Tristan MacManus: His Irish Eyes Are Smiling

• Please log in to reply

1619 replies to this topic

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

From Sharna Burgess

This has me even more excited than the trio thing. I love me some Sharna, and hope she's partnering Tristan in this...

I ended up really loving Gladys and Tristan's partnership, but if I could have picked a partner for Tristan before the season started it would have been Katherine.

I adored their partnership, and I would not have wanted anything preventing us (and him) from having that joyful experience this year. But, if truth be told, I think stylistically, Tristan would have been a better partner for Katherine - Mark has made the ajustment, but Tristan's pure, classic style of choreography and dance would have suited Kat's style to a T.

From Mark's Twitter:

Just asked tristan why he dosnt have twitter and he said "can't be bothered. Don't need people tellin me I'm a dick head on twitter, I already know that"... Ha ha #bestanswerever

Kinda love that answer :P

Edited by Twickenham, May 4, 2012 @ 8:23 AM.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

I actually love that answer a whole lot more than his usual "I couldn't possibly respond to everyone and I don't want to be rude." It's likely both statements are true for him, but the reality is you don't have to respond to everyone (in fact, trolls and stalkers are better ignored) but you will be subjected to people calling you a dick head.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Confirmation that Tristan is working with Katherine and Mark on the "trio" thing (cha cha). Yay!

http://www.usatoday....llas/54757414/1

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

On second thought, never mind. Nothing to see here, folks -- sorry!

Edited by legaleagle44, May 4, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I think the 'lucky pot of gold' reference is the giveaway. Besides, per his tweet last night, Mark was with Tristan, so I'm thinking it was at rehearsal.

ETA: LOL legaleagle44!

Edited by Twickenham, May 4, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

The only hint he gives is that the "mystery pro" hasn't signed up for Twitter yet.

He also implies that their chosen pro is Irish. And Mark has tweeted about Tristan not having a Twitter several times that I can recall. Even joked a while back that they needed to start a petition to get him on there. I'm aware that one is in his name, but he never uses it, so it's basically the same as not having one at all.

They also get along really well (I like this cute, albeit stalker-ish, video). I'll be surprised if it's not Tristan.

Edited by whyistherumgone, May 4, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

BrisaTropical

BrisaTropical

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

Courtesy of Mark Ballas

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Courtesy of Mark Ballas

Mark is Scouse?

Man, first Maks, now Tristan... I've got to start hangin' at Fratelli's... :P

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Tristan looks lovely, Mark looks like an idiot. What else is new.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Aw, I like the way they both look. If Mark would just grow his hair out, I think I'd be a fan again, lol. His face just doesn't support the buzz cut or whatever you call it. Yuck.

Anyway, Mark's mother is from Liverpool. Is that Scouse? I don't think Mark ever lived there but his grandmother (mother's mother) did a lot of the raising of him, Derek and Julianne in London, when they went to Italia Conti, because Mark's parents were gone a lot.

Great to see them hanging out together. I'm really really happy about this trio dance thing. You know, so far, since Tristan started, he's never missed a whole week of DWTS. Well, maybe there was one during his troupe time - not sure. But since he started with Nancy - the one week they weren't on the show, he had a pro number with Sonny Pederson, Sharna and Kym. And so far this year, since he and Gladys were ousted, he had the "Dark Waltz" with Karina last week and now the trio.

I'm happy about that, but worried about this "all star" thing. It is what it is, I guess. :)

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Aw, I like the way they both look. If Mark would just grow his hair out, I think I'd be a fan again, lol.

I actually like Mark's buzzcut. When his hair is longer, he looks too much like Corky...

Tristan just has the loveliest smile... ever.

Anyway, Mark's mother is from Liverpool. Is that Scouse?

Yes, Scouse=Liverpudlian. Didn't realize Shirley was from there.

Great to see them hanging out together. I'm really really happy about this trio dance thing. You know, so far, since Tristan started, he's never missed a whole week of DWTS.

I'd have to go back and check to be sure, but as the troupe was on pretty much every results show in S12, I would say that you're right.

I actually kind of love me some Mark-Tristan too... Somehow, Mark is waay less douche when he's hangin' with Tristan... :P

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Well, maybe you're right and I've just gone off Mark. But back when I was a huge fan, he had longer hair and I've just chalked it up to that being the change that bugs me. But I might feel no different with the curls back. The propping irks, with both him and Derek, maybe that's it.

And studying Wikipedia, because I'm just that OCD, it looks like Tristan may not have appeared during Season 12 on the weeks of May 3 and May 10, but I don't have them on my dvr anymore so I can't make sure. The troupe didn't dance on the first week but they were in the audience and introduced by Tom so I think that counts.

I agree Mark and Tristan are fun together - I loved that radio interview they did in Minnesota. I also wonder who sets up the off-season appearances - did ABC send Tristan, Peta, Mark and Karina to Minnesota, or did one or more of those dancers arrange it? Did Lacey or Tristan arrange their workshops and involvement with the show in Florida - or was that DWTS? I'm assuming the dancers or their managers do that - and if so, maybe friendships or preferences are involved in which dancers do these events together?

Now that I think of it, Tristan said he had some meetings in NYC to set up some events in January, back when he stayed in the US a few weeks after his season with Nancy was over. That makes me think DWTS wasn't involved. And Julianne said that the first outside interest in her when she was on DWTS was getting invitations to make appearances, like these things Tristan and others are doing. In her case, it eventually led to film offers.

Anyway, I hope it's true what I read on another messageboard that Tristan and Karina will be in Cleveland on June 16 doing a show - they fit together very well, in looks and style, imo. I like her with Tristan much more than when she dances with Louis, and Maks - uh, I think the latter is not gonna happen again, and anyway, he's a bit too big for her and maybe a bit too self-centered as a dancer - she's so exquisite and Tristan doesn't over-dance as much as Maks does - at least that's how I see it. Derek is too boyish looking for her, and she's 5'5" so Mark is too short. Yep, I think only Tristan is just right :)

Edited by Elsa, May 7, 2012 @ 1:44 AM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

and Tristan doesn't over-dance as much as Maks does

I will freely admit that I know nothing about dancing, but there is something that bugs me about Maks, Val and especially Louis when they dance and I think this is it. To me, their movements seem too...fussy? Pretentious? Maybe those aren't the right words, but they come close to what I mean. One of the reasons I enjoy watching Tristan dance so much is that he doesn't seem to try so hard to call attention to himself. Which makes him so very, very attractive.

There's this too, of course.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

avecsans

I will freely admit that I know nothing about dancing, but there is something that bugs me about Maks, Val and especially Louis when they dance and I think this is it. To me, their movements seem too...fussy? Pretentious? Maybe those aren't the right words, but they come close to what I mean.

I know what you mean. (By the way, love your screen name.)

I know nothing about dancing, either, but Maks, Val and Louis strike me as too sharp and precise. Their lines are beautiful -- Maks especially, since he's so tall -- but their dancing seems...forced? unnatural? unattainable even? Maybe that's how it is in world-class competitions, but in an entertainment "competition", it kind of takes you out of the moment. Tristan, Derek, and on his least spazzy days, Mark all make it look easy and natural. Their dancing draws you in to the dance as a whole, rather than just making you see a bunch of moves.

Well, yeah. He seems to be a genuinely sweet and happy person, which greatly adds to the appeal.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

You know, I don't really enjoy watching the pro competitions that Dancesport has. Extreme speed, sharpness, showing off the technical moves but to my untrained eye, it doesn't look very appealing. They over-exaggerate to show off, and if you saw something like that at a local dance or something, I think most people would go "ewwww."

BTW, when is the last time Maks was even in a pro number, other than the show's opening and closing? It just occurred to me that it's been a while since I've seen Maks in a pro number that isn't a big group thing. Maybe he's toned himself down. I could live without ever seeing Louis in one again - he's just not attractive to me, and he's tiny, and getting older. I don't care for Tony much either. Guess I'm ageist, ahem.

It relates to Tristan inasmuch as, unlike Maks, Mark or even Derek, they've made sure to feature him in TWO sultry rumbas and the Dark Waltz, getting maximum exposure in one-couple pas de deux type numbers, even while he's in the comp, and I hope that means they're invested in his continuing success. It's almost like they want to make a point to emphasize how sexy he can be - but maybe that's just because his two partners have been older women. And they've also featured sexy photos of him as the show's promo pictures two seasons in a row, with Kym.

Oh well, we'll just have to see what happens next season. I over-analyze too much. Just going by the featured pro numbers, you'd have to think Louis and Dmitry were shoo-ins next time.

Edited by Elsa, May 7, 2012 @ 8:28 AM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I know what you mean. (By the way, love your screen name.)

Thank you, designing1!

Maks, Val and Louis strike me as too sharp and precise. Their lines are beautiful -- Maks especially, since he's so tall -- but their dancing seems...forced? unnatural? unattainable even? Maybe that's how it is in world-class competitions, but in an entertainment "competition", it kind of takes you out of the moment. Tristan, Derek, and on his least spazzy days, Mark all make it look easy and natural. Their dancing draws you in to the dance as a whole, rather than just making you see a bunch of moves.

Yes. This is what I meant. I've never watched a real dancing competition, but the way those three dance on dwts seems to be more about how talented they are instead of how they can make their partners look good. Can that be why they have not one mirrorball trophy among them?

I could live without ever seeing Louis in one again

Agreed.

It's almost like they want to make a point to emphasize how sexy he can be - but maybe that's just because his two partners have been older women.

Good point.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Please try to stay on topic. If you want to discuss whether or not you like other pros, they each have their own thread. If you want to compare various pros, there's a thread for that too. Thanks.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I thought the cha cha tonight was fantastic. Tristan and Katherine looked so great together. Katherine seemed much more relaxed and happy during the cha cha rehearsals than she did practicing the Viennese Waltz. I was so glad that Tristan finally got some 10s. Very well deserved. And Mark was a little more palatable. Must be the Tristan effect!

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Tristan in handcuffs. Nuff said.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

Heh. Apparently it took them 15 minutes to find the key to those handcuffs. Wonder who hid it? :P

I cannot tell you how much I loved that cha cha. LOVED. The whole concept, the choreo, the dancing... for me, it was the trio with the most intricate use of the three-dancer dynamic, with the best transitions.

Katherine seemed much more relaxed and happy during the cha cha rehearsals than she did practicing the Viennese Waltz.

Agreed. I found it interesting how Mark let Tristan do a lot of the teaching, apparently without issue. No tension or ego. And Kat really just let loose. She even handled the pantleg mishap really well. Per his EW blog, Tristan was trying to see if there was a way he could get it off, but she figured it out.

Yeah, I want Tristan to get a Katherine next season.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

Who knew that there IS way to get me to like a Ballas -- add some Tristan. I thought the whole number was terrific.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Tristan in handcuffs. Nuff said.

Seriously. If you got me within five feet of Tristan and some handcuffs, they wouldn't find that key for weeks.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

In the Week 8 confessionals, Katherine and Mark are the only ones who brought in their trio partner, Tristan :)

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

They were probably still handcuffed together. :)

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:51 AM

They were probably still handcuffed together. :)

Ha! I thought the same thing. Lucky Mark!

The results show suffered from its lack of Tristan. (And from Chris Brown's appearance.) I like Katherine and am rooting for a Katherine and Donald final two. I am really glad she didn't go out on the week she danced with Tristan.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Tristan answers fan questions:

Video

Written

Different questions in each.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

In the Week 8 confessionals, Katherine and Mark are the only ones who brought in their trio partner, Tristan :)

No, Melissa was sitting between Val and Maks in her post-Samba confession.

Tristan and Mark weren't in handcuffs anymore. But I'm not surprised he was there--who wouldn't want to extend the Tristan Time?

Edited by oakgal, May 9, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

No, Melissa was sitting between Val and Maks in her post-Samba confession.

You're right - I realized that afterwards (and that's probably a reflection of the impression - or lack of - that Val has made on DWTS, but that's for another thread...).

But I do think it speaks to the comfort level that they showed as a team. Even trying (and I do try) not to look at the situation through Tristan-coloured glasses, they seemed to form the closest of the teams. The others seemed to be a little too "smiley-aren't-we-having-fun!", whereas 2 Celts-and-a-Scouse seemed to truly be working together, not only in rehearsal, but in the dance.

I kind of want more 2 Celts-and-a-Scouse, please.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:57 AM

I just watched the first minute of that dance junkies interview and it really irritated me. Why is this Twitter thing such a big deal? So Tristan doesn't want to be on Twitter - who cares? If I am so sick and tired of that question, I can only imagine how tedious it is for Tristan to hear it over and over. I hope he sticks to his guns and doesn't cave into the pressure.

I skimmed the written interview and it sounds like he'll be in a pro dance soon? I hope so. There haven't been enough pro dances this season.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

I'm almost certain he'll be on either Monday or Tuesday. It was actually filmed last Monday. Sharna Burgess choreographed it and I think she's in it too - and I know Val and Emma Slater from the troupe are in it, as well as Tristan. So that will mean he was on every week this season (and every week the Nancy Grace season because Week 9 in November he did a number with Sonny Pederson, Kym and Sharna.)