The Lying Game

• Please log in to reply

1190 replies to this topic

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 2:08 PM

HOWEVER. It's the entire premise of the show so I pretty much have to let it go. Besides, I think there was some conspiracy, maybe black-market baby-brokering? And Sutton's parents are in it up to their eyeballs, their adoption story reeks like last week's garbage.

I totally agree. This was not a legal adoption through valid channels. Reputable adoptions agencies would never seperate twin.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

I totally agree. This was not a legal adoption through valid channels. Reputable adoptions agencies would never seperate twin.

If the adoptive parents were not so sketchy acting I would assume they knew nothing about a twin - they just bought a baby, either sold by her mother or stolen or the old hospital ploy where the mother is out of it and they tell her the other kid died or something. But yes, Emma surely would have been adopted unless the bio parents refused and hadn't had their rights revoked.

I enjoyed it but also found the cell phone/transportation issues silly. I think Emma was on the bus before any type of warrant could be issued or bulletin put out and plus a foster kid stole something - not exactly a headliner, APB issue. I don't pretend to understand why Sutton didn't have a throwaway cell phone and fly or buy a car since she appears to have a lot of scheming skills and did have a tiny bit of time to plan. LOL on her wearing Emma's ratty clothes. Surely she could have picked up some generic non Suttony duds for her getaway.

Before this drives me insane, who plays the dark haired friend? (don't know their names). Of the two main Sutton gal pals? I can't place her but I've liked her in whatever else I've seen her in.

All in all, not on par with PLL but light years better than SLAT, for example. I like a good soapy soap with some mystery, attractive cast who can actually act, pretty sets, etc. I particularly for some reason like the snarky little sister.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

Here's my hairbrained theory, that has nothing at all to do with the book since I've never read it.

Sutton is pregnant. She's been distracted and kinda freaked out for a while now. She sees the picture of her and Mads' brother and doesn't see a love interest, but someone she can run to. Emma calls and she sees the perfect way to get away and figure out what to do and how to handle things. She lies about why she wants to go to LA and books it. So it's his truck she's in at the end. She never planned on going back anytime soon, so she leaves the necklace for Emma to find before she leaves. She doesn't need to worry about ID because she uses a copy of her own, since she's not missing and there are no alerts out for her. Or, I think, she's probably got fake ID anyway.

This fits with her question to her sister about how someone could give up their child.

I do have a lot of questions though.

I wonder when exactly Sutton found out she was adopted. I mean, she and Laurel are way to close in age for there not to have been questions about the whole thing. She was pretty pissed that they had lied to her though, so I guess it could have been fairly recent. I'm not sure.

I also wonder what the deal between her mom and her friends' moms is. There has to be a story there.

And after the mom's freak out at the "perfect family" line, which was bizarre, I wonder about Laurel as well. Maybe Laurel isn't so much their baby as she is the dad's baby with another woman and they ended up with her somehow. Or maybe that's Sutton and Emma's story and the mom was supposed to keep Emma but something happened.

Who knows. I do like it though, and I'm glad it's the show replacing SAB instead of something that I hate. I might just be able to survive.

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

She was pretty pissed that they had lied to her though, so I guess it could have been fairly recent. I'm not sure.

I think she meant that they lied to her by not telling her she was a twin. It sounded like she's known she was adopted for a long time, but only found out about her twin when she went digging into their birth parents.

mishy

mishy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 3:06 PM

Before this drives me insane, who plays the dark haired friend? (don't know their names). Of the two main Sutton gal pals? I can't place her but I've liked her in whatever else I've seen her in.

Did you happen to watch Lincoln Heights? She played, Sage, I think her name was.

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 3:20 PM

Her name is Alice Greczyn I know her from Privileged and Make It or Break It

Edited by aliconehead, Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:04 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

She was also Charlie's girlfriend on Privileged and on Make It or Break It briefly as Kaylie's roommate/cautionary example at the eating disorder treatment center. And now you know dorky my taste in TV is.

Oops...aliconehead beat me to it.

Edited by RachelKM, Aug 16, 2011 @ 3:25 PM.

zumpee

zumpee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

If the adoptive parents were not so sketchy acting I would assume they knew nothing about a twin - they just bought a baby, either sold by her mother or stolen or the old hospital ploy where the mother is out of it and they tell her the other kid died or something. But yes, Emma surely would have been adopted unless the bio parents refused and hadn't had their rights revoked.

I enjoyed it but also found the cell phone/transportation issues silly. I think Emma was on the bus before any type of warrant could be issued or bulletin put out and plus a foster kid stole something - not exactly a headliner, APB issue. I don't pretend to understand why Sutton didn't have a throwaway cell phone and fly or buy a car since she appears to have a lot of scheming skills and did have a tiny bit of time to plan. LOL on her wearing Emma's ratty clothes. Surely she could have picked up some generic non Suttony duds for her getaway.

Agreed it's a very dirty adoption and no way a cute white newborn wouldn't have been snapped up in 30 seconds. Actually I'd think there'd be a waiting line 10 years long (isn't it like 2-3 years for a white newborn to begin with) for beautiful baby twins, but what do I know??? But it IS the premise of the movie, so there you are. That said, one's almost expecting to hear they simply dumped poor baby Emma in the garbage the way this Princess/Pauper thing is written.

While Emma's theft isn't that big a deal, she did evade capture AND (though it was self defense and I think she should've hurt that turd waaaay more) assault---so we are looking at some fairly heavy stuff. BUT, in all likelihood, the greyhound clerk just looked at her ID, saw a rather innocent looking girl and called it good.

And yeah, Sutton comes across as someone who's pretty comfy with living the scheming double life, anyway---you'd think she'd already have a little "off to search for mommy" kit all set with less flashy clothes, a disposable phone, $$$$, rental car on retainer, etc....

Cheech

Cheech

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 3:32 PM

I think she meant that they lied to her by not telling her she was a twin. It sounded like she's known she was adopted for a long time, but only found out about her twin when she went digging into their birth parents.

I think this is the case as well. It seemed the "Our parents chose you." is something Laurel's heard her whole life. Which is really kind of awful, if you ask me. I've never adopted a kid or been an adopted kid so I can't speak from experience. However, I get it's important to let the child know how wanted they were but it seems sort of cold to say that when the child has a sibling who was not "chosen." And lots of pressure for the "chosen" kid.

I am surprised David Wallace aka Andy Buckley is on this show too. For some reason I thought the Office was his only acting gig, because I remember reading how he for real worked in an office and landed the role as a fluke. However, I guess he acted and quit, then landed the role as a fluke. So he did have experience.

It's very odd to see him in this kind of role but glad he is getting some work.

How many lovahs does Sutton have? Also, Sutton? Really? They went with Sutton and then her sister's name is the perfectly lovely Laurel?

When Ethan said after kissing her, "You're not Sutton!" it really sounded like he said "You're not a Sutton!" to me. In all the previews that's what I thought he was saying - I thought their surname was Sutton and he was calling her out because a Sutton would have not ... let him kiss her? Kissed like that? I don't know.

zumpee

zumpee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

"You're not Sutton!" it really sounded like he said "You're not a Sutton!" to me.

That's what I thought, too.

I agree that Sutton (and geez, yeah, seriously???) has probably known all her life that she was adopted. While I agree the endless "we chose you" could warp poor Laurel, I'm guessing that's so Sutton wouldn't feel that she wasn't their "real" daughter. That said, their chosen daughter appears to be mighty unappreciative of having been selected.

I'm a bit mystified about Sutton's relationship with her besties, too. She's admitted the whole twin thing is something (the first thing) she can't share to them (which, BTW, makes no sense, I'm sure David Wallce and Supergirl are completely unaware of Emma's existence and would be happy to now choose her, too---even if only to make "their" Sutton happy)---but it appears she's kept quite a few secrets from them. Not to mention, Char appears pretty vapid---whereas Sutton seems kinda smarty smart.

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

I thought Sutton said they did know she was a twin, maybe I am misremembering things. I also thought the who exchange between Emma and Sutton's mom also implied this. Like Sutton and the rents had talked about the fact that she was a twin.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:32 PM

Her name is Alice Creczyn I know her from Privileged and Make It or Break It

It's Alice Greczyn, with a G. And she was also in Sex Drive as the slutty Amish girl (that movie is messed up).

I thought Sutton said they did know she was a twin, maybe I am misremembering things. I also thought the who exchange between Emma and Sutton's mom also implied this. Like Sutton and the rents had talked about the fact that she was a twin.

I didn't catch that. Because if the drama between Sutton and her parents was over the twin thing then I don't see any reason for her to not go ahead and introduce Emma to the household. But it seems like Sutton didn't want them to know about Emma yet, not just because she needed Emma to be her placeholder.

But then, if Sutton knew her whole life about being adopted, I don't know what the recent rift with her parents is about -- they really could have explained all this better, I think. Maybe the second episode will clarify it a bit.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

She was also Charlie's girlfriend on Privileged and on Make It or Break It briefly as Kaylie's roommate/cautionary example at the eating disorder treatment center. And now you know dorky my taste in TV is.

Ha RachelKM I knew both of those too! We have very similar dorky tv taste (and I'm waaaayyy out of the target audiences for these shows to boot!)

I'm on the fence about this show. It's hard to tell from the pilot, I think, so I'll give it another chance. It's funny that people are calling it a PLL rip off (I agree) because it's the same author. She doesn't seem to have many ideas, eh? I'm going to try to find the Lying Game online, not because Sara Sheppard is a good writer (she's far from it) but because I'm a dork and I like that sort of shit.

I agree that Sutton/Emma looks a heck of a lot like Nina Dobrev. Nina Dobrev and someone else I can't quite put my finger on.

Sublime Schmuck

Sublime Schmuck

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

The first time I saw a preview for this show, I thought Alexandro Chando was Mischa Barton.

AStarling

AStarling

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 5:14 PM

I thought that this show was OK. A little bit intriguing. I remember the pilot of Pretty Little Liars was not particularly noteworthy and that's become a massive guilty pleasure. Definitely think you can see the source material comes from the same author.

So I looked up Alexandra Chando and she's 25!? Wow. Some actresses playing 16 year olds look pretty haggard (Mischa Barton and Alison from Teen Wolf looking at you!) but she's genuinely believable. The actress can't even walk in heels properly yet!

And thank heaven for small mercies that "Ausscar" is playing an American. I swear if he was playing an "English/Aussie" hybrid again I would have dropped the show like there was no tomorrow. I might drop 90210 for this show. Not that it has to be a competition, but a gal in her 20s can only watch so many teen shows without embarassment and shame...

And it just seems odd timing that Ringer is starting soon with the exact same premise. Will have to compare and contrast.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 5:51 PM

It was okay. I think I was having trouble swallowing the many story lines and inconsistencies that many of you have already pointed out. I also had trouble keeping everyone straight but for now I'll keep it on my DVR.

Speaking of, can anyone tell me what happened after Sutton got home from the cabin? Stupid DVR cut the show off.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:05 PM

It's okay for a pilot espicially one's that's not an emsemble, and the lead actress is good. Yeah the plot is based on the filmsy's premises they wouldn't have split Emma and Sutton up at the adoption and from the Mercers it seems like they would have taken both girls in a heartbeat, so it suggest that the adoption was shady. However, the Mercers seem to be the ideal foster/adoptive parents so why would they go through a shady adoption, also Emma would have been adopted pretty quickly as well even if they did split them up. However, when the other show is about an anyomous omniptent stalker this supsension of disbelief isn't that bad. Defintely worth 2-3 episodes to get good.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:18 PM

And it just seems odd timing that Ringer is starting soon with the exact same premise.

Since a number of TV critics have suggested this show is a Ringer ripoff, it's probably worth noting that The Lying Game definitely came first; by the time CBS announced they were doing a pilot for Ringer, ABC Family had already announced, cast, and filmed the pilot for this show. And then ABC Family picked up this show in February, weeks before Ringer started filming and 3 months before Ringer was picked up.

The ratings were pretty crappy last night. Here are the 18-49 year old ratings for the ABC Family season premieres this summer for comparison:
1.4 Secret Life
1.3 Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars
0.7 Chloe King
0.6 Melissa & Joey, State of Georgia
0.5 The Lying Game

She doesn't seem to have many ideas, eh? I'm going to try to find the Lying Game online, not because Sara Sheppard is a good writer (she's far from it) but because I'm a dork and I like that sort of shit.

The book and the show are very different; here is a TV Guide article noting the many differences (with spoilers for both the book and the series).

Edited by Peterased, Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:24 PM.

UniqBlue69

UniqBlue69

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:50 PM

The pilot was awful and deathly dull. Switched at Birth is the only good show ABC Family has premiered this summer so I'm glad that's their only new success story. I'm glad this show is ostensibly a flop so hopefully we can get a third season of Make It ot Break It.

kmk23

kmk23

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 6:53 PM

Alexandra Chando is like 90% Nina Dobrev and 10% Mischa Barton. It's weird. I'm a huge fan of Vamp Diaries so the similarity to Dobrev is actually very distracting. Anyways, show was ok. I'm more excited for Ringer as far as twin shoes go, but I'll give this one a few more episodes for sure.

The big oops I noticed was that when Nisha came to the pool to challenge Sutton to a rematch or whatever, Sutton was wearing a totally different outfit than the bikini/cover up she came there in. Why would she change? Did I miss something? I feel like I must have cuz that would be a pretty weird mistake.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

I'm not suprised with the rating, the previews looked horrible, and it was only because of I was a fan of PLL, which was also seen as a CW show ripoff, that I tried it out however for what it's worth I think it had a stronger pilot than Chloe King.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Thanks all for the info on the dark haired friend. Yes, now I remember her from Lincoln Heights (sob) and Privileged. It truly was bugging me and I couldn't find it online. Funny the names were mentioned because it gave me pause too - Sutton and Lauren? I would think the 2nd kid would be Peyton or Carlisle or something. It's like Moon Unit Zappa and calling the next one Patricia Zappa.

I'm surpised the ratings were dismal. There is little on this time of year but dismal silly competition crap and reruns of boring gory cop procedurals, plus I thought with PLL having a following people would be eager to see this.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2011 @ 1:53 AM

I definitely liked it enough to keep watching for another week. I've read the book and was very glad to see that the show didn't follow the book's lead and kill off Sutton immediately. I'm just wondering if the show will introduce the actual Lying Game or if the only thing it takes from the book is the title and the concept of twins split at birth.

There was an interesting throw away line when Char (?) told Emma as Sutton that they would be friends forever - unlike their parents. I'm sure there is some mysterious back story there that will come into play at some point.

As much as I hated Auscar on 90210, I'm really enjoying him here as Ethan so far.

So it gets at least one more week in my book - we'll see after that.

zumpee

zumpee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2011 @ 9:36 AM

There was an interesting throw away line when Char (?) told Emma as Sutton that they would be friends forever - unlike their parents. I'm sure there is some mysterious back story there that will come into play at some point.

I actually think it was Mads. Because Adrian Pasdar will be playing Mads's dad and the local DA---and apparently there iS a beef. Mads's runaway brother (possible third Sutton suitor) is also considered a featured castmember. I'll just speculate that he's the person who popped into Sutton's pick up and caused her shocked scream/squeal. Also, is Mads's dad is the DA, he's gotta either have family $$$ or the wife makes big buckeroos, because that really doesn't pay all that well, certainly not post modern mansion, designer clothes and hot cars for teenage girls $$$$.

Elviriel

Elviriel

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

I liked it, so far. I remember that the pilot episode of PLL was only okay so, maybe the show will get better.
And the lead actress ? To me, she looks a little like Nina Dobrev, but she SOUNDS so much like her. They have the same voice, it's crazy !!

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

I'm just wondering if the show will introduce the actual Lying Game or if the only thing it takes from the book is the title and the concept of twins split at birth.

What is the game in the books? I kept trying to figure out how they got "The Lying Game" as the title for the show...

Edited by KaveDweller, Aug 18, 2011 @ 8:46 PM.

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

The game in the books is basically elaborate, cruel pranks that the girls pull on people. Like faking a death or something like that.

Denari06

Denari06

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

It doesn't seem like they will. First, none of the characters have really come off as malicious enough to do that. Second, they specifically said they would mention the games in passing, as something they used to do but not anymore.

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by liz26111, Aug 18, 2011 @ 11:21 PM.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 4:02 AM

I finally caught the pilot on the re-play. As far as the bad ratings... I only thought to check it out when I saw a big ad and the TVLine piece that Adrian Pasdar would be on this show--but by the time I saw those, I'd missed the pilot by an hour and a half! If anyone else was in my shoes, short-notice might've contributed to low ratings.

I seriously enjoyed it! Obviously it's not set up as anything from the Age of Realism--twins switched at birth, the fantasy of poor foster kid suddenly finding herself in this wonderful and wealthy family--and that's fine with me. In fact, the parts that threw me the most was wondering who paid for Emma's laptop and mobile phone, since I know 16-year-olds who aren't fosters who don't have those luxuries (esp. the laptop). But again... I'll just handwave those details away and go along for the ride.

So now Emma has become Emton (Emmutton?), the fake Sutton. Sutton herself is probably still Sutton, since other than borrowing the grungy clothes, she's not pretending to be Emma at all. I agree with zombygirl's theory that maybe Sutton is pregnant, because of the comment she made to her sister on the plane (what kind of woman would give away their own baby?) It felt like we're supposed to think she's talking about her and Emma's birth mother, but it's not like Sutton and her adopted sister (Laurel, right?) were close. Which is a shame, 'cause Laurel seems delightful, like she's soaking up Emton's sudde and unexpected affection like a sponge.

I haven't read the books (though they certainly give The Lying Game a history in the "who came first" argument against Ringer). From what y'all have described, doubt I would like them or most of the characters in them. I hope that at least Emma, in the book series, retains her moral compass. I can handle scheming bitches better when they're called scheming bitches!

Anyhow, I'm definitely tuning in for episode 2!