American Horror Story

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4113 replies to this topic

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

I'm not usually a horror fan, but the ad campaign is creepy enough to get me interested..

From io9.

American Horror Story is about a couple, Ben and Vivien Harmon (The Practice's Dylan McDermott, Friday Night Lights' Connie Britton), who "move their family from Boston to a haunted Los Angeles home in an attempt to rebuild their family after a miscarriage and affair." Jessica Lange (Grey Gardens) co-stars as a nosy neighbor, who's a "proud Virginian" and a kleptomaniac.

It's from Ryan Murphy the creator of Glee and Nip/Tuck who has "described American Horror Story as a "feel-bad show" in contrast to Glee's "feel-good show," and also calls it a "psycho-sexual thriller."

It premiers on FX on Oct. 5.

sedeyus

sedeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 12:58 PM

Oddly enough, I'd be more excited about it if Ryan Murphy had nothing to do with it. A haunted house drama on FX? Cool. A haunted house drama from Ryan Murphy? Meh. The guy's shows always follow the same patterns. Every episode throw everything but the kitchen sink at the audience until all your character- and plot-development is blown to hell.

truecrystal

truecrystal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

Yeah, I watched Nip/Tuck 'til the bitter and very stupid end so I have my doubts that Ryan Murphy can pull this off without relying on N/T-like "shocking" "twists".

But the promos look cool and there's Connie Britton so I'm in.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg who I usually agree with, particularly Alan, HATED IT. When Alan asked if he could say anything nice about it, Dan stated that the font they used for the opening credit sequence was decent.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:23 PM.

truecrystal

truecrystal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 7:38 PM

I read Sepinwall's description of "it was like Season 3 of a Ryan Murphy show". Season 3 of N/T brought us The Carver, white supremacist skin bleaching, and transvestite castration--all of which sounds potentially exciting and edgy and ground-breaking in theory but played out in the most boring and ridiculously contrived ways possible.

Also, I really wish Hollywood would quit casting Dylan McDermott. HE CAN NOT ACT and he is NOT HOT.

Again I say: Connie Britton.

Edited by truecrystal, Aug 31, 2011 @ 7:39 PM.

Whisperia

Whisperia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

Yeah, I'm on the fence about this one right now. A horror series on FX starring Connie Britton? Sold. But the fact that it's a Ryan Murphy show has me saying, "Now wait a minute... let's think this through first." Nip/Tuck, which started out as some dark fun, descended into utter stupidity fairly quickly and then just. Kept. Going. Glee, which started out as some light fun, descended into utter stupidity before the first season was even finished. It's a ratings and publicity juggernaut for Fox, so it's not going anywhere. So I'm hesitant to dive into another Murphy show, because I expect that I'd like it for about 20 episodes or so, and then start hating it. Murphy just can't seem to sustain the quality of a show for very long. And he hasn't exactly earned any brownie points with his screenplays, either. Horror fans can be a fickle bunch, and I'm wondering if it's wise of Murphy to dip his toes into this genre. I probably will wind up watching it just so I can watch the internet mockery unfold in real time if it's as bad as Sepinwall says it is. Which can be fun. That was the best part of The Killing.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 12:40 AM

So, basically, for anyone who has never experienced a Ryan Murphy series, this is how it will go:

Season 1: Great. Or good, with the potential to be great

Season 2: Will be a hodgepodge of random fuckery. Or it will be solid. Not quite as good as season 1, but still solid nonetheless. HOWEVER, weirdness will creep into the last few episode that lend of a strong sense of dread for future seasons.

Season 3 and Beyond: You'll soon realize the only reason you're still watching is to see if it can possibly get even more ridiculous.

Edited by hardy har, Sep 1, 2011 @ 1:27 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 3:12 AM

To be fair, Nip/Tuck was God-Awful in it's first season: it took them ditching the evil shrink in favor of replacing her with Gina, the lovable sex addict with a foul mouth and outright writing Matt as an unlikeable douche after realizing how fans hated him, for Nip/Tuck and basically embracing the crazy, for the show to actually hit it's groove. And even then, it didn't really tank until the god-awful decision was made to recast Teddy with Rose McGowen.

That said; Murphy is always at his best when he's at his darkest and this could work.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

This sounds very interesting to me. Connie Britton and also Jessica Lange in her first series role? I need to see that.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 11:12 PM

Jessica Lange in her first series role? I need to see that.

Yep.

I also love Dylan McDermott (I still mourn The Practice), and I do find him hot.

IMO, this show has the best ad of the fall season.

And FX is one of my favorite networks right now.

Can't wait.

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 4:30 AM

Yep, love Dylan McDermott.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:34 AM

I can't wait to see his chemistry with Connie.

soscarylulz

soscarylulz

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:01 AM

This show looks pretty good, definitely different then your typical show. FX just released a short sneak peek of the first episode.

American Horror Story Sneak Peek

soscarylulz

soscarylulz

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

FX has released more content!

Watch American Horror Story Season 1 Episode 1 first 5 minutes

Watch American Horror Story Behind the Scenes

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

I'm looking forward to this. It premieres tonight!

Sarah V

Sarah V

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Parks and Rec, Community, True Blood, 30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development, Dexter, Pushing Daises.

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Well Dylan certainly brought the pretty. Not sure about the rest of this camp fest.

Dr. Harmon's teenage patient was the creepiest thing about the show.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

That was certainly creepy. I'm not sure what parts I found the most disturbing. I'm not sure if there was one character that didn't creep me out in some way. Someone taking over your body is a common trope, but I found this rendition to be a tad bit disconcerting.

Rora

Rora

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I had to walk away when the skin tight suited man/creature came into the wife's room and could not get back till the last scene. Who/what was that and did she have sex with that?

Man, the show was creepy.

Edited by Rora, Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:24 PM.

Invader Toph

Invader Toph

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I didn't find it creepy at all. As a matter of fact, my best friend and I spent the whole damn hour laughing our asses off from beginning to end. And when the guy in the rubber suit came in I swear I almost stopped breathing. I really hope they keep this on the air. It's one of the best new comedies.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I'm getting "The Others" vibe. That's not a bad thing.

rockinhulagirl

rockinhulagirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

I was a little taken aback at how quickly this chugged along. I was hoping for a bit more of a slow build; now I'm kind of left wondering if it's just going to blow its wad in the first 3 episodes.
But, I admit I will tune in again, because: Denis O'Hare! AND Frances Conroy!

AnonyGuest

AnonyGuest

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

It has potential but it seems to me like a bait and catch game, let's throw out different plot lines and scary cliched images and see what hooks the audience, what works, we'll keep what doesn't we'll drop. I mean I get a lot of shows do it but this one seems like they had a generic idea and weren't really confident enough to be sure what to do with it so they threw in EVERYTHING. Are we going with the ghost story route or are we going with surreal weird b-s? I'm gonna be pissed if it turns out at the end, it was all in someones head!

I knew they purposely kept the person he was sleeping with a mystery, I was waiting for her to come back as a psychopath there to intrude in their "new happy lives". Jessica Lange you are a great actress but MAN you are in some weirdness. Although if I was the wife I would have told her "lady if your kid comes into my house again she's getting arrested, threaten to break my arm all you want."

The Rubber Suit guy was like wat...I mean...wat...I laughed hysterically at that I'm sorry. The GIMP was apparently great in bed though with the way she was moaning. What I was confused about was, are we supposed to think thats some kind of ghost/demon or was it actually the husband? I get that we were seeing it from "her" perspective but I wonder if they were doing a thing like they did with the maid, as in we aren't sure what we're really seeing.

Edited by AnonyGuest, Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:24 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Dr. Harmon's teenage patient was the creepiest thing about the show.

Creepier than the twins at the beginning? Man, those two were born to play in a 1978 horror movie!

Love it. If there's a God in heaven, Ryan Murphy will NOT screw it up!

Only one thing - shouldn't Addy be in her mid-thirties? Even if her Grey Gardens mother dresses her childishly, she still looks too young. Unless there's something... unnatural going on there, too.

spiceinator

spiceinator

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

I got to hear Tami Taylor say, "I can be kinky." Sooo...there's that.

I should probably be greatly disturbed that I find the psycho-teen boy to be cute.

So we have what? A leather-loving demon ghost's offspring?

The whole thing was so weird, and that's probably going to be what keeps me coming back at least for this first season. At least it's something different. And it might be entertaining until Ryan Murphy (inevitably) gets bored with the project and the next shiny thing comes along.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

Is the wife pregnant again? Who's baby is it? Was she actually sleeping with her husband who was possessed or the creature? I got confused with the cuts bc it seemed like she'd taken some meds and they kept cutting between the creature and the husband. When was he sleep walking?

Jessica Lange is perfect in her role

The last scene with the daughter and that guy was beyond creepy

I'm gonna keep watching.

rockinhulagirl

rockinhulagirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Only one thing - shouldn't Addy be in her mid-thirties? Even if her Grey Gardens mother dresses her childishly, she still looks too young. Unless there's something... unnatural going on there, too.

Oh, for sure. Which reminds me, when she actually referred to her daughter as a "mongloid", I literally did a spit-take.

Idiot Boxer

Idiot Boxer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

Did Coach Taylor's wife just get knocked up by the gimp from Pulp Fiction?

Holy cow.

peridot16

peridot16

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

This show was creepy enough to keep my interest, but what a weird show.

That bullying thing was so out there, and it came up really fast. Going from caring about the environment to wanting her to eat it? Wtf.

That teenage patient and his protecter(?) was so creepy. I had to look away a few times.

The younger maid was really hot, I thought they were going to show her chest for a minute. Too bad it was only McDermott's ass.

ilovestamos

ilovestamos

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Ghost sex! (Or so I assume.) Grey's Anatomy has really started something.

I enjoyed it, but when it comes to ghost stories, I'm pretty easy to scare.

It was odd hearing Connie Britton speak without a southern accent. I was hoping to hear at least one "ya'll." God I love her.

The teenage boy reminds me of the character on Boston Public who was super smart, but had a really controlling mom, played by the woman from Picket Fences, and he cut her hand off. Which is to say, he's a creep.

Speaking of creeps, I don't like Dylan McDermott's character. What a lech.

So yeah, I'll be watching next week, but I know that since it's Ryan Murphy it will be pretty hit or miss.

kjuzenas

kjuzenas

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

Yeah, about the mongoloid thing...I don't think people with Down Syndrome have been referred to as "Mongoloid" since the 70's. Also, Jessica Lange's clothing seemed to come from the 70's. I'm starting to think neighbor lady and daughter never made it past the 70's. Just a thought.

And even though I'd seen it in the trailers, the line "Don't make me kill you again" seriously creeped me out.