The Chew: We'll Trade You Erica Kane for Mario Batali & His Crocs

• Please log in to reply

1343 replies to this topic

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

I am sure that the "All My Children" fans are just livid -- must be thinking "they cancelled our beloved show for this??"

Exactly. For the first time since I was young, I had no AMC to watch. I actually like Michael Symon, and thought I could tolerate Mario. But on the premeire of a show that is suppose to reflect the new daytime, and Mario couldn't be bothered to show up for the launch? Odd.

I can't take much of Daughter Oz, I am betting in a month or two when they have to re-tool this because of failing ratings, she'll be the first tool to go.

Not sure who Carla is, but I'm liking her. It's a shame, I forgot about what I had just watched before the credits.

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

Yup. Against my better judgement and despite a vow not to tune in out of loyalty to my beloved AMC...I did for a few minutes here and there...(yeah, I'm weak) it sucked. Major donkey balls...and I don't care if they were batter dipped, sauteed and served with a red wine reduction....it was really bad.

FU Frons.

ETA...what Ducky said....Mario couldn't show up for the first show? And that pizza was burnt, dude.

Edited by OhioSongbird, Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:32 PM.

BillandGrace

BillandGrace

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

Major disappointment. So slick, so bright, so perfect, so BORING! Just how many times do they think I can get excited about watching pork cooking in a pan?

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

It wasn't great, but it was their first show so I'll cut them some slack. I'll keep watching when I can (not usually home at this time and don't want to crowd up the DVR). I love almost everyone on the show, the exception being the Oz girl and that's because I had never heard of her. I think they need to slow it down a bit. Every segment seemed on hyper drive. Again, I'm thinking (hoping) that is just first show jitters and in a short while it will be better.

I thought the look Clinton gave at one of the many times Carla mentioned him wanting her box was hilarious. Because you know his mind went to the gutter (and then mine followed). And that look was surprise coupled with bewilderment, almost. Almost like the thought bubble would say something like "Uh no, really not interested in your box. Gay, you know."

I liked all of Clinton's ideas - didn't know he was a foodie. Actually, I liked the look of all the food. If nothing else, this looks like I'll be getting some good recipes from their website.

If Mario couldn't be there I almost wish they had pre-taped his segment. I know it was the launch of the show and all, but those kind of live feeds are never great, with the delay and all.

Edited by aquarian1, Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:05 PM.

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

Good griefous... what in creation have talk shows deteriorated to... This was the ultimate yahoo fest. What with all the hootin' and hollerin' by hosts and audience alike, I was dying for some peace and quiet by the time it was over. No one on this show had much of an appeal to me whatsoever. Bony Prominence said it better than me. Ugh.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:39 PM

It was staged and filmed like one of those late night informercials.

They have a tough gig filling that time slot with something so different from AMC, but it is so hyper. If "Gordon" is Gordon Elliot (as I'm pretty sure from t he accent it was), then he's the guy who used to produce Paula Dean's night time show which was so embarrassingly OTT and awful.

Clearly they are following the same idea--"Speak extra loudly, laugh extra hard". The audience who is clearly instructed to "ooh and ah" over EVERYTHING, and they must plash them the "Applause" sign every minute, its zyoo muvh. (I liked Carla on Top Chef. But do pan-fried apple rings really need syrup?)

dimples1

dimples1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

the beige-ness of it all...

That's a perfect word used to describe this mess. I'm a fan of Carla and I enjoy Michael Symon, when he's on the Food Network and I really do LOVE dining in Mario's restaurants, but this mess of a show IS so not needed to have a one-hour program on tv.

I know that the show is cheap and we are referring to network tv, but wouldn't you want to at LEAST try to achieve a low cost program that doesn't come across as cheap (and I'm talking about the quality of the program)? Like, you actually care about what you're putting out there, as a program?

Like you gave a damn. Something...

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

I cannot wait to see Carla Hall on tv every day. Hootie Hoo indeed! (small voice, hate the title).

Is Gordon Elliot behind all the over-the-top perkiness? This show was exhausting in the first ten minutes! They should rename it Cooks on Crack. Carla is funny and outgoing on her own; no one needs to push her into being exuberant--all that extra mugging and teasing and moving to the music. QUIT IT! This show is not good. With all the complaints about the hosts of The View always talking over each other, one would think these producers would take note. Maybe I'll give it a week to see if someone can tone it down.

estellasmom

estellasmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

I'm home sick, and I thought I'd veg in front of the TV and watch this, as I love Mario, Carla and Michael, but Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. I turned over and watched Cheers reruns instead.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

ETA...what Ducky said....Mario couldn't show up for the first show? And that pizza was burnt, dude.

I didn't think it looked good either OhioSongbird but the "you are either Italian or wish you were" tude from him grated. Actually Mario, I'm pretty happy being a hillbilly. I'll bet our homemade dandelion wine measures up to your vino anyday.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:37 PM

It was like "Rachael Ray" x 5 -- not a good thing (apologies to Martha.)

And when Carla hauled out the pumpkin pie spice, did anyone else immediately think of Sandra Lee? It's her favorite ingredient (next to booze, of course.)

Edited by SnarklePuss, Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:40 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

I was so horribly embarrassed for Carla as she endlessly shouted about Clinton staring at her box. I can only assume she is desperate to get on SNL and knows that type of cheap catchphrase is the fastest way to do it.

Daphne Oz looks like her father in a blonde wig. On paper her father being there to see her was a nice gesture but onscreen he just unwittingly exposed how utterly out of her depth she is as a TV personality.

Mario Batali not even wanting to be there was hilarious. How long is his contract for? I think he'll be gone in 6 months.

I hate when people have to act so overly familiar with each other. It's not believable or watchable. Carla, Clinton, Michael, and Dr. Oz Daughter look like they wouldn't even give each other the time of day.

Bittlesmom

Bittlesmom

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 4:01 PM

I really like Carla,Michael and Clinton, not a fan of Mario and not impressed with the Oz child. With that said the whole program just seemed frantic to me. I just wanted everyone to calm down.

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

Cool...hillbilly power! Sandy Hook, KY native here (just outside of Morehead).

I can take Mario in (very) small doses and am not familiar with any of the others outside of the occasional sighting on a cooking segment here and there on the morning shows and The View, etc...(living in the country....no cable).

Clinton...just annoying.

Carla....trying too hard (my friend says she looks like a peacock...have to agree *hee* but I think I could get used to her).

Michael....seems like a good cook.

Daphne.....can't stand her dad so unfortunately my opinion is front-loaded.

I won't be watching this crapfest.

celest

celest

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

I'm bitter and rooting for this to fail, so does anyone know when and where I can find out how this did in the ratings? Do they post them daily or is it a weekly thing?

Smackeymouth

Smackeymouth

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

I DVR'd it (I'm a Days of Our Lives girl). It does feel a bit frantic, but I really enjoyed it! It could be my undying love for Carla (hootie hoo!), Clinton, and Michael Symon blinding my sensibilities, but I thought it was fun. I'll keep watching to see if they calm down and settle into more of a routine.

Carla looks EXACTLY like her mother. There is no denying those genes!

Edited by Smackeymouth, Sep 26, 2011 @ 5:08 PM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 5:29 PM

Today was the first time I cried about losing All My Children. If ABC was hellbent on replacing 40-plus year beloved soaps, the least they could have done was fucking attempt to make the replacement kind of good right out the gate.

There are any number of cooking shows that are more informative, entertaining and original on PBS and YouTube if you don't have cable. I'm trying to wrap my head around why this show was needed, especially now that I've seen some of the finished product. I would have taken another hour of Good Morning America over this shit.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 6:03 PM

The first show was just awful, like a first test screening of a bad infomercial. The opening went on forever introducing everyone only for Clinton to introduce them all over again. The lighting was bad. It showed every wrinkle on them & the background of the set wasn't lit enough. The city backdrops looked like a cloudy mist rolled in they were so underlit. All the hosts must have had a case of red bull before coming out.

I'm not getting anything here I can't get on a fav Food network show. I can't see this lasting a second season.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 6:24 PM

I watched most of it while I was at the gym today. I like the hosts a lot, but really, not that interesting. If it's on, maybe, but I certainly won't be searching for it.

DebbieM

DebbieM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 6:37 PM

Disappointing, but it's brand new, so I'll give it a little more time. I hope it gets better fast. I have a feeling I'm not going to feel like being patient.

I liked all of them except the Oz girl. Her demeanor and just about everything she said irritated me. I'm not sure why. I also don't understand why her dad stayed so long. It was sweet that he showed up with flowers, but then he started talking on and on and on. I have nothing against the guy, but it's his daughter's show, not his. I don't think he needed to be such a presence. We already know that she wouldn't be on TV at all if not for him. His overly-long appearance was just an additional reminder that she's only there because her dad is Dr. Oz. (Unless she has accomplished some things I'm not aware of).

I like Carla a lot, and the others too - although it was a little too frenzied at times to sort out who was saying what. I saw the bit with the box, but didn't understand it. What was in the box that they were making such a big deal about? I was a bit distracted and obviously missed something important.

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

I also don't understand why her dad stayed so long. It was sweet that he showed up with flowers, but then he started talking on and on and on.

After his appearance, I googled to see if he might be a producer of the show, but couldn't find anything.

canuck027

canuck027

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

K, am unsure who the DO Host?
I may/or misheard that she is Dr Oz's daughter...
This show is trying way too hard hard to gain former AMC viewers...

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

I also don't understand why her dad stayed so long. It was sweet that he showed up with flowers, but then he started talking on and on and on.

Initially, I thought his appearance really was a surprise to her, but when he handled the serving of the smoothie so well, it seemed a little too planned.

I like Carla a lot, and the others too - although it was a little too frenzied at times to sort out who was saying what. I saw the bit with the box, but didn't understand it. What was in the box that they were making such a big deal about? I was a bit distracted and obviously missed something important.

Double entendre that didn't work? Carla, self-described pack rat, supposedly found a 40+year old Betty Crocker box of recipe cards (it was an old subscription deal in the 70's... I used to have one). Plenty for sale on eBay.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

I agree it was flawed and really really rushed but I think it has potential. I thought Clinton did really well, even when they were making him race through his appetizers. I thought Carla seemed nervous but she chilled out a bit toward the end. I love Michael Symon no matter what. I like Mario on his old show, think he's a great chef, and love eating at his restaurants but he can come across a bit pompous and I'll be interested to see how he mixes with this crew. Coattails girl can fall off a cliff for all I care. Never heard of her, don't watch her daddy's show, don't think her genes qualify her for being on TV. She completely lost me with her crappy "food is medicine" schtick. The show is about food and the others on it celebrate food and all its sensuous pleasures. She totally doesn't fit in. Go take your medicine food and play with your dad and get off my guilty pleasure. I hope she goes away and the whole vibe relaxes and then we may have something.

DebbieM

DebbieM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

Double entendre that didn't work? Carla, self-described pack rat, supposedly found a 40+year old Betty Crocker box of recipe cards (it was an old subscription deal in the 70's... I used to have one).

Thank you. I was actually interested when she was talking about that recipe box with the cards, because I had one too. I still have it, actually. Somehow I didn't connect "recipe box" with "box". Just me, I'm sure. Thanks for clarifying. I did find Carla's little segment interesting. She comes across as natural and a pro at the same time. I've always felt that way about her.

The Oz Daughter seemed to have a superior attitude and didn't fit in with the others, IMO. "I guess that would count as a fruit serving" really bothered me. She said it in such a condescending way. And not every single thing a person eats has to have nutritional value. Yes, we should be educated and shown some easy, awesome healthy food. I just get the feeling she's going to analyze the health value of everything and insist on making me feel bad if I want to eat crappy, greasy food once in awhile. OMG, I can't believe how much I don't like her already. Nepotism + snotty attitude does that to me.

It was awkward when they all grabbed the drinks off the tray. Clearly they were meant for some members of the audience and there were so few available to begin with. I think they were overly excited and enthusiastic, and maybe feeling a little too loose. The whole show was a bit too much of a free-for-all for me. But hopefully they'll tighten it up and tweak it. I agree with whoever said it has potential.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 1:33 AM

I actually have every reason to want to like this show, being a foodie and loving Carla, Mario and Michael and being a die hard "What not to Wear" fan who even met Clinton Kelly once and got an autographed copy of one of his books.

That said, it's a total snooze. Total overkill too. Five (count 'em) FIVE hosts, people! And all of them talking at once over each other at high volume so you can't even make out what they're saying! And an overly loud and in-our-face audience amping it up even MORE. Cheez, this show makes "The View" look quiet by comparison!

Dr. Oz's daughter made a smoothie and they had the ingredients up for maybe a half a second before cutting to another shot. There was too much banter and it was too fast paced! I actually felt sorry for her when her father, Dr. Oz himself, came out and started telling embarrassing stories about her when she was a baby, LOL. She was a good sport about it and I laughed my rear off but geez....I had flashbacks to that Woody Allen movie where his mother becomes huge and hangs over NY telling everyone how he used to wet the bed as a kid! Mortification factor: 10.

And they all went on and on about this freaking smoothie like it was the greatest invention of all time when all it was was a typical fruit and yogurt concoction with psyllium husks and vitamin C in it. So what? Like I haven't been making something like that for 20 years already (yawn).

And does Michael Symon know how to make anything other than PORK? Gimme a break already, Michael. I like him much better on his "Cook like an Iron Chef" series.

My favorite moment was when Mario Batali said that there are two types of people in the world, those who are Italian and those who want to be. And then he said that Italians always take portable pizza ovens with them onto the golf course, LOL (he was cooking pizza in a portable oven on a golf course at the time). I split my sides.

And Clinton - Sorry but after so many years as a fashionista I just can't get used to him being on this show. I'm having a "what's wrong with this picture" feeling about him being there. I don't care if he supposedly wrote about food before "What not to Wear". That was a long time ago. He wrote a recent book about entertaining but really I don't see what's so incredible about Clinton's advice other than he's Clinton and everyone knows and likes him so why not? Well OK I guess, but I'd much rather see him on "What not to Wear" than here.

I might watch this again but I'll have to take a valium first to stand it.

OMG, I just got the significance of the title. "The View"...."the Chew".....vomit!

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 2:25 AM

Dr. Oz's daughter made a smoothie and they had the ingredients up for maybe a half a second before cutting to another shot.

I did catch that it stated a teaspoon of honey but she squeezed almost a 1/4 cup into the blender. No wonder they all liked it.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 9:38 AM

I didn't think it was that bad. It was a little slow and uneven, but I think that had more to do with establishing tone and character. I could definitely do without the Oz girl and her giant cranium. I also think Clinton needs to show a little more depth. Did we get anything out of him at all, other than he likes to drink and do things that involve other people drinking?

This may sound stupid, but I didn't expect it to be all about food. I mean, I guess I should have. It's called the CHEW and has three professional chefs, but I thought it would be more of a general lifestyle show.

BillandGrace

BillandGrace

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 3:30 PM

I actually enjoyed the show today, well okay, hated it less. I am NO foodie, so the only person I had ever heard of before this is Mario. Like him well enough. What I like a LOT about him is that he is ragging on the Oz-let’s bullshit. I don’t have a problem with health, per se, but when one person is designated the Health Guru and comes off self-righteous about it, I’m just waiting for her to be knocked down to size. Mario seems to be the one to do that.

Whoopi’s appearance was okay. Liked the pre-taped segment. Joy tomorrow. Then Paula Deen. Ugh for me, everyone else will LOVE her. Wonder if they’ll have pig Sherri Shepherd guest with her “comedy” act of stuffing her face with everything in sight?

Catronia

Catronia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

Wow, this show is incredibly bad. I was looking forward to it -- I really like Carla and Michael Symon, and respect Batali a lot -- but it's a hot mess. SO LOUD ALL THE TIME. Carla's trying way too hard, Batali's natural pomposity is on overdrive, and too much Clinton for me. (Oz woman is boring with her psyllium husks and kale.) And they have to rework the cooking segments: Pretty much everything they made today was just plain not done. Batali's orzo must have been downright crunchy and that sausage raw in the middle, and it was funny how when the chefs were tasting Symon's chicken they were taking teeny bites from the very edges. I'm glad he kept cooking the rest of it, at least. There just isn't much you can cook in five minutes, and chicken thighs are not among those things.

I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it gets any better, but I'm ready to bail soon.