How To Rock

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

32 replies to this topic

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Decided to start a new thread on this show. Earlier this summer, Nick picked up a new sitcom called How To Rock, based of the book from Alloy Entertainment. The show will star Cymphonique Miller (yes, Master P's daughter/Romeo's younger sister) and will premiere in early 2012. It'll also revolve around a music band as well. source

Edited by Talov, Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:15 PM.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

Cymphonique and Master P Access Hollywood interview

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

With Nick's ratings woes, the last thing they need is a CW-company helping them out.

Hopefully they'll promote this one, but promotion can go far. Look how Bucket and Skinner flopped.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

I think the show might have potential, but we wont know until it premieres.

It'll have to have huge ratings for it's series premiere and the follow up episodes, otherwise I think Nick will treat this show just like the last non Dan Schneider show they had starring a black girl, very badly.

Edited by Talov, Dec 7, 2011 @ 10:53 PM.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

Just a heads up, The show is set to premiere on Feb. 20th

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 2:32 AM

First promo, and the date is now Feb. 4th.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 6:35 PM

Cymphonique and cast's video for "Only You Can Be You"

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Nick is now releasing behind the scenes videos of the show: behind the scenes of "How To Rock"

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

Pilot is on iTunes. It's okay.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Felt it was heavy handed and flat, on every front : writing, acting, directing, casting. Kinda disappointed, cos I like Sam Boscarino, but it was too bland to make me wanna watch another ep. Also, i'm really getting tired of music-based tweencoms, so that didn't help.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

I just saw the episode on Itunes this weekend. I hated the pacing. Everything happened wayyy too fast (perhaps lack of commercial breaks made it seem that way?) .Since they are premiering with two episodes, why not showcase the "popular" Kacey more in the first episode, then her demise in the second? Or are kids shows just supposed to whiz by like that?

They are also seriously singling the hell out of Cymphonique Miller aren't they? I know she's the main character but DAMN. I can feel the other cast members seething while they sit with her in those promos lol.

I like the actress that plays Stevie the best, she seems the most natural. Everyone else is overacting but I'm sure that'll settle down within a few episodes.

I'm also getting tired of the music/acting based shows. I'm sick of the obligatory OMG! ROCK! BAND! TALENT! SHOW!, which is in almost every. single. teen. show. Which is why I do like iCarly because it's a lot fresher with the concept of the web show, and everyone is doing the Youtube thing now, so it fits.

Edited by noluvnoluck, Feb 1, 2012 @ 12:52 PM.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

I'm also getting tired of the music/acting based shows. I'm sick of the obligatory OMG! ROCK! BAND! TALENT! SHOW!, which is in almost every. single. teen. show. Which is why I do like iCarly because it's a lot fresher with the concept of the web show, and everyone is doing the Youtube thing now, so it fits.

But yet, iCarly still has Miranda Cosgrove promoting her music career, having sung on the show, singing the show's theme song, and having a record deal with Nickelodeon that has her releasing albums under her name and the iCarly soundtracks.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Not really the same point, IMO.

On one side, you've got iCarly : not a music-themed show, no heavy emphasis on song, on Cosgrove's career, or any musical number during 90% of episodes. Just absurd comedy, & a web-show.

On the other side, you've got Big Time Rush, How To Rock, Austin & Ally, Victorious, Hannah Montana and even Shake It Up or ANT Farm, where the emphasis is on the talent of the actors, their success & where music or dance are the subject of the shows : in every episode (or so, depending on the show), there's always a minute or two dedicated to the promotion of the lead actor's outside career, with musical or dance numbers.

I miss normal kids, with normal lives, and who dreamt of something else than being an instant superstar.

Edited by Kaoteek, Feb 3, 2012 @ 7:07 PM.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Well, I just finished seeing the pilot and second episode and both were good. Certainly one of the better and funnier shows on Nick or Disney in the past five years. The cast seem to vibe very well and (at least IMO) Cymphonique can not only act but also sing very good.

Also, is it me or does Cymphonique remind anyone of Raven Symone from the "That's So Raven" years? Just a resemblance?

Edited by Talov, Feb 4, 2012 @ 9:46 PM.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

A lot better than Bucket and Skinner, not as good as the Schneider shows. The only problem with the show that I have is that it's pretty paint-by-numbers. Though I did like how Stevie was called out on slamming the popular girls and being above-it-all. Her attitude wasn't a really good one to have, so I'm glad that they pointed out the lower totem pole of the high school food chain can be jerks as well.

Other than that, it's good. All the cast are good actors and have nice chemistry.

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

I got kind of bored in the middle portion and wasn't really paying attention, so did they ever both to explain why she was wearing the glasses? Okay, bad eyesight, but she doesn't wear them later with just the vague explanation of "I didn't need them," which makes you wonder why she was ever wearing them in the first place, particularly if she supposedly had to put them on to read something. Might've made more sense if she had just said she switched to contacts...though why she didn't just do that in the first place seems confusing (and for that matter, why pick out a particularly ugly-looking pair of glasses?). Maybe it's not a big deal...but it does bug me.

As you might have guessed from the first half of my first sentence, I wasn't that enthralled by the pilot. Then again, I didn't like the pilot episode of Victorious that much either, and I like that show (whole reason I watched this one is because it was on right after Victorious), so like Victorious, it might get a lot better.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Yeah, the glasses thing didn't make sense to me either. She could have just worn contacts. I'm sure it's better explained in the book.

Also, are braces and glasses still such a huge stigma in school? It seems like people are going out of their way to wear big nerdy hipster glasses these days. Geek is chic now, no? And now with invisalign, or clear braces, or even smaller metal braces, it's not that big a deal. The premise just seems a bit dated, like something kids had to deal with in the 90s. The whole "my parents lost their jobs during the economy and now I have to wear discount clothing" (but even thrifting is cool now...), while done, is more realistic. Though not as lighthearted I suppose.

I think the show will get better over time. The kids are really cute and I love Cymphonique and her voice.

Edited by noluvnoluck, Feb 5, 2012 @ 1:59 PM.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

A lot better than Bucket and Skinner, not as good as the Schneider shows. The only problem with the show that I have is that it's pretty paint-by-numbers.

That.
Watched the second ep, just to give the show a chance. It felt less heavy-handed than the pilot (even though the fart scene was mind numbing), but somehow, it had a True Jackson VP kind of vibe.

Which probably means the show will never really take off, and end up cancelled after a year or two. Esp. since the 90 seconds song by the band was really nothing to write home about.

Edited by Kaoteek, Feb 5, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

ITA...the first episode was decidedly sledgehammery, while the second was a bit more even-handed and balanced out by a fair amount of zany. (And I had no idea Jim O'Doherty, the guy who created Disney's Kickin' It, was responsible for this show. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet.) That said I thought it overall was cute, with some promise, but not great.

cette1965

cette1965

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Also, is it me or does Cymphonique remind anyone of Raven Symone from the "That's So Raven" years? Just a resemblance?

I agree about the physical resemblance between Cymphonique and Raven Symone, though I feel like Raven was a little better comic actress.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

The ratings came in and HTR premiered to a very well deserved 3.3 million viewers. The 2nd episode was watched by 3.2 million. Not bad.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

The new episode of HTR was good, and a nice message was made too. Kacey was trying too hard to change friends so they would be considered "cool" that she almost ruined the party with her nonsense. Oh and the song that they performed was good too. Cymphonique can sing.

Interesting, that I saw a promo of next week's new episode, and all I can say is................um, "That's So Raven" much?

Edited by Talov, Feb 12, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Interesting, that I saw a promo of next week's new episode, and all I can say is................um, "That's So Raven" much?

I thought the same thing. Is it going to be a Kacey tries to change things for the better but it ends up being bad at the end every episode?

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I wonder when any of the songs are going to be released via a soundtrack. Or does Nick only do that for shows either from Dan Schneider or about a boy band?

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Saw the latest episode randomly. I wonder when they'll get away from the whole "Perf" thing. Are they going to be against them EVERY episode? It would have been better if there were more "Perfs" maybe. Like some guy perfs. Getting sick of only Molly and Grace.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Liked the new episode with Big Time Rush. BTR didn't clog up the screen and there was more focus on the election. I liked how they worked in two plots into one episode. They could've either focused on the fact that Kacey was running for class president against her rival and one of her good friends or the fact that she was trying to get a famous boy band to perform at her school like she promised. They managed to work in both plots.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

New episode is on tonight. A different one than the one Nick was promoting over a week ago, but it's called "How To Rock A Newscast".

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

**Looks Around** So, no one wanted to talk about the new episode from last week?

I thought it was okay and the foam in the mint was a clever prank. I also like how they continue to show the vibe of the band Gravity 5 instead of just making it all about Kacey. This Saturday's new episode looks like it'll be good. And it airs right after the Kids Choice awards.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

The new episode of HTR, "How To Rock A Prank" scored a healthy 4.37 million viewers: source

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:02 AM

I liked "How to Rock a Newscast".

Overall, I think the show needs a new theme other than "Kacey vs. The (mere two) Perfs, and goes against Gravity 5 to realize later that she's been a bad friend." It gets old really quick.