Elisabetta Canalis: As Close to Clooney As This Show Will Get

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

spunkysteffi

spunkysteffi

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 1:24 PM

Suggested thread titles: "Elisabetta Canalis: As Close To Clooney As This Show's Gonna Get"

That killed me, and definitely gets my vote.

JanGator

JanGator

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

Suggested thread titles: "Elisabetta Canalis: As Close To Clooney As This Show's Gonna Get"

This gets my vote, too!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 5:02 PM

I'll make it a third. I think that's awesome.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

What is she famous for? Other than dating George.

She will be dancing with Maks' baby bro - that should take care of her being "famous".

commentator

commentator

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

Unless she is REALLY good on the dance floor, imo she'll be the first to go. or soon thereafter.

ktsee

ktsee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:32 PM

Interview with Elisabetta and Val

My favorite part was when the interviewer asked her how her English was coming along and she said she was working on it, and then his next question is long and complicated like: "who are some of the people, the other celebrities who you've bonded with or formed a kinship with?" and she kind of looks at him blankly and says "you mean who do I like the most?" and then you can hear everyone in the room laughing.

She's very charming. I hope all of her English doesn't leave her when she get's to Brooke Burke, even the native speakers struggle to be articulate in the giant pile of awkward that is a Brooke Burke interview.

Also I love the title of this thread.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

I think her English is great, as you say--she makes more sense than Brooke!

I think people will be charmed by her, I really do. I'm looking forward to their first dance.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Unless she is REALLY good on the dance floor, imo she'll be the first to go. or soon thereafter.

I can't recall, have they ever let a woman go after the first dance?
It sounds like Val thinks very highly of Elisabetta's dancing ability. We'll see.

JazzHop

JazzHop

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

I disagree with "as close to Clooney as ..." He is now dating Stacey Keibler and has been a fan of the show since season 2.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

I disagree with "as close to Clooney as..." He is now dating Stacy Keibler and has been a fan of the show since season 2.

Clooney wasn't dating SK when she was a contestant. Just because he's a fan of the show doesn't mean that he will/should be on it, so the title still works, IMO.

I think Elisabetta will last for a couple of weeks, at most.

Edited by DollEyes, Sep 9, 2011 @ 10:05 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 8:00 AM

Video > (ABC) DwtS S13 Rehearsals: Elisabetta Canalis and Val Chmerkovskiy

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 5:24 PM

Elisabetta seems oddly physically inhibited, which is surprising to me given what I know (not much, except she's Italian,) of her background.

I wonder what Bruno, her fellow countryman, will have to say if she brings these inhibitions with her into her first performance?
Oddly, I think I'm looking forward to that ;))

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 5:59 PM

Video > (TV Guide) Elisabetta Canalis Bares All For PETA - September 10, 2011

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

I think this woman is going to Bring. It!

I apologize in advance for not quoting everyone individually, but I've read all the posts. Some I agree w/; some not so much; all are interesting.

I just watched her video at the link to the PETA photoshoot, and I'm also aware that she's done some acting in the U.S., as well as some TV work in her native Italy.

I think she's got great presence. The perceived stiffness mentioned above may be just that she was one on two (Val) w/ the cameras, and not scripted, which would make anyone nervous, let alone someone whose native language is not English. Now if that poster's stiffness comment was physical, I'd have to say that IMO, she moves beautifully from what bits I've seen.

Another piece of the Bring. It! package ... Val! Yes, it's his 1st season, but he's been hearing from Maks for years about the backstage machinations, the frustration about which teeny little bits of days' worth of filming make it into the packages, etc: he's going to be a lot more "The Show" savvy than most of the newbies have been and will be this year.

I'm a huge Maks fan, and I want to see him finally bring home a trophy before he retires (the end of this season will be his, what, third, fourth, threat of that!!), but if Val were to go all the way, well, I know Maks would be proud, although it would be bittersweet, and I'm betting that Elisabetta has as good a chance of getting them at least to final 3, in this mostly, fairly inexperienced cast - also no one with an overwhelmingly huge fan base, I don't think? - as anyone else.

I find her funny, interesting, intelligent, self deprecating and also, from what I've seen in the tiny bits of clips that The Show has been so parsimoniously doling out, graceful and doing well in the ballroom style. She looks to have beautiful hold. That said, I agree that she really has little to no fan base built in, so she's going to have to really come out of the gates strong and get through those all important fan driven 1st few weeks, in order to show us if she can really dance.

I'm looking forward to this season more that I thought I would, and Elisabetta is one of several reasons. My secret heart of hearts wonders how an Elisabetta/Hope finale would feel to this Maks fan, especially if Elisabetta and Val are good as I think they have the potential to be.

Whew - I sit down to jot down a few words and every. single. time. ... it turns into a fricken book! Time to proof - let's hope I don't have to edit this one for one stinking typo!

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 6:37 PM

Video > (myFOXla) Elisabetta Canalis Talks DwtS On GDLA - September 16, 2011

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 1:55 AM

She's very charming in that interview, but I still think she's going to have a hard time on the show. i don't think she has enough of a fanbase.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

Hey, Gilles didn't have a fan base either and he won people over with his charm, work ethic and incredible natural ability. I hold out hope that Elisabetta will do the same.

Edited by oakgal, Sep 19, 2011 @ 1:22 AM.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

Hey, Gilles didn't have a fan base either and he won people over with his charm, work ethic and incredibly natural ability. I hold out hope that Elisabetta will do the same.

But of course, Gilles was a male in highly demographic female fanbase. I hope Elisabetta does well but I don't think she will get anywhere near Gilles territory.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

But of course, Gilles was a male in highly demographic female fanbase. I hope Elisabetta does well but I don't think she will get anywhere near Gilles territory.

I agree. Plus, Gilles was paired with a very popular pro, whereas Elisabetta is paired with someone new to the show (I know Val has been on before, but never in a capacity where people had to vote for him). Though, if she can avoid getting voted off within the first week or two, and show off if she's a good dancer, then she'll probably go pretty far.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 1:16 AM

She might have had a chance dancing with Maks, but if that's her dancing style, I look forward to an early departure. That was terrible.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 2:51 AM

I felt bad for her. She looked petrified and Val really screwed the pooch with that Mark-esque choreography. He was trying so hard to be sexy and it failed miserably. I hope she sticks around to do a standard and see where that goes.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 5:17 AM

Video > DwtS S13 Week 1 Post-Performance Interviews: Elisabetta Canalis : Access Hollywood : OTRC

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 5:49 AM

Video > DwtS S13 Week 1 Post-Results Interview : Elisabetta Canalis : Access Hollywood : OTRC

ETA: Article > (TV Guide) DwtS Elisabetta Carnalis Is Annoyed At Being Linked With George Clooney

Edited by ByTheWay, Sep 21, 2011 @ 7:08 PM.

BillandGrace

BillandGrace

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

She has an uphill climb for sure. Who knows how well she actually placed this week. Her partner does her no favors, but I hope he is able to learn from his obvious mistakes this week and help to showcase her better. If she sticks around, I think she'll come out of her shell in a big way.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

I feel sorry for Elisabetta. She's so thin it seems to affect her energy and concentration for dances. She and Val are just an awful mismatch. She struggles to understand the questions or answer them (then again who wouldn't with Brooke). I really wonder why her people put her on this show.

ktsee

ktsee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 2:12 AM

I'm thinking Elisabetta might be out tomorrow. She was already at a disadvantage coming in with no American fanbase, and the Clooney tie has done her no favors at all. Add in her broken English, a new pro, the fact that her personality is not coming across at all, sub par dancing, and one of the least warm pro-celeb relationships I can remember, and I don't know if they can pull enough votes to stay over Chaz or David.

She and Val are just an awful mismatch.

That rehearsal package was completely unflattering to both of them, and it really seems as though they can't stand each other.

Just looking at her reactions on the Live show, you can see she comes alive at positive attention and looks desperate and disengaged when it's negative, which is obviously not ideal in a student or athlete, but Val needs to learn to work with what he's got real real quick.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 5:23 AM

Video > (OTRC) DwtS S13 Week 2 Post-Performance Interview: Elisabetta Canalis and Val Chmerkovskiy

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

I had never seen Elisabetta before last week on DWTS and my first glimpse of her was the backstage footage. I thought the lighting, makeup, hair and costume weren't kind to her at all, then to see her muscles made the song, Dude Looks Like a Lady, pop into my head. It didn't help that she looked so stiff during her dance either.

Val seems as if he's very impatient with her in the rehearsal footage. I don't think he'll win over any support unless he calms down, quits trying to become Maks 2.0, and grows a pleasant personality.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 6:35 PM

I really enjoyed their Quickstep. It would have been nice of Len to say something encouraging after her bad first dance, but no. Thanks Len.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

Video > (AH) DwtS S13 Week 2 Post-Performance Interview: Elisabetta Canalis and Val Chmerkovskiy