4-8: "Hermanos" 2011.09.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

247 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 9:49 PM

TV Guide sez:

Skyler devises a plan to cure her money woes; Hank recruits Walt to help him work out a theory, while Walt grows impatient with Jesse.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Steven Bauer as a Don of the Mexican Mafia! Leave it to him to comment about meth being "the poor man's cocaine"

Now after this episode we see why Gus wants vengeance. The look in Gus' cold and lifeless eyes would scare this piss out of anyone who attempts to cross his path. He tried to prove to Don Elidao that meth was the more profitable way than cocaine, and now that Gus has the money and moxie for making meth with Walt as his cook, he wants the Don out of the picture entirely by offering the $50 million to the Cartel and to avoid an all out war.

I still think the Cartel wants Walt , but I still think Hector might be the one as well.

And when Don Elidao mentioned to Gus "I know who you are, but you're not in Chile anymore", what exactly did Gus do? Part of Pinochet's regime? Another interesting line to be followed here.

Another awesome episode tonight.

Edited by MightyMac63, Sep 5, 2011 @ 10:52 AM.

yadayada

yadayada

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Can someone help me out. Is the reason why Gus has a problem with the Cartel is because the Cartel at first refused to get into the meth game with Gus and now the Cartel wants a piece cause Gus is dealing in their territory?

Edited to also ask: Did Gus always know he was going to get into the meth game? If not, then why put his "hermano" through school in Chile?

Glad to see a Gus episode but it raises more questions that it answers.

Edited by yadayada, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:12 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

I was really hoping to see gus kill Tio, I have to admit. Even before the flashback, I was hoping. I hate that creepy old bastard.

Nice to have a Gus-centric episode, and Giancarlo was fantastic, but my favorite scene was actually Walt in the car with Hank, with Mike in the next car watching him. I love that the show can sustain those "oh shit" moments for so long.

Jesse is not your employee, Walt, and even if he was, his job is not to kill for you. Try to show some respect. Asshole.

Saul has a soft spot for Jesse! Cute!

Edited by ReadIshmael, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:11 PM.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

So is there an Emmy for Awesomest Portrayal of a Ruthless Drug Lord in a series? Cause there really should be.

Chikibun

Chikibun

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Sooo~ as I'm majorly into the encore, just a quick thought.

From what I gather, Gus' attempt to take the meth business from the cartel seems less to do with the added benefit of gaining more money. . but more to do with the idea of getting back at them for causing the death of his "brother"

Wow, I -never- would've guessed such a thing. Very good episode.

MacMom

MacMom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

Was it just me or did it seem that Gus and his "brother" seemed to be more than just friends?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

From what I gather, Gus' attempt to take the meth business from the cartel seems less to do with the added benefit of gaining more money. . but more to do with the idea of getting back at them for causing the death of his "brother"

He IS very loyal.

Fantastic ep. I cracked up when Mike's car pulls up in the background behind Hank.

So many great scenes. The interrogation -- or interview -- scene with Gus at the police station was outstanding. You could see Gus's mind going at lightning speed to come up with the stories. Of course, the story about Gale was really the story about his hermano Max.

The scene with Hank and Walt in the car was fantastic, too.

And the flashback. Wow.

Love it all.

Edited by peeayebee, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:15 PM.

Wapa

Wapa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

God damn, this episode was great.

The interrogation of Gus at the beginning, who had an answer for everything, was intense. The fact that he just happens to carry his schedule around was amazing.

Gus telling Walt to put the tracker on his car was amusing.

The difference in Tio from the flashback to the present and how much he's changed since is astounding. Not being scared of anything to what I imagine is being scared shitless by Gus. Crazy. Also, does anyone have any ideas for why Gus saw him in the final scene and if it was a flashback or not?

The preview for next week is gonna be insane.

Edited by Wapa, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:17 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Was it just me or did it seem that Gus and his "brother" seemed to be more than just friends?

That's what I thought the show was hinting at but Sepinwall didn't even mention it in his review so now I'm thinking I'm making it up because I had wondered about it at some other point in the series.

This may also work as to why Gus hasn't been able to kill Jesse. He reminds him of Max and he knows what killing Jesse would do to Walt.

Excellent episode. I've always loved GE as Gus so I was happy to get an episode full of back story for him. I really want to know who he is now.

I loved how they brought back Tio's bell, even the elevator scene had the sound.

My only slight complaint was that it was awfully convenient that Walt happened to be around when Jesse received that text message.

Edited by Irlandesa, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:18 PM.

Sedna1000

Sedna1000

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Was Gus a member of The Caravan of Death?

link

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

I loved this episode to death. Everything about it was great. ITA with all that's been mentioned above and even the vacuumed money bags.

So, I guess now we know how Gail and Gus met. I wonder if he was cultivated from the beginning or if Gus has some other 'scholarship' recipients/future cooks in the pipeline.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

This actually explains Gus a whole lot better. I can absolutely buy that his anger at the cartel is over the death of his "brother". It actually explains alot. Why he was so willing to kill so many people. Plus why he was so willing to set up the scary cousins. I loved the scenes with Hector both young and old. From young arrogant killer to an old crippled helpless man. I think Tio underestimated Gus all those years ago. I think the cartel did too; and everyone paid the price for it.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:31 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

HOLY SH****TTTTT!!!!! Love the end when Gus was trying to make Hector look at him.

Well, it seems to me that it was Gus who got the cartel into dealing meth - making a ton of money for them - but they don't really want to be held accountable to Gus because of the disrespect he showed Don Eladio and that he isn't Mexican. I'd love to get more about his Chile days.

Gus should know not to have such pat answers for every police question. Walt should really just let Gus be. It seems that Gus is making mistakes with the cartel, and his nerves are shaking.

Too many bells, rings.

Skyler was funny with the money and hangers. My husband commented that she should have put up a wooden beam to support the hangers. It's the little moments like that which make this show. Saul, as usual, another moment of tension relief.

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

Can someone help me out. Is the reason why Gus has a problem with the Cartel is because the Cartel at first refused to get into the meth game with Gus and now the Cartel wants a piece cause Gus is dealing in their territory?

The problem is personal: The cartel killed his boyfriend.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

To me, they had a deep love, like real brothers. I think each of us would have the same reaction if one of our siblings were shot in front of us.

Was the other guy in the flashback Juan Bolsa?

When I rewatch, I'll have to pay special attention to what Gus says about Gale, because he's actually talking about Max. Although describing Gale as kind and gentle is accurate, it's clear now that Gus was thinking of Max.

It's so great that Walt has to talk to Gus thru the camera.

Love this from Jesse: "What if this is like math or algebra, and you add plus-douchebag to a minus-douchebag, then you get, like, zero douchebags."

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

Freaking awesome. Watching encore.

Love that Saul enjoys playing Ed McMahon. He's constructed a life that doesn't have a lot of room for good deeds; no wonder he likes it that Jesse gives him a reason to help with one on a regular basis.

Anyone else wonder if Walt was telling the truth about still being in remission?

Loved it that Hank said "rock show."

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

Chemistry students out there, don't let Gus pay for your education.

Sarah V

Sarah V

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Parks and Rec, Community, True Blood, 30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development, Dexter, Pushing Daises.

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Wow, wow, wow. Amazing freaking episode!

I'm jumping on the bandwagon that Gus and his partner were more than friends. Between Tio's comment about how they "like what they see," and the how the partner was pleading, begging for Gus' life, definitely seemed like more than friends to me.

I loved everything about this episode: the interrogation, Saul, Mike pulling up in the Los Hermanos parking lot, Jesse's math, the elevator sounding like Tio's bell, and Gus slowly torturing Tio emotionally. I'm dying for Gus' backstory in Chile, and I can't wait until the show delivers.

I'm not sure if Walt was being completely honest about his remission, either.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

So, did Jesse's ex-girlfriend already go through all the cash - that fat stack, yo - already? Why is she needing weekly payments?

Also, I'm not understanding the meaning of the text message. (I'm watching the encore now, but it's not there yet) Who was the message from and what did it mean? Why didn't Walt like the message?

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

I wonder if there was more to the results of that scan than Walt related to his family at dinner. The dialogue about a "wake-up call" (which Walt ignored!) and "one of these days... hell, maybe today" made me think there might have been more to that than we were allowed to know.

The tiny little bell that chimed every time the cousins appeared had a cameo when Gus was in the elevator. And what was he doing with his hand?

Does the camera that Walt was pleading his case into so desperately actually have sound? When Gus was watching it on his computer screen I didn't hear any.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

I assume the message was from Mike or Tyrus. Walt didn't like it because Jesse should have told Walt that there was a meeting scheduled. Since he didn't, he was hiding it from Walt. And then when Walt asked Jesse if the message was anything important, Jesse kind of shook his head, so Walt knows Jesse's keeping secrets from him.

Does the camera that Walt was pleading his case into so desperately actually have sound? When Gus was watching it on his computer screen I didn't hear any.

Yes, it has sound. In a scene in an earlier ep (I can't remember which) you can hear sound in the lab. Also, Vince said in a podcast that there was audio.

Edited by peeayebee, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:43 PM.

spitfire421

spitfire421

Just Tuned In

Re: Caravan of Death.

The blood in the water at the beginning of the episode (the "brother's" blood in the swimming pool) reminded me of the people who were dumped into the sea in Chile. Tio's urinating into the pool also reminded me of that as the disregard seemed to symbolize the idea of throwing those defined as "garbage" (live human beings) into the sea. I'm wondering if the "brother" was actually a child of death squad victims. Some of those young children were taken and adopted by members of the government or other elites connected to the government. Gus could have looked on him as a younger brother, perhaps compensating for his own role in the death of the young man's parents. Just a guess on my part.

I have been wondering for a while: what is the significance of the fact that Gus is Chilean? Tonight, we got part of the answer.

yadayada

yadayada

Couch Potato

Thanks DimeStormRing.

Which leads me to my next question, in the previous episode, the Cartel says they simply need to know "Yes or No"? Is the full question: "Are you willing to work under us?"

Sarah V

Sarah V

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Parks and Rec, Community, True Blood, 30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development, Dexter, Pushing Daises.

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

I assume the message was from Mike or Tyrus. Walt didn't like it because Jesse should have told Walt that there was a meeting scheduled. Since he didn't, he was hiding it from Walt. And then when Walt asked Jesse if the message was anything important, Jesse kind of shook his head, so Walt knows Jesse's keeping secrets from him.

I was trying to pay special attention during the encore - Meeting off. Something came up. Boss is ____?

Anybody get what I missed?

ETA - yadayada

Which leads me to my next question, in the previous episode, the Cartel says they simply need to know "Yes or No"? Is the full question: "Are you willing to work under us?"

I was trying to think about what the yes or no question is, and your speculation sounds like the most plausible thing to me. But if Gus has the chemists and the distribution chain, seems like he is in a power position compared to the cartel. Sure, the cartel can wage a full-blown war against Gus, but unless they get Walt (or Jesse), they can't make their own meth.

Edited by Sarah V, Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:48 PM.

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Also, I'm not understanding the meaning of the text message. (I'm watching the encore now, but it's not there yet) Who was the message from and what did it mean? Why didn't Walt like the message?

The message was sent during/ after his face-to-face with Jesse in which Walt screamed the house down about how Jesse had to come up with an excuse, any excuse, to get close to Gus so he could kill him and Jesse reiterated the lie that he had had no opportunity to get close to Gus. The text, probably from Mike, cancelled a meeting with the boss, a meeting which Jesse had not told Walt about.

As for the flashback: I really commend the wardrobe and makeup people for making the same actor look so much younger. I seriously thought it was a different person at first. Two things I don't understand about that scene -- why kill the cook? Wouldn't he be the more valuable of the two of them? And what was Gus referring to when he said to Tio "is today the day"? That would make sense if Tio had said "someday I'll kill you" or something like that, and I was expecting him to, but he did not.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Boss is busy?

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

Saul was wearing a blue ribbon in his "Ed McMahon" scene -- is that the colour ribbon for the airplane collision? And wasn't that awhile ago in the timeline of the show? I mean, how long do you go on wearing something like that?

Speaking of which, the shots of the blood in the water, especially the first one at the start of the ep that came without benefit of backstory, reminded me really strongly of the bits of stuffed animal floating in the pool in those little fragments that started a few episodes in Season 2. I wonder if that was on purpose.

And yeah, I definitely got the vibe that there was more between Gus and his unfortunate poolside buddy than friendship or brotherly love. What did Tio mean by "you did this to him"? Don't understand that.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Wow. I've not commented about Breaking Bad before, but I've been watching all along. That was so intense. I certainly got the vibe that was Gus' boyfriend. And yes, Hector gets to suffer a more lingering painful death. Works for me. And I love Gus tormenting him.

Sarah V

Sarah V

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

Saul was wearing a blue ribbon in his "Ed McMahon" scene -- is that the colour ribbon for the airplane collision? And wasn't that awhile ago in the timeline of the show? I mean, how long do you go on wearing something like that?

Based on Saul's character, I'm sure he will be wearing that ribbon until the Statute of Limitations has run on the plane crash.

And yeah, I definitely got the vibe that there was more between Gus and his unfortunate poolside buddy than friendship or brotherly love. What did Tio mean by "you did this to him"? Don't understand that.

I thought he meant that by giving samples to Don Eladio's men and forcing the meeting, Gus caused Max's death. Definitely feel like Max and Gus are selling the meth pretty hard in the meeting. Very much in contrast to the Gus we have known up to this point.

So, is Don Eladio dead yet?

Max was cute...I don't blame Gus.

And what was Gus referring to when he said to Tio "is today the day"?

Is today the day Gus is going to kill Tio? I'm sure Tio is looking forward to death, with all the bad news Gus brings.

Edited by Sarah V, Sep 4, 2011 @ 11:03 PM.