The Lying Game

• Please log in to reply

1190 replies to this topic

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

I've started to think that 1) Derek was obviously hired by Alec. However, he wasn't supposed to kill Sutton. He was supposed to get in the car and force EMMA (not Sutton) to go see Alec. He got in the car with the wrong twin, not realizing probably that there even was a twin. (I don't think Alec knew Sutton was back. I think he kept an eye on both twins, and when Emma disappeared from school, he was notified.) Derek startled Sutton; they went into the lake. He bailed without saving her. Alec was following them, and he picked him up. Sutton is saved by fake Mom and so on. Nobody was actively trying to kill Sutton at that point. I just think Alec was going to run Emma out of town, frankly.

I'm beginning to think that Rebecca herself was a twin, and the other twin is ... somewhere. Maybe dead. Maybe not. But there's a story there with the name change and her touchiness over it. Anyway, there's a connected story there that involves Alec and VillainDad and the twins. Twins are sometimes thought to run in families.

And again, finally, I really think Emma should just stand up in the next episode, grab Sutton, and march her into the next room where the parents are and CONFESS!!! That would be a fun shocker and totally an appropriate and unexpected response.

SeattleStorm

SeattleStorm

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

I'm beginning to think that Rebecca herself was a twin, and the other twin is ... somewhere. Maybe dead. Maybe not.

I love this speculation, hotspurious. I also had this thought a few episodes back (but didn't post it at the time, so if this turns out to be correct, you get the credit). It was when Rebecca was talking to Alec about their high school encounters, and said something to the effect, "I'm a different person that you used to know" or "I'm not that person anymore." I can't remember the exact quote, but at the time, I thought...wouldn't it be cool if it turns out Rebecca is a different person. Because she also has a twin, and has her own lying game going on. I didn't think it all the way through, like what her motives would be, but I do like this theory.

Plus...double the Charisma...always a good thing. And CC does have experience with playing identical twins.

Anyway, I'm on board with you if this comes true.

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Thanks!! I think we should have co-credit!

And more Charisma is always good. Seriously, she and Pasdar really bring it every single time.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

I just don't think the writers are capable of adding another plot to the storyline if the made Rebecca a twin. They made the Annie Hobbs thing confusing as possible. We haven't seen Char or her Mom ever talk about another aunt or sister. TPTB seem to really be struggling plot wise and with their writing. Sutton gets some funny lines but that's about it.

My take on Rebecca being a different person is that she has grown up and doesn't take shit anymore. It sounds like she didn't date Alec in HS, in reality he treated her poorly and possibly did some specific bad thing to her. I see her back for revenge against him and if the twins are hers.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Emma: I can't help but thinking...
Ethan: What?
Emma: The timing is right. Cause my little sister said so.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

"I'm so surprised it's Ted in Rebecca's True Love Locket!" said absolutely no one.

I liked the Laurel/Emma scene re: her virginity. Nice touch of realism that one of the questions Laurel asked as to why Emma was so reluctant to jump into bed with Ethan was, "Are you on your period?" No one ever asks that on TV for some reason.

MartinisNShoes

MartinisNShoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

Oh.my.god.it.was.Ted.in.the.locket.not.Alec.I.am.so.shocked. *rme* That could not have been more obvious.

LOVED Mads with Emma in the beginning and I love that she immediately called that Sutton was lying. It's about time Sutton got slapped. Seriously that girl's bordering on sociopath at this point. Laurel, you know I like her and yet I don't care about her stories at all. I only care about her in regards to her relationship with Emma/Sutton and the family. But her relationships? Zzzzzz. Also can they please stop pushing the actress's singing. I really don't want to see their annoying band play their bad music every episode.

Loved the sister scenes although I was a little surprised about Ematton telling Laurel she was a virgin. I know Emma has bonded with her but that seems like something that Sutton (or others) could accidentally contradict very easily when she takes her life back. Plus I can't imagine that Laurel wouldn't have overheard any of Sutton's previous convos with her friends about sex etc.

Ethan, yeah, over him. Sure I'll still give him an appreciate glance when he takes his shirt off but I won't be happy about it. First he lies to her face saying that nothing happened, then later when she calls him on his feelings for Sutton his response is "what do you want me to say?" Really dude? And that last scene basically tells me that his feelings for Emma are based mainly off the fact that she's the "nice Sutton." Kind of annoyed that I wasted an entire season investing in them. Whatever, TeamThayer time! (I was confused by which of them was hugging Thayer in the previews, I thought Emma but I wasn't so sure.)

Remind me again why Emma is still playing Sutton? I wish Emma would just say "screw all of you" and come clean to Ted & Kristen. I don't know if they'd take her in but at least Sutton wouldn't be able to play the "time for you to leave" card anymore.

Edited by MartinisNShoes, Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:53 PM.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Remind me again why Emma is still playing Sutton?

They gave it the thinnest of handwaves by having Emma and Sutton team up to save Ted and Kristen's marriage. I think it's some of that, some of them needing all hands on deck to solve Derek's murder, and some of the fact that Emma has nowhere to go after she stops being Sutton.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

The only thing surprising about THE LOCKET? That someone as crafty as Rebecca would leave it out like that. Which leads me to wonder, what game is she playing?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

Also surprising: that her ex-husband was so stupid that he didn't realized it opened? That necklace could not have been more of a cliche locket with a picture inside of it.

ITA that it's stupid and sloppy of Rebecca to leave it out like that. I know that no one else is living in the house right now, but isn't there the slightest chance that her sister, brother in law, or niece might come home and not feel compelled to call her ahead of time since, you know, that's their house, not hers? I know they've shown Alec and Rebecca getting it on at his house, but does she not think there's ever the slightest chance that he might want to come over to her place?

I have to give Rebecca a high five for manipulating Alec into marrying her though. So what's her endgame? Is she going after his money? Or is this part of her plan to eventually get back Ted, the love of her life? Where did Alec get that ring on such short notice? Is it the same one that she picked out last episode?

Sutton is right - Rebecca's ex needs to fire that maid!

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Feb 28, 2012 @ 7:59 AM.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

Is it just me, or does young Locket!Ted look just like Mitt Romney?

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

So, it looks like we have:

* Rebecca is bio mother to the twins
* Ted is bio dad to the twins, but probably doesn't know he has twins, just thought he'd adopted his own daughter, Sutton
* Ted rejected Rebecca and she's still carrying a torch
* Rebecca is out to get Alec, who presumably co-ordinated Ted's adoption of Sutton. Why did Rebecca agree to that adoption? And why did she also adopt out Emma? Was she not interested in the children, just wanted them as leverage to keep Ted, and when he refused she bolted? Did Alec and Rebecca make money out of selling Emma to a rich family (the family Annie Hobbs stole her from)?
* Who killed Derek?

Edited by Misty77, Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I'm glad that Ethan and Emma figured out so quickly that Sutton had lied to them both about who slept with whom. I would have been really annoyed if the show had tried to drag that out.

* Who killed Derek?

I'd be surprised if it turned out to be anyone besides Alec. That picture of him with the tire iron seems pretty damning. And unless Alec brought his own personal wetworks man with him, who else could it be realistically? At best another one of his flunkies blackmailed into helping him with his eeeevil schemes (like Derek & Ben), which still makes Alec responsible for Derek's murder IMO. Not that I'm complaining. I'm glad to be rid of Derek's weasely sneaking around. With Char gone, there was really no point in keeping him around.

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

I'm actually wondering if it was just one of those college kids, and something to do with the drugs, not our mystery at all?

I'm not sure what the go with that photo is, I can imagine Alec going around there and threatening Derek, but I'm going to be surprised if he does turn out to be the killer.

Another option is Rebecca, but that feels like a stretch.

Edited by Misty77, Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:13 AM.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

And why did she also adopt out Emma?

It's possible she didn't know Emma survived. Alec might have hidden Emma and told Rebecca that Emma died, like D'Artagnan did in the Leonardo DiCaprio version of The Man in the Iron Mask.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

And why did she also adopt out Emma?

Money? That other couple that originally adopted Emma looked rather well-off, they probably paid through the nose. Ultimately getting ripped off when Annie Hobbs showed up claiming to be the mom.

So let's trace through this timeline: Ted and Kristin adopt Sutton, rich people adopt Emma. Annie Hobbs says she's Emma's mom and snags her. Big fire, Annie is institutionalized, Emma ends up in foster care, which Alec seemed to have orchestrated. Obviously, at some point Rebecca thinks a twin is dead and the fire may be it. Her showing up is some sort of Revenge-scheme but why did she wait almost two decades to deal with it?

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I've thought all along that perhaps Rebecca didn't/doesn't know anything about Emma, nor does Ted. Ted wouldn't have consented to have her adopted out and probably would have paid any extortion to shut everyone up and keep both girls. Maybe Alec got an offer too big to refuse from the couple that initially adopted Emma - I don't think he had much money at the time. It's possible Rebecca was convinced one twin died at birth or she was so drugged up she never knew she had two babies. Of course, that makes no sense because of hospital records. I think Annie Hobbs said she "knew the woman down the hall had two babies" and didn't want them or something? I think Rebecca is here for vengeance, but don't know why it took her so long. I'll bet she hates Alec but not sure why she wants to marry him. It would make more sense if she just plotted to break up Ted's marriage and then went after lonely Ted if that's what she wants.

Ethan - meh. He's gone from bad boy to indecisive wimp in no time flat. He seems to go along with whatever anyone tells him, whether it's his brother, Alec, or Emma/Sutton. I still laugh every time I see that dismal trailer. So they left the reservation because it's so awful but their father has a lovely home there and they are living in a tin trailer in the desert surrounded by wrecked cars and junk. Okay.

Edited by Maxbird, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

Moladarin

Moladarin

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

How very splendid... *sigh* I'm based in SA and we're like at the 12th episode. Gathering from all the inputs and comments of the episodes lying ahead, the picture appears rather bleak. But anyway, the story is intriguing enough at least. As I imagine the sequence, I'm quite interested to know what will happen once everyone within the twin's circle of friends and family know of their existence. I think some might even believe Sutton had an alter ego. If, as the story continues and expands, it appears to Sutton that people accept Emma more than her, she might perceive it as rejection. If she is a normal human, she would naturally vent all her anger on Emma, as Emma has the highest chance of causing Sutton emotional pain (which she has already managed); and emotional pain is far worse than physical pain. They're only 17 at this point, and if this be the story line, the lying game (the game itself) would worsen and things might get rather ugly and pretty much end in sadness. I guess if Sutton has antisocial personality disorder, the lying game might never end as long as she's alive *evil*. At least, she's not into drug and alcohol abuse, right? I'll check it out for myself though and verify what has been said.

Still, my wish is for the opposite ending to the picture in my mind. There is always hope!! I only give up on someone once he/she is dead and beyond anyone's help.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Another option is Rebecca, but that feels like a stretch.

I don't think it is a stretch at all. Who else would have a picture of Alec with the tire iron other than the real killer?

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

But what is her motive for killing Derek?

So, we have Rebecca and Ted having an affair, Rebecca getting pregnant, not wanting to keep the twins if she's going to be on her own, so agreeing to adopt out one of the babies to father Ted, who with Kristin in desperate for a child, and Alec organizing to sell the other baby to the highest bidder. Perhaps having remained childless herself and her marriage over, Rebecca has come to Phoenix to try and stake a claim on Sutton, but only after wreaking vengeance on Alec and Ted?

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Maybe the deal was for Rebecca to give/sell the twins to two impartial couples and she found out later that Ted himself adopted one of them? Which could explain the timelag for her revenge scheme if she only found out recently. But I wonder how Ted's botched surgery ties into any of this, since it predates the twins' birth.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

But I wonder how Ted's botched surgery ties into any of this, since it predates the twins' birth.

I was thinking the phone call he received was Rebecca calling about her pregnancy. I imagine if she was that in love with him, she would have initially hoped the pregnancy would convince him to leave Kristin for her and only decided to give up the baby(ies) when it became clear he wouldn't.

Getting a call from his mistress confirming she is pregnant, especially in the midst of fertility troubles with his wife, would probably be enough to throw Ted for a loop.

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a long term revenge scheme Rebecca has for both Alec and Ted. Alec is just first. I'm starting to think, though, that, except for Alec, no one knew that Emma survived the fire/was even born (in Ted's case, perhaps). My only confusion is why the heck did Alec leave Emma in foster care? Why didn't he find another family? She was still pretty young. It's weird. Unless, of course, he too thought she died in the fire and only recently realized that she did not. (Although I can't figure out how that happened, frankly.)

I'm still on board with the idea that more was going on in the past than a simple 'got a girl pregnant' scenario. After all, I mean, seriously ... so Ted slept with someone else and got her pregnant. It just doesn't seem like it should involve this crazy amount of skull-duggary. Why not just put the babies up for adoption the old-fashioned way and be done with it? Why all the craziness? I can sort of see the scenario of wanting to give his wife a baby and so taking one of his own (Sutton), but even then, the amount skulking and craziness is over the top. Ted just needs to 'fess up. It's not like it's illegal. Supermom would forgive him eventually, and everyone would be better off, right?

It just seems like more was happening, like something not so legal was also at play. Or that something terrible happened in conjunction with the whole situation. That leads me back to the idea that Rebecca was a twin and something happened to the twin, something really awful that messed up Char's mother's head and led to her alcoholism and her hatred of Rebecca. I know no one has acknowledged another sister, but maybe Char wouldn't know because the parents have remained mum. Ahh!!! I'm probably too far into left field! Someone pull me back!!

Edited by hotspurious, Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Is it possible Rebecca was told both her children died? If she never agreed to an adoption that might explain why Ted and Alec are acting so furtive.

Moladarin

Moladarin

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

I don't think it is a stretch at all. Who else would have a picture of Alec with the tire iron other than the real killer?

I agree with Misty77. Even if Derek dated Char (whom she's fond of), killing him is really going extreme. Wrong and wicked as it is, without a good motive, she killing him just doesn't make sense. If she's out for revenge against Alec and Ted, then what purpose does it serve by killing him? Framing Ethan for his death is the other result, but what could she gain by it? What would be prevented? I don't know what else Derek's death would accomplish other than framing Ethan and perhaps silencing/killing a smouldering stack of twigs. Unless of course someone else is out for revenge against Ethan; and Derek just happened to be a convenient target, especially after their confrontation. That is a possibility I guess. As far as I know, the only people that seriously wish to keep their involvements and connections with the twins a secret, are Alec and Ted. I don't kow if both (Ethan and Derek) were swimming in hot water, but getting rid of both with a single blow and covering behind their actions - one to the other - seems like something cunning and secretive men would do...

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Maybe the deal was for Rebecca to give/sell the twins to two impartial couples and she found out later that Ted himself adopted one of them? Which could explain the timelag for her revenge scheme if she only found out recently. But I wonder how Ted's botched surgery ties into any of this, since it predates the twins' birth.

Possible, certainly. Maybe she was promised by Alec a bunch of money because he'd found two rich couples to adopt the babies, but she wasn't told until later that Ted and Kristin were one of those couples.

I was thinking the phone call he received was Rebecca calling about her pregnancy. I imagine if she was that in love with him, she would have initially hoped the pregnancy would convince him to leave Kristin for her and only decided to give up the baby(ies) when it became clear he wouldn't.

Totally agree with this theory!

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Q&A With Showrunner (including when the twin swaps will end)

pru22

pru22

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

This needs to be said before I discuss what I believe about Rebecca.

Mads ROCKS! And I floved her advice to Emma about Ethan and slapping the lips off of Sutton's lying face. I also floved how she didn't buy for a second that Sutton was telling Emma the truth.

Emma gets props for punching Sutton in her smug acting face and for letting her know she wasn't going anywhere and that she was going to tell the parents everything.

Now onto Rebecca...there is no way I believe that Rebecca gave up her babies willingly. It's beyond obvious she hates both Alec and Ted for what they did to her in the past and the parts they played in her not having her kids.

I also don't think that Rebecca knows that both of her babies survived and that she realizes Ted and Kristen are raising one of them.

I think Rebecca wasn't that popular in high school and she had a massive crush on Ted and maybe years later they met up and Ted cheated on Kristen because they weren't able to conceive and he was at a low point and then Rebecca ended up preggers by that mistake, and of course he called in his bestest buddy Alec to help him deal with matters.

And whatever they did to Rebecca was beyond messed up and now it's payback.

As far as Ethan goes, Emma needs to kick him to the curb and keep on stepping. He is an idiot and she deserves so much better.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

Now onto Rebecca...there is no way I believe that Rebecca gave up her babies willingly.

This. Nothing else makes sense. If she willingly gave up her children, she wouldn't be out for revenge. Not the kind of revenge where she is insinuating herself into the enemies life. She must feel revolted every time Alec touches her.

If it were just that she was pissed one of the girls went to Ted, she would simply blow his whole life out of the water by exposing him to Kristen and Sutton. Everyone involved is acting too shady for this to have been a mother willingly giving up her children.

Edited by Egeria, Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:07 AM.

pru22

pru22

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

Exactly.

And there is no way in hell she has an inkling that Sutton is one of her twins and that Ted has been raising her the whole time.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ted knew that Sutton was his child with Rebecca but is keeping that truth from Kristen. It would also explain why in episode one Sutton tells Emma that everytime she brings up wanting to know about their biological parents, that Ted is the one who mainly shuts her down.