10-Year Rewatch: TAR17: The Season of Girl Power!

• Please log in to reply

28 replies to this topic

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

Also considered 10-Year Rewatch: TAR17: The Season We've All (or Most of Us) Waited For for the thread title.

Well, there's quite a lot to say about this season, and most of it is very good.

After the "Era of Suck" that was seasons thirteen through sixteen, it was time for the show to really step up its game and turn out an amazing season. Especially considering the Emmy-losing seasons that were TAR15 and TAR16.

And boy, did this one EVER deliver.

I'll come right out and say it was the cast that made this season as successful as it was. A very diverse group of teams and personalities to look through. Even the early boots brought a little something to the table (even if the editing for most of them was still not exactly three-dimensional). Ron & Tony were charming first boots who met a tragically ironic elimination by getting lost in England after smoking the whole cast in getting to the first airport in Boston with great navigation. Even more hilarious were their failed attempts at using the coracles at Eastnor Castle. You had lovely Andie & Jenna, who were controversial to some due to their birth mother/biological daughter hook, but still not exactly offensive (except to, apparently, adoptive parents and/or children). Even with Andie's droning voice, you could tell, for the most part, that they did have the drive, and only getting screwed by an incompetent driver in Ghana did them in. (And really, while their personalities didn't exactly register on the show, Elimination Station really brought their personalities out a lot better.)

Connor & Jonathan were the requisite "funny guys" team (and probably the youngest to fill that role, to boot), and they showed potential with an early leg win. Of course, their singing and Princeton mentions tended to grate after a while, to the point where their first-to-worst finish and subsequent boot in Sweden was probably relieving enough (although it didn't stop them from singing again during their sendoff). But really, they probably weren't going to get much farther with Connor completely carrying the team and Jonathan not doing a single Roadblock. (Four legs they ran, and Connor did all four Roadblocks that came up! Seriously!) There was the requisite team of "mean girls," Katie & Rachel, who were bitchy from the beginning, but still very resilient. Only getting felled by having no bunching point in Norway killed them, which was only slightly a shame, because they looked like they had the goods to go far.

However, what really makes the cast stand out is the F7. You had Michael & Kevin and their strange dynamic, which started out fun to watch but probably got uncomfortable with the "my dad sucks" stance Kevin essentially started to take toward Michael and taking almost everything upon itself. Which made it deliciously ironic that taking everything upon himself the way he did ended up doing them in when they got to Russia, as he misread that clue and got them fatally penalized. (Not that Michael was no innocent, of course.) Still, they were otherwise a joy to watch. And you had the calm, focused Gary and his plucky (but loud) daughter, Mallory, who were also a nice ray of sunshine, as well as a nice contrast to each other. It was sad to see them go in Oman, because three of the teams left behind really caused a lot of grief.

I speak, of course, of the only three true casting clunkers -- the dating couples of Chad & Stephanie, Nick & Vicki, and Jill & Thomas. Now, even then, these three teams weren't as bad as other past dating couples, as each of them had several redeeming qualities, but . . . they were all still fairly bad. You had Chad and his inability to trust Stephanie, as well as treating her like crap more often than not. You had the much-tattooed Nick doing the same with the almost-equally-tattooed Vicki. And similarly, you had Thomas and his Notre-Dame-name-dropping self doing that to Jill. Did they all have positive moments? Of course. Chad's proposal to Stephanie was very lovely, Nick had his "little slice of Ghana moment" in Russia, when he followed Vicki's lead in listening to the victrolas, and Thomas had trusting Jill with the babushka and rappelling Roadblocks and giving her credit where credit was due. But other than that? All of their behavior toward their girlfriends was EPIC FAIL.

But all hope wasn't lost for this season. What made this season really great were our heroines. Two powerful, kick-ass women's teams who made it really far in the game: Brook & Claire and Nat & Kat. The former were some home shopping television hosts with fantastic chemistry, mainly from them being total opposites (Brook was actively loud, Claire was passively quiet). The latter were two focused, poised, determined doctors, one of whom was slightly handicapped by diabetes while the other was handicapped by extreme vegetarianism. Both teams had close calls, but there's no doubt their performances showed that they were all strong women, both in the race and in general. It was absolutely a pleasant surprise to see both teams charge through the race as well as they did and even make the F3! And even better yet, they guaranteed the long-awaited milestone in the show's history: the first all-female winning team EVER. And better still, they went one and two when they brought it about, with Nat & Kat winning and Brook & Claire finishing second!

Of course, other things helped this season succeed, too. There were some terrific tasks, be they Detours, Roadblocks, or other such challenges. England had the hilarious coracle task, as well as the famous (or possibly infamous) watermelon Roadblock that gave Claire, to be quite frank, a whole lot of trouble. Both Ghana legs had outstanding Detours (the Roadblocks weren't too bad, either), Sweden had a great Detour choice and a funny Roadblock, both Russia legs had superb Detours (both times, I couldn't tell which could be faster, so you know that's a good task!) and deceptively simple Roadblocks, and even Bangladesh and Hong Kong's tasks weren't too shabby. Also, the Tae Kwon Do Roadblock in South Korea.

There were some bad tasks, obviously, like Michael & Kevin's "sitting on ice" Speed Bump in Sweden and the Detour in Oman, as well as most of the final leg (save for the riddles and the final task).

This season also introduced the Express Pass, when the team who wins it can skip any task they don't want to do up to the eighth leg. Jill & Thomas won it on leg one, but ended up panic-wasting it on leg four. (Admittedly, with the information they had, they were probably right to use it, but I still rather they have ridden it out and seen for sure.)

Route wise, it was another easterly route, but they actually had some good repeats, for once. For one thing, we had the first visit to South Korea since TAR4, as well as the first trek to Oman since TAR9. And there were, of course, new countries in Ghana and Bangladesh. Oh, and this was the first season since All-Stars to not start in L.A.! We started in Gloucester, MA, instead! We still ended in L.A., though.

All in all, nearly every episode was suspenseful from start to finish, the cast was spectacular, the F3 was very deserving of getting there (even if the third-place-finishers weren't exactly a team I was particularly fond of), and the tasks were fantastic. 10/10. Even with Jill & Thomas (well . . . mainly Thomas) being in the F3 over Gary & Mallory, I still think this season is worthy of a perfect score.

Okay. One more week after this one. Enjoy this week!

Zach808

Zach808

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 3:00 AM

Man, this season was SUCH a breath of fresh air after seasons 15 and 16. The only crappy part of this season were the dating couples, but everyone else was awesome. A nice, balanced route with some new countries, and several interesting tasks (I really liked the Detours in Sweden and Russia). My favorite teams were Nat/Kat, Brook/Claire, and Gary/Mallory.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 7:38 PM

I'll come right out and say it was the cast that made this season as successful as it was. A very diverse group of teams and personalities to look through.

I disagree. That absolute travesty of a Hong Kong leg aside (which made the offensive All-Stars leg there seem positively well-planned by comparison), the cast were the weakest link in the season for me. When you've got a great set of locations and generally decent tasks (occasionally slightly mundane *cough*AfricaMapTask*cough* but still enjoyable), the cast really didn't hold up. I think you could get rid of most of this cast without really missing them, they were that bland. Let's say this season uses the commonly-perceived-as-nasty TAR16 cast, but replaces the cops with Brook/Claire and replaces Brent/Caite with Chad/Stephanie (IMO the least odious dating couple this season, but YMMV). Is there really anybody from this season you'd miss? I don't think so. A diverse cast is wonderful and all (though they've really got to stop with the "all-Asians-have-slanty-eyes" tokenism), but they forgot to find interesting people of different backgrounds.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

TheGrimRecapper
I disagree. That absolute travesty of a Hong Kong leg aside (which made the offensive All-Stars leg there seem positively well-planned by comparison), the cast were the weakest link in the season for me.

Not for me. I loved this cast. A lot. Nearly every team was the reason I actually looked forward to each episode of this season.

I think what really made the cast, though, was the women. Lots of strong, powerful, formidable women. You had Nat, Kat, Brook, Claire, Jill, Vicki, Mallory (to an extent), Katie, and Rachel. Hell, even Andie & Jenna could rock out physical tasks their two legs in the race. (I outright refuse to list Stephanie among them. No matter how much she deluded herself, she was neither strong nor powerful nor formidable, except when it came to crying or being Chad's doormat.) Actually, I think this is the only season so far to feature the women so much more prominently than the men, and better yet, portray them in better lights. Ron, Tony, Connor, Jonathan, Michael, Kevin, and Gary got decent edits, I guess, but Chad, Nick, and Thomas were presented as clear-cut villains throughout the season (sometimes alternating from week to week as the villain du jour) as they opposed the heroines that were Nat & Kat and Brook & Claire and alternately browbeat Stephanie, Vicki, and Jill.

I do agree that Chad & Stephanie were probably the least offensive of the dating couples, though. Still disliked Chad, though. And Nick I found better than I found Chad until around the Oman leg, when he laid into Vicki for helping out Brook & Claire.

But the worst of the three boyfriends I definitely thought was Thomas. At least Chad and Nick were aggressively mean to their girlfriends. What I really can't stand is someone being mean in a passive-aggressive way, which is what I found so off-putting about Thomas. The way he'd basically lord his college education over simple-hairdresser Jill was just . . . ugh. Not to mention how he clearly treated her like he thought she was a.) beneath him and b.) dumb. Really no defending that (but boy, oh, boy, did redrobin27 and sinycalone ever try, and borderline-sycophantically, I might add).

I've gotta say that the editing made it way too obvious, at least by a certain point, that an all-female team was finally winning. As someone said on either Brook & Claire or Nat & Kat's thread, the storyline of their bond/friendship was played up several times throughout the season. It was more than apparent that the race was gonna come down to the two of their teams once they made up two of the F3. As was the fact that of the F3 teams, Jill & Thomas's edit was all (or mainly) about Thomas and not at all (or very little) about Jill (as indicated by Phil saying it was Brook & Claire and Nat & Kat going up against "the last man standing" in the preview for the finale). Teams whose edits are mainly, if not solely, about one member of the team you can more or less count out for the win.

But yeah, other than the wastes of space that were the three boyfriends, the cast easily wins the prize for one of the best ever for me. Much better sense of camaderie among the teams than TAR15 and TAR16 had.

Edited by Nalan, Oct 3, 2011 @ 1:59 PM.

kenlovejino

kenlovejino

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 1:46 AM

This season is probly one of the best. Brook is hilarious, spitted lots of quotable quotes.

And Ron & Tony even eliminated first, is memorable to me. I still laughed so hard when Tony (the big guy) said "I have 100 lbs more back here." lmao - huge ass sir. lol..

So many annoying people in the season however.
There's Kevin with his constant "My dad sucks" hints & comments. Why did he enter with his dad in the first place?
Then Chad & Stephanie which is like the Nathan & Jennifer of this season. I'm surprised Stephanie accepted his proposal.
Then Nick. I seriously think he's bipolar. In Hong Kong he was being an a$$hole then in Korea he was like tra la la.
And lastly Thomas with his constantly bringing up of his college degree. Is that made of gold Thomas?

The routes and tasks were splendid. I especially love the detour tasks in Russia. And Sweden was gorgeously presented.

The last leg in LA though was kind of the weakest leg for me. I wish it was in somewhere else like NY or Maine.

This could be my 2nd favorite after Season 13. (unpopular opinion here lol)

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 2:34 AM

kenlovejino
There's Kevin with his constant "My dad sucks" hints & comments. Why did he enter with his dad in the first place?

Because Michael was part of the package deal due to his and Kevin's "Internet sensations" hook.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I was not a fan of this season at all. The louder of the two HSN pair drove me nuts. Good team, but I just didn't like her at all. Too muggy. None of the teams really stand out as interested. Some highly competent teams (both pairs of women) but most of the final seven irritated me far more than entertained me. All three dating couples sucked. Kevin sucked. Nat and Kat were fine, but were more pure ruthless efficiency than anything else. Good result at least.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

I think it was a fine-enough series with a fine-enough cast and a decent route. Nothnig spectacular or stand-out, nothing awful. The only thnig that ticked me off with shifting the edit hard in the favour of the "GIRL POWER" theme, meannig pretty much every man on the season (except Invisigary) got a negative edit. (Connor & Jonathan singing every 5 secon was a very negative edit indeed for my ears). Which led to Jill & Thomas being amongst the most anonymous finallists ever and them having to resort to "HE SAID EXTREMITIES!" and "HE REMEMBERS WHAT UNIVERSITY HE WENT TO!" as negatives for him, and the odd clip of him being about as patronising at his worst as, say, Hayden was at her very very best. Which is a shame, because it's probably the most even final they've ever had in terms of quality of racers (all three teams I'd say had about an equal stab at it) and they blew it with vaguely misandrist editing and sloppy planning.

Brooke & Claire are still amazing though. And I quite like Mallory before the pitch-shift she underwent before UB. And Nick & Vicki are actually kind of fun and endearing before he morphs into a giant douchelord about half way through (which clearly wasn't editing - he was just a douchelord). And whilst Nat & Kat are oatmeal winners, they're no more so than the first all-male winning team were, so it's hard to hold it against them too much.

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 6:50 PM

NotPatrick
Which led to Jill & Thomas being amongst the most anonymous finallists ever and them having to resort to "HE SAID EXTREMITIES!" and "HE REMEMBERS WHAT UNIVERSITY HE WENT TO!" as negatives for him, and the odd clip of him being about as patronising at his worst as, say, Hayden was at her very very best.

Given that Jill herself worried about living up to his expectations for her, I don't think that was just an edit. And I thought he was just condescending and, yes, patronizing enough to deserve every bit of the portrayal he got.

But I don't think every man was edited negatively. Ron & Tony were the first team gone and they got a pretty decent edit. Michael got a very nice edit, too (not so much Kevin, though).

It's also not like all the women got good edits. Katie & Rachel, anyone? And Stephanie, whose delusions about being the strongest woman in the race were put on full display?

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

If Katie & Rachel were on the race how they were in Elimination Station (which is watched by what, 3 people and a dog?) then they got a hell of a positive edit, because they seemed borderline unhinged on that. Based on the show they came off fairly likable.

Jill's insecurities are on her, not Thomas, IMO and they mostly seemed to be a fairly weak and contrived hook to get on the race in the first place anyway (I'm a hairdresser! He's got a degree! Wacky!). Their behaviour on the course (not that we saw much of it) didn't strike me as out of the ordinary for any team where one member was much more smart and pro-active than the other (Meaghan and Shayne for example).

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 5:41 AM

I always feel like Nat & Kat got a little bit unfairly labelled as a bit of a boring team, when I thought they were quite fun. I liked their dry sense of humor, like when Nat was telling the silent Viking at the sheep head FF that he was very encouraging. I liked the fact too that they powered through things that they had problems with - like vegetarian Kat with the meat-eating or vertigo-suffering Nat with that bungee thing in the finale - with the minimum of fuss and drama. The finale proved they knew to do their research too. I'm really glad the first all-female team to win a race was them and not someone like that stank Jaime and her partner Cara.

And I know she wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I loved Brooke (well, apart from that annoying kissing the locals thing). She was determined and got things done, but still had fun at the same time (loved her dancing at that karaoke bar!). I know a lot of people felt that she was annoying for constantly encouraging Claire on, but I felt like the more passive Claire needed a partner who'd jolly her along a little, and she never seemed to me to be annoyed about it in their interviews. I'm really sorry they couldn't have returned for Unfinished Business.

Jill's insecurities are on her, not Thomas, IMO and they mostly seemed to be a fairly weak and contrived hook to get on the race in the first place anyway (I'm a hairdresser! He's got a degree! Wacky!).

I think Thomas played a part in her insecurities too - in their intro didn't he very passive-aggressively say that he never imagined ending up with a woman who didn't have a degree? That kind of attitude has to have impacted on her.

I liked Vicki a lot - even though she wasn't the brightest racer, she was tough and determined - but I felt so bad for her that Nick ended up being such a douchenozzle. And I couldn't stand Chad and Stephanie, tacky public proposal and all.

And has there ever been more of a weenie on the race than Jonathan? I still can't believe he didn't even do one roadblock. And his performance on the sledding was dire. Connor deserved a way better partner.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 6:01 AM

And has there ever been more of a weenie on the race than Jonathan? I still can't believe he didn't even do one roadblock. And his performance on the sledding was dire. Connor deserved a way better partner.

Tian? Or Jaree, whichever one it was that sat out of not four but six consecutive Road Blocks, becoming the only person in race history to reach the halfway mark without performing a single one? At least Connor & Jonathan didn't really argue.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 4:07 PM

That was Jaree. I do find it funny that Jonathan was apparently trying to avoid being injured specifically so he could and participate in "Spiderman : Turn Off The Dark".

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

That was funny, especially because in each of the four Roadblocks he pawned off on Connor, there was ZERO chance of him getting injured that much.

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

I agree that this season had a great cast. It seems that the producers are starting to realize that there are more of us fans in the "don't like bickering within or between teams" category than are in the "bickering is what makes teams interesting" category, and they are casting accordingly. This season gave me two of my four favorite TAR teams of all time in Nat & Kat and Gary & Mallory. I liked how Nat & Kat tackled everything in their path with great attitudes and teamwork and without manufactured drama. I cheered so loudly when they won. Gary & Mallory were a team that grew on me as the race went on (and into Unfinished Business as well). Mallory was so fun to watch with her enthusiasm for even the littlest things and her funny candid quotes. And Gary was one of the most competent racers ever with his combination of great physical fitness and a wide range of experience and knowledge. There relationship was fun to watch, as it was clear they adored each other.

The tasks and locations were great as well, especially in Sweden and Russia. The dog sledding and tech sledding were fun to watch. The piano/film detour in St. Petersburg was one of the best ever, with both sides being more difficult than it would seem at first. The Gorodki bowling challenge really contrasted the older two racers as Michael (whom I liked as a person but not as a racer) struggled endlessly while Gary gave one of the most impressive roadblock performances of all time by knocking out all three peg formations on the first toss. I also really liked the final memory task in game show format. It would have been fun to see all three teams trying that at the same time, but at least I was happy knowing that Nat & Kat were in the lead.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

Cheetah0131
This season gave me two of my four favorite TAR teams of all time in Nat & Kat and Gary & Mallory. I liked how Nat & Kat tackled everything in their path with great attitudes and teamwork and without manufactured drama. I cheered so loudly when they won. Gary & Mallory were a team that grew on me as the race went on (and into Unfinished Business as well). Mallory was so fun to watch with her enthusiasm for even the littlest things and her funny candid quotes. And Gary was one of the most competent racers ever with his combination of great physical fitness and a wide range of experience and knowledge. There relationship was fun to watch, as it was clear they adored each other.

I loved those teams, too, but no Brook & Claire love?

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

I loved those teams, too, but no Brook & Claire love?

Certainly! Brook & Claire were part of what made this one of the best casts ever. They are in my second tier of favorite teams of all time.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

NotPatrick
If Katie & Rachel were on the race how they were in Elimination Station (which is watched by what, 3 people and a dog?) then they got a hell of a positive edit, because they seemed borderline unhinged on that. Based on the show they came off fairly likable.

Per many teams' interviews, they were indeed like that on the show. I still remember either Katie or Rachel's "dumb doctor" comment about Nat, and then her relishing what reaction she'd be having to going up the mountain since she was afraid of heights.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

What a breath of fresh air.

The past few seasons of TAR I've tried to watch didn't go over so well. I stopped halfway through seasons 13-15, stopped watching for 16, 17 and 18, and am still debating whether or not to continue with 19.

But today I went back to try some of the ones I'd missed, and spent the entire day just devouring Season 17. It was such an odd sensation to actually find myself liking most of the teams! And not knowing which I wanted to be eliminated!

Brook/Claire were hilarious, entertaining, and kickass. Kat and Nat were amazing all the way through. Michael and Kevin were hilarious, some of Mallory's quips made her quite enjoyable herself, and, though this is probably an unpopular opinion, I really liked Stephanie and Chad. Part of it is lust for Chad, but I also thought most of his "mistreatment" of Stephanie was ingrained in his fiery personality and were never maliciously directed toward her. He also apologized for it quickly, and actually seemed to take his vows to change seriously, unlike a certain somebody else.

Thomas and Nick, however, are another story, and they were probably the only low notes for the season. Thomas wasn't really bad in an aggressive sort of way, but I do think he feels superior to Jill, which makes me angry, especially since she seemed like a really nice person. And Nick was just despicable. All things considered, Vicki is probably one of the least complain-y, high maintenance, or annoying girls ever on the race. She put up with his shit masterfully. Yet the amount of insults, "shut ups", "I don't care about your sorrys" and "dudes" she had to endure were disgusting. They are also one of the weakest teams to ever make F4, with 2 non elims, no firsts, and falling over 9 hours behind.

Although I can't say I loved the early eliminated teams, they were mostly good TV and actually had fully flushed personalities. I partially thank the extended season premiere. Tony and Ron were really nice, entertaining guys, and Andie/Jenna had an interesting story arc, even if I found them to be a bit "meh". I also found Connor/Jonathan a bit irritiating, but they had their moments, and Katie/Rachel were pretty bitchy, but I always enjoy a good athletic female duo.

Overall, this is one of my favorite seasons to date. After whirling through the entire season in one day, I was all inspired and have begun watching Season 16 - and am a bit disappointed, only two episodes in, how the entire atmosphere of the Season is so different. Everyone seems so hateful and unlikeable. But I will give it a few more episodes before I call it DOA.

Edited by Oholibamah, Nov 11, 2011 @ 11:59 PM.

FatLynn

FatLynn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

I think the problem for me, with the casting, was just how obvious it was that the Amazing producers wanted a F/F team to win. There were THREE teams of 20/30-something very athletic women in the mix, and ZERO M/M teams of that sort. I was excited to see a F/F team win, but I wish that it felt like a F/F team won a real season, not that a F/F team won a season designed to be won by a F/F team.

Nalan

Nalan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

FatLynn
I was excited to see a F/F team win, but I wish that it felt like a F/F team won a real season, not that a F/F team won a season designed to be won by a F/F team.

To get that feeling, watch the following season.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

I wouldn't describe either the doctors or particularly Claire as "very athletic".

Paron Xanthis

Paron Xanthis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

FatLynn
I think the problem for me, with the casting, was just how obvious it was that the Amazing producers wanted a F/F team to win. There were THREE teams of 20/30-something very athletic women in the mix, and ZERO M/M teams of that sort. I was excited to see a F/F team win, but I wish that it felt like a F/F team won a real season, not that a F/F team won a season designed to be won by a F/F team.

I was excited that an all-female team finally won, too, and I don't think they won simply because the season was designed to be won by an all-female team. Especially since throughout the season, the one non-all-female team in the F3 provided some good competition to the two all-female teams who made it to the end. And Nat & Kat and Brook & Claire BOTH had to face some tasks where men had the advantage over women, anyway, and still managed to finish them.

So yeah. I think Nat & Kat won a "real" season in TAR17 just as much as I think Kisha & Jen won a "real" season in TAR18.

Besides, now that they've gotten the first women's team victory (and even the second one right after it!), the show can work on securing that first parent/child team victory.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

Paron Xanthis
So yeah. I think Nat & Kat won a "real" season in TAR17 just as much as I think Kisha & Jen won a "real" season in TAR18.

Agreed wholeheartedly. So what if there were no alpha-male teams this season? There were plenty of alpha-couples that gave the women's teams competition, and that's all that matters. Nat & Kat won this season fair and square. Hands down.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Just saw this series and Brook was an absolute star in my opinion, so close to winning as well. Best moment was when she beat Chad's group, happy to see him gone. Loved it when she got through the u-turn, though two competed in that (which makes sense with that kind of twist, it's pointless if only one team is penalised). Brook was funny doing the bunjee jump, she really did go bananas as she said.

Worst moment was when Chad beat Michael and Kevin. But loved it when Michael and Kevin managed to pull through in Africa and then found it was a non-elimination leg, that was a great moment for me. Two of the men in this series made it hard to watch though, Chad and the guy who was in the 'punk rockers' (as some called them) tattoed group. Can't believe how both of them talked to their partners. Then we always had an interview with them saying how sorry they were and how they had learnt, followed by them in some later program doing the same old things again. Just in the editing? Surely they could have acted better to have had some better editing. They left a sour taste in this series for me.

Overall I suspect I'll look back on it as one of the better series as the tasks were pretty good. Unfortunately viewing it before I saw the older ones I now have a huge spoiler of knowing no female group won before. I really wasn't expecting to have to hear a huge spoiler like that by series 17. I think there was a spoiler about u-turns in it too. Oh well, I'm glad I saw it just to see Brook anyway

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Nat and Kat have been one of my favorite teams. I wouldn't call them boring, they exuded calm competence. They were used to working in stressful, high paced environment and they just didn't let that ruffle them much. They both had to deal with difficult things (a vegetarian eating meat, confronting fear of heights) and they both supported each other.

As far as the *cough*AfricaMapTask goes I actually really liked it since it took place at a school so you can get the schadenfreude of the schoolchildren thinking the racers were being idiots and it highlighted what ignoramuses most Americans are when it comes to geography, particularly geography of Africa. I was amused that Gary got it right on the first try, I think the's an amateur pilot so he probably perused the in flight map.

Edited by soapygirl, Oct 14, 2012 @ 7:51 PM.

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

Of the three awful boyfriends, I thought Thomas was the only one to actually change over the race and start actually listening to Jill.

The Africa map task is one of my favorites, especially for the hapless Princeton-Princeton-Princeton guys. I hope teams now peruse the flight magazine to ensure they can identify whatever country they're in, just in case a similar task comes up and they're stuck staring at a map of Europe and Asia, with no idea where they are beyond "not England."

DonnyKetchum

DonnyKetchum

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

Of the three awful boyfriends, I thought Thomas was the only one to actually change over the race and start actually listening to Jill.

He only changed for one episode to listen to her.  After that, he was pretty much back to disregarding most of the help she tried to give again.  Chad, if anything, actually changed more by listening to Stephanie.

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

I adored Nat and Kat, they were easily my favorite winners. Their intelligence, humor and grace under pressure made them a really fun team to route for. 

The schadenfreude over "We're from insert-prestigious university here but we still can't find your country on a map" in front of a group of school children was awesome.

I really wasn't crazy about Mallory and Gary until all-stars when we discovered she was a total beast at solving puzzles.  Gary actually always seemed like a really nice guy.