American Restoration

• Please log in to reply

79 replies to this topic

bubbs72

bubbs72

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

At least we didn't seem to have the fake drama on the show now. Does that mean they listened to us???

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

Kelly wasn't around either.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

I've returned to the show once I saw an episode with not so much staged drama. There's still some, but it's not ridiculous like it was earlier.

Stepson Brettly has gone solo on two picks and really impressed Dale. Who knew he had it in him? Last I saw, he had a decent haircut and wasn't looking like a mechanic from Mayberry anymore.

Kelly's presence is minimal.

ETA: Oh, and Kowboy's not given much air time, either, while Kyle and another guy have more of a presence. I didn't find Kowboy's petulance and rudeness humorous at all. I'm guessing others didn't either.

Edited by midvale, Jun 23, 2013 @ 9:50 AM.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

I didn't find Kowboy's petulance and rudeness humorous at all. I'm guessing others didn't either.

I didn't either.  Anytime he and his attitude showed up I said 'if you don't like this then go find somewhere else to work'

He was the antithesis to Rick's happy, easy going attitude.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

I enjoy the show a lot now, changes to the positive and more restoration!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

I'm catching up with some older eps on streaming; I like the show although I'm another one who would like a bit less of the scripted stuff. An item that really caught my eye was the little kiddie-ride boat that the arcade owner brought in for Rick to restore. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the owner's t-shirt said "Funspot"... that's a very well-known arcade in New Hampshire, where I grew up, and I said to myself "Huh; I didn't know Funspot was a chain." It's not! That arcade owner brought the little boat all the way to Nevada, from freakin' New Hampshire, just to have Rick Dale restore it. When I got a closer look at the logo on his shirt I saw that it said Weirs Beach, NH, which is about half an hour from where I grew up. Good old Funspot. I guess Rick MUST have quite a reputation for excellence! Imagine what the freight/transportation charges ran the East Coast owner, on top of the restoration costs.

I bet I rode that boat myself back in the 1960's. Rick did a nice job on it... added a horn and everything.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

Cool! Every so often he seems to do a restoration for an out of state customer.

There was a segment a while back with someone who brought in an old (American Revolution era?) rifle. Rick brought in an expert who recommended a restoration NOT be done, resulting in Rick turning business away. Good deal for the customer and good for Rick's reputation!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 6:41 PM

Yes, I just saw that ep the other night... good on Rick for checking; I know on Pawn Stars they often get stuff in that someone has had restored and devalued the piece beyond hope. Glad he got the professional's opinion and actually TOOK it although it cost him a job! A 1776 musket should remain as-is!

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 3:55 AM

The new season started this week. Rick has hired a new guy, Chris to restore classic motorcycles. It seems like they've given the show the Pawn Stars treatment. There was a lot more distracting crew hijinks. Kowboy giving the new guy Chris a hard time. A new know it all Picker that seemed to make Ron jealous. Typical reality show b.s. It's frustrating to see the show return back to that crap.

I didn't see Kelly in either of the new episodes. I hope she's still on the show.

I watch the show for the restorations. They did a good job on Dale Drake's old scooter. The Mobil Pegasus sign was very pretty lit up in neon.

Edited by aceplace57, Jan 8, 2014 @ 4:21 AM.

Hezadelsol

Hezadelsol

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 1:39 PM

So they changed the intro AGAIN so that it's no longer the workbench/people in my life intro. This season seems to have ditched the "shop drama" like prank wars and who stole a damn sandwich. Instead they do little "outings" that also serve no purpose like Ron and Rick at the renaissance fair. We're honestly supposed to believe that Rick didn't know how to age the suit of armor? The blacksmith showed them bluing, they try it at the shop, realize it won't work, and just do it the way they originally intended. We didn't need the stupid renaissance fair outing! They obviously knew how to do it and knew it wasn't the right technique. If this picker dude that reeks of Aspergers keeps showing up I'm done.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 2:00 AM

Rick did a F-106 ejection seat. I didn't really understand spending the money on it. Those things aren't designed to be decorative.  It was just as ugly restored. I thought they had a dangerous explosive charge in them? Just like an air bag. There should be a charge that shoots the ejection seat out of the jet.  Rick never said anything about it.  Weird.

The early Arctic Cat wetbike was very cool. Rick has me wanting to try gelcoat one of my projects. It's really expensive at $150 a gallon. I'm surprised Rick used boring white.  Wetbikes came in a really nice red too.

Edited by aceplace57, Jan 15, 2014 @ 2:42 AM.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 12:05 AM

Why on God's green earth does Cowboy still have a job.   All he does is bitch and moan and cause trouble for the other employees.   Tonight, the new guy had something to say about a job but Cowboy couldn't listen because he is Cowboy.   THen he rats out the new guy having fun.   NG might be a tad too enthusiastic, but I will take that over Cowboy's negativity any day.   Seriously, when they got work shirts and he didn't like the color I would have looked at him and said "You can either wear the company shirt or you can go work for a company that has a shirt in a color more to your liking."   Guy can't be THAT good at his job and there are plenty of unemployed skilled labor people in Vegas who would jump at his job in a red hot minute.

ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 2:41 AM

Merylinkid.... I couldn't agree more.  First of all... its not that he calls himself "Cowboy", nah... he has to respell it "Kowboy".  Makes him unique I guess.

He's argumentative just to be argumentative... He makes the show tough to enjoy.

Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 1:47 PM

I have a little insight into why Kowboy still has a job.

There are some jobs where the person has to be the right "fit" for the job.  Take polishing metal for example.  It's tedious work and you have to be  experienced enough not to overheat the metal and warp it, or be too aggressive and burn right through the metal.

So you need somebody qualified enough to understand the job at hand, but you can't use a person who is overqualified, because the tedious nature of polishing metal all day would drive them crazy.

Or, to put a finer point on it-- Kowboy is smart enough to do the job, but not so smart that he would die of boredom after two hours of doing it.

ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2014 @ 10:15 PM

I think you are probably correct Last Kid.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 5:26 PM

Who is Leonard and how does he know so much? He's the most interesting thing about this season. Less Kelly (than before....I had stopped watching before because of the pseudo drama), which is a good thing. I'd like to see less Kowboy, too. Actually, no Kowboy would be fine. More Kyle and the guy who draws would be okay. The definition of asshole should show his picture. Wish they'd return to the old formula of showing us more of the process of restoration than the fake side stories. That's an uninteresting distraction, and I STILL wish someone would return Rick's sleeves to his shirt, hide his hair dye, and get rid of that soul patch. So far, it seems that Tyler has no visible tattoos. Good on the boy.

Edited by midvale, Feb 5, 2014 @ 5:28 PM.

ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:58 PM

Like most shows they hook you with a good premise and then torture the loyal viewer by bringing in drama and over doing the a script that shouldn't be all that.  Explain, appraise and restore, wash and repeat until the show runs its course; that's all I'm looking for.  I will say that Kyle is growing up and getting more mature and Brettly (sp) is painful in a Chumlee kind of way.  Just like with Chum, I am sure its script directed to be stupid.  I really wish instead of stupid they would give the viewers some semblance of security this is our youth of today.  Smart and funny is a lot better than stupid and attempting to be funny. 

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:42 PM

I figured it out.   Cowboy is the Richie Icognito of Rick's Restoration.   

ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 1:48 AM

Kowboy... you have to spell it with a "K".  That makes him a special kind of cowboy.

I have missed a couple weeks of AR.  Must say I'm not feeling like I've missed anything.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 6:30 AM

I'm still behind; free streaming just picked up Season 3. I gotta say I almost didn't make it through the first episode because of Kelly. She serves no useful purpose (to a straight female, anyway) and as if the show doesn't already get too far away from the "restoration" that most of us tune in for, she and her tits made things exponentially worse. In the second episode of the season she had the suggestion box. I had a few suggestions for her: buzz off, get lost, etc.

I do, however, like Kowboy. Most workplaces have a curmudgeon of some sort. Mine does, and I can deal with him so well my colleagues sometimes 'send me in' to talk to the guy about a project because we get along and I have a good chance of gaining his cooperation. The biggest mistake they could make with Kowboy, though, would be letting him take over the show. An occasional appearance is amusing; a steady diet of him would be a bad balance.

Way, WAY too little restoration. I agree with everything everyone else has said about how items are dropped off and then suddenly ready at the end of the show with no detail on how they got that way. In the first season they were taking stuff apart right down to the individual screws, detailing the paint-stripping and chroming processes, etc. That's why I liked the show and why I kept watching. They might as well call this incarnation something completely different: "Life with Rick", maybe. I don't like the direction the show is going. Pawn Stars does a lot of ridiculous time-wasting stuff too, but it's easier to ignore because they still have stuff coming into the shop that they discuss and assess value on.