The Chew: We'll Trade You Erica Kane for Mario Batali & His Crocs

• Please log in to reply

1343 replies to this topic

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Actually I enjoyed the WHCP - and seeing the china. I thought she was great, what I would expect.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I,too, thought the segment with the WHCP was very good. She was very poised, as you would expect from someone who is the first person a head of state meets on coming to the White House. I thought it was interesting that her title is "Ambassador". We have a personal acquaintance in the administration who is an "Ambassador" living in the US, whose position involves foreign policy, and think the title is a hoot. I never knew there were people called by that title who were not sent to represent the US in another country.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I don't think anyone's mentioned this but that awful dopey opening seems to be gone - it's just here's what we're doing today, logo, then into the show. I was so sick of that stupid thing.

I see Mario's beginning to play along a little more, maybe settling the lawsuit has mellowed him out?

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

I don't think anyone's mentioned this but that awful dopey opening seems to be gone - it's just here's what we're doing today, logo, then into the show. I was so sick of that stupid thing.

So glad they did that. I never really minded anyone on the opening except Mario. I hated his line in the opening. It made me stabby.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

I only caught 15-20 minutes of today's episode, but I still laughed several times: Carla egging Michael on during the five minute meal, Carla then making a comment about how she's had uncooked before leading Clinton to ask "daddy" (Michael) if Carla was in trouble, Clinton's comment about gay men's soup diet, Clinton's comment about how the kilt is allowing extra air to Michael's "brain," and Michael saying that that was the funniest thing Clinton had said in six months.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Sean Bean is on Monday.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Michael Symon today? Funniest bit ever. He will NEVER take Lizzie for granted after last week. I would have paid to have seen him trying to get the duvet cover back on.

blakec73

blakec73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

me too

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

With the horrible mess that 'The Talk' turned into, to the ridiculousness of 'the View' , I have found my go-to show for laughs, great recipes great tips all around, and no stupid celebrity gossip or politics. I LOVE THIS SHOW! I love Michael, Daph, Carla, Mario and most of all Clinton. This is such a refreshing show!

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Michael Symon today? Funniest bit ever. He will NEVER take Lizzie for granted after last week. I would have paid to have seen him trying to get the duvet cover back on.

Yes, yes. All Clinton said was what did you do this weekend? I'm sure it was discussed ahead of time, but Michael's description reminded me of something that was worthy of an I Love Lucy episode. Too funny!

Guest24

Guest24

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

Could someone please update me on what happened with M.S. last week with Lizzie and taking her for granted?

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Now that they removed the lead in where each host introduced themselves, I've also noticed they don't mention Mario when he's not there. Is he phasing himself out? I would think he has too much going on to do a daily show anyway.

BTW to Guest24, Michael's wife was gone for 10 days and he was attempting to clean the house before she got home.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Guest24, the episode is available online. Just google "the chew.". Michael's tale of woe is right at the start of the show.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Today Clinton did say that Mario was on vacation in Spain with his family.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I actually kind of liked Sunny Anderson on today's episode and I cannot abide her on Food Network. Go figure! Cannot wait for tomorrow's episode dedicated to macaroni and cheese. Macaroni and cheese is my kryptonite.

Refresh

Refresh

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I feel the same about Sunny. Her show is hard to watch, though one time she had a visitor and she didn't annoy me as much. Maybe she's better interacting with people.

But that's not why I came here to post. I don't like that new guy Jason. I find him abrasive and pandering. It's like, ew, get off my screen. There is enough of that personality now on Food Network and I liked that the Chew was a break from that - I call it Man Cave programming. All that yeah, I'm a guy I do guys stuff. He seems like that type. Or maybe I'm supposed to find to find him attractive? I don't. He looks like Donny Wahlburg.

It seems like they're trying to add more perspectives, like Jason or bringing down people from the audience but I don't want to see that. I like the hosts, I like the star guests. I don't enjoy seeing some random person stand up there and then try to carve steak.

I finally watched Friday's pie episode. Was cracking up at the beginning minutes with the sugar and alcohol breakfast. Too funny. That's what I enjoy, their banter and fun and picking up recipes. More, please.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I love this show. Enjoy it every night (DVR).

I don't care for Jason either. Nothing personal. Just don't think he fits here(JMO).

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

I love this show also. Have not watched todays, but Mario has been gone awhile. I wait till evening to watch also. I do NOT care for Jason either. I love Clinton best of all, but yesterdays Mac and cheese show he was so QUIET!!! Maybe he's not happy with the very suttle but THERE changes. I hope Gordan Elliot keeps the "winning" original format! We all see what happened to Paula Dean. She started out as a sweet southern gentle lady, (who's first show's by the way were taped at Gordan Elliots home) She turned into this Fake OTT dirty old lady! Greedy too!

Edited by scout56, Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:38 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

I hope Gordan Elliot keeps the "winning" original format! We all see what happened to Paula Dean. She started out as a sweet southern gentle lady, (who's first show's by the way were taped at Gordan Elliots home) She turned into this Fake OTT dirty old lady! Greedy too!

Agree with you about Paula. But I feel like I've seen enough of this cast with the exception of Daphne in other settings/shows to feel that what we are seeing is who they are. I can't see Daphne morphing into someone different. I didn't care for her at first, but she has grown on me. The show is so much better than the first week or two.

Edited by chessiegal, Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:03 PM.

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

I didn't care for Daphne at first either, and I don't think, (just my opinion) that Michael cared for her either at first, now he seems to really get along with her in that comfortable joking around way. I really get a few good laughs with every episode with this real bunch. They genuinly like doing this show and is comes through so well on screen. They have even mentioned how close they've gotten since the first show, because they didn't know each other. So, Gordan had the perfect group in mind for creating this show, because they have grown to become very close, (family like) . Good JOB Mr. Elliot! Don't change this!

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I don't like that new guy Jason. I find him abrasive and pandering. It's like, ew, get off my screen. There is enough of that personality now on Food Network and I liked that the Chew was a break from that

Agreed! Jason's persona is such a tool and I really can't stand him. Yvette Rios has grown on me partially because she isn't always demanding the spotlight. She actually acts like a correspondent. This Jason idiot actually acts like we should know him already and not only do I not know who he is; I don't care to.

But the show continues its track record of making me like people I can't stand. In addition to Sunny Anderson earlier this week, I didn't hate Fran Drescher last week (enjoyed how she and Michael were talking about their, er, distinctive laughs) and I actually thought Scott Conant fit in really well today!

Is anyone else wondering if they are auditioning hosts to replace Mario?

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I don't know if Mario signed on for a limited time as the "big name" to get the show off the ground, or if he planned on staying but found he didn't care for it (he rarely seems fully engaged in the show -- or appreciative of what others are doing.) Maybe he found he's just too busy with all his other ventures, not to mention the lawsuits.

He certainly seems to be working his way out of the rotation.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

God, I hope so! I have only seen the show maybe a dozen times because I can only stomach the ones without Mario. To me, he acts like he is above it all and doesn't really want to be there at all. But I have never liked Mario, so that may be coloring my perception of his interest in the show.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

I really never understood why Mario committed to doing a daily show with all that he has going on including being on the Golf Channel right now. I don't really miss him and have enjoyed the shows like yesterday when Scott Conant was on and when Sunny Anderson was on. They both have personalities that seemed to mesh with the others, some of the others who have been on have been duds.

msfurious1

msfurious1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Imo, Mario is above all this daytime "talk show" stuff in regard to the other people that they have on this show.

Frankly, I'm surprised that FN didn't launch this type of show for themselves with all the FN "stars" it showcases. You know, daytime, live and all.

What FN shows during the day (and night) on their channel these days is crap. Isn't that pretty much how they started their network back in the day?
I think that they started as late night "live". I remember Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence with Robin Leach. (p.s. what's happened to Tyler? Has he been on? This is just his kinda show)

Except for some new suck ass shows on Saturday (pioneer Woman- and Tricia Yearwood to come :(), FN sucks these days. A live daytime food centered show could've been a way to revive what their crappy channel has become.
With the cancellation of low rated soaps, I guess the networks gave this a go. More advertisers I suppose.

Sunny Anderson. ehh. Paula Deen and anybody else they bring on is just more meh for me.
Anyway, FN has a stable of people that I'm sure would be happy to be to put on the tube "live". They'd be as good and have the same or more to offer as Daphne does.

Most days I'm working when this is on and I would never tape it, but I do come to read the forum at night when I'm reading what I might be missing in the talk show forums.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Watching The Chew right now and Mario is back from a vacation to Spain and Morocco with his family. They did say this past Friday's episode was taped before Mario left.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Maybe Cookie Monster can take over for Mario?

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I loved Cookie Monster on this show. I had to watch it online, due to news preempting the show yesterday, but it was totally worth it--Cookie was so funny. I thought Stanley Tucci was pretty good today, too, actually, other than the fact that he triggered Mario's obsequious "look! I know a celebrity!" thing.

Mario never even changes out of his Crocs on vacation in Spain and Morocco? Really?

Refresh

Refresh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

Earlier in the year when the Swedish Chef was on I almost stopped breathing I was laughing so hard, but Cookie Monster was pretty cute. Tom Waits. Heh. Good one.

I didn't care for Daphne at first either, and I don't think, (just my opinion) that Michael cared for her either at first, now he seems to really get along with her in that comfortable joking around way. I really get a few good laughs with every episode with this real bunch.

I remember speculating to myself that the Michael/Daphne distaste was supposed to be like the historical Greek/Turkish conflict, to the point that I wondered if it was scripted. (I know that's weird. I'm part Greek, and I read into things.) They seem like happy neighbors now. Not scripted.

Thinking back to September, gosh that first show was insane. I didn't love Daphne either, she was the Nutritional Debby Downer. But in time, she's found a way to finesse that insertion of a nutritional perspective that ultimately I appreciate. Balancing it with a weird love of tater tots. When Dr. Oz was on and it was clear how uncomfortable he was at the stove, it sort of put things in perspective. I think she really enjoys eating food and her Dad might be one of those people who just eat because it's fuel. Because he's so high profile and their family seems so competitive... I dunno, she makes sense to me.

I'm not sure the formal philosophy of the show, but keeping a nutritional perspective present makes me believe that crappy food product placement will be kept off. Such as, they're not going to have a week devoted to Velveeta and Doritos or that Mio crap. Slow Cooker week was a little bit clunky at times, but that is a tool that can be used for good (or evil, *cough* Sandra Lee).

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I like them all. Mario had some real attitude yesterday but it was kinda funny. It was a really good show.