Sandwich King: All Sammiches All the Time!

• Please log in to reply

357 replies to this topic

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

After they got those two horrendous episodes out of the way - Sugar Coma and Bread Making - the last three have been golden. So that must be like the kiss of death of FN? I'm glad to hear that even if this isn't renewed, he'll be around on the traveling eating show.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

LOVED the 4/22 ep, featuring Edzo's and Ed Lakin, who I actually know. According to Jeff, they shot the show during business hours, and the place was packed; Ed wouldn't leave the register or the grill, because - well, that's what he does! They had to shoot in bits and pieces, but it sure did come together nicely. And yes, Edzo's burgers ARE all that. Great off-beat Chicagoland choice for the show (Edzo's is in Evanston, a relatively well-heeled old 'burb just north of the city), which Jeff seems to excel at finding.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I must say I enjoyed the episode as well... I had never seen a burger prepared like that (rolled into a ball and then smashed on the griddle). We usually do ours on the grill, but if we ever decide to use a griddle, I'll have to try that technique out. The patty melts looked good too; I found the addition of ricotta to be interesting - does that really keep the patty moist? Dryness has always been my concern with turkey burgers. I tried out his method for garlic oven fries, although I seasoned mine with truffle oil, garlic, and parmesan cheese, and they turned out rather well. I think it may need more time in the oven though... they did not get as brown as I would have liked, so I think next time I'll bake them for a longer time.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Wow Jeff is getting a season three. I'm surprised because a) I truly thought they couldn't do anymore with the concept and b) he's getting that primetime show. I would say I hope he tones down the shtick but considering what FN has become the OTT stuff is probably helping him.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

I'm not a big sandwich person and I didn't care for Jeff on NFNS, so I had never checked out this show before, but I happened to have the TV on FN this morning and saw it. The "pocket bread" (isn't that what's called a calzone?) looked pretty good, but not like something I'd ever make. The skirt steak pita with chimichurri sauce looked good, though I wouldn't have put cheese in it. I'm tempted to try the mango guacamole, but I'd skip the red bell pepper and the habanero and go with regular jalapeno instead. Honestly, I'd rather just have the meat/grilled onions/sauce and guacamole without the pita, in part because I guess I'm so accustomed to flour tortillas with fajitas that I'd rather just have the tortilla if I'm going to have bread with it.

Anyway, the recipes are fine, but I just can't deal with his alleged wit. There's little more painful in TV viewing than watching somebody being or trying to be funny when it is just not your style of humor (or they're just not funny). Knock that stuff off and I might be inclined to tune in more often.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

I kinda liked the episode. Sometimes his "cheese factor" gets to me, sometimes I find it funny, and sometimes I hardly notice it. I found the recipes somewhat timely because I was just wondering what kind of picnic food Mr White and I could bring to baseball games - we have a ticket pack and ballpark food is getting both pricey and bad for the waistline - and I felt that these were pretty good options. The fajita pita looked better than the calzone-ish thing, but the havarti cheese was an odd choice. Why not Monterrey or Pepper Jack?

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

The show just got nominated for a Daytime Emmy

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

The show just got nominated for a Daytime Emmy

Hopefully for something other than "Best Hair" (like Sandra Lee and Semi-ho).

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

The nomination is for Outstanding Culinary Program and its up against "Giada At Home", "Guys Big Bite", and "Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction". I'm almost certain this is the first Food Network Star show since Guy came on the scene to nab an Emmy nod. That sound you here is Kermit and Medusa patting themselves on the back and scrambling to get Jeff even more airtime.

gregg247

gregg247

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Good job, Jeff!

I don't watch his show on a regular basis, but I enjoyed him on TNFNS and I'm glad to see he's doing well. Bob and Suzy really DO have that Midas touch! haha

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

Today was the last episode of the season..

I have this feeling soon we're going to start getting saturated with Jeff little by little like we started getting with Guy early on. Season 3 starts filming in a week already, that's really soon after season 2 is just ending, then the new primetime show starting the end of the summer, season 1 SK re-runs are going to start airing early Sat. mornings and SK is actually getting picked up in FN international markets. Then of course I'm sure the Emmy nomination is playing a huge factor in how the network is viewing him. I wouldn't be surprised to see this moved into a better time as well.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Today was the last episode of the season..

I have this feeling soon we're going to start getting saturated with Jeff little by little like we started getting with Guy early on.

I don't get why they do this. I mean, I understand why the winner of TNFNS would get a six-episode (or however many it is) first season just to test the waters, but it is really annoying when subsequent seasons or non-TNFNS winners (like Brian Boitano, Marcella Valladolid, etc.) only get a handful of episodes per season. You would think that if TPTB want to make sure their stars are successful, they would film and air as many new episodes as possible so that people stay interested and keep tuning in. Having six new episodes followed by months of the same old reruns just feels like a tease.

missbloom

missbloom

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I do not share the American fascination with sandwiches, so I've never been interested in this show. I watched a few minutes of it this weekend and was equally disturbed and fascinated by the stage-style makeup that is slathered on the host's face. It looks like he should be busting a tune out in La Cage Au Folles. Why? He's a man, he doesn't need porcelain skin. It just looks so incredibly ridiculous. And the food was rather underwhelming and deeply unoriginal. Yet another bizarre outcome of NFNS (Right? He was on that?) - dull, very limiting concept; host with some very odd factor about them.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

I think this past season was actually 13 episodes. Season 1 was the trial run with 6, then there was some time between the end of that and the start of season 2. Sounds like this time around to fill the void until season 3 is ready to air they'll put some reruns on which sounds like a smart idea. Probably the most significant thing that Jeff is getting other winners didn't is the upcoming additional primetime show. To be perfectly honest I like Jeff but I've been a little bitter lately because of Aarti getting canceled so I guess I'm a little annoyed that he's getting treated so much better and more readily accepted compared to other NFNS winners save for Guy Fieddi.

Edited by howmanywords, May 21, 2012 @ 10:34 PM.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I have to say I don't know what the attraction is with Jeff. I tried to watch his show but couldn't take him after a few episodes, and I'll watch most people without feeling that way. And WTF with him winning a DAYTIME EMMY? Boy, things must be awful out there if his show wins that award. I find him to be less than well mannered and sloppy. I can even forgive Guy for being that way but not Jeff. He just rubs me the wrong way. He's about as smarmy and attractive as Mark Summers, IMHO. And I don't really find anything interesting about the show. I already know how to take leftovers and slap them between two slices of bread. I don't need him to show me!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

THIS show won a Daytime Emmy? Are you kidding me? ™ Aunt Sloshy. I know that her show won an Emmy, but I was unaware that Jeff's also won.

I quit watching his show after trying it for about four episodes. I couldn't stand listening to him and his lame attempts at humor were irritating.

The overall concept of the show didn't appeal to me in the first place because I'm not a "bread person."

That was pretty cocky (and stupid) of him to think that he could get by with serving the panel of "Chopped" judges a kipper sandwich with bones in it last weekend. However, I would have cheerfully watched Giada choke on a bone after the nasty way she treated the contestants.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

He was nominated for an Emmy but I don't think he won.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

Caught the tail end of the ice cream cookie sandwich/chocolate cake milkshake episode and I can't believe just how sloppy the whole show is. I did not like the idea of kids eating all of that sugar - cue obligatory fat kid eating adult size portions - nor was I impressed with the man himself. There is no presentation flow and he is dropping food everywhere. What is with food shows showcasing "personalities" that make me cringe with their unsanitary food handling tendancies?

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

New press release pimping Jeff's newprimetime show and Sandwich King Season 3, which is now getting moved to Saturdays 11am..as opposed to the graveyard shift I was predicting most FNS winner shows eventually get:
http://www.thefutonc...20120820food01/

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I just saw the promo for the new show FN has wrangled up for Jeff, which has to be one of their most obvious attempts at rebooting an old series, Rachael Ray's "$40 Dollars A Day", except now it's "$24 Dollars In 24 Hours", where Jess is required to go around in a day and find breakfast, lunch, and dinner deals that end up totaling twenty-four dollars or less altogether, and it looks...almost as sad as this show has looked, and I just didn't think he could come across as anymore unappealing.

I, personally, didn't think they needed another show that highlighted "cheap eats" to begin with, especially with a host that may just be even more annoying and over the top than Rachael was. imo, but I guess he hasn't lost favor with the big wigs just yet.

Edited by CPP83, Sep 8, 2012 @ 2:03 PM.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

I saw the promo for the show as well and wondered who this guy was blowing to still be on the air and with a new show?? Jeff sucks so badly. I didnt lik him on Food Network Star. I dont like his Sandwich crap and I'm not going to bother with $24 in 24 hours.

He is just so goofy and douchy. He makes my teeth itch.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I watched the new episode earlier and I thought the corned beef looked delicious but holy crap he was more OTT than ever. I'm convinced he's being told to be completely campy because if the FN people wanted him to tone it down IMO he would. This is the kind of 'personality' I'm sure they love. Along the same lines I have a friend who works in the publicity department of Entertainment Weekly and apparently FN sent a press/video clip package of the new show out (I guess to other media outlets as well?) and there's a quote from Medusa calling it FN's "hot new fall show" and Jeff's star breakout show or something like that. I always thought Suzie had a big ole crush on him so no shock there she's still gushing.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Rarely watch this show, because I just can't bring myself to invest that much time in a sandwich. BUT, he did make me want to visit Manny's Deli in Chicago. That looked like the most amazing, lean corned beef. It had me practically drooling.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I watched the $24 in 24 last night where he was in Boston and it's the same good ol' fuzzy FN math. His first meal was breakfast, which he said cost $4.99 and with tax and tip totaled him $5.75. Leaving aside for the moment the issue of tipping a server on a cheap meal a little more given that they're doing the same work as they would for a more expensive lunch item, isn't 75 cents already 15% of $4.99? So what happened to the tax? Maybe I missed it for the breakfast session, because the server at the lunch place "explained" they don't include tax which was why his chowder was a flat $7, and I think the tax was also non-included for his dinner. But how can this be? I just visited Boston earlier this month and I really don't remember this phenomenon. Are these places actually charging tax, which I would think they would have to be, but pretending the higher price is tax-free? I really must not be understanding this.

Anyway, for anyone who cares, for breakfast Jeff had an admittedly very hearty breakfast of three eggs, two pieces of homemade Portugese sweet bread toast, Cream of Wheat which is allegedly magically cooked to be different than any you've ever had before, orange juice and coffee, for $5.75. He had a bowl of clam chowder in a bread bowl at Quincy Market for $7, I guess he drank water. For dinner he had arroncini and three meatballs and then he had a cannoli somewhere else for dessert. He came in at $23.98.

I also still think Jeff needs to dial down the personality but I'm no Suzy when it comes to these things. I would watch this show again if it happened to come on but it's not a must-see.

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

This guy has really grown on me. His food doesn't interest me, and I don't learn a thing, but he's hilarious! I find myself watching because (occasionally) he's laugh out loud funny, if you like sophomoric humor, which apparently I do.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I also still think Jeff needs to dial down the personality

I must be on a very different planet because I don't see a personality per se....all I see is a guy with a painfully dumb schtick. His food is sloppy and his directions painfully dumbed (there's those words again) down. What did the network see in him that garnered him TWO shows?

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

I noticed this (and Pioneer Women) is getting an additional airing so its now on Saturday and Sunday morning. I have no thoughts on Jeff's other show but apparently SK is doing very well in the ratings, and even more impressive in the coveted 18-49 demographic FN and sponsors love so much. I always figured that's why people like Melissa D'arabian is still around. When they hit on personalities that resonate with FN viewers they will keep giving them shows and will have no problem cutting loose the ones who don't bring in ratings. Considering Guy Fieeedddi is one of their biggest stars and they keep canceling shows that excellent cooks host, that speaks volumes.

Edited by howmanywords, Nov 3, 2012 @ 11:02 PM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I have the weirdest reaction to Jeff. I don't necessarily hate him but I just kind of want to punch him in the groin.

vegasbaby

vegasbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

His 24 in $24 only works if he drinks nothing (or just free tap water) all day and consumes no vegetables.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

If Jeff were prohibited from ordering carbs there's no way he could do this. The NYC episode had him having a bagel sandwich for breakfast, a slice of pizza for lunch, a doughnut for a snack and fried chicken (that admittedly did come with a green salad . . . and a biscuit) for dinner. Personally I'd rather have only two meals and skip the snack and be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, but then, I'm not the Sandwich King.

I don't know if today's was a rerun or not since my Sandwich King viewing is limited, but today he fixed a grilled macaroni and cheese sandwich. I want to say Denny's did that not that long ago and it was a caloric nightmare. Jeff tried to claim his was somewhat "light" in feeling, but I can't imagine how. I can't imagine even wanting to try that mess.