The Pioneer Woman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

2564 replies to this topic

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 6:47 PM

I also enjoyed the show a lot. I loved seeing the ranch, the cattle--just a different way of life than most people experience.

Yes, some of her recipes aren't exactly healthy, but she acknowledges that. Paula's aren't either!

I don't understand why she has so many haters out there. Good lord. I feel sorry for anyone who devotes so much of his/her life to hating on others---especially when it is directed to a woman who lives on a ranch and cooks! It is not like she is a vile human being. Just stop watching her and be quiet. Other people enjoy her.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

I do follow her blog, I like it, but she's not a natural on TV. She came across as very uncomfortable, but maybe she will become a bit looser over the course of the rest of the episodes.

When she was done filming she posted on her blog she used like 100 pounds of butter or something crazy like that. Now I don't know how many episodes they filmed and given she probably had to make the dishes multiple times, maybe not every dish involves 2 sticks of butter, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a lot of healthy stuff. Her family looks fit and healthy though, so they either are burning off everything they eat or aren't eating crap all the time. Maybe it's like the crabbers on Deadliest Catch, they eat super high calorie/high fat meals to have the energy to get thru the day.

There's a lot of Pioneer Woman detractors out there, ranging from indifference to full on hatred. The most common complaint I've read is that she isn't what she presents herself to be. Mostly people say she presents herself and her family as a hardworking ranch family when they are really very wealthy. Apparently they can't be both in many worlds. Yes, they are ranchers, and yes they are wealthy. I've never read any post where she claims to be poor or struggling. No, she's never posted "Hey, we're millionaires!" but she's posted plenty of pics of their house, their property, stuff she's bought and never worn (she apparently lives in $100 silk blouses) that she's given away, and enough top of the line products that it's pretty obvious they are extremely well off. It seems that rancher = poor to a lot of people and when they realized she isn't, they felt duped, but really she's never claimed to be. Hell in one of her first posts she talked about a nanny or a summer babysitter of sorts.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 7:18 PM

I like Ree and I enjoyed the show (I missed the kids names, what are they?). I have her cookbook and it's really good. I don't think she's some great chef. I think she was clever enough to rework old Betty Crocker/Church Cookbook recipes and put her spin on them. I am a city girl and I like reading about life on the ranch. It's as exotic to me as Ina's Hampton's lifestyle.

I don't eat much of Ree's food anymore (way, way to fattening) but whenever I want a crowd-pleasing potluck dish her cookbook is the first one I reach for. I'll watch again and I'm just glad we are getting something new on Food Network (The Sandwich King is just not my cup of tea).

irisheyes11

irisheyes11

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 7:26 PM

I can't imagine how such a pleasant and harmless woman came to inspire hate blogs and websites.

Me either....The green eyed monster perhaps? I admit I'm a bit jealous of her life, but what the heck...she got lucky!

And quite honestly, with Hungry Girl packing on the chemicals, Aunt Sandy plying us with multiple spice packets and a bottle or two of whatever booze is around, and Pauler loading on the butter, sour cream and orl, Ree's food, while heavy, is fairly harmless. (Although I have to admit grimacing over the thought of Mountain Dew, sugar and crescent rolls (?) - yuck!)

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

I'm going to step up to the plate and be the bad person. I use to love to read her blog before she became a brand. I'm not a fan of people who don't "keep it real". I think this has to be a kick in the face for real ranch and farmer's wives. She grew up in an upper middle class family (her pop's a dr and they lived on a golf course) and she married into a wealthy cattle ranching family. She does not do everything.

I think anyone who has even a passing familiarity with Ree gets that she isn't a 24/7 hardworking ranch wife. The blog alone, not to mention the book tours, TV appearances, etc. clearly show she isn't a "real" rancher. It's her schtick, plain and simple. I'll be kind and call it naive to get upset that someone with such a media presence isn't out there tagging every cow or scrubbing her own toilet.

Plus, she's never made any secret about coming from a wealthy family or that she married into a successful ranching family. In fact, all that is part of her story. She's not really my cup of tea, but I can't hate on her for the fact that she's masterfully branded herself.

And for the poster upthread who asked what's the big deal about 5 am - I, too, get up at that hour to commute to work. But I respectfully submit that there is a huge difference between getting up then to do hard labor vs. riding on the Metro with a Starbucks in your hand.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 8:34 PM

(I missed the kids names, what are they?)

The kids are Alexis, Paige, Bryce, and Todd. Her husband's name is Ladd.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 8:40 PM

And for the poster upthread who asked what's the big deal about 5 am - I, too, get up at that hour to commute to work. But I respectfully submit that there is a huge difference between getting up then to do hard labor vs. riding on the Metro with a Starbucks in your hand.

Concur. But what about the people who have to get up in order to prepare those Starbuck's drinks for the people who are on the commuter train at 5:00 a.m., or the hospital personnel who have to be up and ready and have patients prepped for surgery at 7:00 a.m.?

It's all subjective, but I didn't think it was necessary for Ree to dwell on it. She could have just left it at when she said that they got up to herd the cattle in the early morning when it was cooler. I'm sure a lot of the dialogue was FN TV monkey editing.

Ima Pilgrim

Ima Pilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

I enjoy the blog, and the ranch life, and the show seemed to be a typical FN stupidly, awkwardly scripted event. I like her recipes (well, those potatoes were a little OTT) and those by her guests, one of her guests, Father John or something like that, had a post about a bread baked in a dutch oven that was to die for. I think if she could loosen up a bit and get off the script the show would be much more interesting. I don't recall her ever claiming to be a poor farmer's wife, but with all she's involved in and what she's built, she works her ass off, and she didn't have a famous family name to trade off of (looking at you, Giada). Whether your wealthy or not, farming and ranching is a bitch of a job, and they seem to manage it with a relatively small team. I thought her husband was cute, I bet in person he is a relentless teaser and has a hell of a sense of humor. I wouldn't mind a weekend at the Lodge on the ranch myself.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 9:39 PM

Regarding the getting up at 5 in the morning---I think Ree was just trying to show "a day in the life of a working ranch". They don't wait around until sunrise to get up and start working. Everyone (even those kids---even the 6 year old!) are all up at 5 and heading out. I thought it was really interesting. I don't care if they are wealthy. That is a lot of hard work!

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

I can't imagine how such a pleasant and harmless woman came to inspire hate blogs and websites.

That's the power of the internet; it can be great for positive networking, a lifeline for those who feel isolated. But the veil of the internet allows people to show their lack of simple human kindness. I can guarantee the bully using social networking wouldn't have the guts to say anything to their face.

I have never really followed Ree, so today's show was the first time I've really seen her. Her recipes are good, but you can find most everything she did in any church fundraising cookbook. How much butter she uses doesn't really matter to me. I'd rather see someone use butter than to see packet after packet of mixed powder seasonings or artificial sweetener.

Here is what really bugs and the main reason I probably won't use her show or anything other than background noise; my husband was laid off a little over a year ago, and he went back to work at the same company but in a different position earning 2/3 of what he had been earning. I have to watch every penny. The last thing I want to hear is how 'today we are going to eat dinner in the lodge' because, well, had it not been for our government backed loan modification, we'd be in trouble keeping our head afloat with one house. Our choices are eating at the dining room table or eating on TV trays in the living room. Hearing that Ree had the choice of what house in which to eat just makes me feel bad about my own life. And who wants to watch that? I'm not under any illusions that all these celebrity chefs live from paycheck to paycheck but just show me a few recipes, not how great your life is and how many houses you have to choose from.

I did want to smack her for not using a better method when she was breading her steak - one hand for the wet stuff and the other hand for the dry stuff Ree!

Ima Pilgrim

Ima Pilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

The Lodge serves as a guest house, production kitchen, site of cooking seminars,etc., so for sure it is a business expense and not just a second residence - I'm sure they filmed there because that's where she does most of her cooking, that's where they filmed, and maybe she doesn't want her private house on TV.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

I like Ree and I enjoyed the show (I missed the kids names, what are they?). I have her cookbook and it's really good. I don't think she's some great chef. I think she was clever enough to rework old Betty Crocker/Church Cookbook recipes and put her spin on them. I am a city girl and I like reading about life on the ranch. It's as exotic to me as Ina's Hampton's lifestyle.

Good point about Ina, she and her husband are extremely wealthy as well, are there Ina hate sites? If not, what is the difference between rich rancher's wife, and Hampton's matron?

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

I don't see what Ree's father's profession has to do with much. She can't help who her parents are or how much money they earned. Would she only be "authentic" if she came from a poor background? Further, she can't really help that she fell in love with and married a rancher from a family that happens to own a lot of land, can she? If she were a gold-digger, she wasn't a very good one. I think marrying into a wealthy banking family would be a lot easier on the joints and muscles than marrying a rancher, but YMMV.

I liked her show. It was a solid first effort. Giada was terrible on her first few episodes, she rarely smiled and didn't seem very natural in front of the camera. I would imagine it takes some time to be good at this sort of thing.

SlateRun

SlateRun

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

Pioneer Woman's children are adorable, her dogs are precious, but her food is gross. There weren't any recipes on this episode (except maybe the tomato salad) that I would make. Ree's just not my cup of tea.

Edited by SlateRun, Aug 28, 2011 @ 6:45 AM.

hilaryvm

hilaryvm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

I'm not a regular food network watcher, I just have it on when I want background noise. However, I made it a point to watch this show because of Charlie and Walter (her basset hounds). My family has 5 basset hounds, so I figure she can't be that bad if she has 2. I'll probably watch for the few glimpses of them every week.

I didn't think the show was that bad or that great. Of course, I'm a vegetarian, so there is rarely a non-dessert item on the network that I can eat. But, I'm willing to give this show a chance for a few more episodes at least.

PowerfulNiolani

PowerfulNiolani

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

Better than i thought...but her voice is a bit whiny, the food was the same as Paula's, greasy and unhealthy. But if I could I'd eat like that everyday, but most likely would end up at the Brookhaven Clinic!!!

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

The Lodge serves as a guest house, production kitchen, site of cooking seminars,etc., so for sure it is a business expense and not just a second residence - I'm sure they filmed there because that's where she does most of her cooking, that's where they filmed, and maybe she doesn't want her private house on TV.

What they call The Lodge was the house Ladd (her husband) lived in when she first met him. The house she lives in now is the house her in-laws lived in; Ladd's brother also has a house somewhere on the property. The property is, IIRC, the largest ranch property in the state of OK, so there are multiple homes, as well as a huge cattle ranching operation on it. A couple of years ago, Ladd & Ree renovated The Lodge, & use it as a guest house, place to have big family parties, & as her Pioneer Woman career took off, a place to do photo shoots, cooking demos/seminars, & now, TV shows.

I like her, but no matter what one's opinion of her is, she created the PW brand out of nothing but her life story & experiences, & has worked her ass off to create a career with it on her own. I find that admirable.

foodie100

foodie100

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 11:33 AM

The show didn't bother me one way or another. Kind of like her website. I've gotten quite a few giggles out of her site in the past few years, but I'm not a rabid fan. I find her amiable and likable. Of course, I'm a vegetarian and therefore can't eat most of her recipes. AND I'm not a fan of the cattle industry .... blah blah .... so I don't really enjoy giving her site a ton of hits/ad revenue because it's just not my scene. But more power to her if she has a huge fan base. She's not quite as fun on TV as she is on her site, I will say. She's a little awkward in person; hopefully she opens up and gets more comfortable on camera.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 11:49 AM

Caught part of this the other day, and couldn't watch. Her voice bothered me, and I found her eyes creepy. CREEEEEPY. Of course it could have been the meds and the 103.5 temp, but Ree scared me. I may try to watch again, if I can get past the fever memory of the creeeepy eyes.

allfarkledup

allfarkledup

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 1:05 PM

Agree with those that compare this show to Paula Deen, old-school Paul Deen that is. Before Paula jumped the shark. Before every episode being taken over by her grouchy son (the married one with a kid) and before Paula started making food that was obviously not her own recipes (Mexican, Thai, etc.).

The original Paula show was similar to this show in that it is country cooking, whether in the South, on a farm, in the Rockies, or on a ranch. Good ole stick-to-the-ribs comfort food.

I love to see this show bring it back and I miss the old Paula show when they were, too, about comfort food.

Nobody claims it is a health-food show. Bring it on!!!!

Janet48

Janet48

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

Better than i thought...but her voice is a bit whiny, the food was the same as Paula's, greasy and unhealthy. But if I could I'd eat like that everyday, but most likely would end up at the Brookhaven Clinic!!!

ITA..we actually said this almost verbatim in our household. To her credit, Paula has been (with Bobby's help) creating healthier menus and recipes as of late. This Ree person seems nice enough, but come on. I love chicken fried steak, but I use my brain and research to make it in a calorie-responsible manner. In this day and age, there is simply no reason to cook the way she did on the first epi. I am not championing a show featuring Ellie Krieger in a cowboy hat at all, but please.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Well, it's been interesting reading posters' impressions of PW's first show. I've read her blog a little, over the years, and like her writing style. It's typical FN horrid scripting that makes the show look awkward which is a shame (given how appealing those children are--cute & amazingly gracious!). But since this is TWOP, I must admit that the food truly was not appealing to me. And her comment about longtime ranch-hand Josh being "like a member of the family" really bothered me. It had that plantation owner tone IMO. I think I'll check in the next few Saturdays to see what she's cooking since I'm rather desperate for a new cooking show.

historylover

historylover

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 7:36 PM

I am incredibly underwhelmed by this show. I've seen the cookbook on the shelves for a few years and being from the West, was not impressed. Also, where I come from we don't chicken fry in oil and butter. We chicken fry in bacon grease and a little Crisco. I don't like how she uses her kids as props; they are acting and it shows, and also the clothes they are wearing are too new and too nice to be out playing in the grass. Hats and spurs at the table, along with eating before the woman of the house that cooked for that family and the hired help is JUST PLAIN RUDE IN MONTANA! We don't do that here. It is considered disrespectful. Also, real cowboys don't tuck in their pant legs into their boots; here it's how to tell the difference between cowboys and sheep herders.

Sorry, but if I watch this show again, it's because I'm going to snark on it. While I am not a rancher, I have lots of friends who are and I've occasionally helped them out, along with a few farmer friends I know. So I know how it goes.

Also, just what is she pioneering? Real pioneer women died off long ago. she might call herself The Pioneer Woman, but she didn't invent it. Kind of like another version of Semi-Homemade; Sandra Lee didn't invent that, either, just marketed it.

Edited by historylover, Aug 28, 2011 @ 7:38 PM.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

So I know how it goes.

Maybe it goes a different way in Oklahoma, and Ree's ranch ?

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

historylover-Darling! Where have you been all my life? (j/k) Another history lover here, and I tuck my pants into my boots-guess what my family raises?
In complete agreement about the "pioneer" tag, but didn't want to write that myself, as I already called her eyes creepy (meds and fever, you know). I'll try to watch next week and see if the show is less irksome than the five or so minutes I watched this weekend.
I wouldn't make chicken fried steak, with butter and oil or with bacon fat and crisco (so not kosher, and I hate CFS). And since she seems (from what those who follow her blog are posting) to use a lot of butter, I couldn't use many of her recipes anyway. Oh well, maybe snark is the answer!

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 7:59 PM

Also, just what is she pioneering?

If I remember correctly, she chose the name because she moved from LA to Oklahoma out in the country (Pawhuska, OK, for those who care). So she felt like a pioneer woman. Kind of dumb, because she was originally from Bartlesville, OK to begin with. Got to have a hook though.

Also, real cowboys don't tuck in their pant legs into their boots; here it's how to tell the difference between cowboys and sheep herders.

Yeah, that was just odd. All of the photos on her site don't show any of them (except the kids sometimes) doing that, so I don't know why it was in the show.

I used to read her blog avidly and I agree, she seemed nervous on the show. Her food is delicious, and I like seeing places I've driven through, so I'll probably watch every now and then.

Ima Pilgrim

Ima Pilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

Yeah, that was just odd. All of the photos on her site don't show any of them (except the kids sometimes) doing that, so I don't know why it was in the show.

Maybe they were doing something different on the ranch that day that required not dragging your pants in the mud, or the cow poop, or whatever. Or maybe they were playing polo and we just didn't see it.....

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 9:36 PM

I don't like how she uses her kids as props; they are acting and it shows, and also the clothes they are wearing are too new and too nice to be out playing in the grass.

Actually her kids tend to dress like that all the time. More often than not, her kids, and the guys on the ranch are wearing long sleeved dress shirts when doing ranch work. They might have been new for the TV shoot, really no one is going to put their kids on tv in jeans with cow poo stains, but they weren't wearing anything different than what they've been wearing on her blog hundreds of times.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

This show was o.k I guess, nothing groundbreaking. I will say that it was nice to see someone who enjoys cooking for a change.

I like country fried steak and I love milk gravy but I can't stand it over mashed potatoes. Over biscuits however? Yum!

allfarkledup

allfarkledup

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

They tuck their pants in the boots in New Mexico, Texas and Colorado. Both for ranching and rodeo-ing.

If only one pant leg is tucked in, it is said that that cowboy has only one cow. (old corney ranch joke).