The Chew: We'll Trade You Erica Kane for Mario Batali & His Crocs

• Please log in to reply

1343 replies to this topic

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I remember a few years back a show called 'The Home & Family Show' ( I don't know forsure, I will look it up in a min.) but Christina Ferrara was the main host and some guy. It was on each weekday for a couble of hours. It was such a good, helpful, friendly show! The Chew kind of reminds me of that show.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

I remember that show with Christina too. She hosted with Michael Burger. Christina is a very good cook too and was fun to watch on that show.

Maybe one day Christina might make an appearance on The Chew.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Why is Daphne even there? To be the young hot blond one? I find her useless - like a child at the grown up's table.

The Symon laugh still grates, but otherwise I kind of like him. But I find the show boring without Mario. Does he have a lot of time off? He was gone one day last week (I JUST started watching), and now he's on vacation? He's a snotty millionaire tip stealer, but I love the guy.

Edited by BlueSapphires, Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:54 PM.

JustSpiffy

JustSpiffy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Did I miss - hear it a few months ago, or does no one remember that
Mario pledged to cut off his ponytail if his fund-raiser raised a certain amount? I thought the time of fund raiser was over last week and yet there has not been any mention of it.

dog3mom

dog3mom

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I was wondering about the pony tail as well.

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

I find the show to be much more relaxed and friendly when Mario isn't there. It seems like the rest of them have developed a true friendship, whereas Mario gives off an aura (at least to me) of being above-the-fray. He's definitely the most famous and perceived as the most credible, and it seems like the others walk on eggshells around him a bit. YMMV.

dog3mom

dog3mom

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

I do feel like Mario is a bit of a snob.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I find the show to be much more relaxed and friendly when Mario isn't there.

I agree. I actually enjoy the show more when Mario is out, which he often is. He gives off a disapproving vibe some of the time. I understand it--I think he is probably a smart introvert and comes across that way but I just don't think this type of show is a very good fit for him.

Edited by jcbrown, Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:24 PM.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Mario is a bit of a snob

IMO, that is like saying Mt. Everest is a bit of a hill.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I agree Mario could be a little arrogant/uppity but I like him. I like his recipes and am impressed with his knowledge(I like listening to his experiences etc.). I also like the way he and Michael interact and go back and forth with their "digs". It's all in good fun.

I truly enjoy this show alot. And I like the new segment where 3 guests "compete" for a chance to cook. That guy with the roast beef panini was good and then there was a woman who won that I thought could almost have a cooking show.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

After seeing today's show with Olivia Newton John as the guest, it is clear that Clinton Kelly is a National Treasure.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Agreed! Clinton was adorable! He could hardly contain his delight having Olivia Newton-John on the show. It wasn't even put on, he was genuinely overjoyed. I was happy to have caught the show today. I haven't watched since it first started, and it seems to have vastly improved.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Agreed! Clinton was adorable! He could hardly contain his delight having Olivia Newton-John on the show. It wasn't even put on, he was genuinely overjoyed. I was happy to have caught the show today. I haven't watched since it first started, and it seems to have vastly improved.

I concur! It also, appeared that Michael and the others were getting a kick out of Clinton's delight over Olivia Newton John. I noticed Michael cracking up with how much Clinton knew during the Olivia Trivia. It was hilarious!

I actually enjoy the show more when Mario is out, which he often is. He gives off a disapproving vibe some of the time. I understand it--I think he is probably a smart introvert and comes across that way but I just don't think this type of show is a very good fit for him.

I agree. I find that the others goof off and tease each other, and just have chemistry between all for of them, even Daphne. I have been to several Batali restaurants and his father's Salumi Artisan Cured Meats (Loved his dad's place), but he seems so much more less fun than the other four.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

I didn't think I could love Clinton more, but OMG he is the cutest thing ever!

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

I love Mario and all his snobbery and cannot STAND Daphne. Actually I take that back... she's a complete nothing. I have yet to see her do anything that's not bland and awkward.

Refresh

Refresh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

I love Clinton. That was adorable. If he spazzed out every day it would be annoying and unprofessional but the occasional fan moment I just love. Carla had her's w/ Jaime Oliver. They NEED to get Drew Barrymore on there so Michael will act idiotic. That would be awesome.

Does anyone know how many shows they film at a time? Mario is there, not there with such randomness, I'm curious how it all works. On Today's episode (Olivia Newton John) I saw panini sandwich guy in the audience w/ his green shirt (from Yesterday's Sandwich show) so I'm assuming it's at least two per day. They do a good job of changing their outfits and hair - I certainly haven't noticed many tells other than audience members, and the randomness of Mario being there or not.

I like Mario but some of the things he does make me cringe. They're more nerdy than snobby but they play on TV like a word fart. Such as when he was asking Michael whether because if it was still called "Spanikopita" if it is a pie. Which is an interesting question that I'd love the answer to, but it seemed weird to spring it on him then. (Except that Greek is not a Latin based language like Italian so those suffix rules probably aren't exactly the same "-ita" meaning whatever it does in Italian). According to an old cookbook of my Greek Grandma's (Can the Greeks Cook! by Fannie Venos copyright 1950) the pie is called spanikopita and the turnovers are spanikopites. Anyone know if that's correct?

Anyway, Michael handled it well and played dumb in a cute way that only he can. Oh and between Mario and Daniel Balud the other day, I thought there was gonna be an elbow thrown. Two big egos there. Ha!

Edited by Refresh, Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:59 PM.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Does anyone know how many shows they film at a time? Mario is there, not there with such randomness, I'm curious how it all works. On Today's episode (Olivia Newton John) I saw panini sandwich guy in the audience w/ his green shirt (from Yesterday's Sandwich show) so I'm assuming it's at least two per day.

I don't know about The Chew, but I know Live with Kelly and The View tape both their Thursday and Friday shows on Thursday.

I loved today's show with Olivia and Clinton was beyond adorable. Olivia remains as sweet as I remember her, but she really needs to dial back on her cosmetic procedures.

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I saw the show when Daphne surprised Clinton with Jo Beth Williams? (I think that is her name) . Anyway, yesterdays show was so funny! Clinton is just the most cutest, loving sincere, sweetest , down to earth man I ever saw on as a telivision personality! I had a smile on my face watching Clinton EVERY second and he was just ADORABLE! You can tell Michael thought it was cute as hell too (as the others) because they were keeping their eyes on Clinton too. By the way, I made the Ricotta Fritters that Michael made last week this morning and they are GREAT! Very easy. I have made alot of The Chews recipes and I havn't been disappointed yet. This show is a hit and they better not ruin it by swicthin things up. I don't care for that Ausi and I'm not a fan of Ma Ma T but this show has found it's place in my t.v. world and I look forward to it every day.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Oh my god, Clinton was hilariously adorkable! I just love him.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Oh my god, Clinton was hilariously adorkable! I just love him.

LOL. Me too. I never knew him before this show. I like him....alot.

Anyway, Michael handled it well and played dumb in a cute way that only he can.

OMG. Isn't he like the greatest guy ever? Everything rolls off of him. He is so good and doesn't know it (doesn't show it anyway). Love that guy.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

I love this show it's hilarious and silly, and just plain fun. I agree that Clinton Kelly is a great entertainer and hilarious, and what a great body; however, he looks rough for being in his early 40's. I'm thinking that he needs to lay off the booze!!!

And I love all the digs at each other!!!!!

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

AW The Chew was interupted yesterday in my area due to Jr. Seau suicide. Yes, I think Clinton does have a great body ! I will watch the show now online.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

"Mock chicken legs" recipe from Mario's mom. Is there a reason they didn't call it City Chicken? Isn't that what it's commonly known as? Looked just like City Chicken to me. Is that name trademarked?

Liking the idea of all their moms coming on the show this week. Hope they do the same with the dads on Father's day. (I feel Father's Day, and fathers, often gets short shrift in general, but I notice it on talk shows like this. It's always all about the moms. And I love my mom a lot, but I love my dad a lot too.)

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:01 AM

I can't believe that this show has managed to make Carla's terrible culinary "skills" work, but it has. They have her do a segment on odd days, pair her with someone with even less skills than her, and let her rip--but only in the most minimal ways. Today, she got to cook meatloaf, which is about what she deserves to cook, and paired her with Clinton. Maybe when her mother visits, she can cook mashed potatoes and the producers can pair her with Daphne.

When Mario doesn't appear, I skip this mess. When he does, it's worth an hour of my time. He and Michael are the only ones worth my time, and Clinton makes it fun, but Mario always brings something interesting to the table, whereas Michael is very "flyover" and the rest of the cast is incompetent.

I'd enjoy the show much more if Carla, who mercifully never gets to really cook on the show, were just disappeared, and the authentic stars of the show were left to shine. But I think the show cares less about cooking and more about "entertaining," so the doofus with the crazy eyes and severely limited skills will hang on.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Carla's terrible culinary "skills"

Lord knows I'm no expert, but having watched Carla compete and nearly win twice on Top Chef it seems to me that her culinary skills must be top notch. However, I find her TV-hosting skills substandard, even though I think she's quite charming. Plus I love her relationship with Clinton.

Speaking of Clinton, did anyone catch what made him so embarrassed during the "Material Girl" revelation today?

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I've just discovered this show and love it! I've really enjoyed seeing all the mom's this week too. I think Clinton was embarrassed about the "Material Girl" revelation because one of the other hosts asked him if wore all the bracelets like Madonna did in the video. I also like that they keep the recipes fairly simple.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

When Mario doesn't appear, I skip this mess. When he does, it's worth an hour of my time.

Funny enough, I actually feel the opposite about Carla and Mario. While I find Mario to be a good contribution due to his vast base of knowledge, I find him to be very haughty and snobbish. The way he interacts with his co-stars and the guests just reinforce that idea, i.e., yesterday episode with Clinton's mom where they got to choose a winner's dish to make, where he just rudely stopped the woman and said that part of the process was to talk and make the dish at the same time...thankfully the woman just laughed it off, but it was so tactless and weird.

But yeah, overall, he's snobby, but with that said, I think they should keep the cast. While the rest of the cast I felt gelled together very well, and they have to have Carla, no one there knows anything about baking or desserts. And I've made her onion rings, holy cow, those were good. And I also love her interaction with Clinton and Michael. But Carla seems shy and too polite, she kept getting talked over and cut off.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

Well, I was only slightly wrong about what would happen when Carla's mother appeared: rather than doing mashed potatoes, she got to cook pancakes, which is really in the wheelhouse of her skill level. And she couldn't even get that right--she had to tell us when she came back from commercial break to add melted butter, too! It was very kind of her to make enough for each person to have one, too. Nothing is more appetizing than a single pancake, oversaturated with maple syrup combined with blueberry jam, on one's plate. But at least it was somewhat more appetizing than the ridiculous faces she was making when she was watching her mother's pre-taped segment about Miss Hall's youth. It was like watching someone in week 4 of acting school practicing fairly desperate reaction shots.

I'd rather watch Daphne cutting more radishes.

ellyd

ellyd

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

I don't mind Carla too much, even though she does go over the top sometimes, but I don't think Daphne adds anything to this dish. Michael adds bright notes of flavor. Mario adds depth and a sprinkling of traditional cooking. Clinton is like the directions and keeps everything in order. Carla stirs things up wildly. But Daphne, to me, is like a puddle of oil on the top, just waiting to be skimmed off.

Sorry Daphne fans. She seems like a very nice person, but her personality just doesn't seem to come through clearly.

Edited by ellyd, May 11, 2012 @ 7:41 AM.

furryteeth

furryteeth

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I can't believe that this show has managed to make Carla's terrible culinary "skills" work, but it has. They have her do a segment on odd days, pair her with someone with even less skills than her, and let her rip--but only in the most minimal ways.

JMO here, but I think your post may be conflating culinary skills with presentation skills.

I agree that Carla isn't the sharpest in terms of presentation, but that's a skill you gain over time. The guys on this show all have much more experience than her in that domain. And I think she's gotten better over the course of the show. But she makes mistakes (like talking over people, not asking consistently focused questions of guests, not getting to the point sometimes, not looking at the camera at the right times, etc.) But that's more of a media training issue.

Culinary-wise, I have no doubt that she's the third most talented chef on the show--not as star powered as Mario and Michael, but far more knowledgeable than Daphne and Clinton in terms of cooking. If you'd seen her on two seasons of Top Chef, looked at her online culinary training courses, or otherwise followed her career, it would be hard to argue against this point.

Importantly, she adds balance and variety to the knowledge base on this show. Unlike Michael and Mario, she ISN'T grounded in Mediterranean cuisine. She does much more American, soul food, and pastry chef work than those guys know. And she knows the catering/non-restaurant side of things. I think all of this is important and valuable for a show like this. (Same for Daphne adding the vegetarian and nutrition angle.)

I wish she were a little less ADHD when she talks people through the recipes. I think that's more of the reason she has helpers there than any holes in her culinary ability. But like I said, she's definitely gotten better at this over time. And I love her personality; others obviously don't. But I think she works well with the rest of the cast.