Winds of Winter: Book Six Is Coming, Honest!

• Please log in to reply

2438 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

There are rumors afoot about Winds of Winter. Talk about them here! No spoiler tags.

Neurotic Kitten

Neurotic Kitten

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

Yay! New topic!

Okay, by the end of ADWD winter finally came to Westeros, we'll still have to see the Citadel sending the white ravens, but for all intends and purposes, winter is there. Do you think this is finally it, the time when the Others will make they grand entrance? Also we have yet to see how the fact that the entire realm is in broken pieces and people will start dying of cold, hunger and disease is going to affect the people of King's Landing, kinda reminds me of the speech King Bob gave on the TV show, of how if they just hide in their castles, ignoring the smallfolk pleas could be their downfall, and if they could turn another ruler for help, another ruler being Aegriff.

About the Arianne chapter, I'm just repeating what I said on the ADWD thread, but anyway, there's a good chance of her trying to get Aegriff for herself, if only to prove she's a worthy heir and make Dorne's claim stronger, but Elia Sand is not there for nothing, but if he does hook up with any of them I don't think it will end in marriage, they might offer Jon Connington instead, as they were planning, and that would be awkweird because, you know.

I really don't get why they're so dead set on marrying Aegriff with Dany, do they want to follow the Targaryen traidtion to strengthen his claim to the Iron Throne? If anything I thought people might have realized at this point that all the inbreeding was what made the Mad King, well, mad, and that they should try to get more alliances with other houses.

ElizaD

ElizaD

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

Do you think this is finally it, the time when the Others will make they grand entrance?

I hope so! GRRM has said that the current plan is seven books, and the Others are going to look rather wimpy if they invade and are defeated in the same book.

Also, Dany in Westeros, please?

I really don't get why they're so dead set on marrying Aegriff with Dany, do they want to follow the Targaryen traidtion to strengthen his claim to the Iron Throne?

I think it's tradition and above all legitimacy: if the last Targaryen and her dragons accept that Aegon is her nephew and worthy of being her husband, it'll be more difficult to claim that he's a pretender.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 5:13 PM

Some kind of politically ill-advised marriage for Aegon sounds like a retread of Robb/Jeyne, but it seems like Aegon and Arianne will have some sort of involvement, and I wouldn't rule out a marriage that would drag Arianne into the ongoing succession war in a more concrete way.

Elia is the more age-appropriate of the siblings for Aegon, though, even though she comes off as a lot more immature than her 14 years would suggest (makeouts with inappropriate partners notwithstanding). Arianne's 21 and counting, so she's older than Aegon, and he seems sheltered enough that those five or six years between them would make a difference. If Arianne does decide she wants Aegon, then she could definitely turn that to her favour.

I'm interested in learning how Jon Connington and Aegon took Storm's End so easily.

From the last thread:

Still, I'm betting on a Aegriff/Sansa match.

There are intriguing parallels between the two. They're Varys' and Littlefinger's respective prize pawns. They're both beautiful. They both had sheltered upbringings. They both dyed their hair to conceal family traits that would have given them away (auburn Tully hair and silver/blond Targaryen hair, although the Daynes, Blackfyres, and Lysenes have silver/blond hair too). They're innocent, even naive in Aegon's case. Assuming Aegon is a fake, they're both prized for the false claims they could make (Sansa on Winterfell, Aegon to the Targaryen birthright). They also seem, at heart, to be essentially good people.

...Still, they're too geographically far away from each other as of the Arianne TWOW chapter (that we know of, unless Sansa's chilling at Storm's End). I don't see them meeting anytime soon, and I do think Aegon's going to get married off before very long. Just as well, really, since Aegon's bride will probably share his fate, and his fate isn't likely to be a pretty one.

It would be interesting if, rather than go the expected Aegon-does-something-rash/noble/dumb-and-dies-prematurely-as-a-result route (Robb version 2.0), or the Aegon-winds-up-in-opposition-to-Dany-and-dies-as-a-result route (slayer of lies), GRRM does something like give Aegon the "Sansa" treatment: subject him to horrifying circumstances/betrayals/abuses/disasters/conspiracies/revelations that strip him of his loved ones/dignity/hopes/dreams/illusions and force him to mature and toughen up. If that happens, he'll probably have a much better chance of surviving, even if he doesn't wind up on the Iron Throne. (Maybe Dany will let him be a spit-turner in the royal kitchen, a la Lambert Simnel, another pretender in the War of the Roses, heh.)

Edited by Blue32, Aug 20, 2011 @ 5:38 PM.

bluemeanies42

bluemeanies42

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

but if he does hook up with any of them I don't think it will end in marriage, they might offer Jon Connington instead, as they were planning, and that would be awkweird because, you know.

Because, you know he's gay (though that didn't stop Renly/Margaery) or because you know he's infected with Greyscale and if he doesn't just suck it up and cut those damn fingers off he could infect everyone in the Aegon plot and eventually be the vector to infect a lot of Westeros. I think Ariane is sensical enough that she'd do it for him whether he wanted to or not. Someone needs to.

Neurotic Kitten

Neurotic Kitten

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 11:21 PM

Because, you know he's gay (though that didn't stop Renly/Margaery) or because you know he's infected with Greyscale and if he doesn't just suck it up and cut those damn fingers off he could infect everyone in the Aegon plot and eventually be the vector to infect a lot of Westeros.

Both actually, and if he does get hitched we'll get yet another POV of someone in a loveless marriage, except now from a male perspective. In the more likely case that he does kick the bucket, I think it might be for a battle wound or something like that rather than the greyscale.

And now I got the image of the Sand Snakes trying to cut his fingers off, again, not an unlikely event if they find out. But doesn't people get greyscale on the south of Westeros? From Arianne's POV and Shireen's situation, I got the impression that while it is not common, people do ocasionally get the disease.

Edited by Neurotic Kitten, Aug 20, 2011 @ 11:23 PM.

Drimid

Drimid

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

Elia is included in the story for a reason, it could be as simple as being a foil to Arianne and showing us how she has changed and matured or Elia creating problems once they meet Aegon. It could of course be both. Aegon does seem like a decent and normal guy but we have not seen enough of him and his potential affair with Elia could be there to tell us more about Aegon the man.

He does have an interesting situation with Dorne, Aegon thinks he'll marry Dany, Arianne thinks Quentyn married Dany, Quentyn is actually dead and Dany married someone completely different, how these news comes to them and what their reactions are will be important for the alliance. Dorne is the only possible ally Aegon has so either some minor lords start joining his campaign or he doesn't have much chance of succeeding. And I assume he will succeed at least until Dany gets there. If there are no lies to slay when she gets there her role as slayer of lies becomes a little meaningless.

unless Sansa's chilling at Storm's End

Apparently, GRRM didn't include the written Sansa chapter because it was kicking off a new plot so who knows maybe she is already married to Aegon :D Joking aside, the main relevancy of the Aegon story for the crazy kids at the Vale is that Littlefinger has to pick a side and more importantly if Aegon is successful it might be a way to get Sansa's name cleared.

There are intriguing parallels between the two.

Thought of another parallel, both their mentors used to be/is in love with one of their parents.

Edited by Drimid, Aug 21, 2011 @ 12:39 AM.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 1:02 AM

Thought of another parallel, both their mentors used to be/is in love with one of their parents.

And both Sansa and Aegon resemble said parent. Fortunately for Aegon though, only one of those mentors is wicked gross.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 1:15 AM

And now I got the image of the Sand Snakes trying to cut his fingers off

Ha! They would, too.

we'll get yet another POV of someone in a loveless marriage, except now from a male perspective

We already got that, though, in the Tyrion POVs in the latter half of ASOS, although it might not be as depressing this time around.

Aegon does seem like a decent and normal guy but we have not seen enough of him and his potential affair with Elia could be there to tell us more about Aegon the man.

He could turn out to be a Joffrey in sheep's clothing, and that bit where he overturned the cyvasse board and ordered Tyrion to pick up the pieces was a little disquieting in that respect. Still, he seems to be a good egg, fits of temper aside; he refused to allow Yandry to toss Tyrion overboard once they'd rescued him from the greyscale-infested waters. (Of course, he could always be a good man in certain respects and a horrible human being in others, much like Robert Baratheon, who had many good qualities but treated Cersei like shit and raped her repeatedly.)

And both Sansa and Aegon resemble said parent.

Yikes, I hadn't even thought of that one. It might just be a coincidence--there are ample parallels between, say, Dany and Sansa, as well as Cersei and Sansa--but there are lots of similarities.

Edited by Blue32, Aug 21, 2011 @ 1:20 AM.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 2:17 AM

If Aegon is the real Aegon, he should be about 2 years older than Jon and Robb, yet he seems much younger in maturity level. He should be about 18 in the books, right? Aegon probably will need to secure a marriage alliance pretty quickly in order to get someone of note to back him in Westeros. I'm going to go with Arienne to succeed in the task, but that doesn't mean Elia won't try and get her hands on him.

Drimid

Drimid

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 2:51 AM

And both Sansa and Aegon resemble said parent. Fortunately for Aegon though, only one of those mentors is wicked gross.

If they ever do meet they have a lot to talk about :D More than Aegon/Sansa as a relationship I think these parallels are there for the players and their pawns theme we might be getting in TWOW as Littlefinger and Varys make their greatest moves. Both Aegon and Sansa are being used for the same ends and in quite similar manners so will the big players get their rewards or will their plans fail somehow. How do the pawns play into these games and how much do power do they have to intentionally or unintentionally mess those plans. Aegon and a potential affairs with Elia might come into this.

He could turn out to be a Joffrey in sheep's clothing, and that bit where he overturned the cyvasse board and ordered Tyrion to pick up the pieces was a little disquieting in that respect. Still, he seems to be a good egg, fits of temper aside; he refused to allow Yandry to toss Tyrion overboard once they'd rescued him from the greyscale-infested waters. (Of course, he could always be a good man in certain respects and a horrible human being in others, much like Robert Baratheon, who had many good qualities but treated Cersei like shit and raped her repeatedly.)

The thing about Aegon is that he has been lived a very sheltered life, so he might have all the knowledge in the world necessary to be a good King but he might lack the personal relationships aspects of it. Elia and Arienne will be a good testing ground to see if he can actually keep his head in the game and focus on battles and alliances or will he just go all teenager and fall for either Elia or Arianne. It does seem to be a theme though, most of the great failures are because of personal issues;Robert and his Lyanna issues, Robb and his marriage, Tywin and his treatment of Tyrion. Just like I expect Littlefinger and his Cat issues to lead him to his downfall, the men in the series bring about their own downfall because of whatever fatal flaw GRRM writes in for them. We just don't know what Aegons' is ... yet.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

Just like I expect Littlefinger and his Cat issues to lead him to his downfall, the men in the series bring about their own downfall because of whatever fatal flaw GRRM writes in for them.

I think it's part what you say, that characters' flaws lead to their downfall, but there also seems to be a very strong theme of "The bad things you do come back to you, often in very obvious/literal ways." There are lots of examples of this.

Paranoid, lovesick Lysa, who has a fondness for tossing people out the Moon Door, is tossed out the Moon Door by the love of her life after her worst fears are confirmed. Jaime casually deprives Bran of the use of his legs and his greatest love (climbing) and doesn't really feel bad about it, and Vargo Hoat casually deprives Jaime of a hand and his greatest love (swordsmanship). Joffrey takes great delight in ordering Sansa beaten on a regular basis, and this information leads the Tyrells to murder him rather than give their beloved Margaery an abusive husband. Tywin treats Tyrion with cruelty for the longest time, and Tyrion finally snaps and murders him.

We just don't know what Aegons' is ... yet.

Who's to say he has a big flaw? Maybe he's a fake and therefore just another casualty in waiting, another innocent like Jeyne Poole, and his only "flaw" is having the misfortune of not being who he thinks he is. Assuming that he is the "cloth dragon" Dany saw in ACOK, and assuming that Dany being the "slayer of lies" means that she will expose Aegon as a fake, I can't imagine that anyone is going to stand by him once the truth comes out. No one will be too happy for having been deceived, and the smallfolk who were cheering the cloth dragon on in the vision would likely treat a revealed fake pretty harshly, no matter how innocent he was in the matter.

Fortunately for Aegon though, only one of those mentors is wicked gross.

You know, if Littlefinger weren't at the root of the Starks' current misfortunes and if he were completely appropriate and not pervy or gross at all with Sansa and acted strictly as a mentor or benevolent guardian to Sansa as Jon Connington does for Aegon, about 90% of my problems with the character and the Vale arc would be eliminated.

Yeah, but then he wouldn't be Littlefinger, would he?

Heh, fair point. I just think it would have made more sense if Littlefinger had taken a more benevolent approach to Cat and her children, more of a Sydney Carton and "a life you love" approach than the...opposite of that, really. It always made little sense to me that Littlefinger really did seem to love Cat at one point and continued to be fond of her and yet ignited the fire that would consume her and most of her family and merrily poured gasoline on it. It's the behaviour of a man who wanted revenge on Cat, but Littlefinger never seemed to bear any animosity towards Cat herself. It bugs, that's all.

Edited by Blue32, Aug 21, 2011 @ 4:12 PM.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 2:12 PM

You know, if Littlefinger weren't at the root of the Starks' current misfortunes and if he were completely appropriate and not pervy or gross at all with Sansa and acted strictly as a mentor or benevolent guardian to Sansa as Jon Connington does for Aegon, about 90% of my problems with the character and the Vale arc would be eliminated.

Yeah, but then he wouldn't be Littlefinger, would he?

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

Assuming that he is the "cloth dragon" Dany saw in ACOK, and assuming that Dany being the "slayer of lies" means that she will expose Aegon as a fake, I can't imagine that anyone is going to stand by him once the truth comes out. No one will be too happy for having been deceived, and the smallfolk who were cheering the cloth dragon on in the vision would likely treat a revealed fake pretty harshly, no matter how innocent he was in the matter.

I don't think it will make one bit of difference to anyone.

After all, Ned Stark was a "slayer of lies" when he revealed the secret of Joffrey's parentage to Stannis - who revealed it to everyone else. Yet, the only one who was slain as a direct result of that disclosure was Ned and a false son of Robert is still on the iron throne (even if it's not Joffrey). The rest of the inner circle in Kings Landing knows the truth but don't care because it serves their own purposes. Likewise, just knowing that Aegon is possibly not the real Aegon won't matter to the smallfolk or most others if he brings peace, stability and safety to the realm after a brutal civil war.

Aegon the conqueror had no claim to any Westeros throne but won the throne and the rest of the continent because he had dragons. Robert became King less because he had a Targaryen grandmother than because he won a war that led to the previous regime being overthrown, and because he managed to get his former foes on his side. Aegon and Jon Connigton could use a combination of force and diplomacy to win the Kingdom for Aegon and as long as the smallfolk are not worried about imminent death from a civil war, I doubt they would care about his legitimacy.

Aegon could be fake and still rule if he manages to end the war, defeat Tommen's regime and start to bring stability and peace to the realm. What could do him in is the same thing that could do in any other ruler in a post-civil war era, especially during a harsh winter with insufficient food and supplies and a threatening invasion of ICE ZOMBIES. In the latter case, the one who can destroy that threat will probably end up the ruler for having saved the kingdom. Dany (along with Jon, presumably) is a better candidate to save the realm than Aegon, at least at this point, because she has the dragons.

I actually speculate that Dany will set foot on Westeros, realize what a f'ing disaster area it is and how little different it is than the disaster area that her part of Essos, and wonder why she wanted to be Queen so badly. On top of that, if the people of Westeros are happy with Aegon, real or not, it wouldn't make any difference. If he's real - his claim is better than hers, and if not - ending a war and seizing the throne is all the justification Aegon the Conqueror or Robert needed.

If Dany really wants to act like a ruler and save the realm, she'll end up at the Wall with her dragons to fight the ICE ZOMBIES.

Edited by MarySNJ, Aug 21, 2011 @ 6:46 PM.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 6:58 PM

Delurking (love to read you guys' speculations and analyses) to ask:

Can someone please direct me to the page number or plot point that hints to Connington's sexual preference? I completely missed it in ADwD or wherever it has been mentioned before. Was it explicitly stated, or something GRRM has confirmed?

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

Err I can't remember anything very specific aside from Connington thinking no one was was good enough for Rhaegar, but it was confirmed by the Word of God that Connington had it bad for Rhaegar.

Also, come join us in our speculation T o b y the more the merrier.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 6:47 AM

Thanks! I will have to de-lurk more often.

And as for Connington, no doubt there was an attachment to Rhaegar, and I remember him being adamant about not taking a wife when he returned to Westeros; I must read between the lines...

Drimid

Drimid

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 12:25 PM

Who's to say he has a big flaw? Maybe he's a fake and therefore just another casualty in waiting, another innocent like Jeyne Poole, and his only "flaw" is having the misfortune of not being who he thinks he is. Assuming that he is the "cloth dragon" Dany saw in ACOK, and assuming that Dany being the "slayer of lies" means that she will expose Aegon as a fake, I can't imagine that anyone is going to stand by him once the truth comes out. No one will be too happy for having been deceived, and the smallfolk who were cheering the cloth dragon on in the vision would likely treat a revealed fake pretty harshly, no matter how innocent he was in the matter.

True, he doesn't really need flaws since he does appear to be there just for Dany to come and fulfill a prophecy. Actually, because of that Aegon has to be around for some time, at least get some success and be in a position of power to be slain by lies. If he has lost all his battles and is in a corner somewhere all depressed no point in Dany going "Ha! you impostor!!".

If Dany really wants to act like a ruler and save the realm, she'll end up at the Wall with her dragons to fight the ICE ZOMBIES.

This is where I am having problems fitting all the prophecies together. I am almost certain Dany will be fighting the Ice Zombies, I am almost certain she is slaying the lie that is Aegon and I am almost certain she's the young queen to replace Cersei. How she has time to do all these things I have no idea. And in some cases they even seem contradictory. If she is going to replace Cersei then Cersei needs to be in power but if Cersei is still in power especially with the way Aegon's campaign is going what is Aegon going to be doing? If Aegon is not successful to some degree why is Dany even bothering with him? These are all of course based on so many assumptions that I am making that I might be just misreading how events will unfold.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 1:20 PM

Or maybe Aegon is the younger, more beautiful queen and it's just a really awful gay joke in prophesy form. So he can take over from Cersei and then Dany can come to slay his lies. I don't know, all these prophesies make my head hurt, there are far too many of them.

Edited by WickedRipePlum, Aug 22, 2011 @ 1:21 PM.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

The 'younger queen' prophecy is one that I pretty much ignore, because it's going to happen one way or the other. Cersei's the queen right now, and she's not getting any younger. She's hardly going to get replaced by a queen in her 40s. And with Cersei being Cersei, no matter how sweet and kind-hearted the eventual future queen will be, Cersei will still interpret it as her being overthrown by an evil, conniving schemer.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:08 PM

It seems to be a nice coup for GRRM to generate this much interest in Aegon, considering that he's essentially a "new" character come up from nowhere as we near the end of the series (to the dismay of some). Not only the interest, but also the fact that some, including myself, are pulling for Aegon and are happy to hear that he and Connington are making progress in their invasion of Westeros. For as much flak as Martin gets, I have to tip my hat to him there. Aegon, fake or not, has definitely climbed on my list of favorite characters.

To the current discussion, I hope he is able to resist both Arianne and Elia, as either seems like it would cause nothing but trouble. But, I do want him and his side to forsake the idea or marrying Dany. Just no.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

To the current discussion, I hope he is able to resist both Arianne and Elia, as either seems like it would cause nothing but trouble. But, I do want him and his side to forsake the idea or marrying Dany. Just no.

Especially Elia. Oh god. Arianne is at least the heir to Dorne, an alliance that should be sealed sans marriage pact. Elia is a Sand Snake. I can only imagine what people outside of Dorne would say to marrying the bastard daughter of Oberon Martell. It would be Jeyne Westerling xs 10000, Not only is he making a crap alliance he should already have with his (possible) uncle and cousins there's every possiblity that "elevating" her like that will actively offend other potential allies. It's such a horrifically awful idea I almost think GRRM will go for it.

ETA: Not that I think it's going to happen, but minus Dany, it does seem the person he should marry IS Sansa. Or really Arya, but you'd have to find what face she's hidden under first. Also, she'd probably have to hit puberty.

Edited by WickedRipePlum, Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:26 PM.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

The 'younger queen' prophecy is one that I pretty much ignore, because it's going to happen one way or the other. Cersei's the queen right now, and she's not getting any younger. She's hardly going to get replaced by a queen in her 40s.

Well, if Stannis were to win the throne, then Cersei would be replaced by Queen Selyse, his wife. She's not noticeably younger than Cersei and is considerably less beautiful.

The prophecy more or less tells us that Stannis isn't going to win, or that if he does, he'll be remarried by the time he takes the throne. But it doesn't really tell us whether Margaery, Sansa, or Dany is more likely as the younger, more beautiful queen.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:43 PM

I don't see a Dorne alliance as anyway a done deal for Aegon and company. There will always be serious questions about his legitimacy. He has to prove that he is the child of Rhaegar and Elia, and I seriously don't see how he'll be able to do this to everyone's satisfaction. Dorne may legitimately question whether he is Elia's child. Aegon has to prove himself a good horse to back regardless of his muddied parentage. Maybe the Martells never truly believe that he's Elia child, but see a political advantage in siding with him anyway and cement the deal with a marriage.

Perlin

Perlin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

Especially Elia. Oh god. Arianne is at least the heir to Dorne, an alliance that should be sealed sans marriage pact. Elia is a Sand Snake. I can only imagine what people outside of Dorne would say to marrying the bastard daughter of Oberon Martell. It would be Jeyne Westerling xs 10000, Not only is he making a crap alliance he should already have with his (possible) uncle and cousins there's every possiblity that "elevating" her like that will actively offend other potential allies. It's such a horrifically awful idea I almost think GRRM will go for it.

This! He will certainly offend Arianne and maybe lose the support of Dorne if he goes for Elia. The consequences are too disastrous for GRRM to ignore.

Or really Arya, but you'd have to find what face she's hidden under first. Also, she'd probably have to hit puberty.

Nooooo! Arya is for Gendry. *sniff*

Well, if Stannis were to win the throne, then Cersei would be replaced by Queen Selyse, his wife. She's not noticeably younger than Cersei and is considerably less beautiful.

That would be a slap to Cersei's face. I kinda think that its hilarious. Hee!

Edited by Perlin, Aug 22, 2011 @ 2:58 PM.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 3:50 PM

He has to prove that he is the child of Rhaegar and Elia, and I seriously don't see how he'll be able to do this to everyone's satisfaction.

Well, he LOOKS Targaryen enough, and he's got Connington to vouch for him. That gives him the thin veneer of plausibility. Besides that, legitimacy pretty much comes at the end of a sword in Westeros. If he keeps winning battles, allies will find it convenient to believe that he's really Aegon. If he loses, everyone will agree that he's obviously an imposter. The Lannisters are still holding the Iron Throne, and hardly anyone really believes that Tommen is legitimate anymore, even on their side.

The only thing with Elia is that, even if her and Aegon do get it on, the cultural factors are a lot different. She's Dornish and is a lot more sexually empowered than the Northerners. She's also a bastard, and only a niece of the Dornish prince, which is a lot different politically than a legitimate daughter. Plus, Aegon isn't a northerner, and definitely not a Stark, northerner's northerners that they are. He seems a bit more Western than Dany, but he was still raised in Essos, which generally tends to be more socially liberal than Westeros. (And I do hope that Dany comes to Westeros soon, just for that moment where she realizes that these people are all completely foreign to her)

It's funny how a lot of these newer characters I didn't care about at first, and was just annoyed that they're taking pages away from my favorites. But now in book 5 I really enjoyed most of those PoVs. I'm excited at Asha and Theon coming back together, even though I was pretty bored at their initial PoV chapters. Arianne meeting Aegon would be pretty fascinating too.

Edited by Sad Doctor, Aug 22, 2011 @ 3:52 PM.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

Nooooo! Arya is for Gendry. *sniff*

Gendry and the Brotherhood without Banners totally need go to the wall and find them a new R'llhor worshipping mission. It seems like hanging random Freys for UnCat corupts the soul or something. *fingers crossed* Uncle Stannis won't throw a coreligionist into a sacrificial fire for his king's blood.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I am a huge Arya/Gendry shipper and I also find I don't care much about Aegon yet.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:30 AM

At the risk of sounding pedantic, the way the "queen" prophecy is phrased--"Queen you shall be, until there comes another, younger etc. etc."--the "other" person doesn't necessarily need to be a queen. And Aegon is younger and more beautiful than Cersei. Hee.

I also find I don't care much about Aegon yet

I don't want to get attached. He seems to have cannon (dragon?) fodder written all over him, whether he dies pretty quickly in TWOW after the capture of Storm's End or whether he actually attains the throne before he gets smacked down but good.

An Aegon/Elia hookup would be a little skeevy, given that it's his (supposed) mother's name. If a marriage does come out of it, it seems a bit too much like a retread of Robb/Jeyne. (I suspect Elia would get off on the chaos she caused, though, and would be bragging the whole time to Arianne about how she'd bagged a hot prince, while ignorant of--or even reveling in?--the damage she'd done.)

Arya is for Gendry.

If she ditches the FM. And lives long enough. Not sure that will happen.

Speaking of gay characters in this series, there don't seem to be too many lesbians running around. There are a few bisexual women (Ellaria Sand), and a few "I'll screw a woman if I can't have the guy I want" (Dany), but not very many lesbians. I've seen speculation that Margaery is a lesbian, admittedly based on not very much of anything, which would add a very interesting dimension to the Renly/Margaery/Loras dynamic, not to mention the current false accusations about her supposed sex life.

Edited by Blue32, Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:42 AM.

Drimid

Drimid

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 2:23 AM

I have sympathy for Aegon, he has the makings of a tragic character. For all we know he doesn't know he is being used, he has been a pawn for this great scheme all his life, his entire identity is based on lies so someone can attain power and I don't know I feel for the kid. When Dany comes around slaying all the lies I hope she doesn't kill him. He is being used also maybe he can find a job at court or go back to the Free Cities (I am just fooling myself here I realize that).

At the risk of sounding pedantic, the way the "queen" prophecy is phrased--"Queen you shall be, until there comes another, younger etc. etc."--the "other" person doesn't necessarily need to be a queen. And Aegon is younger and more beautiful than Cersei. Hee.

Haha :D I find I must try and ignore this prophecy because it is messing with the timeline of events as they are unfolding right now and whenever I try to include it in my predictions it just throws them off.

Arya is for Gendry

In my version of the ASOIAF series, Arya marries Gendry and Sansa marries Edric Storm and they all live happily ever after :D Also Shireen is cured and becomes Queen of Westeros. I haven't decided on who she should marry yet.

I've seen speculation that Margaery is a lesbian, admittedly based on not very much of anything, which would add a very interesting dimension to the Renly/Margaery/Loras dynamic, not to mention the current false accusations about her supposed sex life.

I'm not sure how much the text gives evidence of this but I thought maybe the show might go this direction with Margaery.