Buffy Season 9

• Please log in to reply

237 replies to this topic

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

So unless Joss pulls something really contrived out of his ass (like revealing that the Buffybot only very recently came along and Buffy's real body is indeed still pregnant somewhere)

I think this is by far the most likely scenario. Joss likes to have his cake and eat it too so probably Simone or some other villain stole the real Buffy and when the protagonists eventually rescue her it will be too late for abortion. Heck, they might even recover the real Buffy just in time for her to give birth, so we will be spared the "boring" details of pregnancy. Or maybe the villain's actions will cause an abortion. The whole thing is recycling of the Dollhouse plots, if it turns out that personalities can not only be transferred to robotic bodies but copied too things will get even sillier. Maybe in the end there will be one Buffy for Spike, one for Angel and one for Satsu...

And with Angel's soul-gathering device, I am starting to fear they will create Robo!Giles too.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe, Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:51 PM.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Jack Shaftoe: The whole thing is recycling of the Dollhouse plots [...]

Oh, bloody hell! I forgot about "Dollhouse," and I already sent my email to the editors. Oh well, since it's your point anyway, you should just send your own letter accusing Joss of recycling his own ideas.

Jack Shaftoe: Maybe in the end there will be one Buffy for Spike, one for Angel and one for Satsu...

Well that last one doesn't sound so bad, but I'm mature enough to know that that's just my prurient interests overriding my better sense. : )

For anyone interested, here's the letter I just sent:

Scott,

My reaction to issue 9.07: Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. And not in a good way. We're told this season will be more grounded and more about the characters than the wacky plots. Until now, I thought you were mostly succeeding in keeping things a little closer to the "real" world, and there has indeed been more focus on charac...err, on Buffy and Spike. (Brief aside: Willow deserves more than a brush off, and Xander was always my least favorite of the original four, but even I'm getting annoyed at the obvious lack of interest you all have in him.) Lately, I've also defended the pregnancy/abortion storyline in online forums where other fans thought Joss was just being an attention whore. The issue is controversial but not uncommon for women Buffy's age, so I had faith that Joss would turn it into a compelling catalyst for her development, regardless of his true motives.

Now it looks like that plot will be completely eclipsed by a decidedly less realistic robot storyline that's already been done by almost every sci-fi show ever made. Which makes me think that Joss really did just want all the drama and headlines for a couple of weeks before he invented a deus ex machina to kill the abortion plot and avoid responsibility for developing it (which is metaphorically appropriate, I'll give you that). Also, I'm now having to eat crow on message boards, and I really, really hate that.

At this point, I don't see how you can salvage the narrative potential of Buffy's pregnancy without yet another contrivance. I'm assuming the "consciousness switch" took place the night of the infamous party, which means that her real body probably isn't pregnant. I want you all to know that I will keep reading for now because the good still outweighs the bad in S9. But the robot plot twist seems like something written by The Trio, not the man responsible for gems like "Becoming Part 2" and "The Body." Joss, whatever you were smoking when you dreamt this up, please just say no.

And as promised: My apologies to all of you who said Joss just wanted the headlines. You were right, and it's now obvious. I'll be choking down some crow for dinner tonight. (Note that I reserve the right to retract these statements if Joss somehow miraculously fixes this, but I don't think that very likely.)

cryyhavoc

cryyhavoc

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Dollhouse, indeed.

MF way too hard on yourself. Just remember that this is nothing new for Josh. Headline grabbing include the Satsu affair, the Space Frak, and killing poor Giles. I am definitely not surprised by this twist nor will be surprised if the pregnancy is swept under the rug.

Loved, loved your letter.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

That is such an unwelcome plot twist. I'm a patient person but I'm definitely convinced the abortion bit was a publicity stunt for Joss to say "ooooo I'm still relevant look at me!".

Grrrrr. You're losing your creativity street cred w/ me dude.

Angel & Faith is much better IMO.

Little bit (singular) of okay:
- Glad Spike is standing up for himself.

Pure crap IMO:
- Buffybot
- The threatened return of Andrew. I'm not a fan.
- Complete lack of Xander & Willow. Back to personal stories my eye.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Allie takes over from Joss and the preaching about abortion continues, never mind the latest twist: http://persephonemag...allie-part-one/

Allie:

"Also, because Joss feels, as I feel, and Sierra and I think Andrew feel, that this reality deserves to be expressed in stories. A young woman makes a choice about her life and her body.

Seriously dear writers, you just had your heroine literally lose her own body (without even noticing that, no less!) and yet you still claim this story is about her exercising her right to control said body? Are you all on drugs or something?

Oh, bloody hell! I forgot about "Dollhouse," and I already sent my email to the editors. Oh well, since it's your point anyway, you should just send your own letter accusing Joss of recycling his own ideas.

If I send all my grievances it wouldn't be a letter but a novel. :)

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Shouldn't Spike have been able to tell Buffy wasn't human? I mean, he's a vampire, right? She's supposed to have a heartbeat, and kind of smell like food to him, right? So uhhh yeah. Logic fail. Much less everything else, which I can't even with that.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:40 PM.

NicolaofEarth

NicolaofEarth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

*Yawn* Joss Whedon still cutting off his nose to spite his face several years after Buffy has ended.

Once genius and brilliant, Mr Whedon is now a sadistic, egocentric troll who gets no greater pleasure than sabotaging his own work to spite fans.

Time to wrap it up Joss, you're past your sell-by-date. *yawn*

(p.s. This is the crap SMG had to put up with in the last 2 years. She must be cackling like a witch at the comic she wipes her backside with.)

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

Sounds painful.

I really don't know what to think, is Joss just enjoying screwing with the fanbase or does he just think this is good? Does he get enough money from the comic that it's even worth his time to troll everyone when he's somehow managed to get hired on to direct a huge project like Avengers?

Edited by Perfect Xero, Mar 18, 2012 @ 2:55 AM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Just read 9.8

I so would have taken the time to keel-haul Andrew in shark infested waters. Okay, maybe after I got my body back. Andrew needs to be put on a leash as his technical skill exceeds his judgment. I'm pretty "meh" on the Buffybot story at this point because I'm pissed off at what I perceive to be a publicity stunt on the baby/abortion issue.

OTOH, Xander is ready to explode. I really want to know why. And the cop's story is starting to interest me.

BTW it sure seems to me we've got Spuffy 4 Ever in this series.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I haven't read 9.08 yet but I read 9.09. Yes, that's right, it has been leaked and I thought it was 9.08 while I read it. It was actually rather decent compared to the rest of the season. It has a lot of Xander and he even mentions Jesse! Hell just froze over. I haven't read 9.08 yet but it sounds like a bore fest. The art is decent in 9.09 but that's to be expected when Jeanty is not the one responsible for it. And yes, Andrew needs to a good beating badly. But I have known that since S6. What's amazing is that the writers still view him as a lovable rascal while even fans who like S6-9 tend to disliek the little weasel. He is the most pointless and one dimensional character in the Buffyverse and it's not even close.</p>

Edited by Jack Shaftoe, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:14 PM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

It has a lot of Xander and he even mentions Jesse! Hell just froze over.

I'm struggling to process this. Did I enter an alternate dimension? Wow.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

I'm pretty "meh" on the Buffybot story at this point because I'm pissed off at what I perceive to be a publicity stunt on the baby/abortion issue.

Tsss, silly Sue. It's not a publicity stunt : it's a deep, thoughtful feminist metaphor on how unwanted prenancy = losing control of your own body, and the right to choose abortion = regaining control of it. Girl Power !! Oh and also, men are douchebags, who think they know what's best for women, drug girls to have their way with their body, and get them "pregnant" before leaving them alone to deal with it.

............ yeah, maybe it was just a publicity stunt after all.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Oh and also, men are douchebags, who think they know what's best for women, drug girls to have their way with their body, and get them "pregnant" before leaving them alone to deal with it.

Or turn them into robots....

ztastviz

ztastviz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

It has a lot of Xander and he even mentions Jesse! Hell just froze over.

Shut... up! I don't know what's more shocking, Xander getting face time in the comic or the Jesse mention. Is this a belated April Fools thing, Mr. Shaftoe?

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

It's all true. If I were pulling your leg i would have said something really implausible like "Willow and Xander had a conversation". Now that would be crazy talk!

ztastviz

ztastviz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:32 AM

Willow/Xander interaction? Hmm. The words stretching credulity does immediately spring to mind.

Damn, I might have to pick up issue 9 if it has decent Xander centric material in it.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I read 9.08. Andrew is the most annoying character ever. But then again, I already knew that.

So Buffy just assumed it was Andrew and didn't even ask him if he was behind the robo plot before being totally mad at him and asking him what exactly he has done? Lazy plotting for the win. I mean, for all Buffy knew, it might have been just some villain who wasn't a member of the Scooby gang (amazingly enough those seem to be rarer than the people close to her who back-stab Buffy these days), why on Earth did she assume it must have been Andrew?

Allie is trolling people hard with all those letters about the pregnancy. I guess he has learned a thing or two from Joss...

Dowling told Dawn Buffy was a robot. Her reaction is literally a one-liner. That's it. Does Dawn try to call Buffy? Nope. I am not sure she even tells Xander. What the hell, Dawn? Heck, she and Xander (assuming she even told him!) are so nonchalant that when I read 9.09 I actually forgot they were supposed to even know about Robo-Buffy because they certainly aren't concerned for her in that issue either. Why even have Dowling tell them if they aren't going to do anything?

In other news, there will be two new miniseries - Spike and Willow - http://shelf-life.ew...c-spike-willow/ . Being a Willow fan, I was extremely irritated by the description of Willow's mini - basicalyl she wants magic because she has a big ego. Next you thing you know magic will become addictive again.As for Spike - I don't like Spuffy at all but those artificial obstacles they put in its way are not even worthy a fanfic.Joss is so scared of alienating the Spiffies or Bangels that in the end he will alienate both factions and the endless stringing along will bore everyone else too.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:17 AM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Spiffies

What's a Spiffie? Is that a form of Spuffy? Seriously, I don't know and I can't think of any other Spike relationship that fits.

The robot reveal to Dawn was completely bizarre. Then again he was really drunk so maybe Dawn was not sure? Then again #2, they've HAD a Robo-Buffy so I don't know.

As for going straight for Andrew, Spike said he knew his Buffy-bots. So maybe something in the wiring was a give-away that this was a Warren now Andrew model. A stretch but there.

Finally, while I totally agree the self-congratulations was pretty high in the "Slay the Crtics" there also seemed to be a slight nod to "we've yanked you around and but the next arc won't" in his final paragraph.

Although the use of spoiler tags is dubious, I'll go ahead and use them. The summary of the new series:
Spoiler

Sees like another yank-back to the left to me.

Edited by SueB, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:40 PM.

Sosa Lola

Sosa Lola

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Guys, you really need to pick up #9! The Xander stuff were awesome, especially when he mentioned Jesse!!!

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Well, I'm still subscribed so I will receive it. It'll take a while before even eight gets to me though, because I don't plan to buy it twice.

Hopefully it will be great - it worries me that Xander is
Spoiler

Spoiler

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

As for going straight for Andrew, Spike said he knew his Buffy-bots. So maybe something in the wiring was a give-away that this was a Warren now Andrew model. A stretch but there.

But that's a clumsy retcon, just as Andrew's new abilities in bot creation. How would Spike know that? He has ordered new Buffy bots in the years in which he was hiding from Buffy or what? Buffy doesn't even know that Warren is dead, IIRC. Shouldn't he be the obvious suspect? I mean, I am all for blaming Andrew in general but Buffy has trusted him for years and now she suddenly assumes it must have been him? I know the current crop of writers would rather eat their keyboards than write a research scene in the style of the early seasons but come on, that's just ridiculously lazy. Same with Buffy not calling Dawn and them missing Dawn's calls in the next issue. Heck, Dawn even had to "randomly" lose her phone. I know they want to have separate storylines and I support other characters not being all about Buffy but think of some better way. Have her call Dawn and explain the situation but refuse Dawn's help right now. Something like that.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe, Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

I stuck with the previous "season" up till the bitter end, but afterwards I felt so insulted by the book's utter crappiness I swore I wouldn't get sucked into buying the next series. Nor have I. But I still check in here from time to time, and I gotta say: Season 9 sounds even worse. I wouldn't have thought that possible. As bad, sure, but worse? I'm almost tempted to pick up a few issues out of sheer curiosity. It can't be as bad as y'all are making it sound. Except that it can, I suppose. Jesus! The above plot points just sound fucking ridiculous. Apart from anything else, it appears Warren's ability to build robots wasn't all that impressive after all, if just anybody can do it. Hell, why didn't Buffy suspect Dawn or Giles' corpse since they'd have about as much chance of constructing an actual working robot as Andrew?

Has Whedon ever mentioned anything to the effect that he's a fan of the current Dr. Who? Because this whole body-switch-with-an-unexpected-pregnancy-tossed-in routine is suspiciously similar to the plotline of the last season of Who. I didn't like it then, either.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Has Whedon ever mentioned anything to the effect that he's a fan of the current Dr. Who? Because this whole body-switch-with-an-unexpected-pregnancy-tossed-in routine is suspiciously similar to the plotline of the last season of Who. I didn't like it then, either.

Yeah, I had the same thought at first, even though it ended up being slightly different than with Amy Pond. That said, at least with Amy, it didn't came out of nowhere, and it was more or less hinted at early, way before the big reveal. Also, it wasn't hyped/discussed in the press as a huge event, the way the Buffy pregnancy & abortion were... so it doesn't even come close to the bait and switch of that Buffy storyline.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Junkyard Dog: But I still check in here from time to time, and I gotta say: Season 9 sounds even worse. I wouldn't have thought that possible. As bad, sure, but worse?

I personally don't think it's worse. That could change depending on how all this plays out, but so far I still consider it an improvement over S8, especially the end of S8.

I didn't get around to commenting here when it came out, but I really liked the last issue of A&F. It's one of my favorites so far. I have to say, it'd be interesting to see who Faith would be without the pain of her childhood. But Angel will never let that happen, since of course only he is authorized to make dramatic life-changing decisions for himself and others. (Not that I think Faith should be making such a decision in the heat of the moment, but it's not as terrible of an idea as Angel will undoubtedly make it out to be.)

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:44 AM

So glad that Willow got to be part of her own series. Well as long as it included Spike and was mostly about Spike and his journey, and Willow could be along for the ride.

Yeah, really glad.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

WedgeOfSpite: So glad that Willow got to be part of her own series. Well as long as it included Spike and was mostly about Spike and his journey, and Willow could be along for the ride.

Yeah, really glad.

They're each getting their own series.

Jack Shaftoe: In other news, there will be two new miniseries...

From the beginning of the EW article:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan favorite characters Spike and Willow will officially be getting their own respective five-issue spin-off comic book mini-series...

Spike's launches Aug 22nd, Willow's Nov 21st.

Edited by MidnightFrost, Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:23 AM.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Today is Free Comic Book Day, which unfortunately doesn't mean you can walk in and get any comic book for free (at least not at my shop). I was quite disappointed to learn that I had to pick from a small selection of comics that seem to be written specifcially for FCBD. However, there was a Buffy Season 9 issue that stands as a one-shot. It's very short and involves Buffy taking a vacation in space ("space-cation") on Spike's bug ship. No romance, thank god. I wasn't impressed with it, really. It makes a heavy-handed reference to a famous movie that I like a lot, and I'm not sure what to make of that. If anyone else picks it up, I'd be interested in hearing their thoughts. Half of the book is made up of an issue of "The Guild," and there's also a two page comic in there called "Alabaster." I haven't bothered to read those yet. [shrug] It was free...

NicolaofEarth

NicolaofEarth

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Does anybody know when the Buffy season 9 issues will be released in the U.K?
Can't find any information of its UK release online, and as much as I'm enjoying reading
the forum reviews I really want to view this atrocity first hand.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

MidnightFrost : For anyone interested, here's the letter I just sent:

Hey, what do you know, your letter was published in the issue that came out today!

Too bad the issue was boring as something really boring. Simone somehow manipulated Non-Robo!Buffy to fight Robo!Buffy but Andrew stopped them with like two words. I am not sure what exactly happened and I don't really care. There was the long awaited departure of Spike with some more "Will they or won't they" Spuffy. And the mayor of SF actually wants to create an anti-zompire task force. A bit too late but still finally some signs of sanity among government figures.

I wanted to slap Spike for saying that SF had nothing to offer to Buffy except serving coffee. Spike, I know you aren't really much of a grown-up but if Buffy goes with you what will her job be? Bug tamer? All in all, a random roadblock on the road towards Spuffy. Allie said in a recent interview that the next issues will be about Buffy having a new Scooby gang of sorts, I wonder if they have any clue what their readers want. Who on earth wants a replacement Scooby gang?

Edited by Jack Shaftoe, Jun 13, 2012 @ 5:57 PM.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

Jack Shaftoe: Hey, what do you know, your letter was published in the issue that came out today!

Gah! Figures that one of the few times I put off buying it on release day, it's the issue where they publish my letter. I'd planned on going to buy it tomorrow anyway, but now I definitely won't procrastinate again. I'm genuinely surprised (and pleased) that they chose to publish it, though.