S9 - Kimberly Goldson: Pants Pants Revolution

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 12:12 AM

I like her. Glad last week's episode gave more background on who she is (I didn't see the "Road to Runway" episode). She deserved her win last week and she does make great pants. She also has a good sense of humor (cracking about Bert's shorts being used in the first episode and that comment she made about going to Red Lobster). I hope she's around for a while.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

I guess I have some trouble with the idea that the contestants are supposed to design clothes that are Fashion Forward, but then we see them making odd choices about their own personal style of dressing. With Kimberly, it's the 60's Pocahontas across-the-forehead hair band that she must sleep in -- she's never without it. I don't think it's doing her any fashion favors nor is it enhancing the shape of her face.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

If Kimberly is the one who won Nina's challenge then yeah I like her. She seems to stay out of drama and does good work. At this point its really who do I not despise completely and Kim seems to be one of them.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

It's funny that Tim called Kim out on her AmerIndian stuff last night. I think he mentioned both Geronimo and Hiawatha. It had something to do with the orangey red feathers and black pleather, maybe on some ginormous sleeves that never made it to the runway.

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

• Interests:Highlights of the week with my husband:<br />Fri afternoon: taco day with margaritas and Breaking Bad DVD.<br />Sun afternoon: brunch with the NY times crossword puzzle followed by the farmer's market.<br /><br />Mon afternoon: pizza in bed with The Soup.<br /><br />Without the husband, my loves include gardening; woodworking, walking the bulldog; and reading TWOP.

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

She is a good designer, maybe one of the best this season, but she sure is getting a crappy edit. I don't mean that she comes across badly, I mean that she hardly comes across at all; I think that she has had the least amount of air time of any of this season's crop and she actually won two weeks ago! I have to keep reminding myself of that.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

I'm guessing it's because she's likeable and out of the drama.

On her Lifetime page Q&A, she said she was worried that her lack of technical terminology (she has the skills but doesn't know the proper words, I think she's self-taught) may do her in in group challenges, but so far that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I hope she gets more of an edit soon. The most screen time she got was on the episode she won.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

I was actually talking about Kimberly's lack of screen time - and, happily, drama! - with someone last night and she theorized that this might work out well for Kimberly in the long run, as she could emerge as a real contender once the 'lower tiers' are brushed aside. She's shown that she can produce, but isn't so far 'above' that one little misstep could get her aufed for 'disappointing' the judges.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 8:18 AM

Well, they established her already as "the one who makes so great trousers". I think she will make it under the last five...she hasn't been that much high up so far, but her work is solid and definitly in the upper half of this group.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

Kimberly gets my eternal respect for how calmly she navigated meltdown!Josh, Bert being Bert, and three of the most godawful prints ever. I was a little nervous it would come back to haunt her when she said she wasn't using any of her team's prints, and pleasantly shocked when Kors applauded that decision!

I'm with everyone else who would like to see more of an "edit" for her. Right now I really like her, but I don't have a complete grip on her aesthetic.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

Shes become my favorite person on the show.

Everyone gushes over Anya, but I think Kimberly is gorgeous. Does anyone remember her legs in those little blue shorts? Her mouth is divine. Skin ditto. And her dry sense of humor cracks me up.

From her home visit video, I thought she would be more of a diva, but shes a no drama, practical young woman.

Im not sure what I think of her designs, but as a person, shes a winner for me.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

ITA with every one of your comments stinamaia! Now of course because she is zero drama she wont last long but she really is a breath of fresh air in such a stagnant, foul group of people.

Well played Kimberly well played indeed.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

If the "Age Curse" is real, then she could be the next to go. She's 35 and Becky's only three years older...

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 5:00 PM

That’s interesting to me because Becky presented as much more matronly than Kimberley.

I do think Kimberley is not long for this show unless something drastic happens. She hasn’t been shining recently. I hope she outlasts Becky and Anthony Ryan, but I’m not counting on it.

Edited by stinamaia, Sep 23, 2011 @ 5:01 PM.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

She hasnt been shining recently. I hope she outlasts Becky and Anthony Ryan, but Im not counting on it.

She did. Becky was eliminated a few weeks ago and Anthony Ryan was just eliminated.

Kimberly's designs have been uneven lately, but I hope she can pull it together soon before it's too late.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

Yeah, I was Team Kimberly a few episodes ago, but the wheels are starting to come off the bus. It really pains me to say that because I love her professional, no-drama approach and I think she can be excellent when she's on point.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 6:44 AM

I'm still waiting for her to make more than a well fitted trouser - not that there is anything wrong with it, but her overall look tends to be hit and miss.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 7:41 AM

Even though they tried to make her melt down dramatic, it really wasn't. I was very impressed with how she handled her frustration and then pulled out a nice dress at the end. It wasn't a winning dress but at least it didn't get her eliminated.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 7:52 AM

I was wondering if someone put a hex on our Miss Kimberly this episode. I mean, how many things went wrong? I was half expecting bats to fly out of her sewing machine.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 10:00 AM

I adore Kimberly. Alot. She has endured an amazing amount with fortitude and patience.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

I adore Kimberly. Alot. She has endured an amazing amount with fortitude and patience.

Shes gorgeous inside and out. Of all the designers on the show over the years, I think shes the only one Id love to share a glass of lemonade with and just talk about life and you know stuff.

When Tim gave her The Hug, I felt like he was doing it for all of us watching. Shes a special woman. Strong and vulnerable.

And oh my god fabulous legs! Heidi should be jealous.

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

Who made that "tortoise and hare" comparison with Kimberly? Because I thought it was so, so appropriate. She is stealthily making her way towards the finale.
I do have a worry about her, though, because we've seen it before. Somebody middle-of-the-pack decides they need to take a RISK and get NOTICED -- and then they get auf'd. Mainly I'm worried about it because it feels like that's the direction in which she's heading; although her designs don't indicate a risk would be a bad thing in her case. She certainly has - at a fundamental level - better taste and style than some of the others (Joshua) that are still standing.

She (and those of her ilk) are the main reason why PR is still one of the few "reality" shows I watch. I love PR because I love the whole process of someone taking a pile of nothing and creating something beautiful (or tragic!) out of it in a matter of hours. I love watching the creative process in action and I loved the relationships of past seasons. I hate the interpersonal drama and I hate the blatant famewhores. Yes, she had a bit of a breakdown - most of them do at some point - but the big difference with her is she didn't use it as an excuse to lash out at others, and she dealt with it as privately as she could. Some of those other desperate bastards would have been practically cartwheeling through the workroom shouting "pay attention to me! pay attention to me!" if they sewed through their finger. I wish there were more Kimberlies.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

Kimberley tends to over think her work sometimes, and it gets a bit too labored. She had to work quickly this episode and I think that helped to clear her mind.

I dont see her in the finalists group, but I hope the best for her.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 7:06 PM

When Tim gave her The Hug, I felt like he was doing it for all of us watching. Shes a special woman. Strong and vulnerable.

Oh man seriously. I got verklempt at the hug! For all the reality show shenanigans that have gone on this year, it's like... here's a moment with real human beings.

Early in the show, I worried that Kim was getting the "loser edit", and it was just wonderful to see her pull that dress off.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 4:52 AM

Who made that "tortoise and hare" comparison with Kimberly?

Laura Bennett, in the after show.

Was this the first time Kimberly had mentioned losing her mother? If so I have to hand it to her. Either way, she's handled it with grace during the competition. Granted it was longer ago than Josh's loss, for instance; but those types of things never really heal completely, so, the same applies. She's never been mean to anyone that I can recall, and if she were, I'd think she'd apologize sincerely and quickly. I can't see her trotting out excuses for bad behavior. And most people have been through hard times or some losses by the time they approach 30. (I know she's older, but Josh is a bit below 30, so I averaged it.)

She seemed a completely different person after the Tim hug. I think Tim has restorative powers. But seriously he's just a good person, and that can carry its own magic.

I think Kimberly's strength is with lines. Her Nina jacket, and the gown from the bird challenge, both found their strengths in how the design lines interplayed. I don't really 'speak fashionese' so I hope that translates.

What is her fashion education or work experience, does anyone know?

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

Kimberly mentioned losing her family members in the design for Nina episode. Also, from her page on the Lifetime site, I got the impression that she's self-taught.

caitmcg

caitmcg

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 5:37 PM

Laura mentioned in this episode that Kimberly is self-taught and hasn't been in the design business very long...for whatever anything Laura says is worth.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

Laura mentioned in this episode that Kimberly is self-taught and hasn't been in the design business very long...for whatever anything Laura says is worth.

It's half and half. From her Lifetime page:

Q:When did you realize you had designer potential?
A: I've always had a unique style and would alter and reinvent clothing for me and my friends since high school, but I didn't realize I had the potential to be a designer until one day in about 2006

Q: What is your design training?
A: I did attend FIT, but I majored in fashion merchandising management. My design training is self-taught with a lot of trial and error.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 6:45 AM

Thank you.

Then much of what we're seeing might be native talent or instinct. If she really finds her (design) personality and puts it out there in a strong way, she could go far.

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

A belated Thank You, ScrubMonkey, for answering my previous question.
The longer this season continues the more I like Kimberly. Which, if history is any indicator, means she'll probably be going home soon.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

The designers dish on Kimberly. "Underdog," "survivor," and "self-taught" get thrown around a few times.