Tristan MacManus: His Irish Eyes Are Smiling

• Please log in to reply

1620 replies to this topic

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2011 @ 12:09 PM

Let's welcome Tristan to dwts. He has a very impressive background in dance and theater. We'll find out soon whether he can teach a middle aged woman to Rumba in 5 days.

He does have some experience teaching dance and that will help a lot on dwts.

http://www.bostoniri...nsh...-stars’

McManus danced extensively in Ireland and Europe, capturing numerous titles. After winning the All Ireland Championships for the last time in 2000, he moved on to perform in musical theater. Following a highly successful tour of “Simply Ballroom,” initially in London and then in Las Vegas, he was back in London’s West End where he performed in the stage version of “Dirty Dancing.”

He also served as the production’s Dance Captain and Ballroom Supervisor. He subsequently joined the dance spectacular “Burn The Floor,” playing everywhere from New Zealand to Boston’s own Wang Theatre. He also appeared in the film “Ella Enchanted.”

His time in Boston came as a result of an injury he suffered during one of the “Burn The Floor” tours. “I hurt my knee and had to have an operation … Unfortunately, I wasn’t recovered in time to go back on the next tour, so I needed something else to do. And I got contacted by Chris Johnston who owns a dance studio there in Boston.”

He wound up teaching for a year at SuperShag Dance Studios in Charlestown. “Again, it was a new experience, and something I wanted to do,” he said. “Teaching Ballroom and Latin … It was great … I think after every different experience it’s nice to go back and teach … I’d definitely like to do it again.”

Edited by aceplace57, Aug 30, 2011 @ 12:18 PM.

dancingjunkee

dancingjunkee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

Well let me say I am looking forward to Tristan.

Being given Nancy Grace as your partner - what a way to start. It could ring both good and bad for him. Good in that he will get plenty of exposure but maybe bad in that Nancy will be difficult in training. But let's see.

Lola192000

Lola192000

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 3:32 AM

This guy was in the dance troupe last season? Just shows how little I paid attention to the troupe. Cute & Irish - nice ;) Being from the UK, I know nothing about Nancy Grace, but from what I've read she's not a popular figure. Good luck to him!

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 2:39 PM

Interview with Tristan and how he's handling the dwts attention.

This guy sounds so refreshingly normal and grounded in his life. I hope that never changes. The constant media publicity around dwts can be very hard to ignore. Tristan recognizes that he's a dance teacher hired to teach. I think he understands that he's not more important than the celebrity that he's paired with.

I have a hunch that Tristan will make sure that Nancy G. is well grounded in dance fundamentals. That their routines are legal ballroom dances and that they use the standard beginner moves. I doubt we will see Tristan dancing around her and showing off. She may not win, but I think Nancy will actually learn to dance if she stays on the show long enough.

Wow, where did they'd find such a humble guy? I bet he's a lot better dancer than he admits.

I gave up competing a long time ago, but would have danced against Mark, Val, Maks and Derek during my time doing competitions, and I’d have never touched them then! They talk about the rivalry, but I was at the back cleaning my shoes. I remember them being at the top and them winning everything, I was never competitively that person.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 12, 2011 @ 2:46 PM.

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 3:05 PM

Tristan just has this "aw shucks" boyish quality to him. It's great that they got somebody who isn't too egotistical.

loveisthedrug

loveisthedrug

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

Tristan has been my DWTS eye candy since he debuted with the Troupe last season. And that accent! Can't wait to watch him dance again.

I posted this TMZ video in Nancy Grace's thread but will re-post here. He is gorgeous.

wordnerd

wordnerd

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

I think I might have to vote for Nancy Grace just to keep Tristan on my TV screen! I could listen to him read the phone book with that accent.

stuckintraffic

stuckintraffic

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:26 AM

I found myself being a bit jealous of Nancy Grace tonight! Tristan is just a doll. I like that he seems to be naturally affectionate - almost handsy - w/ Nancy. He seems like a genuinely nice person and a caring teacher. Although I didn't quite know what to make of that tongue sticking out....

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:29 AM

He is so gorgeous! That accent is swoonworthy! I almost want Nancy to stay so I can see him more.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:51 AM

I liked Tristan. He seems to have a good attitude, and humor, and he's not a desperate showboater, like the other new male pro seems to be. He was also very courteous to not say anything about the cheap jokes regarding his accent. I hope he won't be one of the many appealing male pros to be dumped in favor of the same crap.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 5:52 AM

I love this guy! I barely remember him as part of the DWTS Troupe, but he really is a charmer. Unfortunately I don't think he will be around too long - he just needs to make enough of an impact so that they will bring him back next season with a better partner. I'm worried there will be a promotional push for Val and Tristan will be forgotten. I thought his dancing and attitude were much better than Val's.

Lola192000

Lola192000

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 7:00 AM

I love this guy! I barely remember him as part of the DWTS Troupe, but he really is a charmer. Unfortunately I don't think he will be around too long - he just needs to make enough of an impact so that they will bring him back next season with a better partner. I'm worried there will be a promotional push for Val and Tristan will be forgotten. I thought his dancing and attitude were much better than Val's.

Totally agree. But I thought Fabian & Damien also made good impressions, but they were never asked back. Will enjoy him for the time he's on the show. He seems like a quite a patient guy, and I guess you would have to be with Nancy as a partner. I thought the "show me sexy" in their rehearsal package was very funny.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

He's cute & sexy. This may help Nancy get a few weeks further.

dancingjunkee

dancingjunkee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

Hey guys. This is Nancy's channel on YT. If you like Tristan here are some cute interviews. The man is adorable, endearing and a breath of fresh air as far as male pros.

http://www.youtube.c...u/4/Pjp-UBmep0w

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

Tristan is adorable and pretty much the only male pro I like right now. And I'm actually not all that crazy about Irish accents, so that has nothing to do with it, lol.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

I'm definitely feeling the Tristan love. Hope he sticks around for many seasons to come. Why does he have to be with Nancy?! She was so hostile towards him in the rehearsal clips. Spending the whole day with him is not a tough gig!

dancingjunkee

dancingjunkee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

I think it is that kind of chemistry where they bicker each other like an old married couple but you know they care for each other and the chemistry is there. Feisty.

I don't know how far she will get but I hope she can hang in there long enough to convince the producers that he needs to stay as a pro. Wouldn't it be great to see him next year with a real contender????

stuckintraffic

stuckintraffic

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

I think it is that kind of chemistry where they bicker each other like an old married couple but you know they care for each other and the chemistry is there. Feisty.

Yes! His hands wouldn't be all over her (like they were during the interview with Brooke!!!) if they didn't have a caring, genuine rapport. I'm a little concerned about a future rumba, however (if they last that long...).

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

I adore Tristan. I would love it if we could keep him next season in place of Mark.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 8:45 PM

Totally agree. But I thought Fabian & Damien also made good impressions, but they were never asked back. Will enjoy him for the time he's on the show. He seems like a quite a patient guy, and I guess you would have to be with Nancy as a partner. I thought the "show me sexy" in their rehearsal package was very funny.

I actually have started to assume if a new male pro is likeable, or popular, they won't have much of a shot of staying. The repulsive Corky Ballas seems to have more of a chance. It's too bad Tristan is with someone who seems to have little use for him but I will enjoy him while he's there.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

Can he stop sticking out his tongue? Great dancer, good choreographer, but damn,that's bugging me.

I would much rather have Fabian or Damian back.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:14 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:50 PM

It made Gene Simmons a very rich man. LOL

Can he stop sticking out his tongue?

ktsee

ktsee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 12:25 AM

I really like Tristan as well. Cute guy, cute personality, cute accent. I do wonder, however, if he is going to be the next Jonathan Roberts?

He is very sweet and low key and seems to be an excellent teacher and partner, but I don't think he is at the level of most of the other pros as far as dance and performance. I wonder how he would fare with a ringer partner like Nicole or Mya, I feel like he might have trouble keeping up, almost. I think he will be back, but may be doomed to babysit the talentless and undesireables to early exits and occasionally the mid way point season after season.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 12:34 AM

I would much rather have Fabian or Damian back.

ITA. Or Dimitriy.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 2:07 AM

Fabian's been gone so long I don't think they even remembers he existed. I liked Damian but he's also been forgotten.

As for Dmitry, I think they put him out in favor of Val.

If Nancy's partner is there mostly so she can make fun of his accent, maybe they're better off being gone.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 6:43 AM

While the male pro's that have been there any length of time have generally devolved into douchebags, I'm not willing to read any conspiracy theories into Tristans' chances of staying on the show (either this season or beyond.)

When the final two couples were listed, Tom B. stressed that though they were the final two couples up for elimination, they were NOT necessarily the bottom two.

I think Tristans' likability, coupled with their "feisty" chemistry will certainly give Nancy Grace a bump for the next few weeks at least.

And I do hope we see him for many seasons to come.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 12:27 PM

He is very sweet and low key and seems to be an excellent teacher and partner, but I don't think he is at the level of most of the other pros as far as dance and performance.

Looked like he was paired with Kym for the Pros dance, and they appeared to be rockin' it.

stuckintraffic

stuckintraffic

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

My heart has belonged to Dmitry the last few seasons but I have to say, this guy is making inroads. I STILL cannot believe how he shows so much affection to Nancy, who comes off as freezing cold. His hands are on her shoulders, around her neck (!), he holds her arms, he kisses the back of her head........I know dancers are an affectionate bunch generally and tend to ignore conventional physical boundaries, but holy moly! He takes the cake, and I love him for it. Reminds me a little of Derek during his first season with Jennie Garth; his arms were always around her waist when they were lined up and he never missed an opportunity to hold her hand; it looked so gallant. I found it very endearing. And kind of hot.

Flashback: Tristan and Peta waltz to O Mio Babbino Caro

I can only recall him as a light-hearted character; revisiting this performance was a surprise since it's quite serious and intense. And also so lovely. And yes, he does stick his tongue out at the end. OY!

Edited by stuckintraffic, Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:39 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

Looked like he was paired with Kym for the Pros dance, and they appeared to be rockin' it.

Isn't Kym supposed to be the weakest - or one of the weakest - on the female pro side, though, in terms of actual dancing? I wonder how he would fare with Karina.

Not that I've really noticed anything one way or the other about his dancing talent, or lack thereof.... I didn't pay much attention to his routine with Nancy Grace because it was, well, Nancy Grace.

And I don't know much about ballroom technique anyway, I'm just going by what some of our past resident ballroom experts have said re: Kym.

Either way, though, I like Tristan a lot. He may not be the best dancer, but that's not all that goes into being a good DWTS pro. :) Not that anyone has said that.

Edited by tip and fall, Sep 21, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

Either way, though, I like Tristan a lot. He may not be the best dancer, but that's not all that goes into being a good DWTS pro. :) Not that anyone has said that.

I agree. I think sometimes the "best" dancer might not necessarily be the best fit as a pro for DWTS. Several of the really great pros don't have massive amounts of titles to their names and might be considered weak in the competitive ballroom word. But their teaching ability combined with their versatility and personality make them stand-outs on DWTS. Karina may be considered the most talented of the female pro but I don't think she is as gifted as Kym, Cheryl, or Lacey with choreography and showcasing her partner. Also, there have been other pros that have been on a season and didn't resonate with the viewers - their personality just didn't translate well.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I think Tristan might be a good fit as a pro on DWTS. For me, he has made more of an impact as a new pro than anyone else has in a long, long time. He's charming, he's good-natured, and seems patient. Time will tell though if he has the ability to last on DWTS. I hope he does, I really like him.

He needs to work on the lip-licking tic though.

Edited by Sunnyheart, Sep 21, 2011 @ 2:51 PM.