9-10 & 9-11: "8 Chefs Compete/7 Chefs Compete" 2011.08.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

81 replies to this topic

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:21 AM

Go Jennifer! I was cheering when she screamed, "SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!" at Elise.

And Elise shut the hell up... didn't she? She didn't even mouth-off when they went upstairs to the apartment to talk about the elimination nominee.

To me that proves she will only bully the weak, like Carrie. She backs down from people who forcefully give it right back to her.

JMO: Besides the drama factor, GR kept Elise on because she had/has the best palate

I agree with you LennieB! I think GR was totally impressed with how well Elise did on the taste test. The narrator even said, GR thinks a good palate shows a person's potential at being a good chef. He may see something in Elise. Did Natalie get even one flavor right?

I don't mind Natalie leaving. Her recent habit of blaming other people for her own mess-ups and then turning on the waterworks was getting on my last nerve.

Although I did think it was kind of sweet the way all the guys gathered around her to console her during her last crying fest.

chefcatt

chefcatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

Jennifer is now my favorite after she screamed Elise down. Keep it up Jen!

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

I'd love to do a taste test at a party. Has anyone ever done this? I'm always so shocked at some of the replies. Do we depend so verrrry much on our eyes first? What about a whiff before we get the morsel in our mouths?

I realize Crooks is Cliff's last name. I meant that it was pretty funny that he has a moniker that is bad. IOW, it's telling that Cliff is a crook. However, I do realize that's a huuuuuge stretch since he wasn't stealing anything at TC; he was just on a spree to hold someone down while getting his head shaved. I guess it would have been really funny if Cliff's last name was Shaver or Holderdowner.

Mysteris

Mysteris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

I am still reeling at Grr sending home a chef last week who wasn't put up for elimination by her team. Has he done that before?

At least once a season, sometimes more. Alliances and Survivor-style play don't work on HK. Grr sends home who he/the producers want to send home irrespective of whatever the contestants want.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

Go Jennifer! I was cheering when she screamed, "SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!" at Elise.

And Elise shut the hell up... didn't she? She didn't even mouth-off when they went upstairs to the apartment to talk about the elimination nominee.

To me that proves she will only bully the weak, like Carrie. She backs down from people who forcefully give it right back to her.

Most bullies are like that, as I discovered myself in Jr. High School. Never got bullied after that!

Elise may in fact have some talent, but I doubt that Ramsay would ever let her run his kitchen. Her attitude shows a huge lack of professionalism. The best chefs are strong leaders and can even be irascible, but they also have a healthy dose of fairness and likability too. Despite what we see on screen of Gordo. I have heard he is nothing but professional in his kitchens.

Elise would have been eliminated 5 times over already if TPTB had not rescued her for the drama (and to be sous chef to one of the finalists as someone else pointed out).

Re Cliff Crooks - I have known people with that last name before. I worked with a woman with the last name "Outlaw" once. That was funny. She was about as pleasurable to work with as Elise, come to think of it.

Go Jennifer! She became my hero when she told Elise to shut up. I've been waiting for someone to do that that for several shows already! Interesting that they make us wait so long for it. I almost think they might be starting Jen on a bit of a winner's edit. I hope, anyway!

I do have to say that this will likely be my first and last season watching this mess. I can't stomach a show with that much obvious manufactured drama and unfairness in the eliminations. I was forced to endure enough people like Elise in my childhood, I don't need to churn my stomach watching them again when I could just as easily press a button and get rid of them.

ShadowDancer

ShadowDancer

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 11:43 AM

How disappointing. When the red team won the challenge and Ramsay announced they would be going to the beach, I was looking forward to gratuitous shots of Elizabeth and Elise strutting around in their bikinis. Instead I was forced to watch what was probably the worst challenge reward in history.
Damn you editors!!!

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

Just chiming in to say this is really the worst season of HK...I can't think of a weaker bunch of chefs in the top 8/7. How are the chefs still not completing dinner service on a regular basis (without GR and the sous chef pitching in) and how is GR kicking people out of the kitchen at this stage in the game?!

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

Instead I was forced to watch what was probably the worst challenge reward in history.

Yep... that was THE.WORST.PRIZE.EVER!!!

I think poor Jennifer was forced to do it too.. because I seriously have trouble believing she did that shit voluntarily.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:05 PM

Go Jennifer! I loved it when she told Elise off. Jennifer seems to have some fair cooking chops too, so that's positive.

The palate test always floors me with how many the chefs get wrong. But, a lot of them smoke and I would think that would affect the palate somewhat.

And for those who need more Elise....

And Elise wrote, "This season starring 'mwah'." Thinking she means "moi?"

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

And for those who need more Elise.... :-)

She really is delusional. Chef extraordinaire?? Who is she kidding. I can't wait for her to get the boot.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 1:05 PM

Perhaps mwah is an acronym for "Me Whom All Hate" They're going to do a movie about Tommy starring Jake Gyllenhaal titled "The Sauce Code" All attendees get a free neck tattoo.

I thought it was classy of Elise to applaud Carrie when she got booted like the others did...oh wait. Carrie showed oodles more class by acknowledging Elise's effective pallette. I hope Elise was watching and felt bad about her behavior.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

When the red team left the kitchen to get ready for the beach, one of them (I think it's Elise) said "I have to shave my legs" and I shuddered, thinking the voyeur-cam would treat us to that. Thankfully, good taste prevailed.

Yesterday, Jennifer was clearly portrayed as one the hardest working and most professional in the whole bunch, but they also highlighted her streak of indecision, although that may have been exaggerated by editing together bits from various moments. That trait might be her undoing in the end because it shows a certain lack of leadership skills (even though the prized executive chef position is a sham).

From what they showed of the beach visit, it seemed disappointing but I suppose getting outside in the sun and being spared the punishment is reward enough. Plus, they must have spent a long time on the beach and it was not kept the final edit.

Edited by MGaboriau, Aug 23, 2011 @ 1:28 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

When the girls went on the horse reward I don't think Jennifer was actually on a horse. When they were going I was wondering if she could really ride a horse at her size, I can't imagine it would be pleasant for the horse OR her. They never showed her mounting a horse and I didn't see her in the long shots. They must have taken her up in an ATV or something. I wonder if they had done that with one of the guys if they would have made a big deal out of it, rather than politely ignoring it.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

Just chiming in to say this is really the worst season of HK...I can't think of a weaker bunch of chefs in the top 8/7.

This crop is WAAAY better than last season's. When it came down to Nona and Russell, I was hoping that Gordon would just say "Really? This is it? Forget it, I'm choosing no one." At least I have confidence in Will and Paul as well as Jennifer. I know those three can actually cook and lead so it's just a matter of time till we trim the fat.

I can't wait to see what the next challenge reward is next. "You all win a trip...to your backyard!" That trip to New York was pretty awesome though. Maybe that's where they spent all the money.

Edited by niklj, Aug 23, 2011 @ 3:13 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Jennifer is now my favorite after she screamed Elise down. Keep it up Jen!

Yeah, you probably saved Elise from elimination. Way to go Angry Jen. More rants like that.

Elise FTW!!

KAT from LA

KAT from LA

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

I don't eat fish, so do anchovies really taste different than other fish? The broccoli/cauliflower I'm willing to give a pass on as they're basically the same plant.

Yes they do. Anchovies are canned in a salt brine and are very oily. To me there's a big difference between broccoli and cauliflower. I love cauliflower and broccoli is nowhere near my favorite veggie.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 3:35 PM

I must again complement the graphics designers for "Hell's Kitchen". Why can't other reality shows have this level of effort and production on theirs? (I'm looking at you, Top Chef)

And will the winner of this put Cliff out of a job?

KAT from LA

KAT from LA

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 4:00 PM

Living in L.A. I notice a lot of stuff that is said on the show that cannot be true. Last night it was while they were up in the Hollywood Hills and I think Elise said, "I can see Hell's Kitchen." No Elise, that wasn't Hell's Kitchen. Hell's Kitchen is miles away in Culver City and it's in a low building in an area with lots of trees. If there was even a chance you could see it from there, someone would have to spend 10 minutes trying to point it out to you.

That so called reward that involved a trip to the beach and the hamster torture treatment sucked but I was really hoping that Jen would come out of the ball and vomit on Elise. Oh well, one can always dream.

bgirldeb

bgirldeb

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

When the girls went on the horse reward I don't think Jennifer was actually on a horse. When they were going I was wondering if she could really ride a horse at her size, I can't imagine it would be pleasant for the horse OR her. They never showed her mounting a horse and I didn't see her in the long shots. They must have taken her up in an ATV or something. I wonder if they had done that with one of the guys if they would have made a big deal out of it, rather than politely ignoring it.

Yeah, we were looking for her, and they did not show her on a horse. She magically appeared up at the top.

I felt sorry for Jennifer this episode. With both of the rewards, when they announced them, she didn't look very thrilled about them. I can't believe she got in one of people size hamster balls. How humiliating!

rlb8031

rlb8031

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

Natalie SHOULD NOT HAVE GONE HOME LAST NIGHT!!! I think the show had already decided she was going home and threw a wrench into the works. First, only Natalie had a dish in the Challenge GR did not like? (and the show is SOOO SCRIPTED! The way the dishes were tasted in the Challenge-Jennifer, the winner was LAST and her dish was just a 'little' better then Will's(?) who presented HIS right before HER! Elise 'made' a Chinese 'dish' (never did one before and looked it) that looked like something that came from American Chinese Take out. And GR liked it??? BULL!!!

I actually thought that Natalie managed to squeak by in this particular challenge because of the format. She didn't do a Jamaican dish at all, but did a Jalapeno pepper spiced dish. Jamacian jerk is a very particular blend of spices including black pepper, allspice and nutmeg as the three basics along with garlic, salt and other spices thrown in. Just making a dish hot doesn't make it Jamaican. Even if she had tried for a pepper dish, she should have done a blend of peppers and gone with a Scotch Bonnet as her hot pepper. Doing a Jalapeno pepper was basically the wrong seasoning. Grr never got to the description of the dish because she loaded so much pepper on it, but in a "make a Jamaican dish" head-to-head she would have definitely lost.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 5:30 PM

I used to ride a lot and at one time in my life I weighed a ton (well, not literally a ton, but rather 360 pounds) and when I went riding at that weight they would have me ride a mule while the others in my party were on a horse. Apparently mules can handle that weight, so perhaps Jennifer rode a mule.

I don't know her weight, but after I got under 300 pounds I could ride a regular (well, a big) horse.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 5:38 PM

I felt sorry for Jennifer this episode. With both of the rewards, when they announced them, she didn't look very thrilled about them.

As a plus-sized girl myself, I have been rooting for Jennifer all season because she not only seems to have some talent, and it's just always nice to see someone who looks like me on a non-weight loss show.

But man, I have felt for her all season, with all these shitty (for a fat person anyway) "rewards". They didn't have a jumpsuit that would fit her to ride go-carts and she could barely fit into her little car. Then her harness fell off during her zorb ride. And they wouldn't even let her ride a horse. To answer the question about that, I think most stables have weight limits. It's very silly actually, most horses can handle quite a heavy load, but stables that do tourist-type rides will tend to balk at those who weigh upwards of 300 lb, for liability reasons.

It really sucks for her, I felt so bad for her when they could barely push her around in the ball.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 7:59 PM

But man, I have felt for her all season, with all these shitty (for a fat person anyway) "rewards".

Actually, most of the rewards the red team has won suck regardless of your weight. Go-karts? Riding in a convertible and then going to a (daytime) comedy show? Getting rolled around in a hamster ball? I mean, some of it might be a little fun, but those are hardly big rewards for winning a challenge.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

Did anyone else get a kick out of James during the hamster ball thing? He runs like a girl and looked like he was afraid of breaking a nail when he was pushing the ball.

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

So there's 6 left and Will hasn't had bad service yet or even a bad comment during service. Not one bad comment thru 12(?) services. Now it could be editing, but either way that's remarkable.

I due wish though that instead of the "Team" always picking the bottom 2 or 1, they would go back to picking out the best performer to make the call.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

I agree, when they showed the line of horses going up, I didn't think Jennifer was there. I recall a previous season where one guy was excluded from some of the rewards because of his size, but it was on camera, and he basically missed out on one entire reward because of it.
That hamster-ball thin looked stupid. I saw it on Amazing Race, and it looked pretty fun, but it was on grass, and the ball went around some fields and down a hill. This one looked like, once the person was inside the zorb, others had to push it around on a giant plastic tarp. Stupid, lame-ass rewards this season.

Advil

Advil

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

That was messed up. Poor Natalie.

The blue team of Will, Natalie, Paul and Tommy is my favorite team, ever (event hough Tommy should be gone by now). They are just so adorable. Their pealing of the grapes actually seemed more enjoyable then having to be with the red team on a reward. Also the way the gathered around Natalie when she was upset? Awesome.

I am rooting for a Will/Paul/Jen final three, with any combination in the final two.

Also Elise is the worst. I am surprised GR let both Elise and Tommy slide in to the top 6. Traditionally isn't there only one dud that makes it that far?

Edited by Advil, Aug 23, 2011 @ 10:52 PM.

Lambsendbeds

Lambsendbeds

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

JMO: Besides the drama factor, GR kept Elise on because she had/has the best palate.

She got 2 out of 4. Yes, that's double the number of any other contestant but IMO it doesn't give her the vastly superior palate she bragged about. I did have to give props to Carrie for giving Elise credit after the foul way Elise treated her. This is my first season of HK so I was curious that none of them smelled the food before they tasted it. Is that not allowed? Of course GRR was kind of shoving it into their mouths so maybe I've answered my own question......

I was surprised at how far off some of the answers were. And the expressions on the faces of just about everyone when the item was first tasted were too funny. I thought they were going to spit some things out - like the sour cream.

And for those who need more Elise

When I followed that link I misread the header and thought it said "Elise Wins!!!" I thought WTF...that should have been in spoiler bars! And the winner wasn't allowed to talk about it until after the finale aired...then I re- read and went "duhhh..."

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 1:27 AM

Yep... that was THE.WORST.PRIZE.EVER!!!

I think poor Jennifer was forced to do it too.. because I seriously have trouble believing she did that shit voluntarily.

I saw her grimace just briefly when they announced the prize. Mercifully, the camera didn't linger too long on the others slowly pushing Jennifer inside the zorb thing, but still, what a mortifying thing for her.

I, too, would love to re-create the blind-folded taste test. I have to think a lot of people would fail it if these cooks do.

I can recall GR throwing people off for lying before, just on principle. So why not throw off Elise for her lie about Tommy and the Beef Wellington? I am sure he was made aware of what happened. Keeping her on is just for drama. I wish he wouldn't even bother to have them vote on who to send up to be eliminated if he's just going to ignore that altogether.

lisah25

lisah25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 8:37 AM

I can recall GR throwing people off for lying before, just on principle. So why not throw off Elise for her lie about Tommy and the Beef Wellington?

Exactly. The show has made the point that lying to GR is the worst thing you can do. And in this case, she not only lied, but tried to blame someone else for her mistakes. It's one thing to lie about throwing away a piece of fish when you just reheated it as we saw earlier, but this was worse IMHO.

And that face when Carrie left. I've never seen such an odd combination of someone thinking they are superior while sucking on lemons before...