Val Chmerkovskiy: Also From Ukraine with Love

• Please log in to reply

200 replies to this topic

StayClassySD

StayClassySD

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

I couldn't think of a clever title for Maks' younger brother. I have enjoyed seeing him dance on the show on results shows since the first time he appeared during season 4 and did a "dance off" with Maks. I'm stoked to see him as a pro and hopefully Elisabetta has some rhythm and they do well!

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

Is his name misspelled?

Daisy80

Daisy80

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 1:53 PM

Nope, it's spelled correctly. I can't wait to see him with her either. I'm sure it will be hot!

lovemaks

lovemaks

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:13 PM

Maks is my favorite but I hope Val gets some of his own fans. Great dancer and easy on the eyes.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 5:30 PM

I couldn't think of a clever title for Maks' younger brother.

How about: Val Chmerkovskiy, Maks' little brother?

ktsee

ktsee

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

I'm excited that they brought Val on! I know people are resistant to new pros replacing dancers who are clearly still interested in being on the show, but I think it's a good move. Maks and Derek in particular seem interested in moving on, and the popular pros are a big draw and get the show a LOT of attention during the off seasons. Val seems like he'd be at the top of their list even without the relation to Maks, he is one of the top Latin dancers in the world, young,charismatic, good looking, engish speaking etc. The side-show family competition dynamic is an added bonus.

I don't think he's going to be too Maks-like in the rehearsal packages/ interviews. He's obviously much younger and seems more laid back and less emotional, although I suppose we'll have to wait and see how he comes across once the show starts. He has started tweeting in correctly spelled and coherent English in the past week, so I'm thinking the PR lessons may have started, which is definitely a good thing.

He does move a lot like Maks, but I think I like his dancing better. Maybe it's just that he is so much smaller, but he is very quick and natural and a lot of fun to watch.

Hopefully we get a chance to get to know him and he and Elisabetta (the only who? of the season for me) don't get the boot after week 1.

I do think that out of Val, Peta and Tristan, Val's got the least to prove and that we'll be seeing him next season regardless of how far they make it.

Edited by ktsee, Aug 31, 2011 @ 5:39 PM.

Visan

Visan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

Glad baby bro is on DWTS! He'll def bring freshness and the pretty!

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

He has started tweeting in correctly spelled and coherent English in the past week, so I'm thinking the PR lessons may have started, which is definitely a good thing.

Thank God, because he has sounded like a baby gangsta on his Twitter until now. I'm really interested in seeing how he teaches.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 1:53 AM

He tweeted a pic of Elisabetta on his twitter. I'm really looking forward to them. We need a sexy pair. I think they'll do quite well!

Style wise, I reckon he'll be a cross between Maks and Derek. That's my guess.

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:33 AM

He has started tweeting in correctly spelled and coherent English in the past week, so I'm thinking the PR lessons may have started, which is definitely a good thing.

Thank God, because he has sounded like a baby gangsta on his Twitter until now. I'm really interested in seeing how he teaches.

Wow, yeah, huge difference in his tweets. If you scroll down just about a week, he's still using the pidgin English crap as above, then suddenly he sounds like an English teacher!! I especially like the one where he says (paraphrasing) "I apologize to all the people who were tricked into following me (Maks had a major campaign going) ... now I'm going to have to be entertaining"!! Cute.

I'm interested to see if the jerky thug persona that some of us have already come to associate w/ Val was just a put on for his peeps (snerf) and attempted rap career, and if it's hopefully going to turn out that Mama Chmerkovskiy raised 2 gentlemen after all.

Edit: I'm wondering about something I've come up w/ for a thread title, but I'm going to qualify it by saying that I'll fully understand if it's found to be too offensive, since it's making it obvious that some of us are objectifying these men, and women have been trying for decades to get men to stop objectifying them. Also, it only works if you remember an advertising campaign from a few years back trying to get people to eat pork. Anyway (ducks head w/ some shame and defensiveness and to avoid flying objects), having said all that, my warped sense of humour thinks it's funny ... Val Chmerkovskiy: The Other White Meat

Edited by dely, Sep 3, 2011 @ 10:02 AM.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

dely,
That does sound offensive, imo.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

Eiisabetta had the right idea. Dump Clooney, and gain a Chmerkovskiy.

lovemaks

lovemaks

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 7:27 AM

Dely,

I think it is very funny. It is just a play on words. Send a tweet to Val and ask if he would be offended. If not, go for it.

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 12:53 PM

I'm not on Twitter, so I think I'll let the mods decide. I can really see both points of view, but I do have a kinda warped sense of humour and just think, as lovemaks says, it's a play on words that points out they're two hot brothers and some might prefer this new fella who's now being highlighted (beyond a few results show dances), for our consideration: The Other (hot Chmerkovsiky).

If people find it offensive though, I'm not going to fuss. Different strokes. I'm sure someone will come up w/ something clever.

ETA: also, as I'd mentioned in my post, some younger fans may not remember the advertising campaign from which I stole the "slogan", and if they don't, there's even more chance they'll see it as offensive rather than funny. The ad campaign ran on TV and in magazines for quite a long time, and it was trying to get people to see Pork as a meat to choose more for every day meals. "Pork: The Other White Meat", was the slogan, and it was referring to Chicken as being the white meat people would more often choose. Ehn, really, if it has to be explained, it loses the funny. Oh well, I made myself and lovemaks laugh!

Edited by dely, Sep 4, 2011 @ 12:58 PM.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

I well remember the ad campaign, but it kinda makes me wince anyway. Sorry!

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

I'm not using that slogan. I get the reference but it's kind of gross with the double entendre. I have a hard enough time asking people not to talk about Maks's buns or whatever -- I don't want to encourage more of it. Thanks.

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

Serendi, no need to say "Sorry"! Like I said, different strokes. I knew I was going out on a limb because it is very clearly about objectifying these two men, and some people would feel that was wrong.

Topic! ... I was shocked when I saw the rehersal pics (posted in the Media thread). I was clicking through quickly; "not interested, not interested, Oh, here's Maks", and it wasn't, it was Val!

I've seen the two of them pictured together many times, and never really thought they looked much alike, although there's an indefinable something imo, that marks them as brothers. When I saw this pic though I was shocked that at 1st glance I actually thought Val was Maks. The picture is in profile and full head to toe of both dancers, so obviously not close on their faces. I also think that Elisabetta, from a bit of a distance, is going to be hard to tell from Hope; both are tall and slender w/ long brown hair. Anyway, Val was wearing his hair spiked like Maks, and I just had that quick moment of seeing the wrong guy (clarifying: nothing "wrong" w/ Val, just thought it was Maks)!

I wonder how much alike, visually, the two couples are going to look on the dance floor. I'm also interested to see if Val's training style is much like Maks', since he was trained by Maks.

Has anyone ever heard that Val does much instruction in the family studios? I haven't, and would think that w/ him still competing till just a few weeks ago, his focus would have been largely on his competitive career rather than working in the family business.

Edit: typing as the mod was - just to say, eww, wasn't intending any double entendre - just that they're both hot, like beefcake? but anything else, no! Sorry if that's how people were taking it!!, and sorry to Val & Maks.

Edited by dely, Sep 5, 2011 @ 10:42 PM.

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

Got it!! Val Chmerkovskiy: T8kn it 2 da Flr ... minus objectifying ... plus personalizing
(double posting since it's been more than a day)

Edited by dely, Sep 5, 2011 @ 10:41 PM.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 6:34 PM

Val Chmerkovskiy: Yeah, It's in the Jeans

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

How about "Val Chmerkovskiy - I'm da other Brother" for a title?

I've wondered if Maks is grooming Val to take his spot on dwts. That way there's still someone representing the family and Maks could focus on the family dance studio?

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 6, 2011 @ 10:22 PM.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

How about "Val Chmerkovskiy - I'm da other Brother" for a title?

Love it. I'd even shorten it a bit to say: "Val Chmerkovskiy - da other Bro" or "Val Chmerkovskiy - I'm da other Bro".

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:27 PM

I don't know if it was just the pic, but it looks like his eyes are quite close set, not like Maks. I've watched Val dance, but I guess I haven't seen closeups. Kinda like with Tristan, watched him with the Troupe, but never saw his face until now.

ktsee

ktsee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:11 PM

I don't know if it was just the pic, but it looks like his eyes are quite close set, not like Maks. I've watched Val dance, but I guess I haven't seen closeups.

I think he is just not nearly as photogenic, he seems to vary quite a bit from pic to pic. I think moving video does him a lot more justice (plus then you get to hear his voice, which is possibly the most attractive thing about him ha). I've heard a lot of people saying how much he looks like Maks and besides them both being hot I don't see it either. Teddy from the troupe looks more like Maks than Val does.

Here is a video of Val and Elisabetta being interviewed in the studio the other day. He seems very intent on doing a good job for her, and I think they are sweet together and clearly holding no illusions about fanbases.

Edited by ktsee, Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:14 PM.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 10:45 AM

After the whole Chaz "controversy", the new one seems a bit bland, no?

Elisabetta Canalis Reacts To Having Her Tattoos Edited From ‘Dancing’ Cast Shot

A source close to the situation told Access Hollywood that the photos were uploaded by mistake and the matter has since been corrected.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

Video > (Access Hollywood) DwtS S13: Val Chmerkovskiy : Part I : Part II

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

Yes, video does him much more justice than those still photos. Also the pictures with Maks show a lot of difference between the two - they don't look alike. And Val is a cutie pie. I am eager to see him on the show.

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

Have y'all seen pics of their dad? Val is the SPITTING IMAGE of their dad: coloring, face shape, build.

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

catgyrl, oh my God yes. Val is the spitting image of their dad. Maks looks more like their mother, but Val is ALL dad.

For those of you who have never seen Mr and Mrs Chmerkovskiy:

Maks and Val with their parents

Maks and Val's dad - Sasha - by himself. Picture from the Dance With Me website

Edited by fridayschild713, Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:10 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 12:08 AM

TooFab interview with Val.

Poetist

Poetist

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 3:42 AM

Ahhh... Maks and Val's dad loss his hair.