10-Year Rewatch: TAR18 (Unfinished Business): A Most Pleasant Surprise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

29 replies to this topic

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 2:19 AM

I'll explain the title later in this post.

Okay. We're finally here. We've reached the final season (thus far -- still more are coming, but those aren't part of this Rewatch), and it's time to review it.

This time, let's get the bad out of the way. The route wasn't exactly the best. Sure, there were some gems, such as the fact that it was one of the rare seasons to have a westerly route, we visited Australia for the first time since TAR9, we got to see the beautiful Swiss countryside, and for the first time ever, the penultimate leg was in a South American country. Also, we got to see a new country, Liechtenstein. But other than this, it was several repeat visits, including visits to the two most maligned countries on the show -- China and India. Also, too much time in Asia. Five whole legs (one in Japan, two each in China and India).

One other "bad" that I'll address, but I don't personally think it's bad, is the amping up of answer-sharing. But really, I think it was only complained about because everyone's pwecious widdle Cowboys got ousted in part because of it. Any other team who got booted from it, no one would've batted an eye.

But that's really all the bad that I could see, so let's move on to the good and reveal the reason behind the thread title.

First and foremost, the cast. Many, many people thought this season would suck based on the selected returning teams. A whopping FIVE of them were from TAR14, and some of them weren't exactly the most popular of teams. Other not-well-liked teams returned, as well. And though it was understandable, not a single team from TAR13 turned up. However, I had no problem with the cast for the most part. Of the eleven teams, ten were memorable, and each had fan bases. Plus, the one WTF team in the cast (Amanda & Kris) ended up getting booted first. Then, the semi-WTF casting choice (Mel & Mike) left second, officially giving us a race. What perhaps made this season especially surprising was the entire F5 being made up of teams who'd never previously made it to the F3 (and two of them would, of course, fail to do so again, but still . . .). And in the end, four greatly-liked teams made up the F4, and the resulting F3 was probably one of the most unexpected ones in recent seasons.

Personally, I actually liked ten out of eleven of the teams, and that was every team but the highly-overrated Jet & Cord, whose F6 ouster I was thrilled to see. (Yeah, I even liked Amanda & Kris in spite of their questionable casting.)

There seemed to be a nice sense of camaraderie among the teams, too, and it was especially shown with the surprise basketball game in China that everyone got involved in, in some way. Also, the fakeout for where the clue box was in India.

Despite the bad route, there turned out to be some amazing tasks, such as the Roadblock on leg one, the Detour on leg two, the mercury/bismuth clue on leg two, the Detour on leg three, the Roadblock on leg three, the Roadblock on leg four, the Detour on leg five, the Roadblock on leg five, the Detour on leg six, the Roadblock on leg nine (not for the answer-sharing, but for being the first full task to use a whole country!), the Detour on leg nine, the Roadblock on leg eleven, the Detour on leg eleven, and both Roadblocks on leg twelve. Obviously, there were some clunkers, like running around in kangaroo suits on leg two, the all-too-easy chimney sweep Roadblock on leg eight, and the chocolate gnome Roadblock on leg ten, but on the whole, the tasks seem to measure up surprisingly nicely.

In the end, we got a winning team who pulled a feat similar to the truly odious winners of All-Stars when Kisha & Jen similarly only managed to win the final leg after they reached it, but that's okay. They became the second all-female team to win, making back-to-back women's teams the winners of the last two (aired) seasons. I have to think that their win was even more impressive than Nat & Kat's, though, given that this season's course was much harder than TAR17's.

All in all, there were some not-so-good elements, but frankly, I was happy enough with most of the good things, so I can overlook it. 9/10.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

Yawn.

No, seriously, "yawn" is about as much enthusiasm as I can muster for this snoozer of a season. Bad route; dull and gimmicky cast; lame task design; lack of competitivity; over-the-top editing... it was all on show. I can count the number of enjoyable tasks this season on one hand: The four Detours in China (minus the dull Hammer option in Lijiang), the dinosaur task, and the Liechtenstein Road Block. Considering three of the five happen in the space of two episodes, that's... really not a ringing endorsement.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:56 AM

I'm not really a fan of All-Stars seasons to be honest, especially the current trend for "this usually white, usually straight man didn't win like he was supposed to, so we're just going to play again until he does" seasons that seems to be sweeping US reality tv. I thought this one was better than TAR11 by far, although following Jaime/Cara's elimination the amount of screentime people got seemed to be inversely proportionaly to where they wound up finishing in the race, which was a bit of an odd choice, and the childishness of most of the teams that did make the Top 8 got tiring after a while. Although I do like that the Top 8 were so competitive and that, Kynt & Vyxsin (who are forgiven a lot of shit for "OH NO! A DOOR!") aside, they weren't really any bottom feeders.

I do think the editors missed a trick with Kisha & Jen in terms of "Unfinished Business" - they spent a lot of TAR 14 bickering, with really poor communication skills between the two of them, and Jen being an untractable grump a lot of the time, and then they come back a much more efficient, cohesive, savvy team, and their redemption storyline was... some BS involving not peeing yourself. Which I guess just shows the immaturity of the season as a whole. Although they also missed a trick by rarely, if ever, showing them at all. Which was a bit odd given that they were winners. I know that the Cowboys or Mallory or Zev & Justin were probably supposed to win, but...you cast them. Poor Kisha & Jen getting spoiled for TAR 17 by having Phil not yell "YOU WON DESPITE BEING GIRLS, HISTORY IS MADE!" at them every 5 seconds as well.

The route was a bit "TARs Greatest Hits", which would be annoying in a normal season, but which made an odd amount of sense for an All-Stars season. You either go there or "really 'hard' obscure countries" and I think after the mess of TAR11s route they were smart not to risk it.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 6:05 AM

I didn't agree with a lot of the casting this season - the over-hyped Cowboys? Ugh. The quitter Globetrotters? but I did find it an enjoyable one on the whole, and agreed with the casting of most of the rest of the teams, even if, much as they were likeable, Mel & Mike were really not fit for participating in the race. Of all the parent-child teams who could have been invited back, they were a poor choice IMO.

I would complain about the largely forgettable Amanda & Kris coming back, but we did get to see Kris with his shirt off this time, so it wasn't a complete waste.

And I could have done without the answer-sharing, especially as it helped keep the Globetrotters in it until the final.

It was interesting to see who had learned from their first races - Kisha & Jen had worked out their bickering, the Globetrotters wouldn't quit this time, Zev & Justin kept an eye on details, Jaime kept a lid on her bad attitude for the most part. And who hadn't Jet was a sore loser, Luke still had childish meltdowns when things didn't go his way, and Kynt, well...

In the end I was glad Kisha & Jen won (especially over the Globetrotters), but I really feel like like Gary & Mallory blew it big-time. They were generally good at tasks and enthusiastic, but they seemed to show little initiative, especially by sticking with the disastrous Stirling as their cab driver in the finale even after he proved how bad he was.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 4:27 PM

And who hadn't Jet was a sore loser, Luke still had childish meltdowns when things didn't go his way, and Kynt, well...

To be fair, Kynt started spelling his name Kent.

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 5:01 PM

Right. To honor the sudden death of his father, Kynt started going back to calling himself by his real name, Kent.

smtales

smtales

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 12:48 PM

Kisha and Jen as winners felt very..... just neutral. Very empty win.

They were neither inspiring nor were they entertaining in any way, shape or form.

Not sure why Jenn was not penalized for taking the "Chocolate Mold" at the challenge, but if you go back and watch the footage, it's easy to see Vyxsin didn't take it and that Jenn was the likely culprit. If she had been penalized (as per Race rules), the outcome would have been drastically different.

Although I do like that the Top 8 were so competitive and that, Kynt & Vyxsin (who are forgiven a lot of shit for "OH NO! A DOOR!") aside, they weren't really any bottom feeders.

I would not at all refer to Kent and Vyxsin as "bottom feeders." At least they pushed through every Race challenge themselves, unlike the Globetrotters who received the answer to EVERY puzzle-based challenge, courtesy of their butt-wipes Zev and Justin.

I found Zev and Justin's "over-helping" of the Globes to be most ironic, as when it came time to help Zev/Justin as they approached the F3, the Globes were not interested.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 2:49 PM

I would not at all refer to Kent and Vyxsin as "bottom feeders." At least they pushed through every Race challenge themselves, unlike the Globetrotters who received the answer to EVERY puzzle-based challenge, courtesy of their butt-wipes Zev and Justin.

Out of the 10 legs they ran, they finished in the bottom half in 8 of them. It's an indecorous term, but that makes them bottom-feeders to me in terms of their performance. They also got the answer for the semaphore puzzle off Margie, and, whilst I don't agree with the hatchet job the editing did on Kent, he certainly didn't find those Holy Men in India on his own.

Edited by NotPatrick, Aug 25, 2011 @ 2:50 PM.

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:28 PM

smtales
At least they pushed through every Race challenge themselves, unlike the Globetrotters who received the answer to EVERY puzzle-based challenge, courtesy of their butt-wipes Zev and Justin.

In a huge surprise, Big Easy actually completed the dinosaur puzzle entirely on his own. No help from Zev or Justin there.

smtales

smtales

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

In a huge surprise, Big Easy actually completed the dinosaur puzzle entirely on his own. No help from Zev or Justin there.

that's because the dinosaur task was a "strength puzzle" - the most difficult part of that task was the brute force of lifting the heavy pieces and putting them together. any task which required the "mind" and figuring out a word, phrase, or calculation was given to them by Zev and Justin.

Kent, he certainly didn't find those Holy Men in India on his own.

He collaborated with Gary on that task, who also couldn't find all of the Holy Men on his own. Also collaborating on the same task were the Globetrotters with Zev/Justin so many teams worked together to solve it. I certainly have no issue with teams collaborating in order to push forward, it is very smart. But just outright HANDING THE ANSWERS to the globetrotters over and over ago - to a team with such a huge ego and high opinion of themselves - was the worst most Zev/Justin could have made and sealed their tomb in the end.

Out of the 10 legs they ran, they finished in the bottom half in 8 of them.

Right but Kent/Vyxsin still finished in the game ahead of over half the teams, which means over half of the Unfinished Business cast were MORE "bottom feeders" than K & V. Sure they seldom came in top 3, but they were survivors and (thank god) beat out the "beloved" cowboys.

Edited by smtales, Aug 25, 2011 @ 7:41 PM.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 4:09 AM

Kisha and Jen as winners felt very..... just neutral. Very empty win.

They were neither inspiring nor were they entertaining in any way, shape or form.

I liked Kisha & Jen winning, and it didn't feel empty at all to me - they'd worked on the bickering that had hampered them in their first race, they faced their fears over water-based tasks that did for them in China the first time round, and they came back strong and won, beating a clearly producer-favored alpha male team no less.

And I disagree that they weren't entertaining - Jen in particular regularly cracked me up, like with her "Shut the fuck up!" when she realized her mistake with the Snapple bottle in India, and her joking before the mountain rescue tasks that she felt like leaving their asses up there as they stood there in a blizzard waiting to go up, to name but two.

But just outright HANDING THE ANSWERS

Kent & Vyxsin got outright handed the answer themselves (by Margie), in the flags RB in Australia. I hated all the answer-sharing as much as anyone, but it's pointless pretending that Kent & Vyxsin were somehow above it, when they benefitted from it themselves too when they had the chance.

Edited by Pooki, Aug 26, 2011 @ 4:11 AM.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 4:22 AM

Agreed with the pleasant surprise of this season. The casting made me think it'd suck, but I actually ended up very entertained.

The season probably had my favorite F3 of all time, as it was the first time I'd have been THRILLED for any of them winning (whereas with TAR12, I liked all three teams, but was very much pulling for Ronald & Christina over Nicolas & Donald over T.K. & Rachel). I'd probably have been the happiest with Gary & Mallory winning, but I wouldn't have minded Kisha & Jen winning (which they did) or, hell, even Flight Time & Big Easy pulling it out.

The editing was definitely better this season in that it was much more subtle in hinting at the endgame. Flight Time & Big Easy and Kisha & Jen shared so many scenes, I thought it was hinting at them both being in the bottom two together eventually (since I figured they'd be no match for the likes of Jet & Cord, Zev & Justin, and Gary & Mallory). Instead, it turns out that what was being hinted at was their eventual showdown for the final victory when both of their teams joined Gary & Mallory in the F3! I at first wondered how they could stomp the Ervins' awesome racing prowess, but then, Sterling came along, and it ended up being the two black teams racing it out for the top two spots. Fine with me, as I don't think that'll ever happen again.

So . . . yeah, basically, the F3 is what makes me really like this season.

Edited by Nalan, Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:24 PM.

smtales

smtales

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 6:55 AM

Not impressed by the Ervins. Gary was a strong Race but Mallory acted like she was on "happy pills" the entire time and her constant camera mugging shattered her "little miss sincere" facade.

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 8:00 AM

The editing was definitely better this season in that it was much more subtle in hinting at the endgame. Flight Time & Big Easy and Kisha & Jen shared so many scenes, I thought it was hinting at them both being in the bottom two together eventually (since I figured they'd be no match for the likes of Jet & Cord, Zev & Justin, and Gary & Mallory. Instead, it turns out that what was being hinted at was their eventual showdown for the final victory when both of their teams joined Gary & Mallory in the F3! I at first wondered how they could stomp the Ervins' awesome racing prowess, but then, Sterling came along, and it ended up being the two black teams racing it out for the top two spots. Fine with me, as I don't think that'll ever happen again.

I liked Kisha & Jen winning, and it didn't feel empty at all to me - they'd worked on the bickering that had hampered them in their first race, they faced their fears over water-based tasks that did for them in China the first time round, and they came back strong and won, beating a clearly producer-favored alpha male team no less.

And I disagree that they weren't entertaining - Jen in particular regularly cracked me up, like with her "Shut the fuck up!" when she realized her mistake with the Snapple bottle in India, and her joking before the mountain rescue tasks that she felt like leaving their asses up there as they stood there in a blizzard waiting to go up, to name but two.

Agreed. I enjoyed this season. I'm glad that Kisha and Jen won. For me, a team doesn't need an over the top gimmick for me to root them. Also, I don't buy that Jen took Flight Time's chocolate mold. Where's the proof? They all probably had their original molds and it was all played for drama.

Out of the 10 legs they ran, they finished in the bottom half in 8 of them. It's an indecorous term, but that makes them bottom-feeders to me in terms of their performance. They also got the answer for the semaphore puzzle off Margie, and, whilst I don't agree with the hatchet job the editing did on Kent, he certainly didn't find those Holy Men in India on his own.

Kent also made that dunderheaded decision in Switzerland to not read the clue and take a cab to the Pit Stop instead of walking.

Not impressed by the Ervins. Gary was a strong Race but Mallory acted like she was on "happy pills" the entire time and her constant camera mugging shattered her "little miss sincere" facade.

Mallory may have been loud, but she was competent. She and her dad also never had complaints about the locations or doing challenges. I like that in a team. I was sad that Gary and Mallory were Sterling'ed out of a closer finish.

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

Nalan
The season probably had my favorite F3 of all time, as it was the first time I'd have been THRILLED for any of them winning (whereas with TAR12, I liked all three teams, but was very much pulling for Ronald & Christina over Nicolas & Donald over T.K. & Rachel). I'd probably have been the happiest with Gary & Mallory winning, but I wouldn't have minded Kisha & Jen winning (which they did) or, hell, even Flight Time & Big Easy pulling it out.

The editing was definitely better this season in that it was much more subtle in hinting at the endgame. Flight Time & Big Easy and Kisha & Jen shared so many scenes, I thought it was hinting at them both being in the bottom two together eventually (since I figured they'd be no match for the likes of Jet & Cord, Zev & Justin, and Gary & Mallory. Instead, it turns out that what was being hinted at was their eventual showdown for the final victory when both of their teams joined Gary & Mallory in the F3! I at first wondered how they could stomp the Ervins' awesome racing prowess, but then, Sterling came along, and it ended up being the two black teams racing it out for the top two spots. Fine with me, as I don't think that'll ever happen again.

I think perhaps what made the F3 especially awesome (for some, at least) was that it was such a surprising F3. At least two out of three of the teams were. By a certain point, I think many viewers, casual and obsessive, were expecting Gary & Mallory to reach the F3. But considering how average to mediocre Kisha & Jen and Flight Time & Big Easy were as racers in their original seasons (they were easily outclassed by each of their seasons' eventual F3), it was such a shock to see them both turn it around, kick ass, and make the F3 this season. Many expected Jet & Cord and Zev & Justin to reach the F3 instead (why, I'll never know for the Cowboys -- they were not on their game at all this season). So their ousters made for huge shockers.

Plus, up to that point, African-American teams (and I say this as one myself) hadn't exactly been the pinnacle of competent on this show (except for the rare exceptions of Frank & Margarita, Shola & Doyin, Monica & Sheree, Chip & Kim, Gus & Hera, Uchenna & Joyce, Ray & Yolanda, Lyn & Karlyn, and Azaria & Hendekea), which made the astonishing occurrence of two African-American teams taking a one-two finish on the final leg that much more astounding and incredible.

So the surprising endgame was probably what helped this season, as well.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:31 AM

Featured far too much of one of the five biggest assholes ever on this show (Kent, yeah that's right). And was otherwise forgettable. Honestly, I had forgotten Kisha and Jen won.

I'm really hoping they get their shit together sometime soon, because I'm pretty close to abandoning the show. Almost entirely because of casting reasons.

smtales

smtales

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 7:59 AM

How was Kent more of an asshole than the Globetrotters? who are bona fide arrogant BULLIES?

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 12:18 PM

This season had the best cast of any season so far, which seems logical for an all-star season (although the first all-star season's casting was disappointing). Once again I found myself cheering for multiple teams, especially Jet & Cord and Gary & Mallory. I felt like the cowboys were strong on most tasks, but they made too many mistakes and deserved to be eliminated. They will still be one of my favorite teams of all time because of their great attitudes and proficiency on most of the tasks. Gary & Mallory were consistently near the top each leg, and I loved that they were so thoroughly enjoying the race experience and the beautiful scenery while at the same time racing hard.

The route could have been better; I didn't like that they spent so much time in large, major countries like Australia, Japan, China, India, and Brazil. But I liked that they did two legs in a lot of the countries they visited. That cuts down on bunching and boring airport footage. The tasks were pretty good with the exception of the lame chimney-sweep task in Austria. I also missed having a memory challenge in the final leg, perhaps more so because it might have given Gary and Mallory a chance to catch up.

Zach808

Zach808

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 1:50 PM

I also missed having a memory challenge in the final leg, perhaps more so because it might have given Gary and Mallory a chance to catch up.

Not likely. If I remember correctly, the only memory challenge that seemed to give anyone trouble and allowed teams to pass each other was the one in season 12, since that one was a bunch of random objects from various legs strewn about with a really vague clue. All the others were breezed through because of notes teams took during the race. Remember last season, where everyone just sped through the greeter challenge before the teams before them even showed up? The final task this season had the top 2 teams giving numerous wrong setups, which actually helped Gary/Mallory catch up and at least attempt the task before everyone else left. The only problem was that they were so far behind to begin with.

Edited by Zach808, Aug 31, 2011 @ 1:55 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 1:50 PM

How was Kent more of an asshole than the Globetrotters? who are bona fide arrogant BULLIES?

Kent is just as big of a bully, he's just small and covered in a lack of self awareness.

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

If I remember correctly, the only memory challenge that seemed to give anyone trouble and allowed teams to pass each other was the one in season 12

There was also Season 14's memory challenge, which took out Margie and Luke who were in the lead.

Edited by Cheetah0131, Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:22 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 3:42 AM

If you don't think Kent bullied his partner, you were not watching the same show I did. Italy in their first race, and basically this entire race. He has no respect for her and is a complete tool.

Which I have far less respect for than athletes who trash talk their competition.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 3:39 PM

Never said I was cheering on the Globetrotters. I hated or was meh about almost the entire cast.

I just think Kent is my third least favorite racer ever.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

I agree with you, but only because so few teams from seasons 12 through 17 were interesting/entertaining enough to justify being brought back. Hell, we saw what happened when Terence & Sarah got replaced with the next most viable YDC choice, freaking Amanda and freaking Kris. For a team with such a notable gimmick to be excluded would have been ridiculous. Same with the Globetwatters. Same with the cowboys. Same with Luke and Zev.

But the # of times Kent calls her "Little Pink Kitten" and complements her work, her looks, and gives encouragement much outweighs the moments that they bicker. I remember how cute it was in Episode 1 of UB when Kent likened Vyxsin to a "pink mermaid", that's pretty freaking adorable.

It's also pretty misogynistic. And Kent literally drove Vyxsin to tears at least once, so... definitely a bully. You don't have to be big or bulky (or black) to be a bully.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

I never thought the Globetrotters (Big Easy, in particular) were bullies. Just very tempermental. Like, very, very, very tempermental. The other teams seemed to genuinely like them and didn't find them to be bullies at all, so I believe them over Kent & Vyxsin.

smtales
It hurts people and the Globes know it, they did the same thing to Justin/Zev at their final challenge when they started yelping and being loud and even Phil said in an interview that that was the Globetrotters "dancing on Justin/Zev's grave"

I sort of agree about that. Particularly when they finished the On the Rocks Detour well before Zev & Justin, Big Easy sent a rather mocking gesture in their direction, though I don't think Zev or Justin took it as personally as the editors made it look like they did. (It occurs at 6:06.)

The Australian

The Australian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 3:56 AM

I dunno - I remember thinking when the cast were announced for this season that it didn't really seem to have a lot of potential. And though I was surprised that it actually turned out better than I thought it would, that's not really saying much.

Possibly the best part about this season is the switch to 16:9 HD at long last. If nothing else, TAR18 looks absolutely terrific with a lot of scenic vistas and general interest for the eyes. The trade off for this, however, is that the producers appeared to want a "sure thing" where they wouldn't be stuck with camera problems in unfamiliar territory.

This meant that the course really does stick to proven ground and there's really not a lot of freshness about the route and indeed the tasks. The one new country we do see, Liechtenstein, we are in for about 10 minutes.

We could have offset this with a new and exciting cast. But we don't have that here. As mentioned by TheGrimRecapper, the amount of teams you could have brought back was incredibly shallow for TAR12 to TAR17 - and it shows. And as with TAR11, almost everybody who returned failed to bring themselves up in esteem.

The one team who definitely did enhance themselves were Jen & Kisha, who I feared would again be a train wreck, but actually did extremely well and were very worthy winners. While they may not have finished first before the final leg, they were extremely consistent and never last either, which is good.

In the "same same" category I'd put Gary & Mallory (still a breath of fresh air and competent), Ron & Christina (about the same as they ever were), Cara & Jaime (who seemed to tire much earlier) and Amanda & Kris (who shouldn't have been here and thankfully proved why very quickly). Flight Time & Big Easy were marginally more tolerable, but still received inexplicable levels of help at every turn and as mentioned reverted to their professional flat track bullying when the chips did go against them.

As for everyone else? At least on what was shown, Mike became a whining quitter; Luke fell to pieces at the first hint of pressure again only this time Margie was less bulletproof; Zev & Justin showed they could have gone further in TAR15, but Zev's bitterness and lack of contribution after about leg 3 weren't pretty; Jet & Cord demonstrated that in a much stronger field they weren't as brilliant as some thought they were; and then, the big bust of TAR18, Kent & Vyxsin.

Just like Charla & Mirna in TAR11, one of the most entertaining teams in the show's history were as joyful to watch the second time around as having your teeth pulled. For whatever reason, that same joyless and very desperate racing happened again, and tarnished them needlessly.

So I can really only hand this season a 7/10, and that's mainly for the visuals. It wasn't as strong as the one before it, but wasn't quite in the pits either.

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

Ignore the trolls. Moving on.

april224

april224

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

Kisha and Jen just might be the oddest winners of TAR in the history of the series.

Watching them win, I felt absolutely nothing. I didn't feel happy, I didn't fell upset, if anything I felt kind of confused.

They are personality-deprived and inspired nothing but neutrality out of viewers overall.

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I agree with The Australian's entire post.

Plus, up to that point, African-American teams (and I say this as one myself) hadn't exactly been the pinnacle of competent on this show (except for the rare exceptions of Frank & Margarita, Shola & Doyin, Monica & Sheree, Chip & Kim, Gus & Hera, Uchenna & Joyce, Ray & Yolanda, Lyn & Karlyn, and Azaria & Hendekea), which made the astonishing occurrence of two African-American teams taking a one-two finish on the final leg that much more astounding and incredible.

Agreed, Arlo Rowan. That fact made Kisha and Jen's win all the better.

They are personality-deprived and inspired nothing but neutrality out of viewers overall.

Just because that didn't depend on schtick or a hook like a few other teams doesn't mean they didn't have personalities.

Edited by InDueTime84, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

I agree the casting was kind of unbalanced and had too many season 14-ers. It was funny how Amanda and Kris made a big deal about how they were this wronged party and were totally bitter but then got booted right away. Yup sounds about right.

Kisha and Jen seemed like total nonentities on this leg, it seemed like a weird editing choice. In their original season they bickered a lot and also fought with Margie and Luke. This time they just seemed to keep a cool head and not cause any drama. They even got swimming lessons! I wish the editors had done more to highlight this growth as a team.

I found Mal to be way less annoying in season 18 than in season 17. She really excelled at puzzle challenges. I was rooting for Gary and Mal to win. I find it comedic ironic that in a season full of unfinished business (including bad cab luck) they got ruined on having a bad cabby. I really want to eliminate cabs in the final leg. It's always in the US and there's just no reason why the teams can't ferry themselves around and the winner be decided in part on who can navigate places not "who gets a good cabby at the airport"