4-9: "Let's Get Out of Here" 2011.08.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

292 replies to this topic

ReganII

ReganII

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

Oh gosh. I hope Hoyt wouldn't sink so low. I don't think he wants her dead. *fingers crossed*

I think we already know the answer to your question though. That vamp earlier in the season was sentenced to the true death for getting caught on film, even though the girl was clearly enjoying herself and only acted distressed when the camera was on her. Entrapment doesn't seem to matter to King Bill.

The edict against being caught on film makes sense to me; even with a seemingly willing donor, you'd have anti-vampire activists insisting that the person was a victim, and that they were glamoured into complying, not to mention people who consent and then insist that they didn't. Footage can also be edited to make it look like an attack rather than consensual feeding.

I hope that there isn't the same penalty for a vampire who isn't caught on film but whose donor later claims to have been a victim.

Edited by ReganII, Aug 25, 2011 @ 6:24 PM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 8:39 PM

If having sex with two people in your entire life + having sex dreams = being a slut, is it at all likely there's a single character who isn't one? I guess it's theoretically possible for some about whom we know less, but really only in theory. People have sex, people have sex dreams, these are just normal things.

There's something about this episode. I thought it was a hot mess on first seeing it, but I keep getting the urge to view it again! I think it's because of the suspense... a whole lot of different disasters are being set up for us, like dominos, and it's kind of fun to look again and guess at which way they might fall.

Although I am fast-forwarding through Sookie's ridiculous speech, and most of Lafayette/Mavis. Once for each of those was enough for me, despite that I found the Mavis conclusion surprisingly moving.

On a thoroughly superficial note, harking back to the earlier shoe talk, I think strappy sandals, in silver or gold, would be best with that little red silk robe. Why on earth they chose a black closed-toe pump is beyond me.

I missed Pam.

Edited by HelenBack, Aug 25, 2011 @ 8:50 PM.

pollybug

pollybug

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:10 AM

She is however, beginning to display a rather callous attitude towards anyone but Eric at the moment. I don’t care who she thought rescued her, she was shot. She woke up miraculously healed and should have thanked Bill and Alcide before asking about Eric. The Sookie of seasons 1 and 2 seemed to care a little, not a lot, more about her friends.

Nah, Sookie has always had blinders on when Bill was missing/in danger/whathaveyou. Remember when he went missing last season and for two episodes all she did was run around brow beating everyone with "BEEL BEEL BEEEEEEEEEL!"? It is the way they write the character. And that was on the night that Eggs was killed as well.

She is completely myopic.

KatVamp

KatVamp

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

I never even gave a second thought to Sookie dreaming about both Eric and Bill. It was a V induced dream. Besides I imagine there are plenty of women who dream about Eric, Bill, Alcide, Jason, Sam, etc., without any V needed.

What I noticed most about Sookie’s dream was that Eric and Bill showed up in daylight. Real Eric showed up at Sookie’s front door in the middle of the day not worrying about the sun at all.

Thesmith

Thesmith

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:53 AM

I don’t care who she thought rescued her, she was shot. She woke up miraculously healed and should have thanked Bill and Alcide before asking about Eric.

Seriously, when do courtesies come before knowing the fate of a missing loved one? I think the reason this seemed off was because of how calm she was.

Here's how I would have written it:

Sookie wakes up sort of calm for a moment, then remembers what happened - freaks, where's Eric? Where's Tara? Bill tells here Tara is fine. Where's Eric?! Alcide has the same fit he had in the scene, but Sookie yells back at him about how Debbie has damaged his life and the life of his loved ones but he'd sure as hell be looking for her. Alcide leaves.

Sookie insists on looking for Eric herself. Bill goes with her. She finds the remains of the vamp Tara shot (who was that anyway?) and freaks again. Bill holds up some object from the remains - I don't know, a black ponytail or some amusing thing previously set up - and says something like, "It's not Eric. It's the deputy from Area 3" (at some point there would DEFINITELY be a scene with the sheriff of area 3 with Bill offering his condolences and maybe handing the sheriff the deputy's ponytail). She cries. Bill holds her, consoles her, personally promises he will find Eric and no harm will come to him, which is ironic since Eric is coming to kill him.

Bill takes Sookie home to rest. She dreams about Bill. In the dream, Eric shows up and is like wow, I'm godric knows where and this is how you react? Sookie dives on him, they begin to make out, and Bill is like wow, really? Then she can have her talk about them being hers. They start their threesome, but after a moment, it's only Bill. She realizes it. Where's Eric? She wakes up, urgency intact.

Edited by Thesmith, Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:54 AM.

nonshan

nonshan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

I like this *points up*. I like it a lot.

tgray

tgray

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

The creepiest part for me was that Sam got naked, turned himself into a rabbit and was petted by Emma. Because, you know, she was petting a naked man. Sitting on her lap.

I don't think that was creepy. He was trying to make her happy (and wasn't being sexual about it). If anything was creepy about that part it was what going through the writer's head when he wrote the line (for a CHILD!!!) "I wish I could be a shifter, so I can shift into a bunny and pet myself."

It was creepy to me because everyone's mind went immediately into the gutter.

Cheapseats

Cheapseats

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:TV of course! Movies, Internet, decorating, shopping, DIY.

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

I don't think that was creepy. He was trying to make her happy (and wasn't being sexual about it). If anything was creepy about that part it was what going through the writer's head when he wrote the line (for a CHILD!!!) "I wish I could be a shifter, so I can shift into a bunny and pet myself."

It was creepy to me because everyone's mind went immediately into the gutter.

Word on this, tgray. I thought Sam was so endearing when he did that! One of the reasons he's my favorite; he thinks about other people and their feelings.

Thesmith

Thesmith

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

I like this *points up*. I like it a lot.

Thanks, and you know what? It wasn't hard to come up with, such easy fixes. There was nothing wrong with the main story beats of this episode. They were just very poorly fleshed out. It was like the TB crew shot a dress rehearsal from a rough draft of an outline and made a bunch of shit up as they went along. Then, everyone was down with the flu for two weeks, and it was too late to rewrite and do it for real.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 1:33 PM

It was like the TB crew shot a dress rehearsal from a rough draft of an outline and made a bunch of shit up as they went along. Then, everyone was down with the flu for two weeks, and it was too late to rewrite and do it for real.

Very well put!

Good thing the cast is so gifted. They almost saved it.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

I've deleted (or tried to delete) the Slut Debate posts. It was all about trying to act like a troll, talking about the boards or lecturing each other. Nothing good came of it, so it's gone.

poseurlady

poseurlady

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

because I really miss that Sookie, who had interests, friends, family...you know, other stuff besides sex. Last night when Bill said "this isn't you" I think he nailed it absolutely.

I think that this statement from Bill sums up the whole E/S lame love s/l to a T. The Sookie Stackhouse of True Blood wound never fall in love with Eric, amnesia or no amnesia. It was done for the bookies.

IMO, this is where the wheels started to fall off of TB this season with the forced "twu wuv" between E/S. It rang false, was played out so badly in regards to the sex and the post-coitol talks, the mommy/son vibe was creepy. It made both characters devolve into pathetic characters. Caroonish and lame are what come to mind when I think about this whole mess.

I still would not be surprised to find out that AB and the writers did this on purpose, what else could account for the big fail of the whole plot.

So now let's get Eric and Sookie back to where they shine in the show, as antagonists, forget the triangle love stories and let Eric be who he was before he was emasculated.

Speaking of Eric, BAMF Eric was back? I didn't see BAMF Eric in the dream sequence, during the dream sequence Eric seemed uncomfortable while Bill seemed right at home. And next to AP and even SM, AS looks like the Jolly Green giant. And please, who in the hell wears those low cut shirts, where did he get those at? Victoria's Secret? I was expecting to see cleavage with that shirt. Eric looked silly in it.

And I agree with all the posters who drooled over Alcide, JM has a gorgeous body. When we saw Eric's backside there was a tiny bit of jiggle, not with Alcide, that butt was so tight coins could be flipped off of it. More naked Alcide please, and also I love that he has a good heart, but he wasted his time on Sookie, he should have stayed home with Debbie.

I'd love to see more of King Bill and I hope that he keeps his throne.

WORD.

As someone who loved the Bill/Sookie hookup, I think it's time Bill tells Sookie, "sayonara" and gets himself another love interest until Sookie gets her act together, which may take quite a while. Bill has grown this season, Sookie has not, in fact I would not be surprised if something happened to her in Fae to make her so stupid when it came to AE.

ReganII

ReganII

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

As someone who loved the Bill/Sookie hookup, I think it's time Bill tells Sookie, "sayonara" and gets himself another love interest until Sookie gets her act together, which may take quite a while. Bill has grown this season, Sookie has not, in fact I would not be surprised if something happened to her in Fae to make her so stupid when it came to AE.

One blessing about Bill's Sookie-free year is that he definitely seems to have bonded with Jessica more and, even if Bill isn't paired off with somebody else romantically, his connection with Jessica still gives him plenty of scope for growth. Jessica needs support and guidance as she decides what she wants out of her life (undeath?) and Bill needs to experience a positive maker-progeny relationship, after his experience with Lorena. Jessica is also potentially an invaluable lieutenant, when she's a little older and wiser; as Eric once said, the only vampire a vampire can trust is one he made.

Being King also suits him and, despite the hostility towards vampires in the post-Russell Edgington world, Bill still manages to have the respect of the community. I'm sure his philantropy has helped ensure that he is accepted but he seems quite adept at winning the respect of humans who might hate all other vampires, which is impressive.

DoctorDogBoy

DoctorDogBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

So now let's get Eric and Sookie back to where they shine in the show, as antagonists, forget the triangle love stories and let Eric be who he was before he was emasculated.

No offense, but when have they ever been antagonists? The only time they were even remotely was when Sookie BELIEVED Eric was a lying, manipulative psycho who was holding Bill's leash. The problem is that Eric NEVER held Bill's leash. Eric was well aware the entire time that Bill was working for Sophie-Ann and was badly manhandling and misusing Sookie.

Sanely, Sookie would NEVER be with either Bill OR Eric. Book Sookie was smart enough to leave any relationship that smacked of abuse.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

I'll take it to the Relationships thread.

debdebmustard

debdebmustard

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 5:57 AM

eeowyn...you were asking why the sister vamp from the tolerance fest was so familiar! I am so horrible with the quotes, but I was just watching Game of Thrones and I think your sister vamp is one of Tyrion Lannister's lovers!

Hollyoak

Hollyoak

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

This show is so over the top now--the acting, the storylines, the dialogue--it's only entertaining to watch because of its melodramatic nonsense.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 12:48 PM

Katie Eischen on Game of Thrones? Could be, though I'd think she'd have that listed on her IMDb page. I sure would if I'd been one of Tyrion Lannister's hookers! I think maybe she's just appeared enough times in small roles that she's getting to be one of those, "Hey, It's That Girl!" (HITG) kinda faces. And then there is that resemblance to Heather McComb, too.

Someone mentioned upthread (sorry I forgot the screen name) wondering how Marnie feels about having been taken over like this, and whether or not she's aware. I'm curious about that too. Also, Antonia doesn't seem at all concerned with taking care of Marnie's body; we haven't seen her feed it, water it, or give it any rest that I can recall. I'm starting to wonder if maybe Marnie is actually dead. Antonia's a necromancer, right? So... maybe.

Which, eeeewwwwww.

K42

K42

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Marnie is actually dead. Antonia's a necromancer, right? So... maybe. Which, eeeewwwwww.

It's not so weird actually, within a lot of fantasy lores powerful necromancers turn themselves into undead creatures. They're usually called a "lich". Not thinking this will be the case, though. I think Antonia should be actually enjoying being alive/corporeal again.
I just stumbled into the casting call for Marnie: "a Z-list palm reader who’s painfully aware of what a joke she is — that is, until, she comes to be possessed by the spirit of a real witch." Well, in the end, the Z-list angle hasn't been pursued too much I reckon. She was able to bring that birdie back, which can be very little for a true necromancer, but still huge for the common palm reader. Also, she's a legit medium or Antonia would have not been able to possess her, and she was able to contact Sookie's gran by herself, so that's not too much of a Z-list in my book.

So, 3 episodes from season finale we have 4 distinct groups of characters/storylines, and they're almost all satellites of the main one, being the vamp/witch war.

Plot A: Antonia's Revenge. Featuring 4 of the 6 leads (the 6 first-billed actors in the credits, before the list starts going alphabetical): Sookie, Bill, Eric, Tara. Also featuring 4 regulars: Holly, Pam, Nan, and obviously Marnie. It's the main course of the banquet, by the end it will hopefully attract everything else in the same way as the Maryann plot did in S2. Every character not featured here is currently aware of the plot, except (unbelievable!) Sam.

Plot B: Mavis's Tragedy. Featuring no lead (except briefly Jason), but 5 regulars: Lafayette, Jesus, Terry, Arlene, Andy. It started as "Lafayette's Medium Training". Solved, it allows Lafayette and Jesus to converge into plot A. It seems it was actually all about giving Laf & Jesus's ghostbuster team a baptism of fire. Hopefully, Terry & Arlene will get to rest now, while Andy's addiction subplot might be featured again in the background.

Plot C: The Troubles with Weres. Featuring 1 lead, Sam. Also featuring 4 regulars: Luna, Alcide, Debbie, Tommy. It started disjointed, now it's centered on Sam being with Luna, aka Marcus's ex, plus Marcus enlisting Alcide, plus Alcide having relationship troubles with Debbie, plus Debbie doing an odd couple routine with Sookie, plus Tommy throwing his skinwalker trick on everyone. Alcide could be the key to bring Sam and whatnot to plot A. Debbie has been already there, if accidentally.

Plot D: Jessica loves Jason. Featuring 1 lead, Jason. Also featuring 2 regulars: Jessica and Hoyt. After a slow start while getting rid of the Hotshot storyline residual from S3, Jason seems now flexible enough to jump through plots. Jessica is already part of plot A, being Bill's "daughter". Hoyt might not have a role other than the broken ex-BF & ex-BFF.

So, in the end, I don't complain too much about this season's structure. It's heaven compared to last year's, when in the end most of the characters didn't know anything about each other's stories (how many of them actually realized there was a 3,000-year old vampire king in Bon Temps?). Some of the subplots still dragged too much (the Hotshot situation, the Mexico trip), or were totally filler-ish (Andy's date with Holly; the whole Portia's shenanigan), but in the end at least we had big chunks of the cast always together, and converging.

Edited by K42, Aug 27, 2011 @ 5:14 PM.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2011 @ 6:54 AM

I actually wasn't a particular fan of the Mavis/Lafayette storyline. (I haven't been to TWoP because I didn't want the plot ruined so I didn't even know that Lafayette was popular or that he was supposed to be dead a long time ago.) While the Mavis storyline certainly wraps up Terry and Arlene's arc, it really doesn't relate with why Jesus and Lafayette went to Mexico in the first place: to protect themselves from vampires. Also, disturbing seeing Nelson as a mother. Not a fan.

The Sam and Luna storyline was very, very stale. There was nothing interesting about it. bleh. -.-

Unlike most posters, I actually feel the Antonia storyline was quite good. It kept me on the edge of my seat and, to me, was much better than the first and second season plots. Consider this. Before last season, the main story arcs barely touched on vampires. True Blood does not take very effective use of its characters supernatural status. It's also nice to see vampires on the hotseat for once. So far, vampires have been portrayed to be near invincible and there needs to be some balance in the True Blood universe.

K42

K42

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2011 @ 12:17 AM

So far, vampires have been portrayed to be near invincible

Well, actually, they were all pretty powerless before Maryann. They got closer to be wiped away (if Maryann was interested in doing so, which she wasn't) than with Russell. It was just the combination of Sophie-Anne's arcane knowledge (too bad they didn't tap into that angle of her anymore after that) and the heroic shifter-ness of Sam that saved the day. Bill devising and executing the plan was just him being a clever guy, not him being an (allegedly) invincible vampire.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

I'm wondering what you think about Alcide going to rescue Sookie in the fight with the witches. It's my main problem with him this season. In general, I think he's a nice guy and a bit of a doormat. But he looked straight at Debbie her that he was going to stay away from Sookie, only to immediately go after her. If he's really such a great guy, why do that?

My thoughts are that while Alcide shouldn't have made that promise to Debbie, Debbie shouldn't have asked him to in the first place. Debbie chose to back Alcide into a corner by resorting to emotional blackmail re his friendship with Sookie. Debbie has no right to get on Alcide's case about honesty or recklessness where Sookie's life is concerned when, unbeknownst to Sookie, the mind-reader, Debbie was stoned when they went to the Moon Goddess, endangering her own life and Sookie's in the process. Alcide's rescuing Sookie may have been impulsive, but at least he wasn't high at the time. Debbie could have ended things with Alcide again a long time ago, but she chose to build her whole life, including her sobriety, around him and now that Debbie's using again, she'll try to blame Alcide and/or Sookie for it. I'm convinced that it's not Alcide who's more obsessed with Sookie-it's Debbie. She's made herself over to look like Sookie, she talks about Sookie as much as Alcide does, if not more and it was Debbie, not Alcide, who referred to Sookie when she was having sex with Alcide. If Debbie was such a great girl, she wouldn't lie to herself or Alcide and end it once and for all.

Alcide saves [Sookie's] life and he doesn't even get a "thank you?"

Well, except he didn't. He wasn't going to ask a vampire for help, and she was barely in the condition to be brought back by healing magic (something the werewolves aren't famous for), so he was just carrying her to her doom before Bill, who already knew she was in danger the instant she was, took from there.

Gotta disagree. Sookie was in danger, she had just been shot and the hospital was too far away. Bill may have technically saved Sookie, but if Alcide hadn't found her first, then she might have been hurt even worse, if not killed altogether.

I was really hoping when Hoyt woke up, he would realize he was an ass to Jessica. Yes, she hurt him, but in my mind, he went over a line, and I was really disappointed when he didn't change his tune. I think he's been bibied his whole life by his mother, and doesn't know how to handle not being taken care of by, and receiving affection from, a woman. He's not so symapthetic to me anymore. I loved Jessica and Hoyt, and I understand the crative need to give them new storylines, but I don't love how they did it here.

Re the breakup, my question is, why should Hoyt have to change? He's the victim here. Everything Hoyt said to Jessica was true, if cruel. Hoyt was always honest with Jessica, for better and for worse; Jessica otoh, lied to Hoyt time and time again, whether he knew it or not. If Hoyt only wanted a girl who was just like his mama, he would still be with Summer. Jessica isn't a woman because in my mind, being a woman involves a level of emotional maturity that Jessica sorely lacks. Instead of mourning what she lost with Hoyt, Jessica hopped on the first dick smoking, which just happened to belong to Jason, his so-called "best friend." It seems to me that if Jessica had really loved Hoyt, then she wouldn't have fantasized him as a pathetic loser who couldn't live without her, whom she ended up killing moments later. If that's how Jessica sees Hoyt, then he's better off without her. That Jessica would betray Hoyt, a man whom she claimed to love, so soon after their split and with his best friend, at that, says much worse about them than Hoyt.

Edited by DollEyes, Sep 3, 2011 @ 10:52 AM.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

The recap for this episode is totally awesome. I'm trying to read it in the middle of the night without waking my partner, almost impossible, due to laughing. Brilliant.