X Factor (US)

• Please log in to reply

4907 replies to this topic

topoftheworldma

topoftheworldma

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Britney Spears needs to finish rehab before she tries to do anything else.

And she can't sing either?!?! How is she going to judge a singing competition?

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Can Paula sing?? Can JLO sing?? Ellen?

Edited by blaase, Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:01 PM.

totallybff

totallybff

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Paula's in her kooky way was an interesting judge, but JLO and Ellen made terrible judges on AI.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

I don't think Britney's handlers will allow her to join. They know the hate that these judges get, and they won't risk it.

Regarding Pink, you could say the same (minus the baby) for Adam Levine or Blake Shelton.

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

So possible Judge replacements for Nicole and Paula are Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Pink and Mariah Carey.

Simon floats those names for press attention. He did it before X-Factor debuted, too, as if anyone would believe that he was talking to a bunch of A list singers but then dismissed them in favor of Cheryl, Paula and Nicole.

Britney Spears is so tightly controlled due to her erratic behavior/mental health problems that she doesn't even do press interviews anymore. There's no way her father and other handlers would let her near a show that takes this amount of work and involves so much spontaneous interaction on live TV. Pink's record sales and tours are still too successful for her to need a gig like this. Janet Jackson has been concentrating on acting and doesn't seem to have the personality for this type of show.

The only one I can believe they may actually be talking to is Mariah Carey, because she has the connection through both L.A. Reid and her husband (who works a similar gig for Simon on America's Got Talent). Also, Mariah has always disliked touring, which is the primary way recording artists make money these days. I imagine that with two kids she would find touring even less appealing now, so a bunch of millions to sit around and do X-Factor might be an appealing paycheck. Plus I'm sure Mariah has taken note of the way American Idol revived Jennifer Lopez's career, and the image boost that Lopez and (to a lesser extent) Christina Aguilera have gotten from being judges on their shows. Those are two stars who also had difficult diva reputations, like Mariah, but softened and improved their reputations by the public seeing them interact with contestants.

Regarding Pink, you could say the same (minus the baby) for Adam Levine or Blake Shelton.

In the Rolling Stone cover story last month, Levine freely admitted to taking The Voice gig because Maroon 5 had been struggling without any hits for awhile and were no longer booking the venues they wanted to. He hoped the Voice gig would not only be a change of pace but also boost Maroon 5's fortunes (it worked). Blake Shelton wanted to appeal to those outside country music. Pink has neither of those problems.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Pink having a baby might be good for a show like this. It keeps her in the spotlight and helps promote her gigs, but she doesn't have to do as much travelling. I think Janet Jackson is someone they need to secure badly. She's made for a show like this and is also a true superstar. I think if the rumors of her turning them down are true, then she's been foolish.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I think if the rumors of her turning them down are true, then she's been foolish.

I'm not so sure that them needing her equates to her needing them. If she's happy with her life and career, I don't see why she would need to go on a reality show or how it's foolish that she'd turn them down. If she's above this kind of 3-ring circus, good for her.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Britney Spears is close to signing a deal to be a judge on X Factor.

Maleficent

Maleficent

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Nope, Britney rejects the 10 million dollar offer, which is probably for the best. She would have been good for show ratings, but her tendency to be non coherent and a hot mess wouldn't have done her any favors.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

I figured that Britney's people wouldn't take the risk of so many live appearances. And I don't think Britney's own mental stability is strong enough to withstand months of screaming, crying contestants.

I wouldn't be surprised if Britney appears as a one-off guest "mentor".

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Watching LA Reid introduce Chirs Rene on Ellen was really nice to see. But it just makes me dissapointed that he didn't mentor the girls. I would have loved to have seen where he could have taken Drew, not just on the show but post show. I think Rachel is going right where she belongs on Nickelodian but Drew will probably never be heard of again. But if she had been on LA's team I think she would have lasted long enough to get a deal.

love danielle

love danielle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Chris Rene on Ellen was surprisingly good. He looked good too. But it looked like he had dental procedures done to correct his teeth. Or maybe the microphone was too close to his mouth. I'm happy LA took him under his wing. Hopefully he will have great success.

Wanton Down

Wanton Down

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

He'll use a trickle of rumours about who he's going to pick to keep in the news cycle, but really, who's going to tune in for a Cheryl Cole?

If they touted Cheryl as the new girl on the block, I could see her helping to make this show a hit. She's fresh, she's interesting, and she made quite a splash in the two episodes that she was on--not to mention the fact that she's stunningly beautiful and a pretty solid dancer and performer to boot. Her contestants won two of the three season of UKXF she judged and if they threw her in alongside an established country-pop superstar like Shania Twain or Faith Hill (someone who has had success on both country charts AND pop charts, hence an ability to diversify) I think they would have a pretty solid judging panel.

Edited by Wanton Down, Mar 16, 2012 @ 2:31 PM.

Margarita

Margarita

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Anyone else still think Paula could be back? I remember them pulling this stunt on UK XF with Louis Walsh and he ended up coming back because Simon realized he "made a mistake."

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

This just isn't going to work. The Simon Cowell games of playing with the tabloids rely on anyone caring. While the US has plenty of tabloids to cover these shenanigans, and it will be, it won't result in ACTION. People will read the trashy covers (or more likely breeze through the article online), chuckle, and move on. It won't result in curiosity seekers tuning in.

Fox, meanwhile, is seeing that Idol is still getting decent numbers. While its true they don't really have to choose between the two, since they have a whole year to fill, I think it puts a cap on the kind of ratings, the dollars spent, and the frustration they'd put up with from Simon.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Idol has lost so many viewers this season I really wouldn't be surprised if they had a judging shake up themselves next year. It's lost on average almost 5-6 million viewers this year and is lower rated than NCIS. I think the 10 year anniversary held them up last year.

Anyone else still think Paula could be back? I remember them pulling this stunt on UK XF with Louis Walsh and he ended up coming back because Simon realized he "made a mistake."

I could see that happening, but that would be a huge failure IMO. At the very least get Kelly Rowland over since it would be so easy to fill her spot in the UK show. Out of the two females I feel one needs to be HUGE and the other needs to be current. Rowland can fit the current part and pair her with a huge country star or something. I'd also keep pursuing Janet Jackson.

aps817

aps817

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Has anyone heard Marcus Canty's new song? It's quite good.

http://soundcloud.co...ont-make-a-fool

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Out of the two females I feel one needs to be HUGE and the other needs to be current. Rowland can fit the current part and pair her with a huge country star or something. I'd also keep pursuing Janet Jackson.

Kelly Rowland? What's current about her? She's had a minor dance hit in the last couple of years, but I think the man on the street would know her as Beyonce's long-ago ex-backup singer, if he knew the name at all.
I think what he needs is someone with a strong personality; the problem with Nicole and Paula is that they were just 'there', wavering, blubbering, never really saying anything interesting or incisive. Whoever he gets has to have a genuine point of view, and not be afraid of him. I watched Janet on Celebrity Apprentice, and I wasn't too impressed by her.

lanter

lanter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I watched Janet on Celebrity Apprentice, and I wasn't too impressed by her.

I believe it was LaToya who was on Celebrity Apprentice. Though I don't think that Janet has the personality to be a judge on this show either. Pink, on the other hand, would be awesome. Unfortunately, I doubt she would sign up for this circus.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I believe it was LaToya who was on Celebrity Apprentice.

Oops, you are right! No wonder I wasn't impressed, huh?!

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

I thought all the judges and the host should come back except Nicole. I like her well enough, but she's not very articulate.

metoo1778

metoo1778

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Part of the reason I watched was for the "Simon and Paula" show. (shrugs) I like them together. Simon isn't near as much fun when Paula isn't around.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

I saw Mario Van Peebles's new film We the Party today, and Simone Battle is the focal young female. She, of course, gets to sing in the film and has another song over the credits. I can't really say if she has any acting talent or not; she was just kind of there. That said, she at least didn't come off as obnoxious as she did on the show.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 5:43 AM

Kelly Rowland? What's current about her? She's had a minor dance hit in the last couple of years, but I think the man on the street would know her as Beyonce's long-ago ex-backup singer, if he knew the name at all.

Rowland had a #1 single in the US last year, Motivation...hardly a minor dance hit, but since you mention it, When Love Takes Over was a huge seller worldwide and sparked David Guetta's current success stories. She's completely turned her career around.

The last on Rowland is that Cowell wanted her for the US version, but ITV wants consistency with their panel and it looks near-official that she'll be staying with the UK version. Good for them, but I thought she did such a great job and would've been a better fit on this show.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Kelly Rowland is super small time in the US.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

With One Direction being nearly everywhere, I am positive Simon will be putting a teenage boy band through next season.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:44 AM

Apparently the new judges are Britney Spears ($15 million deal) as HUGE and Demi Lovato as current. Link

I'm intrigued, but also vaguely uncomfortable due to the "hot mess" potential.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

I can't imagine Demi Lovato being of any use. She has gone through some serious mental health issues. And its a wonderful story but if there was ever going to be a judge who wouldn't criticize a contestant it is Demi Lovato, the girl who had a mental breakdown in no small part due to being criticized.

I also don't expect Britney do be of much use. But Britney is full on crazy and is probably worth the trouble because she'll attract viewers.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Oh thanks Simon. I'm OUT.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I can't see Britney being anything other than a empty shell of a puppet who will parrot lines fed to her via an ear piece or recite a bunch of scripted bullcrap.

Demi Lovato seems like a pointless choice since they already have a (former) teen queen on the panel. With Demi's post-rehab positive image, I can't see her giving any kind of criticism beyond boring platitudes. Simon couldn't give Brandy another chance at judging on one of his shows? Heck, I think Miley (Demi's alleged competition for the spot) would have been a better choice.

But, meh. This upcoming season couldn't be worse than last year, I'll give it a shot.