The Lying Game

• Please log in to reply

1190 replies to this topic

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

I assumed that, if she's pissed, it's because she a) didn't know that one of the twins went to Ted to raise her with Kristen, b) Alec pressured her when she was in a vulnerable state and feels he took advantage of her (there was some indication that at the time Rebecca was pretty messed up), c) she was allowed to believe Emma died and just recently found out Alec has know she was alive the whole time and hid it from her, or d) any combination thereof.

I think it is possibly all of these things. Rebecca was double-crossed, we just aren't privy to the details. She knew she had twins but didn't know until much later that Alec and Ted screwed her over, hence the massive delay in the initiation of her retaliation scheme.

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

OUt of curiousity, did the man that initially adopt Emma ever state that he was still married to the wife he had the time. Because I think it would be an awesome twist to find out that Rebecca had married him initially to get her hands on Emma

craniac

craniac

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Aaaaagh, I just saw the season finale, and I think Rebecca popped Derek and that she's completely insane. Also, is Sutton just going to be pure evil? She is getting to the point where her character can't be redeemed. Ethan's gutlessness regarding reclaiming Emma is irritating.

Is this show going to start back up in the summer? I'm ready to go check out the books rather than wait to see what happens.

ScarletRegina

ScarletRegina

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Craniac - the books won't reveal anything about the plot of the series. At this point the shows hardly resembles the books.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

OUt of curiousity, did the man that initially adopt Emma ever state that he was still married to the wife he had the time. Because I think it would be an awesome twist to find out that Rebecca had married him initially to get her hands on Emma.

Yes, and I think we even saw her from a distance but he didn't want to tell her about what Sutton and Thayer had visited about because Emma getting repossessed by (what they thought was) her birth mom was still a sore spot.

Edited by kariyaki, Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

ukgirl

ukgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Well that was a shock!! Not the mom thing, the working together thing!!

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Darn you show, I was about to drop you and then you go and pull that Sutton/Rebecca reveal at the end.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

I have no idea what point you are making? If she had a Cesarean there wouldn't be any pushing. If she was knocked out and someone took the babies before she saw them, how would she figure it out? Because she was bigger than normal? Please. Like a soap wouldn't ignore that to advance the plot. Not to mention, I'm sure there have been plenty of people surprised by twins before ultra sounds came along.

I just find it unbelievable (yes, even for this show) that Rebecca didn't know she was pregnant with twins. Why would it matter enough to get many, many people in on it to fake ultrasounds, knock her out during delivery, lie to her, etc. It doesn't add up and it makes the lie far too dangerous. None of it. Not from the fact that Rebecca would have been much, much bigger than if she was preggers with one, to the fact it would be bringing far too many people into the lie. Also, Rebecca isn't stupid. I'm assuming that when you have two babies inside of you, you can feel a whole lot of movement. She would have at least been suspicious. Maybe before the first ultrasound people are surprised, but that happens early on Before there's lots of development, before there's lots of movement, and before you really start to show. Also, being HUGE people would have asked if she was having multiples. She's far too smart and calculating to not be suspicious. Maybe she's changed a lot over the years, but you don't go from being a complete moron to hatching an [evil?] revenge plot. There's just too much that doesn't make sense. If she needed to be fooled, she'd have to be watched. Alec and Ted were both married at the time. They couldn't have been with Rebecca 24/7 to make sure she was fooled. Seriously, even for this ridiculous show that would be far fetched. Involve another person(s)? The more people who know about the lie, the more risk of it surfacing. She knew there were two, what happened with the adoption, I don't know. It makes sense that Alec would have twisted her arm into adopting, but she had no idea Ted had one of them. I'm sure if the love of my life adopted one of my affair babies with the woman he's sharing his life with and I didn't know, I'd be furious. Talk about back stabbing and lying! As for Emma, maybe Annie heard about the babies being given up (because Alec convinced Rebecca it was a good idea) and ended up stealing one. Then Alec started a fire to confuse Annie and get Emma out of her hands into some place where he can keep an eye on her, make sure Rebecca doesn't find her, etc. Maybe they were worried that if Rebecca could find Emma, she could find Sutton and then the plan would be exposed? I don't know. There are a lot of possibilities with this story line. Most ridiculous, but if they try to convince me that a woman was pregnant with two babies and had no idea? I mean really. Come on.

Edited by T Scrumptious, Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:00 AM.

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

I've been thinking about possible scenarios. There's still something shady/hidden about Rebecca in the past, and I'm still thinking that it is that Rebecca is a twin herself, but barring that situation ... I think Rebecca either tricked Ted or Ted just had sex with her one night. She got pregnant with the twins. Apparently, she had a stalky thing for Ted. (This is the really implausible part to me. I think Ted is a tool. Why would anyone want Ted?)

She wanted Ted to leave Kristen. Ted ran to Alec begging for help. Alec told Ted to string her along, and they'd find a way to deal with it. So, Ted kept her believing it was true. Meanwhile, I believe Alec had a thing for Kristen, which he kept hidden pretty effectively from Ted. I think that feeling was somewhat mutual. (This goes back to the 'look' that Kristen had for Alec in the first episode or so. Also, Kristen's dislike of Rebecca seems very excessive, especially her reaction to her marrying Alec. I mean, if it was just her husband, wouldn't she be happy for Alec and Rebecca and let out a big "Whew!" But no. She wasn't.) Ted was playing the sad, 'we'll have a baby someday' sweetie' with Kristen and 'I'll totally leave her for you but not now' with Rebecca. Meanwhile, he and Alec cook up this scheme where Ted and Kristen will adopt the babies and Rebecca will be out of the picture.

Somewhere in here, Ted messes up the surgery. It could be because Rebecca is in labor, but the timeline is more suggestive that Rebecca was threatening to do something. Tell Kristen. Kill herself. Who knows? Then, Ted and Kristen are in a financial and emotional mess because of the surgery situation and Ted's loss of his job, etc. I believe Ted and Kristen had some problems during this time, and Alec slept with Kristen. She gets pregnant with Laurel. They decide Ted should never know. Which is stupid on Alec's part. I mean, look at Ted! What a tool.

I think it's possible that they got Rebecca committed or something and convinced her she couldn't take care of the children. I'm not clear on how they betrayed/convinced Rebecca to give the girls up. Maybe Alec gave her money. I think she knew there were twins. Either she believed that Ted would take care of both of the twins or she thought a couple was adopting both. However, when the time came to adopt, Kristen told Ted that they couldn't take both babies. They were in a bad situation financially and couldn't take on that many children. And she was pregnant with Laurel when they adopted Sutton. She knew that there would be another child really soon. She's been wracked with guilt for years about this decision and the circumstances of Laurel's birth, thus her weepy face in that first episode.

Years later, Sutton finds out that Ted is her biological father. And I think she somehow knows Laurel is not Ted's biological daughter. She investigates the circumstances of her birth and finds her twin. I also don't think Sutton is completely right in the head, frankly. And neither is Rebecca.

And ha! It's very sad I spent time thinking about this. I think I need a new hobby.

**Edited to add that I could be wrong on the Laurel timeline thing. I cannot, for the life of me, remember how far apart in age they are.

Edited by hotspurious, Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

Bridget

Bridget

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

I go back and forth on whether Ted knows that he adopted his own daughter. If he had known there were twins, why wouldn't he have adopted both of them to eliminate the chance that the other one wouldn't come looking for him later on? Plus he doesn't act as if he's afraid of Kristin finding out that Sutton is his daughter; to me, it seems that he's only scared of her finding out that he got Rebecca pregnant.

I do think that Alec orchestrated most of the adoption/taking the kids from Rebecca plot, which is why she wants revenge on him. She doesn't seem that focused on getting back at Ted, unless she was passive-aggressively doing that when she "accidentally" revealed the affair with Ted to Kristin. I actually think she still wants Ted because of the locket and because she got Sutton to make Emma show the locket to Kristin.

Does anyone know the exact timeline regarding the botched surgery and the twins' birth? Did they ever say? Because it would seem to me that if Ted & Kristin were trying to conceive at that time, they wouldn't be looking to adopt, right? So then maybe the phone call wasn't about Rebecca being in labor, but maybe that she was pregnant.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

hotspurious, I really like your theory! It makes the most sense given what we've seen so far, but knowing this show, there will most likely be another ridiculous loop thrown in there.

I agree that Rebecca and Sutton aren't right in the head, they're both pretty evil. I don't doubt that one of them killed Derek. Sutton even has a motive, and with the way their painting her (pure evil, almost no nice side) I wouldn't be surprised if it was her and part of the plan. I know Sutton was with Ethan at the time (right?) but what happened to her afterward. Is it possible that she went back? I can't remember. If not Sutton, then Rebecca. Her motive being Derek almost killed her daughter that she just found. Also part of the plan, I guess.

Edited by T Scrumptious, Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:30 PM.

ottergreen

ottergreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

I think Laurel is less than a year younger than Sutton & Emma. It was mentioned in the first episode that they found out Kristin was pregnant like right after adopting Sutton.

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Thanks! I agree, too, that a ridiculous loop could be tossed in there, like Rebecca lied to Ted about the girls being his, and then, we have the real dad show up. Which, wow. Soap city. Not that it isn't already.

I'm wondering if Laurel is nine months younger or seven. I just can't remember.

I think Ted believes Emma is dead. I think, for some reason, perhaps to hide one twin from Rebecca (?) or to keep Ted out of it, Alec didn't tell anyone about Emma surviving the fire. I'm also guessing something illegal happened with the adoption. It's more than just "Kristen mustn't know."

Edited by hotspurious, Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:49 PM.

Minttea5

Minttea5

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I realize a lot of my problems with this show are easily answered with 'sloppy writing' but sometimes I think I missed something.

Why would a rich Beverly Hills couple give up their newly adopted baby to a woman "with the right papers". More likely they would hire a lawyer, who would then hire an investigator, etc. Things would get messy.

How old was Justin when his mom died? Are Emma & Sutton younger than him? I thought they were older. Maybe he lied about his age when he registered at the school in order to be in Laurel's class?

Who was in the photographs at Char's house and in the photo album at the Mercers? I thought it was Annie Hobbs. It appears she didn't know them, but was just in the hospital, also giving birth, when Sutton & Emma were born?

Even if Sutton was faking her 'niceness' at the ranch with Ethan, that ploy obviously got her a lot farther with him than being the mean girl, so why did she go back to that persona in the most recent episode with all her "I will have you because I say so" stuff when she came to his trailer? It was so over the top and unrealistic. Even a confident teenager doesn't say things like that. If she wasn't faking it, still... why is she now being mean again? Is she bipolar? Her character makes no sense at all.

There are so many more things that I can't even remember now. It's getting so convoluted at this point. I wish it was written more like Revenge, where there is a mystery, but you aren't completely confused all the time.

On a personal note, my mom had twins (my brothers) in 1977, but didn't know she was having two until she started giving birth and she couldn't because they were backwards and tangled up. They had to do a last minute c-section. This was at a military hospital, which, I hate to say it, but they suck. To this day, I avoid all hospitals after dealing with them growing up. The doctor had been telling my mom during her pregnancy that she was too heavy and actually had her trying to lose weight. A pregnant woman with twins was basically starving herself on her doctors orders. I'm sure in the early '90s this would never have been the case, but the argument that, logically, a woman would 'just know' if she was having twins isn't necessarily true especially if it was her first pregnancy.

Anyway, this show is ridiculous. I wish i could quit it. ha ha

Edited by Minttea5, Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

Why would a rich Beverly Hills couple give up their newly adopted baby to a woman "with the right papers". More likely they would hire a lawyer, who would then hire an investigator, etc. Things would get messy.

I thought that the adoption was illegal, they had bought a baby, and if that came out they'd be in legal trouble and lose the baby anyway.

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

The Annie Hobbs story line is the most convoluted. It was Annie Hobbs who was shown in pics at Char's house and in the Mercer's photo album. I don't recall seeing any pictures of Char's Aunt Rebecca. Also, why isn't Alec trying to still locate Annie Hobbs to shut her up? I personally think the show decided to ditch the Annie Hobbs story line and change the plot to Rebecca, hence the story about Annie Hobbs stealing one of the babies from the hospital after her own died. Since Annie Hobbs apparently did know Ted and Alec in high school, why would she steal one of Rebecca's babies? I would think Annie also knew Rebecca personally through Ted and Alec, so that scenario just doesn't make much sense to me.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

http://www.deadline...._medium=twitter

ABC Family is finalizing a deal for a second-season renewal of drama The Lying Game. After a shaky start last summer, the show, based on Alloy’s series books, clinched a 12-episode order in September. In Season 1A, Lying Game has done OK, ranking as the No. 3 scripted cable series in January behind ABC Family hits Pretty Little Liars and Switched At Birth. As a sign of the pending renewal, actors from the Warner Horizon/Alloy-produced Lying Game have been invited to ABC Family’s upfront event in New York on Monday.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Deadline is almost certainly right concerning the gist of their story; I'm amused by how many errors they managed to include in such a short story, though!

ABC Family didn't order 12 episodes in September (Deadline was wrong then too); they ordered 10.
This past season wasn't Season 1A; it was Season 1B. (The summer episodes were 1A.)
Also, this wasn't the #3 scripted series on cable, in any month. If it had been, it wouldn't have been in danger of being canceled. It was the #3 show with females 12-34.

Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

ABC Family has just announced it has officially renewed the show for a second season. Production is set for this summer, the new season will premiere in winter.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:40 PM.

Kevinao De Lima

Kevinao De Lima

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Its official!

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Wow, all this time I just assumed it was renewed and that Charisma Carpenter would be back. I can not imagine the series ending when it did.

Anyhoo, I'm excited! It's odd, but I actually miss the show.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

This is one of my favorite shows on TV. I love Alexandra Chando in it, but I get a twinge every time I see Charles Pratt's name in the credits. I don't know how they expect people to maintain interest in a serial drama when they're away for so long.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Yay renewal! But damn, winter premiere? That's a long wait, especially considering that Pretty Little Liars (its perfect companion piece) is coming back in June already.

SparksFly

SparksFly

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I just love this show.. So it's coming back for a second season.

JACBarrett

JACBarrett

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

Just seen a movie with the actor who plays Justin, and he was a truly nasty character. It's called Dream Boy he is still pretty, but rapes and murders a fellow schoolboy called Nathan. I really hope he's not returning next season! I always found him creepy but after watching that movie well I'm not sure I could stomach him. I thought it was the role he was playing but now I think it may be the actor. I think it's because he is so good looking but there is something missing. I'm sure he is a lovely guy in real life. However that role in Dream Boy was disturbing and yet in someways predictable,because from the first scene he was in I knew that something horrifying was going to happen.

Peka

Peka

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Just seen a movie with the actor who plays Justin, and he was a truly nasty character. It's called Dream Boy he is still pretty, but rapes and murders a fellow schoolboy called Nathan. I really hope he's not returning next season! I always found him creepy but after watching that movie well I'm not sure I could stomach him. I thought it was the role he was playing but now I think it may be the actor. I think it's because he is so good looking but there is something missing. I'm sure he is a lovely guy in real life. However that role in Dream Boy was disturbing and yet in someways predictable,because from the first scene he was in I knew that something horrifying was going to happen.

Wow - very different than the movie I just saw with him called "To Save A Life" where he plays a born again Christian basketball player who re-evaluates life after several life altering issues come up. Good story. Must say I'll probably pass on the one you mentioned though!

Glad for a renewal! I hadn't heard anything for awhile, but am relieved to hear it's coming back.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I recently rewatched the ABC Family series Huge (which is SO GOOD - if you liked My So-Called Life, give this show a try) and saw that Blair Redford (the actor who plays Ethan) played Asturo in the hilarious Twilight movie spoof! I originally watched Huge when it aired back in 2010, before The Lying Game started, so I didn't make the connection. Although Ethan looked familiar to me, I assumed it was because I'd seen him as Australian Oscar on 90210.

ukgirl

ukgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

When is this back on? feels like ages ago since i last saw the show :(

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

It's apparently set to come back Tuesday, January 1, probably paired with Pretty Little Liars again. The date came from Alloy Entertainment, one of the production companies behind the show, but ABC Family insists no date's been set yet... ABC Family tends to reveal their January return dates in October, and it'll almost definitely be back in the first week of January.

Edited by Peterased, Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:54 AM.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

Forget everything I said before: the show's back Tuesday, January 8, at 9 PM after Pretty Little Liars.