Tristan MacManus: His Irish Eyes Are Smiling

• Please log in to reply

1622 replies to this topic

katdlf

katdlf

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

Gladys is on record as being a fan of DWTS from the beginning, so she certainly knew of Tristan from his partnership with Nancy last season. She's probably not an obsessive Internet/Entertainment News fan of DWTS, however, and wouldn't know much beyond what's televised on the show.

My guess is that the producers suggested Tristan as a partner and she Googled to learn more about him than what was televised last season. It appears that she signed late, so maybe she didn't have the option to choose any pro as others had already been partnered, but I'm thinking she at least had the option to say yea or nay on working with Tristan and that she approved.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

For me, the wink at Carrie Ann is when he went from "Oh, new dancer" to "Who the hell is that and why isn't there a 24-hour channel where I can watch him all the time?!"

This is genius, designing1! I think you should be in charge of programming at ABC.

The differences you point out in the dances are interesting in that they all focus on Tristan, when he could have come up with things to focus on his partner. Now that I think about it, there's a bit of genius in that. He really cemented/promoted his own image while still serving the dance. Clever man.

I agree that that's the result. However, I don't think for a minute that he actually did those things cold-bloodedly for that purpose. And that makes it all the more wonderful. Seriously, he's perhaps the only pro on this show that I've seen with really no ego (pride yes, in terms of quality of performance, but not ego). He's the best pro I've seen in terms of partnering skills, as his focus is always to showcase his partner.

When I pointed those moments out, I didn't mean to imply that Tristan added them to the dances to showcase himself. You said it much better than I could, Twickenham. Pride, but no ego. He is such a breath of fresh air. He didn't even react when Len complimented his choreography. But when Gladys gets praise, he is all smiles, because he wants it to be about Gladys. And I have to say, I love that he has outlasted Val again.

olderdcr

olderdcr

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Thanks to designing1, avecsans, and twichkenham for your insightful commentary as to why I am not feeling the Tristan love the way I did in season 13. Of course his interactions with Nancy - and the barbs those two threw at each other - was very entertaining and really let me (and everyone else in America) see more of who Tristan is as a person. I remember that one line where Nancy commented that he was 'getting all blotchy' and he said 'of course I'm gettin' blotchy - I'm angry!' LOL!

And during one of their (Nancy and Tris) first rehershals where she refused to do what he wanted (Quickstep I believe) and he walked out of the room in a bit of a huff, and they made it up the next day. Nancy might be obnoxious, but man those were good times!! I relive all that stuff, and a smile comes to my face. What I loved about him was that he gave and good as he got, he was not a pushover, yet at the same time, he never abused his partner and always respected her, while sticking up for himself. That shows a lot of character. And smarts.

There may indeed be good stuff that is going on in the rehersals with Gladys, but I don't think any good natured kidding can come close to what he and Nancy had, IMHO. He was very fortunate to get Nancy as his first partner - I really belive she brought out the best in him for all of us to see.
I don't know if there will every be a season as good as 13 was for Tristan - but I'll keep an open mind for the future.

avecsans - I did not think about the dances he did with Nancy and the sexy things he put into some of them. Definately that his lacking this season. But those moments meant a lot to me too.

Now - as for the comparison between Tristan and Val - it's interesting that at the beginning of Season 13 both men were interviewed by Melissa Rycroft for GMA. The interview promopted them as the new 'heartthrobs' of DWTS. It's intersting that one and a half seasons later, it's Tristan who is the heartthrob and Val is forgotten.

I think the real difference between the two here is that Tristan has a personality. Val does not. I mentioned this in another thred on this board - but what struck me about Val this season is that -although he seemed nice and he and Sherri had a good partnership - Val is just so *blah*. He seems to elicit no emotion whatsoever, even when he is expressing emotion. He just seems to flatline to me, "zzzzzzzzzzz".

I can tell you this - given Val's dismal performace in seasons 13 and 14, and his lack of any ability to elicit excitment on the screen, he would be a gonner on this show if it wasn't for the fact that he is Maksim's brother.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

When I pointed those moments out, I didn't mean to imply that Tristan added them to the dances to showcase himself. You said it much better than I could, Twickenham. Pride, but no ego. He is such a breath of fresh air. He didn't even react when Len complimented his choreography. But when Gladys gets praise, he is all smiles, because he wants it to be about Gladys. And I have to say, I love that he has outlasted Val again.

Thanks for the props :). Yes, 'breath of fresh air' is certainly exactly what Tristan is. There were 2 lovely moments last year that I remember - one was during Len's critique of his and Nancy's quickstep - he was saying how it was a proper quickstep, and hadn't broken the rules, which was essentially praising the choreography - you could see that Tristan was really happy with that, but didn't want it to show, letting Nancy get the praise. And, when they were eliminated, when Nancy said that it has been 'all Tristan', the Kermit-esque gulp was just precious :).

There may indeed be good stuff that is going on in the rehersals with Gladys, but I don't think any good natured kidding can come close to what he and Nancy had, IMHO. He was very fortunate to get Nancy as his first partner - I really belive she brought out the best in him for all of us to see. I don't know if there will every be a season as good as 13 was for Tristan - but I'll keep an open mind for the future.

As a long-time fan of Maks', I didn't think there would ever be a partner to measure up to Mel & Maks, and then we got Kirstie... so you just never know.

I do want better edits for them, especially after seeing this Afterbuzz interview from Tuesday. I need to see a video of G&T singing together. Like, seriously.

ETA: And another thing: I could listen to him say 'ploy' all day...

Edited by Twickenham, Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:51 PM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

need to see a video of G&T singing together. Like, seriously.

Count me in.

I discovered again tonight why it was such a mistake for me to fast forward through the troupe in season 12. I watched the finale from that season and there was so much Tristan, and it was all good. He was the one who kept skanky Kendra from falling backward off the judges table when she did her La Vida Loca dance. They also did the thing where Mike Catherwood "auditioned" for the troupe. Tristan was adorable in that, and it showed that his hair is much better a little longer.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I discovered again tonight why it was such a mistake for me to fast forward through the troupe in season 12.

I survived the long winter by re-watching all the troupe bits from S12. I truly think that the main reason for the troupe was to introduce both Tristan and Peta. Tristan especially seemed to be the anchor, and while I don't totally loathe the S13 and S14 troupes like some, you can see that they just haven't come together (either dance-wise or choreography-wise) the same that they seemed to in S12.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Tristan's week 5 blog

Too cute talking about getting his "mam" to smuggle Irish food when she visits.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

I loved that little "boost" he gave to her smile right before they were announced as safe...

Man, do I have it bad.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

I'm surprised she needed the "boost" after the nibble he gave to her ear!

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

after the nibble he gave to her ear!

Goddamnnit! why do I ever sneeze or blink during this show? [runs off to catch the rebroadcast]

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:12 AM

OK, he might have just been yelling "Smile!" directly into her ear and it just looked like a nibble (and a lick) but I like my version better.

Watch it here.

Edited by designing1, Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:50 AM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

After tireless, extensive, repeated, viewings of the clip I can safely say...
...I probably should watch it again to make sure it was his tongue.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I thought it looked like he was breathing into her ear... the thought of which kind of made me weak at the knees...

Although, perhaps I should be as thorough as voiceover and watch it another couple of hundred times... :P

And BTW, can I just say that seeing Tristan do samba rolls was on my personal bucket list... CHECK!

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

I don't know what it was, but I liked it. I love them. Motown Week!

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

I think Gladys and Tristan have done a great job getting to Week 6! Hope they get through it and move on to the next week, but though she doesn't have any concerts listed on her website for this week, for the one after, she has three - Thurs. Fri. and Sat. (April 26 thru 28), but at least no Sunday concert on the 29th. She actually had one in Houston this past Sunday (the fourth one in a row!).

I honestly don't know how they did it! In his blog in Entertainment Weekly, Tristan said the week was a "nightmare" and that he had eight or nine airplane flights last week plus a journey on her bus! I loved how in the practice video Gladys said - "Tristan - he's tough! Gladys - she's tough too!" - Amen, sister!!

BTW, if you enjoyed Tristan's samba rolls with Gladys, here he does them with Peta in this dance they did while in the troupe, to the Hanson song "Give a Little":

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lr4Z0R81l_c

Edited by Elsa, Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:15 PM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Twickenham, serious study of a worthy subject never hurt anyone!

Elsa -- or anyone in the know -- I'm not entirely sure about what a "samba roll" is. Since http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lr4Z0R81l_c '>the clip shows Triss & Peta doing one (or more), can someone give me the timecode for when it happens?

Edited by voiceover, Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:09 PM.

olderdcr

olderdcr

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

I've got to get me some of those Superquinn sausages...

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

The samba rolls in the Hanson video are from 1:19 to 1:23 - I don't know how to describe them! The girl leans over and then the guy is right behind her, with his chest up against her back, leaning over as well, and they sort of twirl around that way, staying close together with him holding her arm out. Oh sheesh, it's hard to describe - something like that.

Also scroll down a bit at the link below - Tristanology did some repeating screen caps of Tristan and Gladys doing their samba rolls Monday night (there's a comment under the videos that says they're doing them - at the moment, it's the fourth set of videos from the top):

http://tristanology.tumblr.com/

Oh and on the second page of videos, the second one down is a set of photographs of Tristan as a little boy. So cute!

ETA: Me too, olderdcr! I'm ready to go back to Ireland and get some! I thought of you Monday night - I felt like they were letting Tristan show up a bit more in the practice video, and I was glad to see it! He's been getting sort of left out in the packages, but they were letting his fun personality show up finally. I really enjoyed this week more than any other this season, I think - well, since the first dance. I also loved her quickstep, darnit, and haven't got over the underscoring!! I still wish I knew what was up with that. I keep watching the dance and it's GREAT!

Edited by Elsa, Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:47 PM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Thanks for the explanation -- I get it now. Actually, I wondered if it might be that -- not because I'm so genius, but because it is one of those moves that you don't see in other dances.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Wow this guy is hot. I don't usually geek out about folks like this but I wanna doodle Mr. Tristan MacManus on my notebook.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

LOL, evilandproud. Have you taken the plunge and become a Tristanite aka MacManiac? If so, welcome aboard. I sure hope they treat him well enough that he wants to stick around (and vice versa, that they like him enough to want to keep him.) He's not just cute - he's funny, humble, hard-working, smart, extremely supportive and affectionate with his partners (one of the reasons he's so lovable), and as Gladys said, he's tough. What else do they want?

Edited by Elsa, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:42 AM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Wow this guy is hot. I don't usually geek out about folks like this but I wanna doodle Mr. Tristan MacManus on my notebook.

I know, right?

And Elsa, thanks for the link to tristanology. What an awesome way for me to waste more time online!

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I don't really notice Tristan alot this season. He is more in the background. I believe if this had been his first season as a pro he might not have been invited back. His relationship with Nancy really got him the exposure. They had a fun relationship. While this season all I am noticing is how often he sticks his tongue out. He still has the cute Irish accent. But otherwise he isn't bringing as much this season for me to notice him. In fact Tristan and Gladys are the couple I always forget about until I see them on the show. And she was so overscored last week. I think they really wanted to get her to Motown week.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I thought he had a really good edit package last Monday and I was glad to see that. Lots of focus on him, he did almost all the talking in the rehearsal hall, Gladys said, "Tristan is tough," etc. Also at the beginning of the season, I thought they focused on him a lot in the pro group dance and he was in the first pro solo - well, pas de deux - with Peta. I hope we'll see him in another pro number - like Val's doing one this coming Tues.

Anyway, I hope he's back and has a good Fall season. The only time they show our DWTS in Ireland and the UK is the Fall season now, so it's great that his season with Nancy was shown there - from the tattoo theme and his comments, I bet he wants to eventually live and work in Ireland, or at least the UK since he could get home more easily - and the exposure will no doubt be invaluable for setting up a studio or getting work at one at a premium salary or whatever. One of the ex-pros from Strictly Come Dancing is selling private lessons at $325 for 45 minutes online right now! (Ian Waite if anybody's interested :)

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

My heart sank when I saw that Tristan and Gladys were dancing first. I knew that could not be good. I posted about this in the episode thread. It must be almost impossible for a young man like Tristan to choreograph a rumba for a lady who is old enough to be his grandmother. Last season Len warned him to make it age-appropriate and this season Bruno didn't think it was sexy enough. I am really hoping they got enough viewer votes to escape the dance duel. And other than a few glimpses, that 20/20 show had no Tristan. Why do I care about Kirstie Alley and Joey Fatone? Answer - I don't.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Yeah I didn't appreciate Len criticizing Tristan for the rumba not being sexy enough. He's far too much of a gentleman with far too much respect for his partner to push that envelope. Makes me like him even more!

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Yes: where's the braintrust at ABC who neglected to put Our Boy front & center in this special?

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I'm not quite sure what was happening with Tristan during Melissa's scores but he looked like he was having a ball!

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

Tristan is really such a sweetheart as well as a sensibly sensitive coach to Gladys. Tonight's rumba has demonstrated that when he was such a good sport to incorporate elements of Motown in their dance (first time in DWTS dance history?).

I suspect that Tristan has decided very early in the piece it was more important for his star-partner this time round to fulfill her dream to be able to dance, to enjoy the whole process and regard the competition only as secondary.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I suspect that Tristan has decided very early in the piece it was more important for his star-partner this time round to fulfill her dream to be able to dance, to enjoy the whole process and regard the competition only as secondary.

Just watched their red carpet interview and would echo this -- Triss was pointing out what a big night it was for Motown, too.

If I didn't want to shag the pants off him, I'd be proud to be his...um...sister/aunt/older cousin.

From his EW blog:

I’ll tell you what happened [re: the laughing during another couple's interview]— we were messin’ around and they tried to get us to come over and sit on the other bench. And we made it onto the other bench just as Maks came up the stairs and the bench nearly went down over us. So I nearly fell on me ass.

I volunteer to pick him up. And dust it off.

Edited by voiceover, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:56 AM.