a wild card factor that I miss. I was thinking about Palance's pushups today - most people who saw that will remember it years later, but who's going to remember the umpteenth thank-you list of agents, managers, etc.? I still remember Dustin Hoffman's beautiful speech about the love of acting.

I wish they'd cut out the production numbers, and make it all about the love of the craft, and not a business function rattling off lists of actor's 'teams.' And not limit it to 60 seconds. How many inspiring things happen in sixty seconds?

Does anyone remember Edy what's her name, who wasn't even an actress but was invited every year to the red carpet just to see what wild outfit she'd wear? Half the time she was almost naked? And then of course, Cher's blackbird costume.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I think that was Edy Williams.Vaguely recall her.
Oh, no, I LOVED the cheesy production numbers-I think that began my lifetime love of snarking. I remember one with Ray Bolger dancing his way around the stage, also one with Liza cackling hysterically while she sat on the stage and sang a song about "Oscar, everybody wants you, Oscar!" I really miss that kind of "so bad it's good" telecast.

Edited by prairiegal, Feb 24, 2012 @ 8:01 PM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Ah...the streaker, Jack Palance and his pushups, the cheesy production numbers. The good ole' days. I squeal with delight whenever I see an "oldtimer" on the red carpet. Seems there aren't very many left. I remember seeing Ernest Borgnine a couple years ago. And Mickey Rooney.

While I did find Billy Crystal's riffing on Jack Palance funny, it did get old after awhile. I hate how at award shows something will happen and the host will comment or joke about it and then it goes on all...night...long. And the worst is when the presenters and even the winners try to get in on it. Ugh!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Yeah, I sure didn't think the Palance stuff was so golden that Crystal couldn't top it - which was the reason he gave for turning down the hosting gig in the years after.

I really miss that kind of "so bad it's good" telecast.

I do and I don't...If they would remove the 60 second speech rule, with that horrible orchestra butt-in, then I wouldn't mind some cheez whiz.

Rob Lowe singing to Snow White comes to mind.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

Just checking in now to say looking forward to watching the show tonight. I'm sure Billy will be a much better host then last years regrettable choice.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

There did used to be a wild card factor that I miss. I was thinking about Palance's pushups today - most people who saw that will remember it years later, but who's going to remember the umpteenth thank-you list of agents, managers, etc.? I still remember Dustin Hoffman's beautiful speech about the love of acting.

I think there's still a wild card factor (we're talking about Melissa Leo's speech, so we all remember it, and probably will for some time), but to an extent, it all depends on who wins. Had Banksy won Best Documentary last year, I'm sure it would have been memorable, just like when Michael Moore won (but in a different way). Other water-cooler moments from the last decade for me include Halle Berry's win and acceptance speech, and Crash's win, which Jack Nicholson announced with a cranky look on his face, and which the audience loudly booed.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

I don't think that the problem with Anne Hathaway and James Franco was simply that they were young. To me, the problem was that neither were natural comedians or hosts, and they didn't have the type of humor that Oscar hosts need. Awards shows like this rely on funny hosts to engage the audience. (Unlike the Grammys, which rely on 3 hours of performances for entertainment, so LL Cool J didn't have to try and be funny.) Billy Crystal is a comedian. Of course he's going to do better in front of a live audience.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

I think it was a multitude of factors. The material they were given was terrible and they just didn't have the chops to carry it off (perhaps because they weren't comedians). Also they had clashing personalities which didn't work at all. Franco obviously wasn't taking it seriously and more or less bailed once he knew it was going to crash while Hathaway took it very seriously but came off as irritating and a show off (to me anyway, what the hell was the point of that song about Hugh Jackman other then to show off to all the big shots that she can sing). It was just badly done from the start.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Happy Oscar Day, everyone! I don't post during the show because I start watching late & FF through commercials, but I look forward to reading the snark tomorrow. There's also a tweet roast of the Oscars tonight with a lot of comics I enjoy participating.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I don't think that the problem with Anne Hathaway and James Franco was simply that they were young. To me, the problem was that neither were natural comedians or hosts, and they didn't have the type of humor that Oscar hosts need.

Exactly. Comedians can think fast on their feet, and produce short quips on the spot. Since James Franco and Anne Hathaway had to rely heavily on the material given to them, am not sure what more they could have done. And I didn't feel Franco wasn't taking this seriously. That really is his personality I've seen in interviews. His takes his craft very seriously, but comes across as preoccupied and laid back in person. Although Anne Hathaway came across as more annoying than I thought she would be. It was a producer mistake casting them for this job.

I find Hathaway to be a show off and I'm sure had Franco not been involved, the ceremony would still have featured her show boating.

I remember watching a Newsweek Oscar roundtable from that year she was nominated for Rachel Getting Married. She was backtracking all her statements according to what the other stars in the room were saying, and basically paraphrasing everything they said. She looks like really wants to fit in to the A-list and that reflected on Oscar night too.

Edited by blackburn, Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I think Anne Hathaway was over-compensating for Franco's lack of energy. That kind of laid-back quiet can't hold a room that huge. I wonder, if Anne had been by herself, would she have been better? Without worrying about her cohost, she might have had enough charm to balance out her lack of off-the-cuff comedic chops, and at least fallen into the "meh" pile than been a total disaster.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

I wonder, if Anne had been by herself, would she have been better?

I don't think so. I find Hathaway to be a show off and I'm sure had Franco not been involved, the ceremony would still have featured her show boating. I respect her for at least trying but I'm afraig (and it's just me personally) that she just grates on me anyway.

Anybody watching the Red Carpet? The Muppets have arrived. I'm squealing like a fangirl.