2012 Academy Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1088 replies to this topic

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

or Hugh Jackman?

God no. I feel like the only person in the world who can't handle that showboat.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

There would be all these corny comedy bits between Miss Piggy and Tom Cruise or Kermit and Jennifer Lopez and everyone would act like they are having a great time with lots of forced laughter. Ugh! No thanks.

So you mean the celebrities would act how they usually act at the Oscars?

Good point! lol I just hate it when they have animated characters present awards with a live actor or sing with a live actor. A show that's hosted by the Muppets would be too painful for me. Unless it's the two old guy muppets sitting in a balcony hurling insults at the stars. IMO, we need more of that on awards shows a la Ricky Gervais.

Ranlsa1

Ranlsa1

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

The verse I still remember after all these years....?

Aint it great, in a segregated state
Driving Miss Daisy back home....?
("be sure you have enough fuel
to get me to shul!")

My personal favorite one is from the infamous Titanic year:

(rto the Gilligans Island theme)

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a giant ship,
That started many years ago,
With an overbudget script.

The mate was a huge director man,
Who made accountants sick,
Three studios teamed up to pay
For a 3 hour flick.

In case you can't tell, I missed ya Billy!

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 2:49 PM

or Hugh Jackman?

God no. I feel like the only person in the world who can't handle that showboat.

You're not alone. Scoot over.

Nighteyes2

Nighteyes2

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 2:55 PM

Unless it's the two old guy muppets sitting in a balcony hurling insults at the stars.

Oh, man, Sunnyheart, that would be amazing. No songs, no lame jokes. Just limitless, unbridled snark. And if the people who did the voices remained truly anonymous, then they could go to town on the insults. Think about it. Like the Critic, but with my two favourite characters ever!

It's funny, but when Eddie Murphy quit, I was wondering if they'd tap Billy Crystal (he's been the one guy that has received praise consistently from the critics, is gently funny, not too political, and has experience), but dismissed the idea as being ridiculous and insulting - to both Crystal and other potential hosts. Huh.

As much as I loathe Eddie Murphy's smug, arrogant attitude, I do have to admit that I admire his loyalty to his friend. Brett Ratner's comments were idiotic, and I don't know what he did to inspire such loyalty, and I had not previously heard of the 2 of them having a bromance, but given the cut-throat, back-stabby world of Hollywood, it's refreshing to see such loyalty.

Having said that, I am thrilled that Murphy's not going to be hosting. I can imagine some off-colour, slightly uncomfortable jokes that fall flat, thinly veiled anger/hostility, all served with a side of "I am so. awesome. And hot. And awesome. Now laugh, mofos!" Don't get me wrong, I loved (and still do) Beverly Hills Cop, Coming to America, and 48 Hours, and I enjoy off colour humour, but Murphy's recent stuff just makes squirm in discomfort.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

As much as I've always enjoyed Billy Crystal, who's a nice guy and genuinely talented, and who will do a fine job of hosting this time, I don't know that any one person can make this broadcast relevant again. It's a different era. When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, this show was appointment TV, as my family didn't go to a lot of movies, and we enjoyed seeing the actors, laughing at the stupid production numbers, and enjoying a glimpse of a world far removed from my family's farm.
Now, with movies so easily downloaded, and the ridiculously high cost of seeing a film in a theatre, I wonder how much longer the Oscar show can continue in its present form.
Make no mistake, I still love watching this show. I loved the years when Johnny Carson hosted-he was so quick with the adlibs-one year, a fellow named Alan Splet won in one of the technical categories, and wasn't on hand to pick up his award. Carson was all over it:"It happens every year. First, George C. Scott, then Marlon Brando,now Alan Splet". He ran with it all night;later in the show when Clint Eastwood was late(?) for his presenting duties, Carson said:"We just got word on Clint Eastwood-he stopped to change Alan Splet's flat tire".
Close to 40 years later and I can still remember that-I still giggle like the teenager I was.

Edited by prairiegal, Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:08 PM.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:19 AM

As much as I've always enjoyed Billy Crystal, who's a nice guy and genuinely talented, and who will do a fine job of hosting this time, I don't know that any one person can make this broadcast relevant again. It's a different era.

I think you've made a good point, prairegal. It's a different world with internet and twitter and instant celebs. Movie attendance continues to drop - why go to the movies when there is equal or better entertainment on TV, computer, or cable? The reverence people used to have for movie stars is gone. Additionally, there are new awards shows every day - how many times can these people pay homage to themselves? I think that's why I love the snarky hosts, the ones who poke fun at the celebs and Hollywood. It's hard for me to take them seriously. They are all so self-important.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

I like Billy Crystal. But he's just so stale. I'm also not interested in any host out to puncture "Hollywood" because that also comes off smug and self-important too too often. It is...just an awards ceremony. Taking it too seriously goes both ways.

I think they should just minimize the emcee function and do pre-taped bits and intros. They're usually a lot funnier with better timing and production.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

Having said that, I am thrilled that Murphy's not going to be hosting. I can imagine some off-colour, slightly uncomfortable jokes that fall flat, thinly veiled anger/hostility, all served with a side of "I am so. awesome. And hot. And awesome. Now laugh, mofos!"

While I disagree because I love Eddie Murphy and find him funny, especially in a standup space, what we have in exchange is... a bunch of corny sing-songy numbers with Billy Crystal? When was the last time he was relevant?

I'll pass on this now that Eddie's bowed out.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 5:37 PM

Billy Crystal

When was the last time he was relevant?

Funny, I was asking the same thing about Eddie Murphy.

YMMV.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 7:37 PM

I was happy with Eddie Murphy and now I'm happy with Billy Crystal. Either one would be a vast improvement over last year's so-called *hosts*. So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Billy.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Oscars trailer!

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

or Hugh Jackman?

God no. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who can't handle that showboat.

You're not alone. Scoot over.

Given James Franco's blase' attitude about hosting, or rather, his non-hosting of last year's Oscars, I'd much rather watch the show being hosted by someone who, unlike him, knows what they're doing and actually wants to be there, whether it's Billy Crystal, Hugh Jackman or whomever.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

James Franco's hosting was awful. Who thought that up?

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Personally, I found his lack of interest in hosting the show to be easier to watch than Anne Hathaway's desperation.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

I can agree with that, and yet I still feel that if James had been a bit more engaged, Anne wouldn't have been so desperate. She was overcompensating for his detachment.

This year, of course, if the actual Oscar show is panned or doesn't run smoothly, they have a built-in excuse in the change of personnel. And I bet that, if needed, the Oscar showrunners will milk that for far more than its worth.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

The format's a bit difficult, to say the least, but here are the complete list of this year's nominees.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Melissa McCarthy...wow! And that's a good kind of wow. She must be flipping out.

Wasn't positive Rooney Mara would squeeze in there but good for her.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Glad to see that Pixar's "Cars 2" was shut out. It was a mediocre movie. I only watched it because it was Pixar.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Moved to movie thread.

Edited by soymilk, Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:25 AM.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I was a bit surprised that Bryce Dallas Howard didn't get a nod in the supporting category for her deliciously despicable performance in The Help. Congrats to Octavia and Jessica - and of course Viola.

Edited by isotonerz, Jan 24, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

Lector

Lector

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I was surprised about War Horse getting a Best Picture nod after all, what with the recent snubs. But no Spielberg, eh?

I'm definitely happy about Oldman's nomination.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

So, Rango, Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2 beat out Tintin for a nom? Weird.

RedJed

RedJed

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I can't believe we now live in a world where Jonah Hill is an Oscar nominated actor

MusicJunkie85

MusicJunkie85

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

I am thrilled for Gary Oldman! It's about freaking time. He's been overlooked for so long. He's such a fantastic actor.

RocketFuel

RocketFuel

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Just some thought:

I like to think Michael Fassbender was 6th, and nothing for Gosling either... but that's a tough, tough field. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of them.

I can't believe we now live in a world where Jonah Hill is an Oscar nominated actor

Yeah, I loved Moneyball but his performance never struck me as being awards worthy, it was just Jonah Hill being Jonah Hill-ish. Maybe it's the token appeal-to-the-young'uns nomination.

No Trent Reznor for Dragon Tattoo? I thought the soundtrack was a little overdone anyways.

I am thrilled for Gary Oldman! It's about freaking time. He's been overlooked for so long. He's such a fantastic actor.

Agreed! I totally thought he would get overlooked. Another nomination I'm glad about is Nick Nolte. That should get more attention for Warrior, that movie totally blew me away when I saw it.

There's only two songs nominated! That should cut down the long slog on awards night. Another bonus- no Madonna.

Hopefully Harry Potter will clean-up in those technical categories. For a franchise that did so much box office (something like $7 billion) for the movie industry, too bad it can't go out Lord of the Rings-style at the Oscars.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

I agree. I had no idea he had never been nominated - that floored me. He should have been nominated long ago with Sid and Nancy. So glad that he was finally recognized.

And I would like to thank the Academy for keeping Madonna far, far away from the Oscar telecast. Her Golden Globes appearance and speech were mind-numbing. I didn't need any more of that, thanks.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

The noms do nothing but continue to show how predictable and unimaginative the Oscars has become. On top of that, what the Academy probably considered the "wildcard" -- like a Jonah Hill nomination -- is kind of...confusing? Disheartening?

So many good nominees left out I don't know where to begin, but I'm most frustrated by the Fassbender and Brooks ignores. And though it might have been a long shot, nothing for Elizabeth Olsen? Or even John Hawkes from that same movie? They both were fantastic.

I don't know why I ever expect it to be different, as most of the noms are pretty predictable. You have your Clooney, your Streep, Scorsese, Woody Allen Zzzzzzzzz, wake me when it's over. And while even though some are predictable, they are good, but doesn't the Academy ever get tired of being so flat?

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

The noms do nothing but continue to show how predictable and unimaginative the Oscars has become

Were they ever not predictable and unimaginative?

Kerri Johnson

Kerri Johnson

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Melissa McCarthy's nomination just proved to me what a sad year 2011 was for movies. I honestly can't take the Oscars seriously after this.