The Pioneer Woman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

2564 replies to this topic

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

I remember a post where they went to some fancy catered dinner and Ladd had to leave in the middle of it to go to McDonalds because the food was just too fancy for him to eat and he was starving. One of the exotic dishes he refused to eat was Caesar salad.

There was one lettuce leaf on his plate and it was there through the entire meal. He did not eat even one bite of it

Marlboro Man sounds like a spoiled brat, & an unhealthy one at that.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

So, the Indentured Servant Josh episode. Was it really necessary to sport the cowboy neckerchiefs at dinner? Why didn't the kids make him a big "Cowboy!" sign to wear instead?

Otherwise pretty damn boring again. Ree's top was rather unflattering, was it velvet?

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I thought this morning's episode was pretty okay. The food wasn't anything special, although I think I might try that salad dressing (always looking for new ways to dress a salad). Cowboy Josh is kinda cute... and his interaction with his aunt and uncle appeared genuine to me, and he definitely doesn't play up for the camera, if anything he comes off as shy.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

OK, I'll say it. Today, I actually enjoyed the footage with the kids and Cowboy Josh. There was actually a caption that explained what they were doing and I thought he was very nice and patient with the kids. It probably took dozens of takes to get it right, but the kids seems to respond well to his instructions.

I did not miss seeing Ladd, although I was very disappointed that there wasn't a dinner scene with the Drummonds, as well, to see how he reacted to being served a *gasp* SALAD!!! I wanted Little Pioneer Boy to exclaim, "Gosh, Momma! This is the BESTEST ONLY salad I've ever had!!" The rest of the kids would stare at their plates in dumbfounded wonder of what that stuff was that didn't have butter or cream on it. Then Ladd would take off his hat and swat the young 'un on his behind to set him straight that menfolk didn't eat green stuff.

Did Ree put the potatoes back in the oven after she filled them? I have to admit that I had to run to my own kitchen for a moment when she was filling the potato skins. I thought that she said that she was going to just set them aside to stay warm. If she didn't rebake them, then they were potato skins like you'd order as bar food, not twice-baked potatoes. But again, I might have missed something.

This was at least the third time that Ree has demonstrated how to make that pie crust. I have never heard of making pie crust and adding vinegar. Doesn't she also add milk to it? I guess whatever works.

I was getting nauseous during the talking head/driving scenes. That must have been some rough terrain Ree was navigating.

Yes, her top looked like it was velvet or that material that looks like velvet, but it really is polyester. In either case, it would be miserable to cook in, especially with all of those gas burners and ovens going, in addition to camera lighting. If Ree perspires as much as she said that she does in her book, she must have felt like she was wearing a wet throw rug. Yuck...

I saw a commercial for the show that is going to be the PW replacement for a while and Trisha seemed like she might be fun to watch. I'm not sure though, if I want to see yet another show about "down home" or "Southern" cooking. Somebody at Canadian FN or TCC needs to coax Laura Calder out of TV retirement ASAP!

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Adding a little mild vinegar to pie crust dough is an old idea -- acid relaxes the gluten in the flour & makes the dough much easier to handle. There are lots of recipes on the internet & it's well worth trying -- the difference between working with "vinegar" dough & "regular" dough is immediately apparent. Can't taste it at all, of course.

Edited by qvole, Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:49 PM.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Did Ree put the potatoes back in the oven after she filled them? I have to admit that I had to run to my own kitchen for a moment when she was filling the potato skins. I thought that she said that she was going to just set them aside to stay warm. If she didn't rebake them, then they were potato skins like you'd order as bar food, not twice-baked potatoes. But again, I might have missed something.

She put them back in for 20 minutes.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Some people use Vodka instead of vinegar. Supposed to make a tender flaky crust.

So, how many times did Ree tell us that she was cooking for both Cowboy Josh and her "crew"? I think in the first half she just kept saying it. We get the message!

I, too, am happy Ladd wasn't in this one. And quite frankly, Josh is much cuter anyway.

There was nothing in this ep that I would make, really. I might try the dressing though.

Suby

Suby

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

The bacon covered meatloaf slathered in ketchup and brown sugar looked totally barftastic. Potatoes, salad and dressing looked pretty good. Mr. Suby says Ree looks a phony....

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Is it possible to call a topping a crisp when it doesn't have any oatmeal? Wouldn't it be a streusel or something? This has been bugging me for days. I am tired of the sauces for steak. It's FN meddling, probably, since steak in every show would be boring.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

This site gives definitions for cobblers, crisps, etc. Of course there will never be total agreement.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

Some people use Vodka instead of vinegar. Supposed to make a tender flaky crust.

Also lemon (or any other citrus) juice -- any kind of acid will affect gluten & make dough easier to handle.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Just caught the episode with chicken fried steak and cowboy this, that & the other. Ree still stiff & awkward but not as bad as the last episode I saw which was an early one with pulled pork. The gravy was gross and of course Ladd avoided the only "healthy" item which were tomatoes slathered in balsamic and huge chunks of parsley & basil. Then we were treated to Ree doing cowboy like activities. "It's dark thirty." She's such a weird one.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Then we were treated to Ree doing cowboy like activities. "It's dark thirty." She's such a weird one.

One of my relatives who was in the Navy had to learn military time: 0-400 = 4:00am; 0-530 = 5:30am; 1400 = 2:00pm; etc. She & her friends would say "0-dark-thirty" for early morning times that didn't require precision -- many years later, they all still say that.

hielandfoodie

hielandfoodie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

I worked for the railroad for 25 years, and 0-dark-30 indicated a very early morning call.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

oh I had no idea. I gave her too much credit then for making it up.

MsGonzo

MsGonzo

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I've only seen this show once, and this family reminded me of a slightly more highly evolved Duggar family. When she said, We home school, well...

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

The blessing is that there aren't as many Drummonds infiltrating the earth like cockroaches. I have to say that I don't miss Ree's show one bit. If FN had to choose two shows to fulfill the ubiquitous Southern/comfort/down-home genre, then I hope they'd choose Paula's and Trisha's shows. I really don't care if Paula is playing the emperor in that she's *slimming down her* fat/calorie-laden recipes due to health (e.g. public demand) reasons. I think that Trisha makes a nice a balance. Ree just doesn't bring anything to the table to me. I'm in no hurry for her show to return. My new Saturday repertoire has been subtly shifting to TCC with "Spice Goddess," (since Aarti isn't coming back) "French Food at Home" (if I can catch a rare unseen episode) and "Simply Baking."

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

If FN had to choose two shows to fulfill the ubiquitous Southern/comfort/down-home genre, then I hope they'd choose Paula's and Trisha's shows.

Trisha's show is on right now. I had PW's show on before this, & I figured out why I prefer Trisha's show leaps & bounds over PW's. It's not the food- it's very similar. It's PW. She annoys me on camera; IMO she is not TV friendly. Maybe it's because Trisha has been a performer for many years, but she is a pleasure to watch. She's warm, funny, & believable- 3 things I can't say about PW, who may be those things in real life, but it doesn't come across on TV. Her family is adorable, & Charlie is, too, but she is like watching a plank of wood make unhealthy food.

Edited by wallybear, May 26, 2012 @ 10:01 AM.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I have to agree with wallybear. I have tried, but there is nothing that I like about Ree. She could be a Le Cordon Bleu trained chef and she'd still be a flop. To me, it's not so much the type of food that she prepares, but the manner in which she presents it. The woman simply isn't camera-friendly on any level. Period.

Thus far, she has been unable to persuade me to give a s*** about her, her food, her family, the dog (I've had negative experiences with Basset Hounds, otherwise I love dogs!) or the ranch. To me, that all adds up to the hallmark of an unsuccessful show, at least by the standards spouted by the FN executives on TNFNS. I do not embrace Ree's culinary POV -- epic failure!

Unfortunately, Ree and her handlers obviously went to FN well-armed. They had already constructed a camera-ready studio, plus, Ree brought a built-in audience of her bloggers and potential advertisers. That's a gold mine to FN. It's a no-brainer that they will bring Ree's show back for more seasons. It doesn't matter that she sucks on camera. There are enough people who will watch her show and companies that will buy commercial air-time, so we're stuck with her!

Hopefully, we'll have a lot of time to wait for new shows (thought it wasn't until 2013.) How bad can that be? ™ Ina

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

Thus far, she has been unable to persuade me to give a s*** about her, her food, her family, the dog (I've had negative experiences with Basset Hounds, otherwise I love dogs!) or the ranch. To me, that all adds up to the hallmark of an unsuccessful show, at least by the standards spouted by the FN executives on TNFNS. I do not embrace Ree's culinary POV -- epic failure!

So well put, except I love Charlie! While her family seems nice, & her kids are adorable, you're right- I don't give a shit about seeing them. Contrast that to Barefoot Contessa, where I *hope* to see Jeffrey, TR, Miguel, Frank, etc. etc. PW just engenders no interest from me whatsoever.

Unfortunately, Ree and her handlers obviously went to FN well-armed. They had already constructed a camera-ready studio, plus, Ree brought a built-in audience of her bloggers and potential advertisers. That's a gold mine to FN. It's a no-brainer that they will bring Ree's show back for more seasons. It doesn't matter that she sucks on camera. There are enough people who will watch her show and companies that will buy commercial air-time, so we're stuck with her!

Again, ITA. All that matters to FN (let's face it, to any business) is the bottom line. FN didn't have to build her a set, & I'm betting that the production staff stays at The Ranch during the week or two of filming (the Drummond's can write it all off their taxes, so why not?) Then, as stated, due to her blog there is a huge built-in audience for Ree's unfunny schtick & boring recipes. It is a no brainer for Kermit & Medusa, for sure.

Which means we are stuck with this drek for a long time to come. Blech.

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I wish Food Network would stop giving us shows with these "affected" personalities. Aarti was the first one. Ree is the next one. Affected means with these quirky attributes that are like they are trying to hard to express something and it comes out in a weird way. Now, I don't know why Ree has that perma smile on her face. Smiling is good, I'm not a grouch, but not when its forced/fake. Like she still kept her smile on when she was taking pictures with that huge camera she sticks too close to the food while someone is trying to eat it! If someone stuck a damn camera in my food, I'd slap them. It's almost like she has that frozen smile like she is paralyzed... or like that one classic novel where the guy had a permanent smile. I forget the book, but it's a classic. That's how I picture Ree, but she is forcing it!! Why!!!

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

It's almost like she has that frozen smile like she is paralyzed...

Does that happen with too much Botox?

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

You may be right - botox!! I never thought of that... That might be what I'm seeing :)

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

I saw a bit of today's show because the tv was on the channel and I couldn't believe she thought the boot and hat closet was an appropriate hiding place for that apple dessert.

CourtneyLove

CourtneyLove

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 3:50 AM

Not to mention she was supposedly "hiding" the dessert, and she put it in a small place filled with nasty, dirty boots and hats, where one would walk in and be overwhelmed by the smell of apple... I believe you, Ree.

I like her blog, I love the use of photographs, but Ree's a bit lame and wooden and the show needs help. She needs someone to talk to, because on her own Ree's about as exciting and interesting as my big toe... perhaps less so.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

I have only seen two episodes and I kind of like the concept, more down-home cooking that isn't fancy-schmancy as my lovely husband would say. He would eat every single thing she is making.

And I did learn a tip or two on cooking the beef tenderloin. I have my own awesome recipe for twice-baked potatos but her corn casserole looks more healthy than a version my family does. No way I'm making my own ranch dressing though.

Can I say how awesome it was to watch her out-shoot her arrogant husband?

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Not to mention she was supposedly "hiding" the dessert, and she put it in a small place filled with nasty, dirty boots and hats, where one would walk in and be overwhelmed by the smell of apple... I believe you, Ree.

LOL - cow & horse shit dessert - YUM

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

No way I'm making my own ranch dressing though.

You should try it, rivermet! Not necessarily PW's, but in general. It tastes so much better than the bottled! I may be a bit biased because there's something in bottled dressing (especially the creamier ones, like ranch, blue cheese, and caesar) that I just can't stand, but it's so easy to do, it's healthier, and fresher tasting than the bottled dressings.

I've tried several of her recipes since her show has started, and they are a bit hit or miss for me. The chocolate truffles were very very good, but I had a little less luck with the cajun chicken pasta (but I think that was because I tried to lighten it up instead of committing to the cream). She's not the most camera-comfortable person ever, but as long as the food looks good (fat and all) I'll keep tuning in.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I had to laugh when I saw the comments about the hiding place for the apple dessert. I kept yelling at the TV 'Get some aluminum foil! Gack! Cover it up!'. Also, I wonder if she called the dessert 'flat apple pie' because it sounds more 'pioneer-y' or country? I've never made one, but I recognized that right away as an apple crostata. I'm trying to remember the recipe, but did she put any type of spice in it, such as cinnamon or nutmeg? I just remember apples, sugar and maybe some flour to toss the apples in?

That was the only part of the episode I saw, so I can't comment on the rest of it.

Edited by BooksRule, Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I just remember apples, sugar and maybe some flour to toss the apples in?

No spices, just two kinds of sugar.

It was a crostata or a galette. I'm not sure what the difference is but FN has hundreds of recipes for each and they all look similar. Calling it a "flat apple pie" is part of Ree's aw-shuck's-I'm-just-a-little-farm-wife shtick. Totally fake, but it's made her millions of dollars.