2012 Academy Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1088 replies to this topic

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

All of these were gimmicks to shorten the length of the show, which had gotten considerably out of hand. There used to be the song performances, the score interpretive dance, that thing where someone would come up and talk about a Best Picture nominee and a montage would follow, the Thalberg award, a couple of honorary Oscars. I remember telecasts going up past the four hour mark.

The thing that irked me about the above-mentioned time savers like presenting in the crowd and bringing them onstage was that IT DIDN'T SHORTEN THE SHOW because TPTB would stuff it with ridiculous montages. Ode to the love scene, the chase scene, the scene where people got slapped. Talk about counter-productive.

And now the new trend is having all the celebrities talk for three hours saying HEY YOU OVER THERE THAT DOESN'T HAVE NEARLY AS MUCH MONEY AS ALL OF US CAN YOU PAY 15 DOLLARS TO GO SEE OUR CRAPTACULAR FILM BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T WE'RE GONNA KEEP TALKING ABOUT OUR FAVORITE MEMORIES OF GOING TO THE BIG SCREEN THEATER! That is wearing real thin.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:33 AM

And now the new trend is having all the celebrities talk for three hours saying HEY YOU OVER THERE THAT DOESN'T HAVE NEARLY AS MUCH MONEY AS ALL OF US CAN YOU PAY 15 DOLLARS TO GO SEE OUR CRAPTACULAR FILM BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T WE'RE GONNA KEEP TALKING ABOUT OUR FAVORITE MEMORIES OF GOING TO THE BIG SCREEN THEATER! That is wearing real thin.

The obnoxiousness of those segments always crack me up. I feel the same way when they get the guy who's the chair (?) of the Grammys to make the big speech about how downloading music is horrendous and only terrible people do it. Does the same desperate begging happen on the Emmys (I like tv, but I just find the Emmys hard to sit through)? I guess not because tv seems more "free," but I wonder.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Morgan Spurlock answered the question on his twitter. Very generous of him.

The one thing I remembered visually was him standing up there, and hubby saying he wanted him to win. I did too but I folded in a couple other memories apparently. It wasn't the year Michael Moore went up there. I probably turned the station once his rant began.

So yeah, there was a year when all the nominees had to stand on stage while the winners were announced. At least in that one category. I honestly can't remember the other categories. I felt for him standing up there, that's what put it in my memory.

MsKajtek

MsKajtek

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

RE: Fassbender

An ex-girlfriend of Fassbender said he broke her nose when he threw her over a chair and on one occasion dragged her alongside a car which led to a burst ovarian cyst and damage to her ankle and knee.

Was the Fassbender thing ever proven? I thought it was just an allegation.

AFAIK, she was granted a restraining order, but she dropped the charges. It wasn't really proven one way or another, but he's just creeps me out now. The reports of him acting like a drunken jackass at one of the Dangerous Method after parties certainly didn;t do him any favors in my eyes either.

It's not true, she never was granted any restraining order, because she couldn't prove that any of her allegations are true.

Do you know that in California, the prosecutor is obliged to invetigate a case of domestic violence when such serious injuries are reported, even if the supposed victim drops the charges? And that's what happened in this case. The investigation was continued, witnesses were interviewed (all testified in favor of Fassbender) and no evidence was found (medical etc.) that it happened. The case was completely dropped. DA Steve Cooley was assigned to the case, if anybody is interested in more research. I guess not, since it's easier to spread not confirmed, potentially damaging information without doing any research before. :/

BTW the A Dangerous Method party story is also a gossip lie (it was reported by Sun, I guess that explains everything). The whole story was denied by GQ, who was hosting the event. I mean since when dancing, playing piano or smoking a cigarette at the party is acting like a jackass? Because supposedly that was his debauched behaviour during that party, nothing more, even according to the original source, which is that gossip rag, The Sun. OK, I agree, smoking is a horrid habbit, I will give it to them, but still, the whole story was ridiculous.

Research people, research, it's all easy to find just by one simple google search. LOL

Edited by MsKajtek, Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:53 PM.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 3:52 AM

AFAIK, she was granted a restraining order, but she dropped the charges. It wasn't really proven one way or another, but he's just creeps me out now.

Didn't Fassbender start dating that same woman again after the charges were dropped? I don't know, I don't like the sound of this story. I know it's easy to make allegations, but this whole thing seems like classic abuse victim to me.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Research people, research, it's all easy to find just by one simple google search. LOL

Not everything is online, and not everything online is accurate. I don't know if the Fassbender stuff is true or not, even now. And I'm not sure what to think when bad things about an artist's private life makes it to light, anyway. Part of me would rather not know. What Woody Allen, nominated for Purple Rose of Cairo II, was accused of is much worse, in my mind. I don't pay for his films any more as a result. And PRoC was one of my favorite films, ever.

I just want the Oscars to be glitzy and stupid and forget my cares for a few hours. I barely even want to know they are human.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Yeah, but it is still all politics. It hasn't changed.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Yeah, unfortunately - and I don't find politics entertaining, at all. What's really ironic, to me, is that it is a giant room filled with professional entertainers, and year after year, the Oscars fail to entertain.

kinomanka

kinomanka

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

AFAIK, she was granted a restraining order, but she dropped the charges. It wasn't really proven one way or another, but he's just creeps me out now.

Didn't Fassbender start dating that same woman again after the charges were dropped? I don't know, I don't like the sound of this story. I know it's easy to make allegations, but this whole thing seems like classic abuse victim to me.

No, he didn't date her after that. I guess you are mistaking him with her on-again/off-again boyfriend, the (in)famous and powerful producer. Both guys have similar surnames.

BTW there were rumours about him hating Fassbender for dating his then ex-girfriend. Supposedly he wanted to win her back and his ego was hurt when she chose Fassbender instead. There were rumours about the producer trying to destroy Fassbender's career in revenge. BTW this story is very interesting in the context of those accusations, hmmm.

I must admit that I don't get it. If the investigation was made and the guy was proven innocent (no evidence of the incident happening at all was found), than why is he still considered guilty? What happened with innocent until proven otherwise?

Especially that in this case prosecutor dismissed all accusations against him?

Not everything is online, and not everything online is accurate.

So why to believe online gossip? But not believe online reports about reports from investigation?