2012 Academy Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1088 replies to this topic

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 4:26 PM

Yeah, I know it's early, but just read that Eddie Murphy has been tapped to host.

This will be Murphy's first time hosting the Academy Awards. He said in a statement Tuesday that he is "enormously honored" to join the ranks of past Academy Awards hosts such as Johnny Carson, Bob Hope, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin and Whoopi Goldberg. ...

The 84th annual Academy Awards will be held Feb. 26, 2012 at the Kodak Theatre.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

That might be interesting.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 8:39 PM

I'm not sure what to make of this, honestly. He might be great. Or he might not. Is he going to be the Eddie Murphy of the past 10-15 years who's been a heavily watered down version of his former self? Or is this going to be a real return to form (but clean)? If he's on and like he was on SNL, look out. It's probably a good choice to get ratings as people are going to be curious.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

He himself has admitted his cool and edge are gone, but I'm still hoping we get glimpses of 80s Eddie in there somewhere. Definitely a step up from last year's hosts.

williams44

williams44

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:33 AM

Eddie Murphy? I'd rather Kathy Griffin...at least she'd make me excited about watching the show.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

I still remember when he presented Best Picture that time when he was at the height of his fame. He was quite critical of the whole thing to say the least. And then a few years ago, when he was nominated for Dreamgirls, he bolted as soon as he lost. So The Academy is really putting a lot of faith in him here.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 12:12 PM

I'll give him a chance. He might surprise me and do very well; I do think he has it in him to be funny and a great host, although doubtful it will match his prime in the 80s. Then again, I also thought Franco/Hathaway were going to be a breath of fresh air (mainly, because of Anne's SNL hilarious hosting gigs), but boy, was I totally wrong about that.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

I love Eddie, so I'm excited, I'm just curious as to what kind of leash they'll put him on - I'm assuming they're going to restrict his material even more then when Chris Rock hosted a few years back. I enjoyed when Chris Rock hosted, but you could tell he was frustrated that he couldn't do a little more; if Eddie can find the right balance, I'm sure he'll be hilarious. At the very least, he's got a bit of an unpredictability factor that I'm looking forward to.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

I love Eddie, so I'm excited, I'm just curious as to what kind of leash they'll put him on - I'm assuming they're going to restrict his material even more then when Chris Rock hosted a few years back.

This is what I'm feeling, too. I hope this is Eddie circa "Boomerang," at least. That would be funny and still moderately clean.

As to the article with him admitting his "cool and edge" are gone, I could see that. He has a gaggle of kids, is 50 years old, and has been making bombs and family friendly films for the last 15 years. It's like rappers who rap about how wealthy they are now - don't really have much to complain about anymore.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 9:25 AM

I know we're not going to get the Raw Eddie Murphy. I just hope we don't get the Klumps Eddie Murphy.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but between Brett Ratner producing and Eddie Murphy hosting, this may be a bigger train wreck than last year's fiasco with Franco and Hathaway. Eddie Murphy is not the most consistent of performers. When he's "on", he's brilliant - no one can touch him. But when he's "off" - well, let's just say that it's not quite the same.

What would be hilarious though is if he has a diva fit in the middle of the show and storms out.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 11:55 AM

What would be hilarious though is if he has a diva fit in the middle of the show and storms out.

Oh man, now that you say that, I can imagine that happening!

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 3:13 PM

Well, it looks like both Brett Ratner (as the producer) and Eddie Murphy will no longer be apart of the telecast do to some controversy with Ratner, and Murphy's loyalty towards him. No idea what they're going to do now.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

My dream hosts are British but will never happen: Eddie Izzard or Stephen Fry. I don't think Ricky Gervais would do it, but Russell Brand might.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

Murphy would have been a disaster as host, unless he had the ability to poke fun at himself for all the turkeys he's acted in (including the current Tower Heist, directed by.......Brett Ratner). But I always thought Eddie's ego was too big for that.

The Academy should be saying a little prayer of thanks.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

Brett Ratner's apology in the link thuganomics posted -- if Ratner wrote it himself -- seems extremely sincere, and the polar opposite of so many recent "if I've offended anyone, I'm sorry" faux-pologies that celebs spout these days. Sounds like he really understands just why what he said was stupid and wrong-headed.

Good for him. Now, if only he'd apologize for the mess that was "Tower Heist".

ETA: braggtastic, I totally second your brilliant suggestion of Eddie Izzard and/or Stephen Fry. If only....

Edited by A Boston Gal, Nov 9, 2011 @ 7:21 PM.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 9:39 PM

There is now a grassroots campaign to get the Muppets to host the Oscars.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

I nominate Even Stevphen to host (Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell). Or Colbert and Stewart. Although, after his last hosting gig, Jon Stewart didn't seem that interested in hosting ever again. Or maybe just Colbert. He loves to sing and dance, too. I think we'd get a great all-around variety show.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Oh no! Not the Muppets! I like the Muppets, but that would be excruciating. There would be all these corny comedy bits between Miss Piggy and Tom Cruise or Kermit and Jennifer Lopez and everyone would act like they are having a great time with lots of forced laughter. Ugh! No thanks.

I like the idea of Eddie Izzard. Someone with some bite.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

I've never really minded any of the hosts, it's the awful jokes and corny introductions, which is the main reason I DVR the Oscars, so I can FF through 75% of the show.I would also be thrilled if the host(or hosts)handled the reading of the nominees, and handed out the awards, thus eliminating the need for so many presenters and the endless jabbering.I would also remove all the unneeded montages honoring one thing or another, except, of course, for the remembrance of those who have passed away.
This show could be a gem like the Tonys, which is always an entertaining show that doesn't drag on for what seems like 10 hours.

Edited by prairiegal, Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:57 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:29 AM

Brett Ratner's apology in the link thuganomics posted -- if Ratner wrote it himself -- seems extremely sincere, and the polar opposite of so many recent "if I've offended anyone, I'm sorry" faux-pologies that celebs spout these days. Sounds like he really understands just why what he said was stupid and wrong-headed.

The LA Times suggested that it was Ratner's comments on the Howard Stern show that really got him booted. They said the apology for the anti gay comment would probably have been sufficient for him to keep the job.

I have no idea what he said on the Stern show, exactly.

Edited by Rickster, Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:29 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 11:24 AM

He talked about his sexual exploits with actresses including Lindsey Lohan. He told her to get tested for STDs before he would have sex with her. I'm sure there were more things, including confirming a sexual exploit with a female comic that she wrote about in a book (maybe Whitney Cummings?).

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

A replacement for Ratner has been named.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

I nominate Even Stevphen to host (Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell).

That pairing would so rock.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 5:29 PM

He's baaaaaaack!

Billy Crystal To Host Oscars

(at least according to this NY Times blog)

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I'm sure there were more things, including confirming a sexual exploit with a female comic that she wrote about in a book (maybe Whitney Cummings?).

It was Olivia Munn, which he also had to apologize for- turns out he never slept with her and she didn't write those things in her book in retaliation for getting dumping, after claiming that was the case on Stern. Good riddence.

I'm bummed that Eddie Murphy won't be hosting, but I'm excited for Billy Crystal. I just hope I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Edited by bparhad, Nov 12, 2011 @ 9:05 AM.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

With ten best picture nominees instead of five, his traditional opening number will be quite the challenge. Hope he can do them all justice.

The verse I still remember after all these years....?

Aint it great, in a segregated state
Driving Miss Daisy back home....?
("be sure you have enough fuel
to get me to shul!")

Edited by A Boston Gal, Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:58 AM.

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 12:43 AM

There would be all these corny comedy bits between Miss Piggy and Tom Cruise or Kermit and Jennifer Lopez and everyone would act like they are having a great time with lots of forced laughter. Ugh! No thanks.

So you mean the celebrities would act how they usually act at the Oscars?

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake, Academy. Billy Crystal? AGAIN!? Gah. I suppose this will mean that Bruce Vilanch will once again be hired to do all his standard-issue lame jokes for the show.

Why not NPH? or Hugh Jackman? Or (as you guys have already suggested) Even Stevphen? or Colbert with Stewart? Or Colbert alone? Or Tina Fey/Amy Poeller? Or....just about any number of other people besides Billy Crystal?

For fuck's sake.

commentator

commentator

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

Colbert with Stewart? Or Colbert alone?

Worst hosts ever. Lame.

I was looking forward to Eddie, but happy that Billy will be back. Yay!