13-25: 2011.09.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

113 replies to this topic

fredfunk

fredfunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

Did anyone else notice Jordan's lips moving when she and Rachel were in the diary room talking about their "Double Trouble" alliance? It was clearly rehearsed and written out for them. Who wrote it is questionable, but Jordan was definitely reading from something.

I must be dumb, because I did not get that at all! I wish I could see these things like others do!

Arya Snark

Arya Snark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

Did anyone else notice Jordan's lips moving when she and Rachel were in the diary room talking about their "Double Trouble" alliance? It was clearly rehearsed and written out for them. Who wrote it is questionable, but Jordan was definitely reading from something.

It was so obvious, wasn't it? Jordan was silently mouthing the words along with Rachel as she was saying them. Do they have cue cards in there or something? It would explain why Porsche sounds like a robot.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 2:55 PM

They all sound like robots this season. The DRs have got to be the worse they've ever been this year. Maybe they've just had better actors/cue card readers in the past.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

I think Rachel is a good physical competitor but not really a good strategist.

I actually never thought of Big Brother in terms of physicality until this season.

I used to think strategy was the key and moving people around with your wits (i.e Dr. Will).

That doesn't discount Rachel's style of play. She knows what her strengths are and has played accordingly (though why she'd try to terrify everyone with her crying is beyond me).

Having said that, I probably find Rachel's style of play more impressive this season than in season's past because Jordan is her partner, and she seems unable to do anything physical or mental.

I'm not sure I would have recognized Rachel's style of play for it's particular strengths in another season.

DAngelus

DAngelus

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

The stupid download site took forever to get the ep up, so I'm just going to follow-up on some other posters' comments:

"Shocker!" makes me want to punch myself in the esophagus.

I'm at the point where I'm imagining I'm hearing it as "Shock her!" and am eagerly awaiting seeing Dani being hooked up to some electrodes and getting zapped.

has there ever been a more apt metaphor in Big Brother history than Adam's likening his extended stay in the house to "hitting the snooze button"? Methinks not.

And he says it without any self-awareness at all. It's like he's spending the summer trying to prove the phrase "you snooze, you lose" wrong.

A food competition for HOH?

Well, it was a Veto comp, originally. (Week 1 of S10, with Jessie crawling through the honey and feathers to get himself off of the block.) So it's been used for all sorts of competitions now.

this competition is basically handing Rachel HoH.

Actually, it should be tailor-made for Adam. It relies on pure-bullheaded strength, not precise skill (like the snake) or the ability to support your weight (like the parachutists). Jessie won it the first time they played it, and Brendon and Lane were the stars when it was a Have/Have Not comp last season (Hayden was HoH, and didn't play). Adam had no reason to curse his not winning the last Veto (he sucked, but he had no chance anyhow), but this? If he gets smoked because Rachel is physically stronger than he is, then yes, "the only man in the house" is a huge joke.

And, look, they're fetching doughnuts! If that isn't an incentive for New Jersey's Lamest, I don't know what will be.

Another PB box? And announced ahead of time, what are the odds.

There was a double-eviction happening last week, though. Julie didn't have time to announce anything wrt this week's upcoming shows, so I don't know if the non-announcement of Pandora's Box had any particular significance. This week, we had time for a full interview with Shelly, and thus time for Julie to promote the upcoming shows. I don't see anything wrong, personally.

Julie Chen badgering Shelly over the Jeff eviction was just so over the top. "Too soon"? What? It was going into final 6 for cryin' out loud.

Meaning that there were seven players left in the house when Shelly was trying to avoid a F3 scenario. She made her move when there were more than double the number of relevant players still playing. If she'd split up J/J at F5 or F4, then she'd have pretty much isolated Jordan and been safe from retaliation. Here, there were still people for Jordan to align with, and the one she aligned with (Rachel) won the Veto and got Shelly out of the House. Ironically enough, it's the person Shelly could have evicted last week if she hadn't moved too fast, so yes, I think Julie has a perfectly good argument here. (Albeit that she might have over-emphasized the point.) You don't worry about if you can win a F3 with J/J if there are still so many players in the game that there's a significant chance that none of you three will make the F3. JMO.

I don't understand why Rachel insists on being such a bitch during her good-bye videos.

I don't know if Rachel was going for "full-on bitch" here, the way she was for Daniele's goodbye. I think she was aiming for "friendly teasing", and it was edited harsher than Rachel intended. (Which is something Rachel should have been cautious about, given how she knows she gets edited, absolutely.)

Jordan is just plain useless

Jordo better hope that Rachel wins the H.o.H. The Veto is likely to be either Otev or the Morph-o-matic, and Jordan stunk at both of them during S11.

I'd complain about the blatant recycling of the HoH competition from last season but it's become so frequent and passe that it bores me.

I need to do a comparison of how many comps last season were recycled from previous seasons, and how many this year. This season started out better than last in terms of originality, but it's been a while since "Bride of Zingbot", which was our last reasonably-fresh comp, it's true.

*cries for Porsche's/Kalia's inevitable eviction*

Hey, even if Rachel wins HoH and noms them, all they need is for Adam to win the Veto and take one of them down, forcing Rachel to nominate Jordan and then Adam and whomever he rescued can vote Jordan out.

What's that? You tuned me out when I said that the plan depended on Adam winning Veto? Yeah, can't really blame you for that. He's just an industrial-sized bowl of suck. Sheesh.

Benman

Benman

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 3:19 PM

I like that production lasted all of one episode (Wednesday's) before officially going all "Game of Death"/"Trail of the Pink Panther" in maintaining Jeff's leading-man star-of-the-show status even after his demise. I could be wrong, but don't they usually wait longer than one production episode before doing the jury house segments?

And even on a packed eviction/HoH night, it still got the better part of two acts. I can see the rest of the season playing out like some bizarre "backdoor pilot," with minimal house and game footage then 45 straight minutes of Jeff being Jeff in the jury house, kinda like when Bones and Booth clock in for about six minutes then next thing you know you're watching the Finder Power guy for an hour wondering where the hell your show went. Is Jeff that charismatic and lovable? Boston Rob I get in terms of an electric, fun character to follow over several seasons.... Evel Dick in S8 I got, Russell Hantz I get, in terms of making for electric television. This show seems to think Jeff Schroeder is like 1987 Tom Cruise and 1996 Will Smith combined in terms of mega-wattage. Like, even Brendon is more interesting.

It's also interesting and curious, as it was in the game, how Brendon is this chill, smart, self-deprecating normal guy around Danielle, as opposed to an amped-up neurotic babysitting weirdo as he is around his fiancee.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

You can pinpoint Shelly's demise to the Pandora's Box.

If she'd split up J/J at F5 or F4, then she'd have pretty much isolated Jordan and been safe from retaliation. Here, there were still people for Jordan to align with, and the one she aligned with (Rachel) won the Veto and got Shelly out of the House. Ironically enough, it's the person Shelly could have evicted last week if she hadn't moved too fast, so yes, I think Julie has a perfectly good argument here.

Exactly. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, but Shelly is out. Period. Julie's questions are pertinent to Shelly being out, and the fact that she quite probably would NOT have been out (at that moment, anyway) if she hadn't turned on Jeff and Jordan. She would have evicted Rachel instead, who wouldn't have won the Veto. The entire week would have played out differently for everyone involved. Let's assume Porsche had still won HoH and nominated Jeff and Jordan instead of Jordan and Rachel. And let's assume Porsche still would have opened Pandora's Box, and Jordan would have been teamed with Jeff instead of Rachel. Who was second to last to drop in the Veto comp? It was Kalia. We don't know how long Jeff would have lasted. Kalia could have won that and kept the nominations the same, keeping Shelly safe. Even if Jeff won and Adam and Shelly went on the block, Shelly would have had a better chance to stay over Adam if she hadn't turned on Jeff and Jordan.

I like that production lasted all of one episode (Wednesday's) before officially going all "Game of Death"/"Trail of the Pink Panther" in maintaining Jeff's leading-man star-of-the-show status even after his demise. I could be wrong, but don't they usually wait longer than one production episode before doing the jury house segments?

No. It's always the second live show after the first juror eviction. If last week hadn't been the double elimination round, we would have just seen Daniele entering the juror house.

Catronia

Catronia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

I am so glad Shelly's gone. I find her completely loathesome and ridiculous. I thought she played a very good game of the lying, scheming, backstabbing variety, and might have done well if not for some unfortunate twists, but can't respect or like her at all because she won't own that gameplay. Instead, she cries and wails about how she has so much integrity and "did so much" for her alliance (I honestly just don't understand this), and how her alliance can't expect her not to explore other options (isn't that what an alliance IS? NOT exploring other options until the alliance expires?) Then, rather grotesquely, after she voted Jeff out, she sobbed and sobbed about how painful it was for her. Dude, then don't do it. And, since you did do it, man up and deal with it. UGH. SO glad she's gone.

On the other hand, I don't really agree with this:

I'm all for people wanting to win the money, and I have no doubt Shelly's family is the most important thing in her life. But she lives in about a million dollar house, owns a half million dollar ring that was a gift (and that's the only two possessions of her's we even are privy to so who knows how far it goes), and has a stay-at-home-dad husband.

I don't remember when it was said that she has a million-dollar house? This isn't sarcastic, because I often get bored during the show and start paying bills or something, so if they said that, remind me? Or if this is established information from another source?

There aren't lots of million-dollar houses in LA, outside of the nicest parts of New Orleans. (Though Shelly may have one of them -- I don't know, and I don't know where she lives.) In some of the other LA cities 2-300K can buy a big, beautiful old waterfront house. And that ring is in no way a 500K ring, even if real. Depending on the quality of the stones (and assumption of a 2 carat center stone -- it certainly wasn't bigger than that), that's about a 30-60K ring (could be cheaper, with really crappy stones). I think Rachel thought it was real diamonds when she said it was no 500K ring, and she was right.

As far as I can tell, Shelly and her family aren't necessarily rich with a bunch of money sitting around. Seems to me they are more likely comfortable, maybe with some savings, living off her income. 500K could mean a lot to them, providing for their child's college tuition or for a retirement fund for Shelly and her husband. I think Shelly's as entitled to the money as anyone. She's not Bill Gates.

Edited by Catronia, Sep 2, 2011 @ 4:26 PM.

HawtMess

HawtMess

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 4:53 PM

Shelly didn't play a very good game of lying and scheming when she was caught red handed by the whole house at one point or another and they didn't let her get away with it like they did Dr Will in S2. It is like saying Ronnie played a good game because he lied and schemed all the time.

I only give credit when their method works, but if like in Shelly and Ronnie's cases, their eviction is the direct result of their schemes then I simply chalk it up to terrible gameplay.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

I only give credit when their method works, but if like in Shelly and Ronnie's cases, their eviction is the direct result of their schemes then I simply chalk it up to terrible gameplay.

The way I look at it, Shelly's eviction was almost entirely a direct result of the PB twist.

If Shelly had kept Jeff, she still probably would've been voted out sooner rather than later anyway because J/J really never had any intention of keeping her 'til the end.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 5:00 PM

I was just guessing $1M house based on seeing it, but I didn't know she lived in Lousiana. It was a high end house. I'm not saying she's not entitled to play for the money. Just that I'm not buying her Mother of the Year act.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 6:10 PM

I'm all for people wanting to win the money, and I have no doubt Shelly's family is the most important thing in her life. But she lives in about a million dollar house, owns a half million dollar ring that was a gift (and that's the only two possessions of her's we even are privy to so who knows how far it goes), and has a stay-at-home-dad husband. I'm just not buying what she's selling with her "my family's all that matters" pitch.

Catronia summed up most of my reply to this about the house and the ring, but just to add. Tony isn't a stay-at-home-dad. He cleans pools and from what I know (which isn't much) has a pretty sucessful business and a good number of clients. So while Shelly does make the most money, Tony's not sitting around enjoying it. He's also working.

But in the end, I still remain of the opinion that going on Big Brother for a summer doesn't disqualify someone from being a good parent or mean that their family isn't their first priority. I don't know enough about Shelly to know for sure where her priorities lie, but I've certainly seen nothing thus far on BB to disprove, for me at least, that she puts her family first.

unspeakable

unspeakable

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 6:52 PM

But it wasn't in Shelly's case. The proximate cause of her eviction was the Pandora's Box twist that was unforeseeable by her. But for that twist, she would be in a 4-1 alliance, i.e., final four. I do agree that respect (for gameplay) is reduced by her failure to own it, at least so far as what was shown on air.

concernednana

concernednana

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

I am glad Shelly is gone. She was the biggest liar in the house but was not as good at it as she thought. They all realized it before she left. She was not likeable enouigh to get away with it.

That is where Dr Will had them all beat. He wore a shirt that said
"I am probably lying" He laughed and said he hated them all. He was put up week after week and laughed it off. He won the game, because they all liked him.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 7:47 PM

I think Shelly is a con-man through and through.

I agree. Even with Chen, she had all the right answers to look good. And when Shelly lies she believes her own lies.

I think she’s been to a few employee-handling training sessions as well. She tries to defuse situations, because she’s got some of the corporate-speak down (acknowledging others’s feelings and positions, etc.) but not the feelings behind it.

I was glad that they showed her lying to Rachel about the number of comps she threw. I’m not sure if that was deliberate or if she just forgot, but I’ve never heard her acknowledge that winning an HoH would have been fatal to the game strategy she’d been using. Once she declared a side, as she would have had to do as an HoH, she would have had a much tougher time playing both sides of the house against each other.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

I think Shelly knows how to handle people - she didn't get to be an upper level executive in an industry that is almost exclusively male without some people managing/manipulating skills. Playing to Jeff [and Jordan's] ego constantly worked for long time. Same with the motherly advice thing, etc.

If she was ever going to split J/J up it HAD to be at the DE like she explained to Chen. Imonrey made some good points but I think Shelly's out because of the PB twist more than anything. And leaving J/J intact meant she would never win.

I think Shelly's as entitled to the money as anyone.

Exactly. BB isn't a charity. I mean one of the best known winners is a Beverly Hills dermatologist.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Tony isn't a stay-at-home-dad. He cleans pools and from what I know (which isn't much) has a pretty sucessful business and a good number of clients.

Really? I thought for sure the show itself called him a stay-at-home dad. I suppose they could despite that he runs a home-based business.

mzladymac

mzladymac

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Tony was a stay-at-home-dad when Josie was a baby.

bfan

bfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

Grodner tweeted that Rachel was not happy with Jordan's comments about Rachel tonight (which upset me as well, and came off extremely rude and unappreciative) and that they fought during the commercial break. Seriously, does Jordan not realize she'd be gone now if not for Rachel doing all the work? Would it kill her to smile?

I wondered if they hadn't prepared her that a question of that kind was coming. Her response was like she was on meds - "I can't think or speak at all and I certainly can't focus on complimenting someone I need in this game". I've like Jordan but that was the lamest ever.

Edited by bfan, Sep 2, 2011 @ 11:02 PM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

But it wasn't in Shelly's case. The proximate cause of her eviction was the Pandora's Box twist that was unforeseeable by her. But for that twist, she would be in a 4-1 alliance, i.e., final four.

But - everything in BB is unforeseeable. What if Rachel had won HoH instead of Porshe, and what if there were no Pandora's Box? Rachel could surely have nominated Shelly and Shelly would still have been out the door, PB or no PB. Because she flipped. I don't see how PB is exclusively or even mostly the cause of Shelly getting evicted. Shelly is the cause of Shelly getting evicted. She took a big gamble, and it didn't pay off. There were any number of ways it could have paid off, and there were any number of ways it wouldn't pay off. But ultimately it was that gamble that sent her out the door this week, not PB. If the entire week had played out exactly the same but with the one exception that Shelly had sent Rachel home instead off Jeff, Shelly would still be in the house right now, PB or not.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 1:55 PM

I think Shelly knows how to handle people - she didn't get to be an upper level executive in an industry that is almost exclusively male without some people managing/manipulating skills.

There are over-reactive, drama queen, and bullying jerks in many highest level executive positions in worldwide industries. I can see Shelly fitting right in.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

But - everything in BB is unforeseeable. What if Rachel had won HoH instead of Porshe, and what if there were no Pandora's Box? Rachel could surely have nominated Shelly and Shelly would still have been out the door, PB or no PB. Because she flipped.

I think Shelly would have survived the week had Rachel won HoH. I'd imagine that hot on the heels of a Kalia HoH/Porsche Veto, those would be the two going up. Those two have shown real skill in competitions and Shelly couldn't win a competition if it was a sit on the couch and smoke comp. Even the debates for reasons to keep Shelly was that a) she couldn't win anything and b) they already knew she couldn't be trusted. I'm inclined to think that if Rachel had won HoH (and opened PB, which I'm sure she would have. They always open PB.), it would have been the duo of Kalia and Porsche on the block and one of them out. Why waste your noms on a Shelly/Adam pair when the two votes controling the eviction would be Kalia and Porsche? They would evict Adam.

If there were no PB, would she still waste her HoH on a weak player rather than evicting a strong competetor in Kalia or Porsche? It would be a dumb move and Rachel has been playing a pretty smart game this year. I doubt she would try to avenge Jeff at the cost of her own game.

The only thing that made Shelly's eviction a foregone conclusion this week was Pandora's.... or Jordan winning HoH. So just Pandora's.

Edited by whitless256, Sep 3, 2011 @ 2:00 PM.

Jana

Jana

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 9:33 PM

Wow! It took me until yesterday to see it because Thursday nights are always busy for me, so as always, a lot that I was thinking has been said.

Go Rachel! And I mean to the end of this game. I never thought I'd ever say those words. Hate Kalia, hate Porscha, hate the lump and, Jourdo, you already one this game and Rachel has been playing her ass off. Team Rachel!!!!!

It's.... lonely here.

Bc1795, let me pull up a chair. I started rooting for Rachel a few weeks ago at some point; I was surprised to note that as I watched the DE, I was hopeful that The Soulpatch would be evicted rather than her. She's taken advantage of every twist, and I certainly can't fault her for that. Whereas her primary alliance member hasn't because she can't stand pain (or whatever it was.) Well, I'd say that very few truly like pain, but it all depends on how much you want something--and Rachel wants this. That's what I appreciate. I know that she may fake cry, play to the cameras or whatever, but without Brendon there, she's much, much more likeable.

If she was ever going to split J/J up it HAD to be at the DE like she explained to Chen.

I agree, but for someone so slick, I think there was probably a better way to doing so. I honestly believe that Jordan was more upset at being completely snowed by someone she trusted and confided in than in losing Jeff for a couple of weeks (at the most).

. . .and Shelly couldn't win a competition if it was a sit on the couch and smoke comp.
\

Well, I don't know about that. That one sounds tailored to her; it would be between Shelly and Adam, and honestly, I don't think I could predict a winner. I suppose that they'd both throw it, though.

It's also interesting and curious, as it was in the game, how Brendon is this chill, smart, self-deprecating normal guy around Danielle, as opposed to an amped-up neurotic babysitting weirdo as he is around his fiancee.

I'm honestly hoping, for Rachel's sake, that Brendon is the "chill, smart, self-deprecating normal guy" away from the game. I don't get someone falling in love with the overbearing guy shown on the show.

I am so glad I don't have to look at her anymore. Did you all notice she never crosses her legs?

A hundred percent times, yes! I first noticed it during the live show a few weeks ago when she was on the block. It's gross! But that said, this week, if the viewer did not have inside information and did not notice that completely obvious way TPTB were trying to add suspense, the clothing of Adam and Shelly did not give anything away. (I found that a little curious; why not dress up, Shelly? I wonder if she thought she was going to stay and was dressed for the upcoming HOH. Or if it was a directive from production.)

Go, Rachel!

unspeakable

unspeakable

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

But - everything in BB is unforeseeable. What if Rachel had won HoH instead of Porshe, and what if there were no Pandora's Box? Rachel could surely have nominated Shelly and Shelly would still have been out the door, PB or no PB. Because she flipped.

Sure, but if Rachel had won HOH, only Jordan would have been a vote deadset against Shelly. The power would have still been with Shelly's own alliance to decide who went home. After her flip, she was in a 4-2 alliance (Kalia, Porshe, Adam, Shelly), notwithstanding who won HOH. Had she not flipped, she would have also been in a 4-2 alliance (Jordan, Jeff, Adam, Shelly). It was a good game decision, because the 4-2 alliance she chose was with players against whom she stood a better chance of making final 2. Obviously, nobody is ever safe, so to say that her safety wasn't guaranteed after the flip isn't an argument against the move she made. I don't see any persuasive argument that, based on the knowledge at hand, it was a bad move.