X Factor (US)

• Please log in to reply

4907 replies to this topic

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

So they signed Britney for $15M. Holy crap! I'm totally watching.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I think Britney is just doing this show to spite Christina. She is totally gonna steal all the attention away. It's gonna be a trainwreck, can't wait.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Thats why I think getting Britney was a good idea. I think she'll be a terrible mentor but from a television perspective, people will tune in to watch the trainwreck. At least at the start I think.

Orwell1984

Orwell1984

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

I really doubt that Britney's people (Dad/fiance) would let her do the show if they weren't assured that it wouldn't be a trainwreck. I'm sure they have will have editing approval for the non-live shows and will have hired the best scriptwriter's available for the live portion. If anything, unless she turns out to be a fab mentor, I think people will be disappointed.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

I agree that Britney's handlers must have made sure there will be some measures in place to prevent a trainwreck, but I'm still dubious.

Demi Lovato seems like a pointless choice since they already have a (former) teen queen on the panel.

I think Demi is a blatant attempt at grabbing the attention of younger viewers. After all, it's been awhile since Brit was a teen queen. But the first thought I had was that it was quite a coincidence that, out of ALL possible people, 2 out of 2 have a history of mental health issues. Britney makes sense, especially considering Xtina is on The Voice, but quite a few other current teen idols could have filled Demi's chair. So, like MV007, I can't help thinking that there is an undercurrent of "tune in to watch a meltdown!". Granted, this might never happen, but still.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Since this is now official. I am betting Brit Brit will be getting the girls. Demi Lovato will get the boys. LA Reid the over 30s and Simon with the groups so he can make a teen boy band ( since apparently they are back)

Edited by blaase, May 14, 2012 @ 9:46 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Thats why I think getting Britney was a good idea. I think she'll be a terrible mentor but from a television perspective, people will tune in to watch the trainwreck. At least at the start I think.

This, this and this. From a "We want our show to be great so someday it'll be as big as American Idol" perspective, this is an ATROCIOUS idea. From a "OMG, awesome reality TV!!!" perspective, this is pure gold. Actually, with Britney I imagine it will be more of a comedy show than reality. Perhaps this thread should move to the Sitcoms forum!

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

I think Britney is just doing this show to spite Christina. She is totally gonna steal all the attention away. It's gonna be a trainwreck, can't wait.

Is the trainwreck persona still current, I don't keep up with Britney but has she done anything crazy since she was put under guardianship? Is this residual from her shaving her head and taking an umbrella to the paps because that was years ago. I really haven't seen anything from Britney that would make me feel she was going to act a fool in the judge's box.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I think she's kept mostly out of the spotlight since The Year Of Crazy, but I think even before then she wasn't exactly known for being too bright or coherent. That Dateline interview she gave back in '06 still ranks in my mind as one of the greatest inadvertent trainwrecks I've ever witnessed. For me, that was a moment where it became clear that this is a star who needs her handlers. I can't imagine what she's gonna do or say on live TV.

Orwell1984

Orwell1984

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

As seen by the American Idol/Paula debacle, these talent shows are only "live" to a degree. The judges all watch the rehearsals and have writers who script their lines. As long as a contestant doesn't derail from a rehearsal performance, there is truly no need for Britney to ad-lib anything.

From the way her father has handled her conservatorship and the tight lease he has kept on her and the media, I doubt he will let improvise her remarks. The last thing he wants to do is jeopardize the "Britney" brand, which since her "annus horribulus" he has been doing all to rehabilitate.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Was she ever officially diagnosed with a mental disorder or was that spell she went through just a nervous breakdown?

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Was she ever officially diagnosed with a mental disorder or was that spell she went through just a nervous breakdown?

I don't know the answer to this question but I can't see a reason why a grown woman wouldn't be able to control her finances unless there was something wrong with her. Judges can't just take that kind of power away from people without a reason.

Orwell1984

Orwell1984

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

That is one of the interesting things re: her conservatorship. Her father has been very careful not to have any leaks as to what her illness might be. In fact, Britney et al recently settled a lawsuit for breach of contract where the company was claiming that conservatorship is unnecessary and that it insulates her from lawsuits since she can't be deposed/examined.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:06 AM

This is a terrible combo. I still say they should've gone with a country star or an urban star for the fourth judge after Britney. Demi doesn't even command that large of an audience for what she does and she's going to draw similar viewers to Britney. Blake Shelton is a surprise hit on The Voice and that audience is there just waiting (and HUGE), but they aren't trying to court them. Then of course any number of younger urban stars could've helped bring in a black audience.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

What I don't understand about having Britney and Demi as judges is that the judge's live show dynamic involves a lot of sniping and trying to undermine each other for decisions they make for their acts. Simon gave Nicole a ton of shit and I was actually stunned by how mean he was to her during the first season. He can't verbally spar with Demi and Britney - they both seem to weak and fragile for that so what's the show going to be like?

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Britney looked miserable in pictures during Fox's upfront presentation. If she looks like she's about to cry at a damn press conference, how are Jason, Daddy Spears and Simon going to get her through the auditions and live shows? What a mess.

Fox and Simon should have thrown all sorts of money at Janet or Mariah.

He can't verbally spar with Demi and Britney - they both seem to weak and fragile for that so what's the show going to be like?

Right?

I don't know about Demi, but I'm going to go ahead and assume Britney is not emotionally or mentally sharp enough to "spontaneously" spar with her fellow judges. Britney just sitting there the entire time, not talking besides when she's prompted to give feedback, is going to be so boring.

Edited by junemeatcleaver, May 17, 2012 @ 4:37 PM.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Maybe they will surprise us. Here is hoping she removes the meds and let Britney be Britney. Before she went crazy, she was actually very opinionated and had spunk. She talked back, but it was so damn charming you didn't know whether to be offended or not. LOL. I miss that Britney.

Too bad this wasn't possible years ago when she still had that life in her. I think she would have been brilliant. Now? Not such much. But here is hoping!

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Well Demi had a mental breakdown, was in rehab and didn't she also punch somebody on tour? Simon might need to be careful before he decides to be too rude to her lol.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Why are people acting like Britney and Demi are brain dead. They both will be very opinionated, but im afraid they will get too emotionally attached to the people they mentor and won't vote them off like Paula did.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I could see Demi being opinionated, but I still find her too young for this type of show (and redundant with Britney). And as for Britney, although I want her for the star power and trainwreck, I haven't seen anything to suggest she's opinionated, has a personality and would be a good judge. I think this is a total unknown in terms of how she will present herself.

BreathexAgain

BreathexAgain

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Lol yes, Britney and Demi aren't brain dead. Demi might have multiple mental disorders but she is far from weak or fragile. Girl is sassy! I can totally see her getting into some verbal spats and arguments with Simon or anyone else on the judge's panel. The type of criticism that factored into her breakdown in 2010 was mainly about her physical appearance/body image issues. Hopefully she stays off the internet and doesn't read the inevitable criticism but it seems that's what she is doing now, so good job to her recovery team for probably suggesting that.

Obviously the whole point of picking someone as young as Demi to sit on the judge's panel as Simon has mentioned was to have a representative of this younger generation, and I know a lot of people have been scratching their head wondering why her. But personally I think she was the perfect choice for the job. She might not have the multi-platinum singles or albums like some of her peers have or whatever else people are using as measures of success, but in my opinion she's the most talented overall in that age bracket. Girl can sang, not sing but she can SANG. Besides having a God given naturally amazing voice, the reason why it's unique and powerful is because of all the emotion and passion she puts behind it. Plus, she can literally sing any type of genre. I saw her live during her fall tour in 2011 (as well as when she was first starting out) and she was absolutely incredible. I'm not even ashamed to admit I cried a few times lol. Also, let me note that I go to a lot of concerts since it's part of my job and if I had to pick a favorite show from that year, I'd definitely pick her or at least put her in my top 3. She was singing her face off, rocking out on guitar, playing the piano, and even doing some choreography to some of her songs (and pulling it off unlike certain people who just look awkward). Her songwriting was less featured on her new album but her self-penned songs are pretty good. She co-wrote a song, "For the Love of a Daugther" with William Beckett from The Academy Is... that in my opinion is the best song she's ever written (and the most heart-breaking). Can't even relate to the song at all but it gave me chills, the evident pain in her voice breaks your heart.

As for being able to mentor/judge, I think she'll be fine. Contrary to what many people think, she is pretty knowledgable about different types of music and has worked with several different producers, writers, etc in the industry. She's co-written with John Mayer, Jon McLaughlin, worked with producers like Ryan Tedder and Timbaland and they've all sang her praises about how talented she is and how quick she is to pick up things. For anyone to use her issues as a reason for why she would be incapable of fulfilling a mentor role in anyone's life is weak (not saying anyone here, I just saw general comments around the internet). I think people fail to realize that recovery is an ongoing battle. She (and Britney) will never be 100% fixed and Demi doesn't even try to front that just because she went to rehab means she's A-Ok again. She's admitted to purging and cutting ever since treatment, and that she leads a very normal life but takes it one day at a time. That's just the reality of it. I think that's the proper message that should be sent and she's not new to being outspoken about her issues either. One of my dancer friends who did a gig with her, not as her personal back-up dancer but did the same show as her and prior to wasn't a fan (especially after that whole punching her back-up dancer incident and everyone in the dancing community knows or has worked with one another), told me how she was having a terrible day. She has a lot of self-esteem issues and she was really doubting herself especially that particular day, not thinking she was good enough, etc and how Demi had noticed during rehearsals that something was wrong with her, so Demi decided to go talk to her for awhile. My friend told me she was really nice, caring and offered some great advice. She could tell she was being really genuine and said her entire opinion changed about Demi and that she gained tremendous amount of respect for her. I know it sounds extreme and corny but my friend said if it wasn't for Demi, she wouldn't have gotten through that day and from somebody who didn't even like her prior to that I think that's saying a lot lol. Obviously Demi is going to be a good aide for the younger contestants, having a couple years of experience going from TV show, recording an album, filming a movie, then touring with pretty much no breaks in between and just being thrust into the industry at a fairly young age when you're more sensitive to criticism and hate, I think she has plenty of experience with dealing with loads of amount of pressure.

And now I've basically written a novel lol. Oops. I'm obviously biased, I know. I'm 24 and I admire the girl. I've also met her a few times and my personal opinion about her is that she's a very strong young woman. She has a past, yes but we all do and she has taken responsibility for her mistakes (punching that girl, drugs/alcohol, being hard to work with, bad attitude, etc). I think it's great she's very vocal about her problems as I'm very avid about mental health awareness but I've also always thought she was extremely underrated and was always being overshadowed by Miley, Selena, the Jonas Brothers, so it's great to see something to this magnitude happen for her. I hope it does wonderful things for her music. She definitely deserves it. No offense to Selena as a person but it always baffles me when she wins awards for her singing because for anyone who has ever heard her sing live, you'll know then she's probably one of the worst singers in the industry right now, so I'm really happy Simon approached Demi and didn't go with somebody like Selena or Bieber who would be that obvious audience pull.

For those who have never heard her sing, Vevo just recently released the footage from one of her more intimate performances she did back in March. You also get to see glimpses of her personality too.

Vevo Concert

And this is my favorite song off her new album (produced by Timbaland and Co.):

Lightweight Live in Concert

Demi's also a big fan/looks up to Kelly Clarkson. Guarantee anytime anybody asks her who influenced her to be a singer, her answer will always be Kelly Clarkson. They know each other but finally got to duet together for the first time last year and Kelly has nothing but extremely nice and great things to say about Demi as well:

Kelly and Demi duet

She also did a How to Love cover that I pretty much fell in love with:

How to Love

And just because rock will always be my favorite genre that she sings:

Remember December Live

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Demi Lovato has an average voice, at best. Makes no sense to have both her and Britney.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Whether you think Demi has an amazing voice or not, she will have opinions because everyone has opinions but will she share them? She has been very open about her problems and the causes and first and foremost she has talked about the negative opinions people have been all too willing to share about her. How is she going to tell someone that they just aren't cutting it? Especially during the live shows when every contestant will presumably have a modicum of talent. Having watched her documentary a couple months back on MTV it seems she is interested in telling everyone that they are beautiful. She's always looking for the positive given her history and while thats a nice way to go about life it doesn't make for good reality TV judging.

Vemsie

Vemsie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Despite reading that long post above I still think Demi is a truly bizarre choice.

She is nowhere near as famous as her fellow Disney alumni such as Miley or Selena, let alone the many other artists Simon might have got. She seems to have serious mental health issues that could make this a disaster for all concerned as well.

I agree completely with the people suggesting a country or urban singer should have rounded out the panel. If it had to be another girl why not throw some cash at a Carrie Underwood or Nicki Minaj ? Both would have made far more sense than Demi.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Yeah, I liked 'Skyscraper' but aside from the Disney connection I'm pretty sure that's about the only thing I really know about Demi, and I consider myself fairly pop-culture savvy. She's in basically the same pop girl genre as Brit was, only not as successfully. She's not super beautiful or a fashion icon like a JLo. I'm not sure what she's bringing to the judge mix. I'm going to take a wild guess that she's got some professional connection to LA, and he's hoping to get a 'The Voice judge' type career boost for her.
It does sound like both girls will be um, malleable, which I think is all Simon wants.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I think LA is enough to represent the urban genres, even though he's not a singer. To be honest, I'd like to see him this year get a category where he can't build an all urban Top 3 for himself. Country or rock would have been a good direction to go, instead of either Demi or Britney (keep one, lose the other) - Shania Twain and Faith Hill both did a good job on Idol, and even Miley should know more about country music than Demi.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

Country or rock would have been a good direction to go, instead of either Demi or Britney (keep one, lose the other)

I agree. I've never been interested in X Factor before, then I saw the news Demi would be on it and I will watch. And I still agree that having both Demi AND Britney is redundant and strange. "um, malleable" might be it. Or maybe they want to change the format a bit and have Demi, and possibly Brit too, be all inspirational and stuff.

Taylor Swift instead of Demi: young, would have covered the country angle, would have been tremendous eyecandy. (Well, realistically, there was no way to get Tay, especially not after paying so much for Britney.)

I disagree that Selena Gomez would have been a better choice. I've checked out her live performances for lulz and the lulz were delivered: she is hilariously bad. She is pretty, but she really cannot sing - like a female Justin Bieber for me. I guess it could be said that she has the X Factor since she is popular, but it would only serve to show that it is not about singing, just marketing. And doesn't X Factor like to sell itself as a singing competition to some degree? I'm only vaguely familiar with all this, but I'm trying to catch up now.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

What I don't understand about having Britney and Demi as judges is that the judge's live show dynamic involves a lot of sniping and trying to undermine each other for decisions they make for their acts. Simon gave Nicole a ton of shit and I was actually stunned by how mean he was to her during the first season. He can't verbally spar with Demi and Britney - they both seem to weak and fragile for that so what's the show going to be like?

I don't know about Demi, but I'm going to go ahead and assume Britney is not emotionally or mentally sharp enough to "spontaneously" spar with her fellow judges.

It depends on if you think a serious history of bulemia, self-injury, occasional bipolar rages, and alcohol and drug abuse puts Demi in a bad place to spar with Simon. She's been on a recovery track for a few years, then again so has Britney.

She's a lot better spoken than Britney, but its kind of hard to measure ahead of time how that will manifest in a format like this.

Edited by WileyCoyote, May 20, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

The great irony of Demi Lovato being picked as a judge/mentor is how L.A. didn't know "Skyscraper" when Drew performed it last season and even called the song one "for people who are 40."

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

I really don't think the genres matter at all unless its going to impact the judges decision making as with LA loading his team up with his "genre". Really though I just want people to be honest about what they are listening too when they crtique on the live shows. And it doesn't matter where you come from musically if your able to give concise good critique.