4-8: "Hermanos" 2011.09.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

247 replies to this topic

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

So that makes me wonder about Chile, maybe Gus was there but maybe Gus was not originally from Chile?

Seems perfectly possible to me, sure. Either way, I'm in the camp thinking that following the Max trail will eventually lead to him.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 8:50 AM

I think Giancarlo did the best he could with the Spanish. To my untrained ear, he sounded fine. There was one part where he stumbled, but I'm sure that was because Gus was nervous. In the podcast Steven Bauer said Giancarlo and Mark Margolis (Tio Hector) did great. That's not to say that viewers who were bothered by his Spanish are wrong -- of course not -- but I think too much is being made of how a non-Spanish-speaking actor's Spanish sounds. So I don't doubt he's from Chile.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

I got the feeling that at the time of the flashback, Gus was basically an innocent. Yes, he made meth, but I don't think he had ever killed anyone. I think seeing Max murdered right in front of him was an inciting incident that turned him to become as ruthless as his enemies

I agree, I think that was one of the major points of that scene, as well as giving us some insight to his relationship with the Cartel.

I always go back to the title of the show after each episode and think about WHO is being referenced by the title. The obvious one is Walt, but as the show progresses, we see more and more characters that can be seen as "breaking bad". This scene shows us the moment for Gus, IMO. He was a meth dealer it seems before that scene, but this seems to have been his incentive to become THE meth dealer of the southwest and to try and crush the cartel.

In regard to his heritage, I thought the commercial they aired for the chicken place at one time mentioned his heritage, or at least alluded to it, but I don't know that for sure.

BlurryEyed

BlurryEyed

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

Tio Hector is in Gus's world now and using English emphasizes that.

That is an excellent point.

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

Nitpick... in the poolside conversation, when asked about his menu, Max said they sometimes offer "carnitas," if they can get beef from the market (or something like that). But carnitas are made from pork, not beef. I was really surprised by that mistake. I've been meaning to bring it up, but kept forgetting, until now.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I was very surprised by that, too. Then I thought maybe I was mistaken, that sometimes carnitas can be beef. .... I just rewatched that scene, and although the subtitles say 'beef,' I wonder if Max ever said that. He speaks too fast for me to pick out the individual words, so I can't tell. Of course the subtitles were scripted -- They probably came first, then were translated into Spanish for the actors -- so that's still a mistake.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

(Working my way through S4 on Blu-ray in anticipation of getting caught up in time for the S5 premiere...)

This is the best show on TV (probably ever), and this season is really heating up after a slow start. But because of my love for the show, it pains me all the more when the writers occasionally drop the ball in key moments. Specifically, in this case: why on earth would Walter plot with Jesse at Jesse's house, given that Gus (or should I say, Mike) has had motive and opportunity to bug the place, and--oh yeah--has done it to Walt before?!? As recently as the end of S3, Walt was still very paranoid about being electronically surveilled, riding with Saul in the car and pretending to go look at a potential money laundering investment, until they got deep into the arcade and felt they could speak freely. But now, with even more "heat" on him from Gus and Mike, and at Jesse's place of all places, he thinks it's safe to plot Gus's murder? C'mon now.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

I too thought it was weird that they openly talked about killing Gus at Jesse`s place. How did they know it wasnt bugged like Walts house once was.