Sandwich King: All Sammiches All the Time!

• Please log in to reply

357 replies to this topic

bros402

bros402

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

I like Sandwich King.

He has some good recipes. The hot dog one with the cheese sauce and pretzel bun was pretty good. Made it a few months back. Definitely not something to eat every day, but as a nice summer meal? Delicious.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

I have pretty much detested all of TNFNS winner's shows (I seem to be the only living human who liked Amy Finley). Sandwich dude is the one I dislike the most. I find him even more annoying than Melissa, Arti, or Guy, which is saying something. He is always hamming it up for the cameras, thinks he's funny (he's decidedly not), & an entire cooking show premised on making just sandwiches is beyond my patience. Sometimes the show will come on while I'm busy doing other things, & as soon as I hear it I run to the TV to turn the channel as fast as possible.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

walleybear You are not alone. I liked Amy Finley and The Hearty Boys. Since then, haven't really cared for any of the NFNS folks.

Didn't Jeff work as a stand up comedian? I guess that's why the "Hey, I'm a funny guy!" schtick.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

I actually like the concept, and I'm not a huge sandwich person. I think it lends itself to creativity and a certain degree of worldliness that you don't see from the other chefs (like Vietnamese Bahn Mi and Mexican Tortas). I don't mind him so much when he's not overdoing it on the ham-factor, although there have been some episodes that I just could not watch because of his schtick.

Count me in on the Amy Finley love... although the TNFNS I absolutely despise the most is Guy Fieri. Everything about him makes me want to punch him in the face.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

The only person who consistently grosses me out on tv is Andrew Zimmern, but today Sandwich King did it.  The grilled bologna burger - super thick cut grilled bologna topped with melted cheese, a thick/puffy slice of vegetable frittata, grilled onions, and brown mustard on a bun.  

I cannot fathom the texture and how repulsive it would be to bite into that thick, puffy, greasy sandwich.  Move over Andrew; you have competition.  <gag>

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Trying to give Jeff one last chance, I tried to watch today's episode. Co-sign on that bologna burger. I don't give two shits what the chef put in his secret sauce, that was straight up disgusting. It looked like even Jeff's wife cringed when he shoveled the thing down poor Lorenzo's gullet. If this keeps up, that poor kid will be obese with Type 2 diabetes by the time he's 10. I couldn't watch after that, but I'm sure Jeff made another nasty sammie.

I still have nightmares about those milkshakes.

Edited by Pauline Fowler, Jun 2, 2013 @ 5:11 PM.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

OMG, that recipe sounds horrendous. I was gagging just reading it. I quit watching this show a few years ago. I'm surprised it is still on.Good shows like by Anne B. and Alex G. and Mexican Made Easy get ditched for this crap.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

I'm surprised it is still on.

Me too, grisgris.  This is the first episode I've seen in a long time.  It was a new one. 

I recall when he got this show wondering how long he can possibly keep the sandwich theme going, and judging by today's episode I'd say not much longer.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

Scripps announced at its upfronts in April that this show was renewed for season 4.

RETURNING SERIES/DAYTIME
Sandwich King
Season Four Premiere: April 2013
Jeff Mauro, season-seven winner of Food Network Star and hoagie aficionado, returns to FoodNetwork daytime for a fourth season of Emmy-nominated Sandwich King. Mauro takes Food Network viewers on a mouthwatering journey as he visits his favorite restaurants and heads back to the kitchen to add his own spin on these sandwiches and more, proving you can make any sandwich into a meal, and any meal into a sandwich. Produced by Rock Shrimp for Food Network

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

Mauro might be kinda hokey, but I actually like the show a lot, primarily because it's a showcase for lesser-known Chicago restos that deserve the attention, like Jam (a very highly-regarded breakfast/brunch spot in Logan Square, run by a former Charlie Trotter's chef named - get this! - Jeff Mauro) and Edzo's (a wonderful burger joint in Evanston and Lincoln Park), and exceptional local markets (like the venerable Roscoe Village favorite, Paulina Meat Market).   While I'd eschew that baloney burger, too, most of his shows are great fun, and the authenticity of the places he chooses to visit here in the Windy City is bona fide.  It's become my Sunday AM breakfast viewing (and a good lead-in to the NFL pre-game shows in season).  

Watch with an open mind.  If a visit to Chicago is in your future, his advice on places to eat and shop at is really solid.  

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

Leshyn, good point.  I only seem to catch him when he's making something gross.  We go to Chicago from time to time, and I'll look up his suggestions next time we go.

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 6:34 PM

I also watch this only intermittently, and walked into the room just as he was unwrapping the fat slices of bologna. He said something about the restaurant he visited earlier, where they were frying thin slices, and I imagine stacking them up into some kind of sandwich.

My dad used to make us fried bologna when I was a kid. I haven't had it for years, but they appeal was that you fried out some of the fat, and the edges crisped up. What Jeff did defeats the whole purpose - yuck! Oh, and that 4 oz. slab would have a ton of sodium as well as fat.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

I didn't see the show, but read the recipe. What grossed me out the most was the egg fritatta layer.  I about threw up on the spot. Thin slices of bologna or cotto salami could work, but not what you all are describing.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 7:04 PM

It is completely beyond my understand how shit shows like this one get renewed, but Anne Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, Alex's Day Off, Mexican Made Easy, etc. get cancelled. A show about making fucking sandwiches, hosted by one of the most annoying people ever seen on TV. The dumbing-down of America is complete. Thanks, FN. You suck.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 3:13 AM

A couple of weeks ago I had mentioned this in the thread for NFNS as a way to compare how Jeff is being treated to the current winner, but yeah, FN seriously love him. I figure he's GOT to be scoring big with the coveted demo they try so hard to cater to. A friend attended a Food Network magazine event in Chicago and the FN people there were pretty much fawning all over him and were boasting about how FN was getting ready to start sending Jeff around to different countries to promote SK. I haven't been following this current season closely but based on the one episode I did see and just how the last season seemed I thought Jeff's son was stealing the show. Jeff's humor could often be too much but that kid is adorable!

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

A friend attended a Food Network magazine event in Chicago and the FN people there were pretty much fawning all over him and were boasting about how FN was getting ready to start sending Jeff around to different countries to promote SK.

He's in Singapore as I write this.  

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

Jeff tends to be OTT, but I have to give him credit for showcasing Chicago food traditions and local purveyors.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

Jeff tends to be OTT, but I have to give him credit for showcasing Chicago food traditions and local purveyors.

Enthusiastic second on this.  As a longtime Chicagoan and a lover of local food and restaurants, I can vouch for his authenticity.  The Jim's-based pork sandwich today and the "Mother-in-Law" last weekend are great examples.  

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

I love this show for the sheer entertainment value - Jeff is hilarious. While not always enticed to make something from the show, when I do, it's been really good. His lemon chicken orzo soup is terrific. Today's ham salad took me waaayyyy back.

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

I'm from Chicago, and after watching a couple episodes of this program, I now understand how some people can find Chicago accents downright fucking annoying.  Holy shit, I can't stand to listen to that guy talk.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

He sounds like a braying donkey.  I've never been able to watch for more than five seconds.

CheeseBurgh

CheeseBurgh

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

I really like Jeff. He has a very dry sense of humor and he can really cook and it is rare when he uses processed food. I agree with the above posters who pointed out how he does highlight some great Chicago places.

He has the highest rated recipes on Food Network.

http://www.foodnetwo...ml#.UnCNdWt5mSM

I have made a lot of his recipes but I skip the sandwich part. If you find him fucking annoying or a donkey brayer it would be best to skip his show. I can't watch Pioneer Woman.

To each their own.

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

It's much more fun to watch the show and then come back here and snark about it.  I'm sure his recipes are tasty, and like I said, I'm from Chicago so I'm glad he highlights places I've been to or that my parents have been to.......but his voice is really, really annoying.

Edited by Astriferous, Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:10 AM.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

Jeff is a fellow member of a very active Chicago food website (lthforum.com), and on 10/23, he posted a listing of the upcoming Chicagoland location shoots for the new season:

We started shooting season 5 yesterday (yesterday was Bistro Margot & Bar Toma) 
If anyone is interested, here's were we'll be:

Wed: 
AM - Lucky's (Wrigley)
PM - PQM (woo hoo!)

Thurs:
AM - Lula Cafe
PM - Black Dog (Donut/Gelato Sandos! Limited time)

Friday:
AM - Bull & Bear (grilled salami, best sandwich I've had all year)
PM - Bavette's (stepping it up!)

Sunday:
AM - Pita Inn
PM - Jerky Jerk

Monday:
AM - Mickey's Gyros on Harlem (Riblets and Big Mickeys)
PM - Skrine Chops (Forest Park - Smoked trip tip)

Tuesday
PM - Marion St. Cheese Market (Roasted Cauliflower Sandwich)

**PQM = Publican Quality Meats.  "Woo hoo!" indeed! 

Edited by Leshyn63, Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:23 PM.

CheeseBurgh

CheeseBurgh

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:35 PM

Leshyn63 Thank you for the link to the Chicagoland website!

Edited by CheeseBurgh, Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:36 PM.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

Jeff and his family recently went to Disney and FN filmed the whole thing for a 1 hour special that will air during the holidays. He may be annoying but I think things like that (and Jeff being part of that upcoming rountable FN talk show) shows hes really made a strong connection with viewers. Networks dont highlight and keep giving work to people who don't bring in ratings for them. As a Food Network fan and a longtime fan of TNFNS I'm glad someone other than Guy can be touted as a success story.

sheetmoss

sheetmoss

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

Mauro might be kinda hokey, but I actually like the show a lot, primarily because it's a showcase for lesser-known Chicago restos that deserve the attention, like Jam (a very highly-regarded breakfast/brunch spot in Logan Square, run by a former Charlie Trotter's chef named - get this! - Jeff Mauro) and Edzo's (a wonderful burger joint in Evanston and Lincoln Park), and exceptional local markets (like the venerable Roscoe Village favorite, Paulina Meat Market).   While I'd eschew that baloney burger, too, most of his shows are great fun, and the authenticity of the places he chooses to visit here in the Windy City is bona fide.  It's become my Sunday AM breakfast viewing (and a good lead-in to the NFL pre-game shows in season).

Famed chef Charlie Trotter, 54,  died today.

CheeseBurgh

CheeseBurgh

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

Charlie Trotter..that was unexpected. The last I heard of him was a bizzare story of him mistreating college kids at an art auction or something. I feel bad for his family.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

I am surprised to hear sandwich boy worked for Charlie Trotter, a legendary chef who was famously arrogant about food & rude to- well, everybody. I would think he would stab sammie king in 5 seconds.

I absolutely hate this show. I can't stand Mauro; I find him possibly the cooking host who annoys me the most. And that's saying something considering the drek that is FN. Additionally, a show about nothing but sandwiches is completely one dimensional & boring to me. I can't believe this show gets renewed over & over.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

I am surprised to hear sandwich boy worked for Charlie Trotter, a legendary chef who was famously arrogant about food & rude to- well, everybody. I would think he would stab sammie king in 5 seconds.

It's a completely different guy with the same name.