The Chew: We'll Trade You Erica Kane for Mario Batali & His Crocs

• Please log in to reply

1343 replies to this topic

VictoriousNY

VictoriousNY

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Didn't see a thread for this show so....

The Chew is an upcoming talk show to be broadcast on ABC, centering on food-related and lifestyle topics.
Set to premiere on ABC on September 26, 2011 replacing the soap opera All My Children, and airing in its former timeslot. It will be hosted by:

Chef Mario Batali

Iron Chef Michael Symon

Top Chef Contestant Carla Hall

What Not to Wear's Clinton Kelly

Nutritionist and author Daphne Oz.

Has anyone been spotting the commercials? (They play them 5x an hour) Looks Interesting....

becca656

becca656

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 3:21 PM

Not excited about what I'm seeing.

My vision of this show has a screaming audience when one of the hosts says just about anything. Many handlers revving the audience up into a frenzy.

I'm home on Fridays, but this won't be one of those things on my to-do list like the soap it's replacing was.

But then again, I'm not the demographic they're looking for. so it's a win-win situation.

Edited by becca656, Aug 10, 2011 @ 3:22 PM.

wigglepuppy

wigglepuppy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 5:33 PM

I love myself some Michael Symon!!!!

I'll check it out because he's on it, but I'm still up in the air about the rest of the gang.

I am also super excited about Anderson Cooper's new show. He's such a Silver Fox! lol!!!!

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

How many View clones do we need on daytime? Thanks, I'll pass.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

Has anyone been spotting the commercials? (They play them 5x an hour) Looks Interesting....

Have not seen them ,but love Micheal Simon.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

I can't believe Carla sold her soul.

Not home at noon an won't be recording this although I respect Batali, Symon and before I heard Carla was going to be part of this adored her and her teddy bear hubby.

It sure ain't going to last 40 years like the show it's replacing.

HATE the direction daytime is going, but hey, it's cheaper than paying people who have worked for the network for over 40 years in some cases (thinking of Lucci and Slezak, but I'm sure there are others).

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

I like all the hosts - especially Michael and Mario. But this same clone has been overdone. Don't expect it to last long. But I'll watch.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Actually, I'd prefer it if it replaced The View, instead.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 2:02 AM

I cannot wait to see Carla Hall on tv every day. Hootie Hoo indeed! (small voice, hate the title).

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Clinton and Carla...I'll have to check it out.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 2:58 PM

I'm not bitter about this mess displacing All My Children. The problem is The Chew is not offering anything that's new; from the preview it looks like it's a cross between the Rachael Ray and the Nate Berkus shows. Until these fools appear to have something new to say, I'm going to have to pass.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

I will have to take a pass, too. I'm watching AMC now since it is ending, but I haven't been interested in it in a long time. The Chew isn't something I'd be interested in either - like we don't have enough of these food shows.

starketcher

starketcher

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 7:29 PM

Not an AMC watcher, but this sounds insufferable.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 4:53 AM

I don't watch any of the daytime talk shows, but I may check this one out. I really like Clinton Kelly and Michael Symon, and I adored Carla on her season of Top Chef.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

I'll DVR the 1st week & check it out, because I love Chefs Batali & Symon, & Clinton Kelly. IMO it will either be fantastic, or a flaming failure right out of the gate.

Mermaid Under

Mermaid Under

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 6:37 AM

I only saw the commercials a few times. Honestly, the concept and the title sounded so ridiculous I thought I must have imagined it. Is Daphne Oz part of the new Oz franchise?

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

Daphne Oz is Dr. Oz's daughter.

If the promos for this dreck aren't making me anticipate this nonsense. You mean you can use smaller shrimp as a substitute for jumbo shrimp? That's not groundbreaking advice.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

Well, it's not like they think the daytime audience is smart or anything.

KatrinaJ

KatrinaJ

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

But notice how trendy they are, mentioning a food truck and all.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

Rushing out now to buy orange Crocs.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 2:35 PM

You mean you can use smaller shrimp as a substitute for jumbo shrimp?

Wait, what? I don't have to follow a recipe exactly?

I don't have to use a vase for flowers?

My world has been turned completely upside down.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

I can already foresee people on here nicknaming this show the Chud.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

I can already foresee people on here nicknaming this show the Chud.

Nah. I'm calling it the masticator.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 3:12 AM

You'd think Babs/Geddie produce this show the way ABC is using the View to promote it. Not only was the show getting publicity all week on the View but next week during its premiere week Whoopi (Tuesday) & Joy (Wednesday) are on as guests:

MONDAY, SEPT 26 – Chef Mario Batali, via satellite from his second annual Swing Session Celebrity Golf Classic, demonstrates his secret for perfect pizza making.

TUESDAY, SEPT 27 – Academy Award™ winner Whoopi Goldberg (“The View”) joins Mario Batali for a personal tour of Eataly, the largest artisanal Italian food and wine marketplace in the world; entertaining tips and tricks and the premiere of “Five for Five.”

WEDNESDAY, SEPT 28 – Comedienne/talk show host Joy Behar (“The View” and HLN’s “The Joy Behar Show”) shares her ultimate lasagna recipe.

THURSDAY, SEPT 29 – Paula Deen drops by and shares her favorite southern comfort recipes; tips on how to cook for two, and a special surprise give-away.

FRIDAY, SEPT 30 – Co-host Daphne Oz’s visit to the Orange County Fair; quick fixes for entertaining nightmares.

Edited by curbed, Sep 24, 2011 @ 3:16 AM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 10:04 AM

What's the surprise give-away on Thursday ? A special treat with Sherri and or EH's gluten free health bars ? Or is the Friday entertaining nightmare quick fix involving Barbara Walter's personal (little people)help staff ?

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

Every time I hear a commercial for this show, I think they are saying "The Jew".

They should just call it what it is---cheap programming.

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

Sounds like boring redundancy to me.

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

Ugh. It all seemed, very, I don't know, "corporate trade show"? So much nauseated me: the forced perkiness, the forced laughter at forced jokes, the forced hipness (Yo!), the obligatory audience-applauding-wine-added-to-a-dish, the beige-ness of it all...

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

So fatty Batali was on a remote and not in the studio. Did he plan that golf course outing on the same day that Doctor Oz appeared in the studio and hide from his tape measure. Surely, Daphne is going to have to address Mario's extra large girth measurements.

My first impression during the first half hour reminded me of some type of TV info commercial.

Edited by King Cat Sam, Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:03 PM.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

Not a good start. Going into this, I already like Michael Symon, Mario and Carla sooooooo much which made me curious and made me tune in. Well, Bony Prominence stated what I felt too -- it felt very Trade Show/QVC/Infomercial to me. The fake laughter and way too much dumb clapping, the yelling over each other, the frenetic talking... I did NOT like it. Daphne Oz has zero sense of humor -- Carla and Dr. Oz were both trying to tease her a little bit and she wasn't having it. Her dad was speaking and she wouldn't shut up. The noise level of the show is way too high. Carla was crowded out because she is so polite. I will tune in again in a couple of weeks to see if they've fixed the many problems. I am sure that the "All My Children" fans are just livid -- must be thinking "they cancelled our beloved show for this??"

Edited by MerBear, Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:11 PM.