The Chew: We'll Trade You Erica Kane for Mario Batali & His Crocs

• Please log in to reply

1350 replies to this topic

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

I'll believe Valerie Harper when I see it. Have no idea what she would bring to the show that the others don't. Plus they have guests all the time.

PixiesSix

PixiesSix

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

I love Clinton, Michael and Carla. They have just the right combination of goofiness and expertise that I enjoy. Daphne has grown on me since the beginning, and though I still think she is more useless than not, I find her most likable when she has someone else (usually Michael) to play off of. Mario is the only one I wouldn't miss at all if he disappeared, though at this point I would worry that a new host would upset the dynamic they all have.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

Ha, Valerie HARPER (I know it was a typo)? That shit I would watch in a heartbeat - cooking with Rhoda!

The other Valerie has a pretty successful show, so I doubt she'd ever do a daily show like this. I do like her, but she can get a little too chatty, and she wouldn't fill the role of either a chef or a young one. She made cheese balls the other day - hideous 70s crap that needs to be gone forever.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Where has Clinton been?

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I wonder if he is filming What not to Wear. I really hate when he is not on.

Edited by itsmejessica, Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:23 PM.

Refresh

Refresh

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

It was in the National Enquirer 3 weeks ago (I know, but they are right a lot...) that Valerie Bertinelli was in talks to replace one of the women from The Chew. They didn't know which one though.

Ew. Wasn't she shilling for Jenny Craig recently? Aren't those prepaid diet meals? Not exactly the philosophy of the Chew. If they did that, Sounds like a train wreck. I could see her on TheView maybe.

I have a question... Why is there a thing called Dish of the Day if it is always Mario's when he's there? It kind of bugs me.
Every day they ask who has it and shocker... it's Mario!

I miss Clinton.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

I saw Valerie not that long ago shilling her cook book on the Dr Oz show. I think she may have even cooked with the Doc.

Sunfire

Sunfire

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

If Valerie is going to replace one of them it will probably be Carla. I'm only saying this because they're close in age and I would love if that freaky, witch looking woman would get off my screen. I think the show would be much better without her.

LucyEwing

LucyEwing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

I'm a native New Yorker, and I grew up watching and loving John Starks. Holy moly, that brief interview was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen. Both the Chew gang and John had no idea what to do.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

I'm just catching up on the last week and overall I am really enjoying the Christmas shows. Clinton's workshop has been fun and the crew seems to be working well together. I just today watched the ugly sweater show and liked it a lot with one notable exception. That guest who was on Punky Brewster had such an annoying whiny voice I had to fast-forward her scenes. Ack! I'm looking forward to catching up on the rest of the pre-Christmas episodes!

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

My DVR caught a rerun with one of the greatest Chew moments to date: Clinton's mini-quiche rant. It was hilarious. "That makes me the mini-quiche!!!!"

Edited by Harry24, Dec 27, 2012 @ 1:44 AM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Was it Soleil Moon Frye that was on the show or something? Or Cherrie Johnson...I missed it.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Was it Soleil Moon Frye that was on the show or something? Or Cherrie Johnson...I missed it.

If you're asking about the show with the mini-quiche rant, I don't think there was a special guest. The shows theme was freezing stuff. IIRC it had that Australian guy doing a bit in the woods about mushrooms.

ETA: Here's the episode: http://abc.go.com/wa.../the-chew-1225. I didn't have time to check what time the rant comes, but it's during Mario's cooking segment.

Edited by Harry24, Dec 27, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

It annoys me to no end that the producers love Dr Oz so much, they hired his unqualified daughter. Yes, she's pretty, but surely there are real chefs available who can teach us a thing or two about cooking...

Mario Batali, an Iron Chef, a Top Chef favourite and... Daphne. Bit of a joke if you ask me.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

Clinton also has a series of commercials for Macy's right now. The guy sure is busy!

unosurvivor

unosurvivor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

I saw that commercial! You just KNOW Clinton had fun doing it! Love him so much!

Fatkat

Fatkat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

Carla was a loose cannon today and she really zinged Daphne -- not that I minded because I'm not a Daphne fan. Mario was explaining the importance of using certain pastas with certain sauces. Skinny pasta like linguine goes with light sauces and thicker, chunkier pasta goes with heavier sauces. So Carla decides to use an analogy and points to herself and says "Tall goes with thin sauces" and then points to Daphne and says "Short goes with thick sauces." Ouch.

Edited by Fatkat, Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:03 PM.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

Just watched yesterday's new show today. I am really glad the show is out of reruns. I missed them over the holidays!

That said, Cyndi Lauper is certainly on another planet. Wow. I've never seen anyone cut an onion so slowly but then everything she did seemed somewhat sedated. Not sedate, sedated. Her voice, though, made me want to plunge knitting needles into my ears. At the end of her segment, I thought I caught a look from Clinton that he knew her guest spot had been less than successful. He looked at her like he was trying to figure out her species.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

Awe, I like crazy Cyndi. I wonder if she's got thyroid issues? She has a thickening of the neck - beyond bloat, or weight, or fillers.

Another new year and Daphne continues to lean on her elbows, eat, laugh, and talk about drinking half your body weight in water. Can she at least please take an f'ing day off? The show would be just fine without that seat being filled. I can also do without the celebs completely.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

BlueSapphires, your comments on Daphne reminded me: what was up with her wardrobe in the Monday episode? Everyone else made an effort to look presentable but she was wearing a V-neck grey T-shirt that was quite unflattering and looked like she had just come from the gym. Thought it was interesting the way they made her back off her recommendation of colloidal silver by the end of the episode. I figured their attorneys had something to do with making her give that disclaimer ("oh, wait, the Mayo Clinic says this is neither beneficial nor safe. Maybe we should get this loon to walk back her recommendation."). I wish she brought something to the table. When she starts to speak as though she is an expert, it makes me cringe.

ETA: I watched Tuesday's episode today and I ended up having to fast forward when Daphne made her red lentil stew. The recipe sounded good but she was talking so so fast and I just could not stand to listen to her manic delivery after a bit. I made a valiant effort but she is just not telegenic as a solo presenter. She should only be fourth or, worst case, third banana on this show or she is just not watchable.

Edited by jcbrown, Jan 9, 2013 @ 11:15 PM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 11:50 PM

I don't watch The Chew but know enough to get by and was curious to find out why everybody hates Daphne? Carla was on Andy's Cohen's show and he said he was hearing all these tweets & FB question asking if the cast find Daphne annoying. She said no, of course. So, do the rest of the cast & "fans" hate Daphne?

Edited by ByaNose, Jan 10, 2013 @ 1:32 AM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 7:28 AM

Well, you can find lots of stuff online about Mario's alleged dislike for Daphne. My problem with her is just that her role is useless - adding to the feeling that she's only there because of her father. I think she's a nice enough, harmless girl. Bubbly, cute, nice. But so what? DO something. Maybe that's more the fault of producers? I didn't watch in the beginning - did she have a bigger role, or was she always just there to sit and eat and flip the blond hair?

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

I like Daphne. I loved that lentil soup recipe,I'm making it this weekend it looked so good.
I'm glad they're back too. As for the cast not liking Daph I don't see it. Mario didn't seem to interested in her at first but he didn't seem to intrested in anything that was not about him. I think he is better,he seems to be having more fun with the rest of the hosts. I love this show it really makes me Lol at times and I love that they all look to being having a blast most days.

Edited by itsmejessica, Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:58 AM.

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

I watched WWHL w/ Andy Cohen last night as well and when he asked Carla that question about them liking Daphne, she really looked shocked. She then asked, "why, do you guys not like her?" A few people in the audience made noises but Andy moved on. I wished he would have stayed a little bit about it. It is sad that people disliking Daphne brought in more tweets and FB questions than anything. I don't have a problem with Daphne as a person, but she doesn't really fit. Some could say Clinton doesn't fit because he is a stylist, but he is a damn good host and one of the best in my opinion. I think what makes them different is that Clinton doesn't present himself as a food or health know it all. Every once in a while he will make something from his recipe stash but that's only a few times. Daphne is knowledgeable about nutrients in food, but she is not a doctor nor is she a chef. Actually I don't know if she has any credentials other than writing a book and being Dr. Oz's daughter. If Daphne had to leave, they should bring in an actual nutritionist or a certified physical trainer.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

As for the cast not liking Daph I don't see it. Mario didn't seem to interested in her at first but he didn't seem to intrested in anything that was not about him. I think he is better,he seems to be having more fun with the rest of the hosts.

I DVR'ed the December shows to get ideas for the holidays (shredded beet with horseradish was delicious, prime rib was great and idiot-proof, crustless greek yoghurt cheesecake was not good at all--but fixable) and I didn't see any dislike for Daphne amongst the hosts. She's at her best when her role is the questioning regular person--when she does prep with someone else's recipe for instance (and she works with Mario a lot in that capacity). I thought her Secret Santa gift was the most thought out and perfect of any of them and I know Carla is a crier but she was honestly overwhelmed by how much she was going to enjoy 10 classes at Alvin Ailey. Where Daphne isn't her best is as the professional nutritionist because she doesn't have the knack for giving the information without bringing down the happy vibe of the room. But I'd rather have her there as the sidekick anyway and they could bring on a real professional as a guest once in a while instead.

Edited by LT, Jan 10, 2013 @ 2:25 PM.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

As for the cast not liking Daph I don't see it. Mario didn't seem to interested in her at first but he didn't seem to intrested in anything that was not about him. I think he is better,he seems to be having more fun with the rest of the hosts.

I didn't see any dislike for Daphne amongst the hosts. She's at her best when her role is the questioning regular person--when she does prep with someone else's recipe for instance (and she works with Mario a lot in that capacity). I thought her Secret Santa gift was the most thought out and perfect of any of them and I know Carla is a crier but she was honestly overwhelmed by how much she was going to enjoy 10 classes at Alvin Ailey. Where Daphne isn't her best is as the professional nutritionist because she doesn't have the knack for giving the information without bringing down the happy vibe of the room. But I'd rather have her there as the sidekick anyway and they could bring on a real professional as a guest once in a while instead.

I agree. I like them all. Had some doubt at first with Carla (who I loved on TC) but I like them all individually and as a group. Never heard of Clinton and now love that guy and can't get enough of him. Mario seemed to have a touch of "I'm above this" but he has now let that go. Not that he doesn't deserve it. So knowledgable he intimidates me sometimes. And everbody adores Michael Symon. LOL. Professional talk shows don't work for me. I like what Daphne brings me from a nonprofessional perspective.

I love this show. It's a feel good show at the end of the day.

unosurvivor

unosurvivor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

I totally agree with you Kodoboku. I have come to love them all. And Mario did seem a bit above it at first, but he seems to have come to enjoy his part now. I love listening to his stories of the italian cuisine. So very interesting. This show can NEVER Ever run out of topics! Gordon knew what he was doing putting this together and I think having anyone eles in the cast of hosts here would be a mistake. All these individuals compliment each other and each one has their own lovable thing about them. Clinton is my favorite though.

Edited by unosurvivor, Jan 10, 2013 @ 3:10 PM.

vintagegirly

vintagegirly

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

I just discovered this show a few months back and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I do not cook or bake, but still find it entertaining.

I've loved Clinton for years from "What Not To Wear" and he is a hoot as the lead host.

I wouldn't say there is a bad apple in the bunch. :)

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

I'm with the "I like them all" group. I'm even liking Mario now, he's settled into being part of the gang. I don't want to see anyone swapped out for someone else. It's also pretty hard to criticize what they're wearing when Mario's in orange clogs and long shorts and Michael Symon is in Newsie vests (that conversation was a hoot).

However, they need to get some new hair people! After Daphne's Farrah Fawcett disaster on Tuesday, Clinton's hair on Wednesday looked, to quote Thom from Queer Eye, "harriable!" Yikes!

ilalum89

ilalum89

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

I fall on the Daphne is useless and adds nothing to the show and is only there because of her father side.

She is by far the weakest link on the show and I would love to see that role filled by someone who had some actual knowledge of cooking and eating healthy along with some presentation skills.

Edited by ilalum89, Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:44 PM.