S23: Sophie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

215 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

She thinks this game is going to be easy. Ha ha ha!

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

With a name like Sophie, there has to be an episode titled "Sophie's Choice", but she doesn't come off as likable, so I hope not.

Pet peeves: ...and people who walk slowly in cold weather.

That's not totally random or anything.

Reason for being on SURVIVOR: To win money! I have been bragging to friends for way too long about how easy “Survivor” is and how good I would be. I would like to have the freedom in Med. School to choose my specialty based on passion and not money and the potential to more quickly pay my debts.

And then go pay for that Master's degree in English.

Avia

Avia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 6:10 PM

She earned my affection by citing Stephen Fishbach as her favorite player and saying that she wanted him to win over JT. Just for that, I have a lot of tentative pre-show good will for her. I'm really terribly easy that way. :->

Also, while I know that this is stupidly shallow, I appreciate that she's not a twig. I hope that she turns out to have some real athletic ability. It's not that I normally give a damn whether players do well at the challenges or not, but I'm a little tired of the lack of larger women who can compete physically on this show -- as well as by the general lack of variety in body shape among the women cast.

I fear that she may be not half as smart as she thinks she is, but I'd love for her to prove me wrong.

jkalderash

jkalderash

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

I think you're going to be very pleased - CBS has already released a promo about how she's a badass in challenges: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=57wlvSGt5Q8

Avia

Avia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 6:22 AM

That's great to hear, jkalderash, especially since something about her manner of speaking in that EW interview made me feel pretty hinky about her social game. She came across as a bit geeky to me, which admittedly is largely why I liked her (geek solidarity!), but which is usually a pretty huge hurdle for the first stage of this game. If she's a badass in challenges, that should help her to avoid being targeted early.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 4:18 PM

She came across as a bit geeky to me, which admittedly is largely why I liked her (geek solidarity!), but which is usually a pretty huge hurdle for the first stage of this game. If she's a badass in challenges, that should help her to avoid being targeted early.

Sounds a bit like roller derby Flicka. I loved that girl, but she was never really included in the social group. If Sophie's social acceptance is as low as Flicka's was, I think being a challenge monster might actually work against her. Doesn't matter how good she is, though, as a female she will never be given true respect as a challenge contributor by the other players or the PTB.

She shares a name with my daughter, though, so that'll be my hook for liking her...for a while, at least.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 5:50 AM

Generally, it's tough to figure out how well a [BLANK] student would perform on this show based on the early episodes, but she seems promising. If she can get in with the right alliances, I think she'll go far.

Avia

Avia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

There's a great Sophie video up at CBS in which she talks about her sub-alliances within the 5-person alliance. She has (or at any rate believes that she has) two separate F2 understandings, one with Albert and one with Coach, as well as an F3 alliance with Albert and Rick. She also talks about how she has taken it upon herself to form bonds with Edna and Mikayla, to prevent them from feeling on the outs.

I guess only time will tell whether she's playing or being played, but she comes across as quite game-savvy, although she seems to have underestimated the strength of the Coach-Brandon bond: she talks about wanting to suggest to Albert that he cozy up to Brandon a bit more, so that Brandon doesn't start worrying about being the odd man out at the bottom of the alliance.

thehepburn

thehepburn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

I saw that video too. It sounds like both she AND Coach are following the B-Rob plan of last season: keep checking on every member of your alliance constantly and let everyone believe that they are Final 2/3 with you. Except that Coach is willing to work with the large mountain of craycray that is Lil Hantz and Sophie is having second thoughts. I don't blame her - I would feel the same way - but I think Coach will go farther with the B-Rob blueprint than Sophie because he might be able to control the Hantz.

Edited by thehepburn, Sep 22, 2011 @ 8:03 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

I am pro-Sophie. Go Sophie. If you get rid of Lil' Lil' Russell next week (or at any point, really), I will be eternally grateful. She seems like the only smart and possibly creative person in this game.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

I will say it's unusual to see someone of her body type on the show, and while I appreciate the usual eye candy that's cast, I can totally root for someone who is cast against that - imo, narrow and manipulative, from a casting pov - type.

Raguel

Raguel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

I like her. Love her plain no-nonsense way of speaking. Go Sophie!

Trek

Trek

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 8:23 AM

She's well placed and seems to have the strategy, situational analysis skill and a good gut instinct for this game. She's also getting a decent edit. I'm thinking she is a shoo in to make the merge and how far she can progress beyound that will depend on how the numbers stack up between the tribes at that time.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

I dunno about Stacey. It seems survivor is difficult for a woman especially when the women divide on a tribe. Once the men are in control of the tribe they tend to like to keep the cute ones around.

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 12:11 AM

She seems to be keeping a nice ear on things. Might be as much in the loop as Coach is, if not more so.

Edited by CletusMusashi, Oct 13, 2011 @ 12:20 AM.

Freeoh

Freeoh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 3:16 AM

She's playing a very solid game, and I think there's little doubt she's in for the long haul - at least to the mid-jury, surely. She has the capacity to clearly understand what's what, and to contribute to decisions, but when the alphas start beating their chest and taking charge, she's smartly stepping aside - so that if there's heat from a decision, the alpha will cop it in the neck rather than her. She's not showy, but she's smart.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 4:53 AM

The more she talks about how Brandon frustrates her, the more I like her. It's a shame that she wasn't able to get things going her way with the vote, but she's still playing an incredibly smart game. However, if she blows a solid opportunity to get rid of Brandon, I'm going to be more disappointed with her than any other player this season.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

She held her own during the wheelbarrow challenge.

SimonHumboldt

SimonHumboldt

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

she was smart to step back and let Albert push so hard for Mikayla. i hope this vote did not drop her and Albert down to the bottom of the pecking order. Cowboy did them no favors by changing his vote without telling them, and letting her and Albert hang out to dry. At this point who can she really trust besides Albert? There is now at least some wedge between her and Cowboy, Coach, Brandon, and Edna. Plus with Christine a certain flip on RI, her tribe is actually down 1 in numbers. Perhaps Mikalya can win at RI and be salvaged if she returns. otherwise this tribe looks shaky right now. i hope she can stay in and go far.

Freeoh

Freeoh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 7:14 AM

She held her own during the wheelbarrow challenge.

Which reminds me - wasn't there a preview from before the season even began with Probst bleating about how Sophie was dominating a challenge? Must be still to come.

Freeoh

Freeoh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 12:53 AM

And now Sophie seals my allegiance by her utterly mirthless, slack-jawed expression during the screening of Jack and Jill. Everyone else plays along, Coach plays up for screen time yet again, and Sophie sits there looking like she'd rather be back at the shelter splitting coconuts. Beautiful.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

“I think I feel as confident about Cochran flipping over, because Cochran feels if he switches and comes back he’s going to get beat up, which is a legitimate thing for a dodgeball target to be afraid of.”

Thank you Sophie, for being awesome. And the only person who might ever intentionally be funny.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

She's my current favorite of the Upolus (while Dawn's my favorite of the Savaiis). Have liked her ever since she spoke to Coach in Russian way back in week one, but I really love her now.

I'm amazed she can stay sane on a tribe like hers, though.

lovemytvshows

lovemytvshows

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 3:49 AM

I'm hoping either she or Albert wins this thing. Her confessionals are great and she obviously has a good grasp of what's going on within her own tribe and within Savaii.

Good on her for calling Ozzy out on this pathetic display at RI. Someone needs to knock him down a notch.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

Yeah, her reaction to Ozzy's story was hilarious (as was Albert's). I love their little sub-alliance - the only two sane people on a tribe of crazies. I have to say Upolo has kind of grown on me - it's a ragtag bunch of misfits, but they do seem more solid than Savali.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Oh, damn it, Sophie! Why couldn't you have at least vomited after you spit?! You might've taken that challenge!

I just didn't want to see Jim satisfied in any way.

That said, I did like her moment of skepticism with Albert's choice to want to make a big play way too soon.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

Not that it's saying a whole lot with the atrocious casting lately, but Sophie is easily my favorite casting choice since Tocantins.

lovemytvshows

lovemytvshows

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 8:32 AM

Damn that was a close challenge between her and Jim which further proves that Sophie is capable of playing both a strong physical and mental game.

I'm hoping that Sophie makes it through relatively unscathe from the fallout of whatever move Albert's trying to make in next week's episode (unless it's all a great big misdirection from the editing monkeys).

casey22

casey22

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 8:47 AM

I wonder how Sophie likes being the only sane in a sea of crazy? Even Albert is going off the rails.

I thought she was choking during the challenge. scary.

Raguel

Raguel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 8:59 AM

I like her. I like her honest face and the thinking I can see in her eyes.