Hal Mason: Tom's Eldest Son (Ladies, He’s Single!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6 replies to this topic

distantWatcher

distantWatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

Sometimes a senior, sometimes a junior, Hal Mason is both Tom's first born and his most loyal Scout. He has a missing girlfriend in the form of Karen, a potential girlfriend in Lourdes and a potential ally in Maggie so, wherever he goes, there's an age appropiate female character competing for his attention.

However, he's a devoted big brother to Ben and Matt

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

Nice pun in the thread title - "Eldest" is right!

It's nice that Tom can be proud of Hal's bravery and acting as a man and such, but since the show has chosen to make the character 16 (for some odd reason), I feel the show is making him out to be too super. While all the feats and maturity are cool, I think it would be more realistic to see more teenage attitudes/behavior manifest at times.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

I don't know, I've always had faith teenage characters act all emo and bitchy only because most shows give them way too much spare time to craft how to steal their best friend's boyfriend/girlfriend and/or bully the Glee club: Give them a task and make them responsible to save the world for the next generation and they might as well surprise us.

Like Hal and Karen did.

Edited by agora, Aug 13, 2011 @ 9:43 AM.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 11:30 PM

wherever he goes, there's an age appropiate female character competing for his attention.

Well, there's the issue of the age the character is supposed to be, the age the actor actually is, and somewhere in-between and beyond. I'm not feeling the sparks between him and Saint Lourdes. He suffered significant memory loss when Karen got dragged away only to regain it miraculously upon spotting her with that sexy lobster jewelry, serving tea in a French maid's outfit, accompanied by his macho silver competition. Do they really have any chance of rekindling their Romeo and Juliet roles?

distantWatcher

distantWatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 10:17 AM

Sometimes a senior, sometimes a junior, Hal Mason is both Tom's first born and his most loyal Scout. He has a missing girlfriend in the form of Karen, a potential girlfriend in Lourdes and a potential ally in Maggie so, wherever he goes, there's an age appropiate female character competing for his attention.

Well, there's the issue of the age the character is supposed to be, the age the actor actually is, and somewhere in-between and beyond. I'm not feeling the sparks between him and Saint Lourdes.

I think the problem I have with Lourdes is that she was basically repeating Karen lines whenever a new girl was checking out Hal, it almost feels like that's all what he can do whenever he's not fighting skitters: to make a girl jealous.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 12:33 PM

it almost feels like that's all what he can do whenever he's not fighting skitters: to make a girl jealous.

I haven't seen Hal go out of his way to make any girl jealous -- they just swarm around him like he's a male pheromone factory. Personally, I think the show needs some other macho males to make Hal a little jealous when they get some attention. Right now, he's our key Boy Scout, not counting Jimmy. However, I don't believe the show will go there because they're on the simple narrow Disney line and can't keep their details straight as it is. We couldn't possibly follow a character who's got two bros and a dad to keep track of plus a war to fight. The girls are just, ya know, GIRLS. However, I believe he did pick up a pink heart along the line for a particular one, if that's anywhere in his memory bank.

distantWatcher

distantWatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 12:45 PM

I think the problem I have with Lourdes is that she was basically repeating Karen lines whenever a new girl was checking out Hal, it almost feels like that's all what he can do whenever he's not fighting skitters: to make a girl jealous.

I haven't seen Hal go out of his way to make any girl jealous -- they just swarm around him like he's a male pheromone factory. Personally, I think the show needs some other macho males to make Hal a little jealous when they get some attention.

Personally, I like Hal better when he sounds so bitterly realistic about the possibility of having children of his own - cuz he'd die before that happens - and the irony of being trusted with weapons when his parents wouldn't trust him with the family car.

I think it adds a certain level of yearning to his father-like interaction with his brothers (the sons he might never get the chance to have).

Edited by distantWatcher, Aug 14, 2011 @ 12:46 PM.